Old 28th March 2014, 14:40   #61
BHPian

Default Re: CJ3B Mix and Match DIY Learning

[QUOTE
Rear light and indicators
Attachment 1215516
[/quote]

Hi,

Could you please share from where you sourced those rear lights?

Cheers,

- Jai
sunwarior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 11:15   #62

Not sure if I should be posting this question here, but where and how do I start looking for a CJ3B in and around Calcutta? I am a novice in terms of jeeps/restoration but I would like to get my hands dirty. Requesting help, guidance and advice from the seniors here.

From what I have been reading, UB Singh sir could be the right mentor, due to proximity to where I live, but I am not able to get his email address or any contact details, except for his address.

[MODS: let me know if I am at the wrong place]
redracham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 16:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwarior View Post
[QUOTE
Hi,

Could you please share from where you sourced those rear lights?
- Jai
Dear Jai,
these lights were sourced from Janseva automobiles, Kurla, Bombay.

Shubhendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by redracham View Post
From what I have been reading, UB Singh sir could be the right mentor, due to proximity to where I live, but I am not able to get his email address or any contact details, except for his address.
Dear redracham,
You cant find a better mentor than UBS sir and he has patience to answer each and every stupid question of ours.
As you are newbie, i am not able to send you PM. but on FB search by the name of Udaybhan Singh.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 18:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear redracham,
You cant find a better mentor than UBS sir and he has patience to answer each and every stupid question of ours.
As you are newbie, i am not able to send you PM. but on FB search by the name of Udaybhan Singh.

Shubhendra
Dear Shubhendra - Thanks. I did find him in Facebook. In fact, I went to his residence and met him. He even walked me through his collection, though I was a complete stranger to him. What a day it was!
redracham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 19:42   #65
BHPian

Ubs knowledge warmth and hospitality has no parallels in this country for me he is jeep god

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
jeepbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 14:44   #66
BANNED

Any update on the CJ3B after the tires were bought along with the rims?

Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 11:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Any update on the CJ3B after the tires were bought along with the rims?

Dear Parm,
Got busy in other commitments, few weeks back we were working on wiring which is almost completed, had to procure few electrical parts to complete fixture of electrical accessories.
After leisurely working on it for more than one and half years, its a matter of few weeks to complete this jeep entirely.

Shubhendra
Old 14th May 2014, 12:11   #68
BHPian

small but significant progress, we started Jeep yesterday, now waiting for cushion guy to deliver front seats so that we can do vehicle run in during weekend along with mechanical tweaking if need arises.
In the meanwhile painter is religiously helping us to paint remaining bits and pieces of jeep.

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc_0082.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc_0083.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 17:06   #69
BHPian

As monsoon was approaching west India, Garage guys got busy in preparing other offroading vehicles. During first week of June we brought two Jeeps from Bombay (these jeeps belong to a good friend and fellow jeeper) Harshil. It was fun getting 1952 Cj2A without brake, light, windscreen, choked radiator to Poona all the way from Kandivali during midnight.

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-10388122_10203080914096504_4823465154294094019_n.jpg

While black Jeep came for AC fitting and other minor work CJ2A came for 4WD conversion (it used to be 4WD but converted to 2WD few years back). I didnt force friend and garage owner to assign dedicated people to these jeeps and decided to get one Jeep ready at a time. Black 540DiTC is completed and all set for monsoon. CJ2A is 80% done, waiting for few crucial spares from Delhi. Now is turn of my 3B, hope to get my 3B free from garage this Independence day after one and half years

Shubhendra
Old 15th September 2014, 17:48   #70
BHPian

Finally took delivery of Jeep and drove it for few kms. Engine is butter smooth and so is vehicle. Only one mechanical issue remains of poor braking, though Jeep has front disc with booster, it will be evaluated during next weekend for permanent resolution.
Jeep is now with hoodwala for hood, rear seat, matting etc. Drama of two years may come to end very soon now. Hope I finish initial testing this Jeep in next 2-3 weeks as this year this Jeep will accompany me in annual Gokak OTR instead of my MM Classic.
Enjoy few mobile cam pics of Jeep, will take proper pics of Jeep once I get it back from garage.

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-20140829_162116.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-20140829_162128.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-20140829_162339.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-20140829_162349.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:59   #71
BHPian

Finally got few more work done during last one week including rear bench seat, hood, rubber matting, role cage rexine cover etc.
Sunday took jeep for OTR with moderate to tough obstacles and it performed more than what i had anticipated.
Sour point was niggle in gearbox which abruptly halted OTR session, Gearbox opened Monday morning and issue is now resolved.
This Jeep will accompany me for offroading almost every weekend from now on for next 2 months, till i sort out initial niggles
Enjoy few picture on Saturday, Will appreciate Mr Sathish Shetty (Owner of Shetty Maruti Service) who helped to finish this vehicle. Paint on this jeep is superb and can give a tough fight to brand new modern cars

I dont have any OTR pics for now but will soon post them as well

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00442.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00443.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00445.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00455.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00457.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00459.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00460.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00464.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00465.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match  DIY Learning-dsc00461.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:08   #72
BHPian

Jeep is driving smoothly and gearbox failure during her first OTR has been corrected.
The only issue i am facing is of excessive black smoke , specially when i accelerate it belches out smoke like municipal corporation bus. Stench of smoke is stronger than smoke of my other XDP engine jeep.
To give you background, Engine was overhauled last year along with fuel pump. we checked air filter (oil bath type) and found it to be okay. injectors were cleaned and fitted.
Only alteration is semi free flow exhaust which has heat proof silver paint on it.
Will appreciate any pointer to solve this problem.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 7th October 2014, 17:04   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Jeep is driving smoothly. The only issue I am facing is of excessive black smoke, specially when I accelerate, it belches out smoke like municipal corporation bus. Will appreciate any pointer to solve this problem.
Dear Shubhendra - check and correct the injection timing. For XDP4.90 engine, it should be 29 degrees before TDC. Mechanics advance this timing to get better acceleration but then you end up getting black smoke. Also, check the valve clearances but before that you will have to retighten the cylinder head bolts by using the "crow-foot" spanner!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 17:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Shubendra it is looking beautiful. I am also thinking of doing up my jeep in the same colour now. The excessive black smoke could be due to non running of the engine for quite some time now. How much kms have you covered till now? Can you please send me some pictures of the rear cross pipe body mounting? How much did the wire loom cost? Does it make sense to make a new loom rather than use a pre fabricated one?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th October 2014 at 17:12.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 16:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Also, check the valve clearances but before that you will have to retighten the cylinder head bolts by using the "crow-foot" spanner!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Dhabhar Saheb, Will do the needful coming weekend, i will get to learn timing adjustment. I have specifications shared by Arka on tighning cylinder head bolts by torque wrench ( i hope crow-foot spanner is same as torque wrench. My engine has run 300 kms approx, when should I change first engine oil and which brand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Can you please send me some pictures of the rear cross pipe body mounting? How much did the wire loom cost? Does it make sense to make a new loom rather than use a pre fabricated one?
Are you talking about rear pipe for hood ? Wire loom is custom made for my need and accessories. For long term usage i will suggest for a custom made loom, its as per your need and you can get your electrician to use very good quality of wires, connectors, insulation tape etc.

Shubhendra