Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th July 2014, 08:58   #91
BHPian

Default The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar

You get the same mirrors in the market for 9,000₹ my friend had paid 13,000 for them a year back.
I am unable to upload the pics from my iphone.

Either the guy has been fleeced or he is boasting.

Another costly item are the bumper locks. Some have paid upto 10,000 for those.

Last edited by dean5545 : 30th July 2014 at 08:59.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 12:42   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar

Still expensive.

I had sourced Wrangler OE mirrors direct from a manufacturer in China via alibaba and my landed cost was approx Rs. 5000/-

This included 2 pairs of mirrors (so 4) plus an extra pair of the glass in case of theft plus shipping plus customs duty.

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-img_5268.jpg

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-img_5271.jpg

The Intrepid Explorer III - Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar-img2013021700436.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

You are right but I am in no position to comment on the price but I am truely astonished at someone spending Rs.80,000 on side view mirrors.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 23:07   #94
Senior - BHPian

The squeaking noise from the wheels whenever I step out offroad persists. Not only offroad even at a parking where I had to engage 4WD to climb a footpath the noise appeared. A solution is required fast, Only two months of warranty left.

LIST OF MODIFICATIONS AND REPAIRS

Seat - A two seater installed behind the passenger seat as well to make it travel back further and recline more when not driving myself.

Seat covers with 3 inch foam fill to improve driving height, seating stance and comfort of course.

Airconditioning improvement - 3 M mats installed on the floor for better temp retention in cabin.

Lights - Phillips H4 bulbs to substitute OE bulbs it really makes a difference. Purchased a pair of Lucas TVS headlamps but the bulbs dont fit in them.

Hella FF 500 auxillary driving lights with Phillips 55 W H3 blue bulbs. In total darkness off road the light is sufficient to drive on its own.

Horns - Changed to Hella.

Rims - Alloy wheels, Mahindra a set of five at a good bargain of Rs. 28,000 exactly the same as my scorpio. With their special nuts.

Hard top - Alapana industries with opening panels. The famed Hyderabad hard top. I have it but to be installed on August 21 one day after I turn 46.

Wipers - Hella Dyna Pro 11 inch blades.

Brakes - Free replacement of twin tandem booster and master cylinder at Mahindra ASC.

License plates - new ones made and installed on the bumper much higher than ex factory position.

To buy - Central locking, Central console. A cheap music system just enough to listen to a shooting mentral trainers lectures. Maybe some music or cricket commentary. Dont like the idea of loose boxes under the rear bench seats - any suggestions ? If I find some time maybe I will buy parts and make an audio amplifier for it.

WARRANTY REPAIRS

AC Switch and relay.
Front wheels bearings - paid not under warranty but problem not solved.
Clamps for heater circulation pipes - paid and supplied Maruti Zen clamps
Axle boot tear - Half axle driver side replaced.
Horn button - replaced but the new grey one also comes off loose daily.
Canopy - replaced but the new one is of poorer material and the velcro too thin to hold. Throwing it away soon.
Tailgate lock - replaced under warranty but the new one is no better constantly getting stuck - I wonder how will it work with central locking when all my left handed force cannot open it often. Even the two door locks are hard to open on many instances.

Last edited by desertfox : 17th August 2014 at 23:22.
Old 19th August 2014, 13:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

In addition a cigrette lighter socket was also installed to charge mobile phones or to draw power for a GPS unit. It was installed through a spare wire harness inside for the audio system,
Old 20th August 2014, 16:03   #96
BHPian

Hi Desertfox, great list of mods. If you can, please share some photos of Seat, Hella 500FF positioning, Wheels and licence plate mods on your jeep. Thanks.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 22:22   #97
BHPian

You can drill holes on the door side panel and install speakers with an MDF spacer ring. And maybe some tweeters near the A pillar.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:02. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
tomraven99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Pictures with all the mods. Changed the bulbs to Phillips H4 130/100W and installed a Phillips relay kit but I dont like the illumination will revert to the Phillips 60/55 soon.

One hella horn failed picked up a new pair as replacement and got them installed.

Pictures of the canopy installation today ( Hyderabad Hard Top ) included.

Why a manual lock - tailgate lock changed under warranty again yesterday. If this thing cannot function with manual pressure how will it work with a .1 HP motor ?

Hence purchased a lock for Rs. 100 from Bimbra and got it installed with drilling of holes repainting and all the sundry.

Last edited by desertfox : 23rd August 2014 at 22:19. Reason: rotating and setting pics
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

A new post with left rotated pics hope it works.
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2014, 22:08   #100
Senior - BHPian

Some admin help from the forum staff will be required here cant control it.

Please delete duplicate posts. The very first pic is not required.

With all the trouble here will post pics with my SLR now not the phone pics which are flipping and rotating on their own.
Attached Images

Last edited by desertfox : 23rd August 2014 at 22:20. Reason: attempting to rotate pics
Old 25th August 2014, 03:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

Drove th the Dr. Karni Singh shooting range and back in the new Hard Top fitted Thar today.

The road is a toll highway with a speed limit of 80 and 100 in some zones.

Tremendous improvement in wind drag and noise. The windchannel designed on the top does help a bit there can never be a total wind noise solution in a Jeep type body design the front is too boxy and the vehicle height is more. Wind resistance will always remain.

In cabin noise greatly reduced. Dust from the tailgate area almost zero now. I can store a change set of clothes in the rear, it is carpeted and remains clean.

Airconditioning improved definetely and safety for sure I left in a gun and a carton of cartridges in it all day along with my Licenses, shooter ID card, tournament card, bill for cartridges purchased today and never needed to go and check back. So it solves by basic requirements.

Can install a music system now. Can store sunglasses and documents in the vehicle.

The ease of swinging open the rear door and storing / reaching out to things there is a great advantage.

There is some smell of the sealant in there inside the cabin as of now, hope it will disappear in a day or two.

I had deliberately parked it in the sun today for the sealant to dry out completely.

Quite happy with the job and it attracted a lot of attention because a large number of shooters here in Delhi own Thars / are planning to buy Thars. Some have Scorpio Getaway.

Last edited by desertfox : 25th August 2014 at 03:24.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:19   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
A new post with left rotated pics hope it works.
@desertfox is that Hyderabad HT and where did you get it installed? Cost?
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 15:20   #103
BHPian

Hi Desertfox, thanks for posting the pictures.

The HHT looks great and like the new version with rear window attached to the door. Easy to get in and out. Very practical.

How did you mount the auxillary lights - to me it looks like it is clamped to the bumper or did you weld any L angle to the chassis ? please clarify.

Also it looks like Mahindra fixing this HT for you. Do they do installs for after market/non mahindra stuff.

It looks the HT has added a lot of value to you and I might go in for one day after having a good taste of the soft top for some time.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 26th August 2014 at 15:32. Reason: addition
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 19:59   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Drove th the Dr. Karni Singh shooting range and back in the new Hard Top fitted Thar today.
Quite happy with the job and it attracted a lot of attention because a large number of shooters here in Delhi own Thars / are planning to buy Thars. Some have Scorpio Getaway.
Hi Desert Fox, the new hard top looks good. Excuse my ignorance but is this a fibreglass construction? If so what would you estimate the weight and material thickness to be? Also have they left redundancy for fitting a roof carrier etc as well?

Note from Support: Please quote only relevant portion of posts. Thanks!
Bump-Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 01:08   #105

Quote:
The road is a toll highway with a speed limit of 80 and 100 in some zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi Desert Fox, the new hard top looks good. Excuse my ignorance but is this a fibreglass construction? If so what would you estimate the weight and material thickness to be? Also have they left redundancy for fitting a roof carrier etc as well?
I guess its been confirmed to be HHT. @desertfox where did you get it installed? seems like a Mahindra ASC. How much did it cost it and how did logistics work to get this from Hyd to Delhi? Did Prabhu have installation have a set up to get it installed?
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote