Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 22:47   #61
BHPian
 
Pjango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 29
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Guys please don't get your hopes up too much regarding the modded bed. Its just that I arranged all my stuff- i.e bags, tents, sleeping bags, knick knacks, shoes etc everything in between the seats or under the seats, so that there was nothing above the level of the sitting bench. Next i placed a flat plywood piece, which i had lying around the garage, (something which you can easily source for peanuts from any furniture shop), overlapping on both the benches. i Covered the ply piece with an old bed-sheet so that the edges didn't damage the rear bench. Thus the back became a nice big flat surface on which I spread a cotton mattress (regular single bed size with the sides folded along the seat back rest) and finally a bed sheet on top to complete the bed look. I haven't got a proper snap but hope this helps.
Ahh... I'm envious of the kid who did bask in this luxury!!! Just kidding.. You are an excellent resource manager I have to say looking at the series of mods in here. Keep it up. Thar needs owners like you
Pjango is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 14:39   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
@samwagon, congrats on your vehicle and a great job with the useful modifications.

Could you please ellaborate on the front cabin separator that you have installed. I had planned to do it too for my thar before fitting an AC but couldn't think of how to get it done.
Some close up pics would also be helpful (what material/ insulation on the top, sides etc)....

Thanks & regards,
Nitin
Nitin, apologies for the delay in answering. Well, the partition is made up of a backbone of chik (wooden sticks) for stiffness, support and rollability, with a good quality synthetic fabric for insulation. It is attached to the B-pillar and rolls down to the rear cabin floor behind the front seats. The upper edges are rounded to allign with the rounded shape of the top. At the bottom or sides, i dont need to secure it coz it is held nicely and firmly in between the front seats and the front edge of the rear benches. It can be deployed in under a minute and takes about as much time to roll up and secure with a bungee cord. An off-shoot can be to fashion a window in the centre with hard transparent plastic. The chik was made to order according to size from a roadside chikwala for about 900 bucks. A few close up pics as you requested
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102700642.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102700644.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102700646.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102700647.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 09:34   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Beharam Sir,

Somewhere in Manveet Thread you had quoted that there is a simple way to 'Passively Snorkel' the Thar CRDE. Can you please share the same as i have been breaking my head to try and guess the solution. In Leh, I had run into an Owner whose Thar had sucked in water while he was trying to extricate it from a water body. The present position of the air intake is a tad too vulnerable for comfort and it is difficult to source a really air tight snort.
samwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 16:28   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

BTW, here are a few pics of my Thar as it stands todate. I guess I have covered almost all the mods undertaken till now. A few of those not covered earlier will be evident in these pics. These are purely for form and do not offer any functional advantage.

The first is the custom bumper from Mahindra accesories which i picked up practically free from a friend whose Thar is being sold. The fog lights, i am not particularly proud of, but these are a stopgap, which I had lying around the garage, till i get hold of some proper Hellas. Also, a '4x4' decal on right top edge of the insect mesh is a small touch towards personalisation.

The new Bolero mirrors were bought on a whim during a chance visit to the ASC for someone else and painted by yours truly with a newly acquired spray paint gun (the exact paint shade was prepared by a very talented guy in Leh). I kind of like the body colour RV mirrors look.

And then, there is the small twist latch added to the left side rear canopy to secure the flap in lieu of the velcro which frequently looses its sticktion. These are non-lockable and will be replaced with lockable ones soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102900648.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102900653.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102900652.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102900654.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013102900655.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:09   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Got my third and final free service done today at 14000 kms/ 12 months. So bye bye warranty. I am on my own know.
Didn't have any complaints, so this service was mostly a formality and was useful for the free wash which was much needed especially for the underside post Leh trip. The bill came to Rs 56. Yeah, thats it.
Plus saw the new upgraded Thar in the showroom decked up in expedition kit. The fixed flanges don't look that cool but i guess are required since they address the concerns of offroad users.

For all those interested, the OEM center console as fitted in my vehicle is available with Sri Durga.
samwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 14:24   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Got my third and final free service done today at 14000 kms/ 12 months. So bye bye warranty. I am on my own know.
Didn't have any complaints, so this service was mostly a formality and was useful for the free wash which was much needed especially for the underside post Leh trip. The bill came to Rs 56. Yeah, thats it.
Is changing the engine oil not standard practice for the third service?

I am curious if whether this was something refused on your part or something which is not required but my dealership has done extra.

My third service bill (not including the bush changes) was approximately Rs. 2000/-.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 15:16   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Is changing the engine oil not standard practice for the third service?

I am curious if whether this was something refused on your part or something which is not required but my dealership has done extra.

My third service bill (not including the bush changes) was approximately Rs. 2000/-.
Manveet, As per the service manual, there is no Oil change or anything else changed for that matter at the 15000 km/ 12 months - third free service. It includes only inspections/ adjustments. The engine oil change (alongwith differential oil change) takes place at 5000 kms (1st free service) and the next engine oil change is due at 20000 kms. The second free service at 10000 Kms mandates only transmission oil change. I am not sure about your KM reading at third service.

I follow only the KM reading criteria rather than time for service routines.
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 15:34   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Manveet, As per the service manual, there is no Oil change or anything else changed for that matter at the 15000 km/ 12 months - third free service. It includes only inspections/ adjustments. The engine oil change (alongwith differential oil change) takes place at 5000 kms (1st free service) and the next engine oil change is due at 20000 kms. The second free service at 10000 Kms mandates only transmission oil change. I am not sure about your KM reading at third service.

I follow only the KM reading criteria rather than time for service routines.
I will just double check with my service manual once I reach home. If what you say is correct I will be escalating the dealership complaint to Mahindra.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 18:26   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I will just double check with my service manual once I reach home. If what you say is correct I will be escalating the dealership complaint to Mahindra.
BTW, the legend against engine oil change in the manual says change as per km or 1 year whichever is earlier. But I personally follow the km limit and I feel that the time limits specified for a regularly running vehicle are illogical. Even shelf life of POL is generally quite high. In a running vehicle the oil just loses viscosity with kms of use. I don't see any reason for oil to decay with just time and not enough running. So as long as kms are within specified limits and the levels are maintained I don't see any reasons for POL change.
Others may please enlighten with their views on this.
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 18:49   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
BTW, the legend against engine oil change in the manual says change as per km or 1 year whichever is earlier. But I personally follow the km limit and I feel that the time limits specified for a regularly running vehicle are illogical. Even shelf life of POL is generally quite high. In a running vehicle the oil just loses viscosity with kms of use. I don't see any reason for oil to decay with just time and not enough running. So as long as kms are within specified limits and the levels are maintained I don't see any reasons for POL change.
Others may please enlighten with their views on this.
My understanding of replacement duration was 6 months for mineral oil and 12 to 15 months for synthetic oil. But anyhow, I read around a bit, here are a few links .. IMHO I would prefer changing the oil once in 6 months for a Mahindra engine. Like DB mentioned in some post, it's not a Honda. Better to stick to specifications.

http://autos.yahoo.com/owning/mainta...ric%01qaengoil

http://www.cars2go.co.nz/SITE_Defaul...eFrequency.asp
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 17:14   #71
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

I was interested in knowing from where our friend bought the center console, arm rest audio. I did try looking out for the same but could not find the right fit. Some of those were pretty shabby. I wanted to know the shop in Delhi NCR who installed it.
rakeshmunjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 18:33   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshmunjal View Post
I was interested in knowing from where our friend bought the center console, arm rest audio. I did try looking out for the same but could not find the right fit. Some of those were pretty shabby. I wanted to know the shop in Delhi NCR who installed it.
You can try Bimbra4x4 in Udyog Vihar. They have some good centre consoles and Arm rests.

The centre console used by samwagon is a Mahindra accessory which has now been discontinued most likely because it interfered with stock HU location. In addition to more designs, Bimbra4x4 also has this particular console but at a cheaper cost.

@Samwagon .. do let us know which shop you bought the arm rest from. I haven't looked around for it but assuming RM has and couldn't find something good, your lead might be useful.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 18:59   #73
BHPian
 
showboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
The centre console used by samwagon is a Mahindra accessory which has now been discontinued most likely because it interfered with stock HU location. In addition to more designs, Bimbra4x4 also has this particular console but at a cheaper cost.

@Samwagon .. do let us know which shop you bought the arm rest from. I haven't looked around for it but assuming RM has and couldn't find something good, your lead might be useful.
To my knowledge the center console is still available. This 'new' version has space for a HU too. I purchased one for my new Thar and will be able to take some photos on Friday when I take delivery. It is very expensive though. 9k+. I would say check Bimbra first and if you don't like it get the OEM. We unfortunately do not have an equivalent shop here in Chennai so I had no option.

Samwagon, if you let us know the brand it would really help us to procure it anywhere in India. Thanks.
showboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 21:07   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
To my knowledge the center console is still available. This 'new' version has space for a HU too. I purchased one for my new Thar and will be able to take some photos on Friday when I take delivery. It is very expensive though. 9k+. I would say check Bimbra first and if you don't like it get the OEM. We unfortunately do not have an equivalent shop here in Chennai so I had no option.

Samwagon, if you let us know the brand it would really help us to procure it anywhere in India. Thanks.
I had already mentioned regarding the OEM centre console. In Delhi, it is available with Sri Durga, Motinagar. The one i saw last week in their demo vehicle does not have provision for HU. So we all would be interested in the one Showboat is talking about. Also yes, Bimbra has a couple, one is similar to OEM, but not as nicely finished. The other is his own design with spce for HU and an integrated arm rest cum storage, which i didn't like too much because again the fit and finish is not very good(IMO) and there is a huge cut on the driver side for allowing 4wd lever movement.

The centre console, as i mentioned is available in Pallika Bhawan accessory shops. Also, its avaialble on ebay.in. Here's the link

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_trksi...mrest&_sacat=0

RM. I agree with Manveet. Please feel free to pen down your queries and i will reply back with detailed explanations, photos, if required. And no problem regarding meeting up. Have emailed my no to you. The installation of the armrest and all the other mods have been done by myself.
samwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 21:47   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Well guys. Just wanted to pen down a couple of small mods done in the past few days.
One is installation of cross frame between windshield frame and targa frame to give stability for the targa band (B-pillar). The same way it has been done in the upgraded Thar. I could have easily sourced the same from Bimbra because a lot of new Thars come for HT fitment. But i wanted to retain the existing support for the hard part of the canopy and the clamps for the OEM part are welded into the windshield frame. I took two pieces of steel pipes cut to size and crimped at the ends. These were installed on targa band on existing bolts. On the windshield frame, these were bolted on to new holes tapped to take an 8x1.5 allen bolt. All of you still lingering with soft tops would be happy to note, that the issue of targa band wavering which caused banging of the door with the frame and caused a thud sound whenever the front wheels went into a pothole is completely solved. Yes, seriously.

Second mod is something i was itching to do for a long time. Addition of a lock in the glove box. The lock used is a normal one like the ones already fitted in the toolbox/petrol tank lid. For the purpose i bought a RE toolbox lock. Had to dismantle the complete glovebox lid for the same. The pictures speak for themselves.

Only thing is, I would be further modifying the lock so that the key would be removable in both locked and unlocked position. that would require dismantling the lock levers. Presently the key is removable only in the locked position.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013101600612.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013101600616.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100676.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100679.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100680.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100681.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100682.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100686.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100685.jpg  

My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-img2013111100689.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Bull - My Mahindra Thar experience...& some mods swami69 4x4 Vehicles 66 3rd October 2016 10:30
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar Monster_BHP 4x4 Vehicles 247 6th September 2016 13:19
Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red) sjcherian 4x4 Vehicles 80 29th July 2016 21:25
Modifications for Gypsy King - Does the sequence of modifications matter? khan_sultan Modifications & Accessories 18 6th September 2009 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks