Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 8th July 2013, 08:58   #511
BHPian

Default re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
...What I think BD meant was a hydraulic press where a pressure gauge can be marked off to give an indicative load. Purpose being to get a load deflection table/ graph.
Guys

That definitely is a hydraulic press. But I guess Behram sir did not mean " a hydraulic press where a pressure gauge can be marked off to give an indicative load."

Any OEM mentions his suspension charateristics as a load vs deflection curve. They apply a known load on the sprung axle and measure the amount it deflects. The load is increased and the new deflection is again measured. The same procedure is repeated again and again untill the suspension flattens out. Now when you plot these data in a graph, you get Behram Sir's " Load vs deflection" curve.

Cheers
wild child is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 10:40   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahidbhai - thank you for bringing up the LHD Premier Padmini in the Thar thread. You have achieved the impossible by closing even this loop for me. Boy-o-boy, this is just too good.

"Just like that" (absolutely for no reason whatsoever), I am attaching a photograph of me with my prized possession, my left hand drive Premier Padmini MH01YA3238 (previously KL05G7629). Out of the 14 or so known left hand drive fiats in India, mine is unique. All other LHD cars were imported from Italy. Mine (I believe) is the only one in India which was exported to Dubai, reimported into Kottayam, I picked it up from Kottayam, drove 1600 odd kms to Mumbai, paid lifetime tax, entry tax and octroi and got it re-registered officially in Mumbai with the MH01 number. I use it only for Sunday leisure drives. I shall keep this treasure with me forever, because collecting, restoring and maintaining classic cars is my hobby!

Now, don't tell me that Thar will go the same way, if you do, I shall ignore your comment as absolutely irrelevant!

Dear all - ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Bhai - from what I recall there were a number of Indians who purchased the LHD Premier Padmini in Dubai and imported it back to India. There was no import duty levied because it was made in India. A number of them were from Kerela and one Kawaljeet Singh from Taran Taran in Punjab.

What they did with it I have no idea, must have got it converted to RHD somewhere.

I had gone to Addis Ababa in Ehtiopia in 1999 on a business trip from Dubai. There I saw a number of Fiat 1100 D units, LHD of course still going strong as taxis and some private vehicles as well.

Like you I am a Fiat lover as well. The URS 183 Premier Padmini, Deluxe BE which my father purchased in 1981 went out of service finally in 2011 when he sold it to a junk dealer for Rs, 17,000. A wow - 30 years of service, well at least 25 years maybe for last 5 years people carried household bound cargo in it, but a car running for 30 years is quite a feat.

It was the first car i ever drove. I was about 14 years old in 1981 and learnt to drive on it.

There are so many memories of those 25 years with the fiat. After completing high school in 1985 all the road trips I did in it. Patna - Kathmandu, Patna - Darjeeling, Patna - Kathmandu rally, Patna - Varanasi - Allahabad, Engineering entrance test in Bhagalpur ! Each one of these was great.

When I got married in 1996 my wife came home in that fiat. She knew about Padminis because she had seen a few in Dubai of late in those days.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 21:06   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Guys
That definitely is a hydraulic press.
Incredible! I would never have imagined! Guess my education continues!

Quote:
But I guess Behram sir did not mean " a hydraulic press where a pressure gauge can be marked off to give an indicative load."

Any OEM mentions his suspension charateristics as a load vs deflection curve. They apply a known load on the sprung axle and measure the amount it deflects. The load is increased and the new deflection is again measured. The same procedure is repeated again and again untill the suspension flattens out. Now when you plot these data in a graph, you get Behram Sir's " Load vs deflection" curve.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Can you please find out the load v/s deflection curve of your springs and compare them to Bolero VLX springs? You need an arbor press with a pressure gage. I want to learn, hence requesting!
Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:16   #514
Senior - BHPian

Wild child,

It is not a hydraulic press but a purely mechanical one.
The hammer is driven by a crank shaft which is driven by a belt driven fly wheel (on left) powered by an electric motor (on top).
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:38   #515
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb re: Why I won't buy a Thar... booked Thar!

Quote:
... That definitely is a hydraulic press...
Are you sure about that ???

It looks like a mechanical-flywheel-based press to me.

PS : just saw fazalaliadil's post above, which confirms this. Guess this post of mine can be deleted now.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 9th July 2013 at 11:42.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 12:10   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They apply a known load on the sprung axle and measure the amount it deflects. The load is increased and the new deflection is again measured.
And the stiffness of the axle, is it also taken in to account? So for every new variety of spring that needs to be tested, they must have a separate axle too, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Incredible! I would never have imagined! Guess my education continues!
Dada, you still have to learn a lot, learning is a never ending process.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 20:40   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dada, you still have to learn a lot, learning is a never ending process.
True! But do you have any solution to the old dog - new tricks problem.
Also I'd really like to graduate from the remedial 101 classes!

Regards
Sutripta

PS: ET ran a series of humourous cartoons on 'half knowledge' which I'm sure you have missed in Germany. See if it is available somewhere on the internet.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 21:13   #518
BHPian

Slightly offtopic but couldn't help posting after I saw Sutripta sir's post...One of my favourites...

Mods ...please delete if it deviates the purpose as specified on the forum...
Attached Images

Last edited by jmvivek : 9th July 2013 at 21:14. Reason: typo
jmvivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 08:21   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
...Wild child,

It is not a hydraulic press but a purely mechanical one.
My appologies for the mistake.

Thank you Fazal Sir for pointing out the same. What about the load vs deflection curve? Did I get that concept right or did BD mean something else?

Thanks
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 13:46   #520
Senior - BHPian

Saw this interesting statistic on team bhp, thought of cross posting here. Dhabhar Sir would find it interesting.

Name:  thar.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  53.1 KB

Photo credits to Parrys.

I have asked it there too, any idea how many Gurkha's are selling (2WD / 4WD) combined?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 13:54   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I have asked it there too, any idea how many Gurkha's are selling (2WD / 4WD) combined?

Spike
Pratheesh,
I dont think they have started selling, i have not seen a single Gurkha (other than on test vehicles) on road in Pune, Bombay, MP, CG till now.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 14:09   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there needs to be a thread (with due inputs from DB saab), which looks at average joes like me and answers "Mods required to make THAR a family 'go-anywhere' vehicle". I am certain I won't do much of that kind of off-roading. Just the kind required when visiting a homestay in plantations or going to ladakh etc (the way anupmathur thinks of 4WD).
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 15:53   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think there needs to be a thread (with due inputs from DB saab), which looks at average joes like me and answers "Mods required to make THAR a family 'go-anywhere' vehicle". I am certain I won't do much of that kind of off-roading. Just the kind required when visiting a homestay in plantations or going to ladakh etc (the way anupmathur thinks of 4WD).
Sirjee, your post summarizes this dilemma for many. No option under 10 lacs for a family friendly 'occasional' offroader. You gotta build it.

There is the Scorpio Lx 4wd at 9.9 lacs ex-shw Delhi. Thar is at about 7.5 lacs ex-shw I believe. Add a hardtop, rollover bar, front facing seats, upgrade the brakes and it will cost us 2 lacs atleast (??). Even after all these mods, one will have rather limited luggage space and the issue of getting to the back seats for elders in the family.

I have been toying with the idea of a family 4wd tourer for the last year or so, sadly haven't found any - near about 10 lacs. Scorpio is the only thing that comes a little close. How I wish, there was a Bolero SLE 4wd! Thar has showed Mahindra that even 4wd can sell and sell well. Bolero is their pet cash cow. I wonder why they don't launch a 4wd variant? (I know, I know, there is one - DI, but without PS/AC - might as well buy the Thar!)
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 15:57   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Sirjee, your post summarizes this dilemma for many. No option under 10 lacs for a family friendly 'occasional' offroader. You gotta build it.

there was a Bolero SLE 4wd! Thar has showed Mahindra that even 4wd can sell and sell well. Bolero is their pet cash cow. I wonder why they don't launch a 4wd variant? (I know, I know, there is one - DI, but without PS/AC - might as well buy the Thar!)
Bolero GLX earlier used to have a 4WD. All the other stuff too, PS, AC etc. However, no safety kit at all.

If EcoSport or Duster or Terrano or one of these were to offer a 4WD variant, at a nice price, it would get lapped up by the urban adventurer type.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 18:58   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This thread is perhaps the closest to what you are asking for ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...eep-story.html

manveet is offline   Reply With Quote