Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th June 2013, 11:34   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

I'd agree with Sudarshan on the highway manners. Yes, the steering is ultra light and has no feedback and scary at high speeds. But after driving for a bit, you get used to it and it doesn't bother you anymore. Same with the offset steering position. This is my personal observation.

EDIT: i haven't tried the elk test and wouldn't want to either. That's for the test engineers

There times when i get sore / upset with BD (apologies in advance again) is because i felt cheated. The 'what do you want thread' aimed at us was actually aimed at selling the concept to MM and we didn't get what was promised. Then we get to see and drive the prototype, the much hyped civic beater. I drove it off the road in Alibag and fell i love with it and wanted to buy it asap. Therefore, my Classic was put on the block. I needed a comfortable long distance offroader to attend far off events. BUT, when the production version was released, it was completely different. The power delivery when needed just wasn't there. Crawl? What crawl. Someone graduating from jeeps really felt the difference compared to someone graduating from a gypsy when compared to crawl or how an obstacle was powered through.

EDIT 2: If you see snaps of the Thar in most FB pages, you will see the Thar lifting off the obstacle while the normal jeep doesn't. This powering through will cause more breakages.

That, is my main grouse. I was shown something and the final product was something else.

Rest as someone put it, there are x flaws and y pros. In your mind (and for your needs) if x>y then don't buy it and if x<y, then go ahead and buy it. If x=y, i'd personally wait for the next upgraded version and re-access.

PS: BD. There are numerous times when you have said, "In production version we could not do xyz stuff but if you PM me, i'll tell you what to do." Why don't you pen down a thread about the possible modifications that could be done to the Thar which was in your prototype version for the benefit of existing users and potential buyers? With your advice atleast it won't be 'juggad'.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th June 2013 at 11:37. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:41   #377
BHPian

Default Re: Why I will buy a Thar

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

I had initially plonked down the booking amount for a Thar.

The dealership messed things up and I went for the CRDE Bolero. After driving the old bolero (peugot engine) my Storm has been an eye opener. As the Team Bhp- phrase goes: Goes like stink.

Test drove the Thar, was almost screaming while driving down the Noida highway. After two years of owning the Storm I still can't stop looking out for the Thar. I am perhaps not very logical and even the wife cranes her neck around when the Thar goes by.

So yeah, I 'm gonna get one. Don't care much for off roading as I don't know anything about it. It will go with me to mountain tops and jungle trails, because I want to hear the canvas top go flap flap in the wind.

And mainly because the wife says that I can .

Call it my mid life crises or what you will, I just love the darn thing and my wife says that she will learn to drive it.

So here's a toast to you - father of the Thar may your passion always inspire us to live & live well.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2013 at 12:02. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this
chaunfa is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:49   #378
BANNED

Smile re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'd agree with Sudarshan on the highway manners.
Thanks, I did not comment anywhere till I did things to my satisfaction. I waited to make comments till I driven it to my satisfaction. Now the off road part remains & I will do it shortly & comment. I will share positively.

Quote:
." Why don't you pen down a thread about the possible modifications that could be done to the Thar which was in your prototype version for the benefit of existing users and potential buyers? With your advice atleast it won't be 'juggad'.
I will buy one Thar in near future & you may see a thread like you wish. (off course with the guidance from the man himself) * As he has said, things which are not possible with Production Line thingy & CMVR can be done on personal level with one vehicle & I see a lot of possibilities.

So wish me luck .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 14th June 2013 at 12:00.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 12:26   #379
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why I will buy a Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
So yeah, I 'm gonna get one...don't care much for off roading as I don't know anything about it. It will go with me to mountain tops and jungle trails, cause I want to hear the canvas top go flap...flap in the wind.
And mainly because the wife says that I can .
Call it my mid life crises or what you will, I just love the darn thing and my wife says that she will learn to drive it.
So here's a toast to you...father of the Thar... may your passion always inspire us to live...live well.
You have oh so dittoed my thoughts! I was actually about to write down the very same thing you mentioned when I ran into your post

The thread "Why I wont buy a Thar" is actually making me think seriously about a Thar to take me through the jungle trails, since the Duster is way overpriced and the 4wd is going to be priced insanely (as a consolation I've bought a Joparu duster just now)

Only impediment now is wife's directive - first upgrade my Santro to a sedan, then I can deal with my mid-life crisis or whatever
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 13:35   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Ahh come on, lets do it together , can we ?? ask Arka JEE ?
You gotta start JEE !!

Quote:
Steering IS good except the upper body mounting that shakes.

ROFL - Come on sudharshan - There is no feedback at all and the vehicle jumps at the slightest undulation on the THAR road and one is often left guessing where and which direction the wheels are pointing at in offroad.

I agree to it doing 140 kph on a open straight surfaced motorway / indian highway, but GOD save you in case a lunatic, a cat, a dog or a buffalo runs amidst
headers is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 14:57   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. There times when i get sore / upset with BD (apologies in advance again) is because i felt cheated. We got to see and drive the prototype, the much hyped civic beater. I drove it off the road in Alibag and I fell in love with it and wanted to buy it asap. BUT, when the production version was released, it was completely different.

2. There are numerous times when you have said, "In production version we could not do xyz stuff but if you PM me, I'll tell you what to do." Why don't you pen down a thread about the possible modifications that could be done to the Thar which was in your prototype version for the benefit of existing users and potential buyers?
Dear Tejas - as usual, I have named your questions as 1. and 2.

Answer to your question 1 - "that Jeep" was a result of my latent desires. It was the best Jeep in India, the Jeep everyone wants (including today's critics in this thread - just chill guys, I know it, just chill!). It was made in my mind, and then translated into a dream machine. You saw the performance and appreciated it. Then, "production / project / timeline / marketing sign-off / meetings in conference rooms / PPRF to FTR" etc happened! I watched, tried to reason, not possible / not interested, so I just smiled and I am still smiling and keeping quiet! What else to do? By the way, I was merrily using the vehicle even in Great Escapes but still nobody bothered to ask or find out! In Alibag (08 August 2010), it was in its best dress level, even more than in EXAMM (25 June 2010)! Soumya (Genesis) and I climbed the rocks and then we called the Gypsy guys up, nobody even attempted, correct Soumya?

Answer to your question 2 - I am not there, MH01V521 is only "physically" still there! . Do you really think it was left there with its core competence intact? You must be joking! HaHaHa!

The world's best ECU is the human brain, not the little black box under the instrument panel!

Dear 1100D (Anirban) - your query, no way! You crazy or what? Its better this way! I am absolutely enjoying my work now, thank you very much!

Dear Chanufa / Mallumowgli - thanks guys! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 15:02   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Those are 32 inch bighorns with steel rims .
I know BD will be happy with the pics
Mr. Behram, your 'sedan' tyres were one of the many reasons why I didnt buy a Thar. Other than fouling fenders, What are the negetive sides of it and how to negate them.

I prefer atleast 750 or 700 X16s (taller not broader) on it, if incase i end up buying one.

- Venkat.
venson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 15:15   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

And you have successfully skirted questions 1 & 2. You have learnt a lot from the paper pushers in the company as well!

To ask the question more clearly:
1. Why show us something and give something else? You never said the production version will be different. You said this is the 'Thar'!

2. Why can't you guide us on the forum. We don't need MH01V521 physically here.

EDIT: Yes, the Thar did climb the rocks in EXAMM just like the CJ3Bs did with more ease. So old school jeep > thar > gypsy? or is that for another thread?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th June 2013 at 15:18. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 15:31   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
WRONG , ohh come on be fair, throw those glasses & taste it. And once you do there is no turning back I bet

.....One needs to have a fair view, enough of Sour Grapes now .

Wish me Luck to acquire one Thar please .

Sudarshan
P.S. forgot about the bad road thing, been through the Mumbai potholes,again No complaints.
With a Thar Sudarshan, all negatives notwithstanding, you will not have any regrets!

I have been using my Jeep for the past one year only as a week-end vehicle.
Now a days, I sometimes use it during the weekdays.
Whatever said and done, it is an eye-ball grabber and THE beast to drive around in town or on highways.

Sometimes I drive late into the night (Meaning: I start the journey at 11 pm and reach my destination at around 3 am).

Until now, I had only trusted my Maruti-Suzukis.
However, now I days I do it in my Jeep, no reliability issues and the feeling is exhilarating!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 16:30   #385
BHPian

Quote:
And you have successfully skirted questions 1 & 2. You have learnt a lot from the paper pushers in the company as well!

To ask the question more clearly:

2. Why can't you guide us on the forum. We don't need MH01V521 physically here.
exactly my point

and when I asked, someone mentioned that there is ENOUGH info on the forum! (good luck finding out)

and I am not someone who is waiting to buy a thar after I learn all that on the blog/forum. I ALREADY HAVE ONE. and using it. and want to improve it.

I am sure someone will laugh online again HAHAHA
pvrajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 17:28   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
I want to hear the canvas top go flap...flap in the wind.
I just love the darn thing and my wife says that she will learn to drive it.
\
Seriously I just loved this post, you have spoken for many dude, at the moment I am dreaming as well, some day its going to come home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The thread "Why I wont buy a Thar" is actually making me think seriously about a Thar (as a consolation I've bought a Joparu duster just now)
Yep, totally agree, Thar is easily the most talked about product on BHP, both positive and negative helps in marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post
exactly my point \
Hi pvrajan,

As a customer I think you have every right to be upset if the end product is fails to meet your expectations.

Just a suggestion from my side, maybe this has already being done. Why don't all customers collectively raise an issue with Mahindra top management and showcase your issues?

Individual cases, I am sure will never really get the attention it requires, but on a collective note it will definitely shake a few branches.
While forums are good, they are not really the most organized way, and many a times communication would be lost in the pages of frustration.

While I read, I see that many customers and users are well known and have sound technical know how to present the case as well.
In fact Mr.Desertfox, being an International Off-roading champion, his views would/should be taken seriously. (I think I read it somewhere in this thread, am I right?)

That I feel should make an impact and 'maybe' result in seeing some positive steps taken to correct most of the known issues of the Thar.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 09:30   #387
BHPian

Hi all,

I think we should use our energies in raising this to M&M than troubling Mr.BD. He has already done his part.

We have other members from M&M on this forum. They probably yield more influence than BD with the management. The new thread should be "the Thar that I will buy" and probably list the things we want fixed.

I am ready to put upto 10L on the table if the Thar comes equipped (similar quality standards and equipment level) like my Figo Titanium or Equivalent. M&M wake up or you will miss the bus. The Thar can be much more than a niche player. It could easily be the bachelor's duster!
rohing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 11:48   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Hi all,

I think we should use our energies in raising this to M&M than troubling Mr.BD. He has already done his part.

We have other members from M&M on this forum. They probably yield more influence than BD with the management. The new thread should be "the Thar that I will buy" and probably list the things we want fixed.

I am ready to put upto 10L on the table if the Thar comes equipped (similar quality standards and equipment level) like my Figo Titanium or Equivalent. M&M wake up or you will miss the bus. The Thar can be much more than a niche player. It could easily be the bachelor's duster!
Please start a thread as you desire.

Again 10 lakhs is a high price for a vehicle that one wants to use offroad and I meant serious OTR.

The duster is also over priced if one compares features, but its ride and handling, completely over shadow its lack of niceties.

And yes, the traditional MM 5?0 shape is doing the sales for the Thar

Edit: doubt anyone troubling DB at all

Last edited by headers : 16th June 2013 at 11:49.
headers is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 12:22   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Why don't all customers collectively raise an issue with Mahindra top management and showcase your issues? Individual cases, I am sure will never really get the attention it requires, but on a collective note it will definitely shake a few branches.

In fact Mr.Desertfox, being an International Off-roading champion, his views would / should be taken seriously. That, I feel should make an impact and 'maybe' result in seeing some positive steps taken to correct most of the known issues of the Thar.
Dear Salil (Trojan) - oh my God, this is too original and too good! I am eagerly looking forward to it. It will very interesting to watch the conversations that poor "Desertfox" (God help him!) will try to have with the "Corporate Slyfoxes"! I suggest, please record it and circulate it, it will better the "Hitler Film".

Dear Shahidbhai - I have the highest regard for your knowledge and capabilities. I would like to add a small word of caution (if I may so indulge). Please be very careful, or else they will convince you why this vehicle should not be made at all! Also, please wear a cap to prevent you tearing your hair out!

Therefore no HaHaHa and no smilies here, I am dead serious. ALL THE BEST!

Dear Rohing - your requirement may be justified but @ 10 lakhs, volume will be low. At the dress level you are asking, investments / timelines will be very high. Business case will become negative and priority will become non-existent, the vehicle will die! Please don't give any suggestions which can be used to kill the vehicle.

I KNOW WHAT I HAVE MADE. IT IS SELLING, JUST LET IT SELL PLEASE, THANK YOU!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 14:03   #390
BHPian

Dear DB, if this hasn't been already, you should make a comprehensive post that tells people how to convert their Thar into MH01-V521. Heck then even I'll go for one. This would be more useful to owners than a CMVR post that explains why a lot of stuff COULDN'T be done to the vehicle.
vivekjayasheel is offline   Reply With Quote