Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th October 2013, 13:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)

@ Cherian: Is it a mile muncher? One of my close friend is considering buying this as a practical everyday "Bad-roader", should he instead look out for Bolero/Scorpio for practicality?
slamnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 13:52   #17
BHPian

Amazing details sir.
Your love for your jeep truly reflects from this blog.
The way you have maintained all the details For eg: the fuel table is speechless.
Hats off to you.
and thank you for the beautiful pics.
VineetSoni is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 13:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Good thread mate. Amazed to see the way you have kept a date-wise log
Thanks vroom666. I guess I have become a bit crazy because of the Thar with both the log and the fuel tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
Great going Mate. Another delicious Thar thread. The date log reminds me of several similar experiences I have while driving the Thar. The mouse pads on the B-pillar is an excellent idea. Will be follwoing your thread closely.
Thanks @samwagon. Your amazing thread was what finally made me take the effort of publishing what I had written up over the past few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
@ Cherian: Is it a mile muncher? One of my close friend is considering buying this as a practical everyday "Bad-roader", should he instead look out for Bolero/Scorpio for practicality?
@slamnos My average daily total drive is around 38 Km of which bad roads account for probably 10-15 feet at the most. For that purpose the Thar is overkill. I am sure that is the case with pretty much everyone's drive. You get a Thar because you really really want one.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 17:25   #19

Congratulations on adding the Thar to your family. I have briefly driven a Thar during one of my trips to Goa and I must say it is a beast that can go anywhere and drive through anything that our Indian roads can throw at it ... just love the looks and the spare wheel on the back makes it look that much more butch ... wish that M&M started doing this with Scorpios as well
anand.shankar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

sjcherian what a write up brother, simple superb. Your thread reminded me of the happiness i get while driving my gypsy . You kept account of all the interactions with strangers regarding your THAR, great. Congratulations for your owning your soul satisfying vehicle.
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 19:57   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear sjcherian - wow, now that's what I call a lovely description of "Cherie". I thoroughly enjoyed your date-by-date log. Although I don't own a Thar (yet!), I always quietly smile when I see one next to me on the roads of Pune or passing the other way! Also, I am very happy (and not at all surprised) to know that you prefer to use your Thar over normal cars. Enjoy, and in case you want any help, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Dear all - desired result achieved - all Thar threads on the forum clearly indicate one successful result - "4*4 LIFESTYLE VEHICLE SEGMENT IS NO LONGER NICHE IN INDIA, IT IS NOW MAINSTREAM".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar Bheram sir, Thanks for giving this country an jeep which can be driven regularly (All Purpose Vehicle). We are expecting a second lease of life for TATA Sierra from you, with the same looks, 2 door, 2.2 engine and 4X4 with low ratio. Can we expect it from you and wait for it as my next vehicle?
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 22:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
... We are expecting a second lease of life for TATA Sierra from you, with the same looks, 2 door, 2.2 engine and 4X4 with low ratio. Can we expect it from you and wait for it as my next vehicle?
I second that.

@DB Sir - Whatever shape it is, just make sure its a little more reliable & value for money than the Thar - thats all we ask for. Only reason many have not picked Thar is coz its way too overpriced for what it gives in return and takes atleast 1.5L more to bring it to a level it should have been coming out of the factory. It is a very tempting deal if you buy a used Thar though as its very capable. No 2 doubts about it.

And for God's sake please don't let the Tata Marketing/Sales guys name the new vehicle Sumo Something

Sorry for going in your thread Cherian.

Last edited by vroom666 : 30th October 2013 at 23:00.
vroom666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 09:43   #23
BHPian

Thanks VineetSoni, anand.shankar82 & drbones for your kind words.

@drbones & vroom666 - you guys are going a bit off topic here and I will add one last comment about the Sierra - as much as I used to love the Sierra when it was available - I think its design is now a bit dated and does not have the timeless design the Jeeps have. Also how many have seen this and how similar the Sierra looks to this Ford_Bronco_II

Also you two may want to move your wishlist to this TBHP thread Tata Sierra - Would you like to see it on the road again?
Old 31st October 2013, 21:18   #24
BHPian

sjcherian
Congratulations on acquiring a pre -owned Thar. You must be complimented on how you managed to convince your wife! I failed dreadfully with mine! Result; I ended up buying a Toyota Etios GD!
Well, atleast I still have my Gypsy 410 to console me!
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 09:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
sjcherian
Congratulations on acquiring a pre -owned Thar. You must be complimented on how you managed to convince your wife! I failed dreadfully with mine! Result; I ended up buying a Toyota Etios GD!
Well, atleast I still have my Gypsy 410 to console me!
Regards,
Ashok
Thanks. I was persistent to the point of becoming a bore at home. Holidays and weekends spent on TBHP 4x4 section and the classifieds looking for the best possible Jeep to buy (obviously with Jeep pictures loaded up on screen).
In addition my son and I were pointing out every single Jeep we saw on the road and exclaiming its model and vintage.

Finally close to some 5 years after I started people at home got to the point of thinking I would be buying a Jeep one of these days. Also helped selling the case was the fact that it had doors, roof, AC and music system could be added and it was still under warranty. Price was also kind of kept under wraps so as to not get any "are you mad" type questions :-).

Of course be aware that a serious side effect of getting it is that now each and every purchase she wants to do(clothes,footwear etc etc.) has to be now quietly agreed to since they obviously do not cost as much as buying a Thar!

But all that aside - finally getting to drive a dream vehicle of yours after years of waiting is priceless.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Congratulations for the red Thar.

Many more congratulations for living your dream, satisfaction is guaranteed and priceless.

Wish you absolutely niggle free performance from the Thar.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 14:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Congratulations for the red Thar.

Many more congratulations for living your dream, satisfaction is guaranteed and priceless.

Wish you absolutely niggle free performance from the Thar.
Thanks for the wishes. Expecting totally niggle free performance is asking for too much. It is easier to be prepared to face eventualities with phone numbers, tow rope, tools and extra coolant both for the vehicle and the owner :-).
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:41   #28
BHPian

Great write up Mr.Cherian. The snaps are too good. Also we must appreciate you for the daily log. How do you manage to maintain it? Keep it up.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 17:39   #29
BHPian

Thanks @MaxTorque. The log I write in bits and pieces as and when I get time. I have missed a number of events for sure. I remembered having seen tbhpian SupremeBaleno on the road a couple of times and also getting into a couple of messages with him on those days as well.

In other news Cherie crossed 15,000 Km on Nov 1st.
Old 7th November 2013, 21:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do you, by any chance pass through teynampet - cenotaph road daily in the mornings?
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote