Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 31st July 2013, 11:42   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B

Another 3B, another 3B, one in Poona, one in my house, 3B with the mechanic and his is ill and working on another 3B

Like... are you manufacturing 3Bs?

Andy

Here I am have so far been unlucky finding 3Bs, despite BHPian Deepak assisting me on full steam
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 11:57   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Another 3B, another 3B, one in Poona, one in my house, 3B with the mechanic and his is ill and working on another 3B

Like... are you manufacturing 3Bs?

Andy

Here I am have so far been unlucky finding 3Bs, despite BHPian Deepak assisting me on full steam
Andy Ji nahi, i do not have too many 3Bs. One at Poona (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...earning-3.html (CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning)) and one at home.
Thats it. I can not afford more jeeps now.
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 14:30   #93
BHPian

Shubs,
Next tme you go to your vilage, I will also come with you. Who knows, there may be a barn there and inside the barn --? A 3B?

Andy

OT: Lately the jeep craze has caught on. the places like Coorg,coimbatore and the hinterlands known to be Jeep havens have lately been churning savaged and butchered CJ3Bs, with diesel engine, RHD, crazy fat tyres,snorkels, 2WD conversion power steering and maultiple fog lights, dhinchak music systems,subwoofers and musical horns. The 3B should be declared as a near extinct vehicle and included in the UN red journal and anyone butchering one will be imprisoned
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 15:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Shubs,
Next tme you go to your vilage, I will also come with you. Who knows, there may be a barn there and inside the barn --? A 3B?

Andy

OT: Lately the jeep craze has caught on. the places like Coorg,coimbatore and the hinterlands known to be Jeep havens have lately been churning savaged and butchered CJ3Bs, with diesel engine, RHD, crazy fat tyres,snorkels, 2WD conversion power steering and maultiple fog lights, dhinchak music systems,subwoofers and musical horns. The 3B should be declared as a near extinct vehicle and included in the UN red journal and anyone butchering one will be imprisoned
Cant speak for the other places but you wont find what you describe happening in coorg. We like our jeeps with 4WD and none of the other junk. Fogs , and meaty rubber yes, but all functional
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 16:05   #95
BHPian

That's a nice jeep you got there.I did restoration of my 56 recently,though it is still under the completion process.Attached are few clicks to increase your paint choice.

Regards

Mandeep Singh
Attached Images

renegade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 21:16   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Cant speak for the other places but you wont find what you describe happening in coorg. We like our jeeps with 4WD and none of the other junk. Fogs , and meaty rubber yes, but all functional
Hi,
Its good feeling to protect ones ground, but reality is something that everybody cant digest.

I trust you attended last Somvarpet OTR, they were some good jeeps and then there were some with the junk, still some worse with diesel engines. No doubt on 4WD and functional etc.

Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 10:36   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Its good feeling to protect ones ground, but reality is something that everybody cant digest.

I trust you attended last Somvarpet OTR, they were some good jeeps and then there were some with the junk, still some worse with diesel engines. No doubt on 4WD and functional etc.

Andy
Protection or digestion, lol..not my intention grace. You need to make a distinction between functionality and bling. Jeeps are functional vehicles, we need them in coorg not for OTRs or adding to a collection, but for practical purposes, work, hauling stuff labourers etc. Dieselizing a guzzler shouldnt be viewed as butchering, its better than selling the jeep to a yuppie from a city who wants to add it to a collection for an occasional mud slug and photo op. Fog lamps, yes they are required in coorg, drive around during the monsoons in certain places like mandalpatti , gaalibeedu, napoklu during the monsoons and winters and youll understand. The cj s in coorg might not meet your text book factory spec but they were not bought to be molly coddled. Peace.
howler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 11:51   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
That's a nice jeep you got there.I did restoration of my 56 recently,though it is still under the completion process.Attached are few clicks to increase your paint choice.

Regards

Mandeep Singh
Mandeep Ji,
I have read this perticular thread twice in 4wd4all, and i can say that passion and workmanship shown is of no match to my attempt. I am not even close to what you are doing. Your thread is the reason behind we thinking of sending our Jeep to bhopal for cosmetic work. Because at my hometown, limited infrastructure, spares and utilitarian approach towards jeep, we are not expecting something even 40% close to what you have done.
Thank you for adding more confusion to my color choice, waiting to see finished product very soon.

Shubhendra
Old 1st August 2013, 12:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Mandeep Ji,
I have read this perticular thread twice in 4wd4all, and i can say that passion and workmanship shown is of no match to my attempt. I am not even close to what you are doing. Your thread is the reason behind we thinking of sending our Jeep to bhopal for cosmetic work. Because at my hometown, limited infrastructure, spares and utilitarian approach towards jeep, we are not expecting something even 40% close to what you have done.
Thank you for adding more confusion to my color choice, waiting to see finished product very soon.

Shubhendra
Thanks for your kind words,it means a lot to me,I'm just usually not a satisfied person when it comes to metal finishing,i keep on learning more everyday and try to raise the bar for myself,not to compete though,but to see these old beauties in different colors pushes me to restore them every now and then.You will have a great jeep in the end for sure,just pay attention to the details and take it easy.

Regards

Mandeep Singh
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 15:17   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Protection or digestion, lol..not my intention grace. You need to make a distinction between functionality and bling. Jeeps are functional vehicles, we need them in coorg not for OTRs or adding to a collection, but for practical purposes, work, hauling stuff labourers etc. Dieselizing a guzzler shouldnt be viewed as butchering, its better than selling the jeep to a yuppie from a city who wants to add it to a collection for an occasional mud slug and photo op. Fog lamps, yes they are required in coorg, drive around during the monsoons in certain places like mandalpatti , gaalibeedu, napoklu during the monsoons and winters and youll understand. The cj s in coorg might not meet your text book factory spec but they were not bought to be molly coddled. Peace.
Hi.
Did not understand your intention either. Nobody questioned the functionality of the Jeep, &

Yes, I am the yuppie from city who collect jeeps,use it for occassional mudsling and photo op and feel proud about it. I prefer all my Jeeps in bone stock condition and all original condition how it came from the factory and willing to pay a premium to whoever is restoring to the text book factory spec.

I lament the fact that a Jeep like CJ3B ARE getting butchered by commercial interests. You have a choice. Go .. feel bad about it.

Andy

Last edited by Grace : 1st August 2013 at 15:21.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 20:18   #101
BHPian

Update: work was stalled from last few months. after first round of testing after mechanical and tinkering work, there were few niggling issues (brakes, point, prop shaft vibration, carb flooding, steering play etc.), which we wanted to address before we handover the jeep to painter. But due to prolonged illness of our mechanic and then sudden demise of his young son, who used to help him at garage, delayed everything. It was out of question to even ask him for working on our jeep and neither did we want to give it to someone else to fiddle (this jeep was an impulsive buy and still we are not sure how much we are going to drive this). Thus we gave it to our painter to rub primer, and finish pre-paint process which he completed in a week. And since then vehicle was parked inside our garage.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9931.jpg

Slot to connect rear door. You need to simply slide it sideways to remove it. Such a convenient feature
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9932.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9933.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9934.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9935.jpg

Yesterday our mechanic called us and though he is still unwell, he wanted to finish our Jeep, and it was decided that we would send our Jeep to his home and he would work on it as per his convenience .In the meanwhile I took old carter carburetor and fuel pump with me to Poona and Genesis is helping me to rebuild them with service kit he has. As of now jeep has Solex carburetor and fuel pump, once I get carter carb and fuel pump, I would either revert back to carter (which depends on feedback from genesis) or keep this set as spare.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dsci0050.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dsci0051.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dsci0052.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dsci0053.jpg

I bought an old switch which must have been used in early 50s – 60s for gas tank switch, as its mentioned in it. But I couldn’t understand the purpose of it as L and R mentioned on it (I intend to use it as an indicator switch). It might have been used for twin tanks in any big vehicle? It’s a remote possibility though. Would appreciate if someone enlighten me with actual use of this switch.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9960.jpg

I also bought an old (but never used) gas tank cover which must be from 50s-60s (would appreciate if someone can give more detail). This gas tank cover has a metal chain attached to it and end of chain can be fixed on mouth of tank. One of my friend is using it in his Jeep (Classic) and it turns out be spill proof. I liked the way people used to pack new products in older days. This cap is wrapped with cotton dipped in grease to prevent rust may be. You need to just unwrap it and clean with diesel and it would look shiney brand new.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9958.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-dscn9964.jpg

Hope to complete mechanical work in next 15 days and entire project by November end!
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 20:39   #102
BHPian

Need suggestion: Which size of NDMS tyre should i go for? There is no doubt that we will fit NDMS only. question is 6.00x16, 7.00x16 or 7.50x16 ? Jeep would be used occasionally with 2-3 adults on. it would be used as weekend outing, jungle trail driving and kuchha village roads.
Should i go for speedways 7.00x16 8 ply NDMS tyres or MRF/Ceat 6.00x16 6 ply NDMS tyres (which are currently coming in Thar Di)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion !

Shubhendra Singh
Old 14th October 2013, 22:05   #103
Team-BHP Support

Go with 7 since you mentioned you would be doing weekend trails. Moreover with 6 engine peaks pretty fast, on a longer drive it's a pain.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 12:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Go with 7 since you mentioned you would be doing weekend trails. Moreover with 6 engine peaks pretty fast, on a longer drive it's a pain.
Thanks Jaggu for suggestion. I want understand one thing though - I was under impression that if i go for bigger size it will increase crawling of jeep and would reduce top speed. Am i correct or its just other way round.
Yeah, driving hurricane engine on highway is pain, it used to be fun 15 years back when we didnt have GQs, express highways and lower powered cars. I still remember, while driving from Jabalpir to Nagpur, how used to maintain neck to neck timing with tour operated buses. Nowdays even empty eicher trucks outrun my MM Classic on Bombay-Poona express way

Shubhendra Singh
Old 15th October 2013, 12:49   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Thanks Jaggu for suggestion. I want understand one thing though - I was under impression that if i go for bigger size it will increase crawling of jeep and would reduce top speed. Am i correct or its just other way round.
Isn't it other way around? larger dia will reduce the crawl (faster crawl)? Similarly top speed would increase.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote