Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 8th November 2013, 06:58   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Do you, by any chance pass through teynampet - cenotaph road daily in the mornings?
Yes I do daily around 8:30 AM during the work week. Do wave if you see me.
sjcherian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 07:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Yes I do daily around 8:30 AM during the work week. Do wave if you see me.
Ahaa, i knew that the red thar should belong to a bhpian from the first time i saw it in teynampet. I walk down cenotaph road daily around that time.

I must say, pretty clean vehicle you've got there, really stands out among the regular morning traffic.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 09:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Ahaa, i knew that the red thar should belong to a bhpian from the first time i saw it in teynampet. I walk down cenotaph road daily around that time.

I must say, pretty clean vehicle you've got there, really stands out among the regular morning traffic.
Thanks ! I have a guy come clean it daily - all credit on the cleanliness goes to him. Only up close you can see the scratches from thorns and bushes from the last offroad :-).

Hope to see you one of these days either on the road or maybe on one of the next Chennai meets.
Old 8th November 2013, 16:34   #34
BHPian

Excellent Thread sjcherian. Thanks for sharing. My feelings are very similar to yours so will not repeat.

I have also bought a 2nd hand Thar, same color as yours. Mine is a Dec 2011 model and the previous owner had fitted AC, Alloys, Stereo and power windows. 15K kms on the odo with full Mahindra service history.

I have done the following upgrades:
  1. Yokohama Geolander 245/70 R16 tyres
  2. 90/100 headlamps with Phillips relay kit
  3. Hella red horns
  4. Scorpio Mhawk Brake booster & Master Cyllinder
I have not had any issues with it at all, touchwood. Just hate the exhaust fumes being sucked it from the rear sometimes. Plan to get a Hard Top done soon so not worrying about the exhaust fumes.

My son loves it and wants to go everywhere in the Thar. So it has become our local use vehicle within Gurgaon. I also have an 2012 Innova for drives in to Delhi or the Highway.

I use it for daily drive to work.

Sunday mornings I head out to the offroad trails in Delhi NCR with few friends in their jeeps.

Perfect vehicle for me after owning a Gypsy for 14 years and a Gurkha for less than 1 year.

I have not used it on any long drives as yet and dont plan to either unless it a outstation OTR with the jeep group. My reluctance to use it on the highways is mainly due to the lack of safety features.

Here are some pics of my Thar on a Sunday morning outing.. (spot the passenger )

Cheers!
Attached Images

GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 17:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Here are some pics of my Thar on a Sunday morning outing.. (spot the passenger )
Cheers!
Thanks for the photo and the comments. The little guy is barely visible - is he in a car seat ?
Old 8th November 2013, 20:35   #36
BHPian

Cherian,

Great thread. Great Thar.

If you can keep me in the loop for the next Chennai meet I'd like to join up. I'm a new member and don't have PM ability just yet. I should be getting my Thar by the beginning of next week. Hoping to have all the accessories and a new pair of shoes added by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the tips.
showboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 21:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the photo and the comments. The little guy is barely visible - is he in a car seat ?
Thats right. I make sure he is properly strapped in and avoid doing any risky struff with him in the vehicle.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Cherian,

Great thread. Great Thar.

If you can keep me in the loop for the next Chennai meet I'd like to join up. I'm a new member and don't have PM ability just yet. I should be getting my Thar by the beginning of next week. Hoping to have all the accessories and a new pair of shoes added by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the tips.
Thanks showboat. What color is your Thar? Do let me know the details of the dealer contact in Chennai as I am interested in getting the SA roll bar as well. That and the brake brake upgrade are on the must do list for me.

For the Chennai meets please subscribe to this thread which has all the meet plans http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...et-thread.html

Quote:
Thats right. I make sure he is properly strapped in and avoid doing any risky struff with him in the vehicle.
Thats good to know GoSlow. I avoid going very fast when my son is in the Thar as well (its easy to please him at around 50kmph with some occasional jabs of the throttle).

Do put up your Thar thread sometime as well. Lets flood the forum with Red Thar Threads !

Last edited by sjcherian : 11th November 2013 at 09:39. Reason: Typos
Old 11th November 2013, 18:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks showboat. What color is your Thar? Do let me know the details of the dealer contact in Chennai as I am interested in getting the SA roll bar as well. That and the brake brake upgrade are on the must do list for me.

For the Chennai meets please subscribe to this thread which has all the meet plans http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...et-thread.html
I bought my Thar from Zulaika in Velacherry. PM me your mobile number and I'll pass on Rekha's number. She's the head of Accessories. They got the SA roll bar within a week or so.

I bought a black Thar. They had a red and black in stock, and I liked both colors, but I will be using my Thar for business purposes so the black suited my needs better.

I'm going to check the brakes during the PDI tomorrow and I hope its an updated one. Otherwise, after driving it and testing it some, I might need a brake booster upgrade too. Maybe we can push Mahindra to cover it under warranty.
showboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 22:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Thats good to know GoSlow. I avoid going very fast when my son is in the Thar as well (its easy to please him at around 50kmph with some occasional jabs of the throttle).

Do put up your Thar thread sometime as well. Lets flood the forum with Red Thar Threads !
Thanks for the encouragement. I do not have enough to contribute to start a new thread of my own. I may add to your thread if you do not mind

BTW, I have upgraded to Scorpio Mhawk brake booster and master cylinder. I would highly recommend this upgrade.

I have also replaced the front bumper with a 5mm C section iron girder after the OE one got bent out of shape. Total cost was Rs.900. My son painted it.

Some more pics from this weekends offroad
Attached Thumbnails
Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-10.jpg  

Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-1.jpg  

Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-2.jpg  

Old 12th November 2013, 09:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:

I have also replaced the front bumper with a 5mm C section iron girder after the OE one got bent out of shape. Total cost was Rs.900. My son painted it.

I think bumper should bent not like the oe but without transferring the impact to chassis .So a 5mm metal bumper will last long but the chassis will be taking the impact every time the bumper hits. Just my thought no offence.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I bought my Thar from Zulaika in Velacherry. PM me your mobile number and I'll pass on Rekha's number. She's the head of Accessories. They got the SA roll bar within a week or so.

I bought a black Thar. They had a red and black in stock, and I liked both colors, but I will be using my Thar for business purposes so the black suited my needs better.

I'm going to check the brakes during the PDI tomorrow and I hope its an updated one. Otherwise, after driving it and testing it some, I might need a brake booster upgrade too. Maybe we can push Mahindra to cover it under warranty.
Thanks showboat. Black looks good but is really tough to maintain. Are you planning any 3M type paint sealing coating etc ? Have sent you my mobile number.

Only other point - my Thar is no longer under warranty. Curious to know if other Thar owners in Chennai have got a retrofit done at any dealer?

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I do not have enough to contribute to start a new thread of my own. I may add to your thread if you do not mind

BTW, I have upgraded to Scorpio Mhawk brake booster and master cylinder. I would highly recommend this upgrade.

GoSlow - if you have had the Thar for a while now you have enough content to start your own thread. Do use the assembly line and put it together over the course of couple of days and then publish. Till then feel free to post on this thread. Eager to see more photos /details of any other mods you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I think bumper should bent not like the oe but without transferring the impact to chassis .So a 5mm metal bumper will last long but the chassis will be taking the impact every time the bumper hits. Just my thought no offence.
Good point sreejeshmp. Didnt think of that till you raised it. Only question is would this still be an issue if it is mounted on the same mounting points as the stock bumper ?
Old 12th November 2013, 10:03   #43
BHPian

Check the thickness of thar's chassis itself, I think its better to use lesser than chassis thickness with more angled design for strength or same as chassis thickness. I did the same on my jeep . Details are there in my thread.

- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Quote:
GoSlow - if you have had the Thar for a while now you have enough content to start your own thread. Do use the assembly line and put it together over the course of couple of days and then publish. Till then feel free to post on this thread. Eager to see more photos /details of any other mods you have.

Good point sreejeshmp. Didnt think of that till you raised it. Only question is would this still be an issue if it is mounted on the same mounting points as the stock bumper ?
Fair point sreejeshmp. It is lighter than some of the Custom "offroad" bumpers people are selling and is mounted on the standard mounting points. Not sure what will be the impact of a collision but considering that the OE one gets bent very easily on OTRs and Custom ones are very expensive not sure what other options I have. Happy to take suggestions.

sjcherian - I have already listed my mods in my first post on your thread. Next is to put a hard top.

Few more pics from my side. The last 2 pics is where the OE bumper would get bent inwards and hit the tyres...
Attached Thumbnails
Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-7.jpg  

Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-8.jpg  

Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-11.jpg  

Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)-9.jpg  

Old 12th November 2013, 11:49   #45
BHPian

Cool pics GoSlow. Did you head out with just your vehicle or did you have a another one for support if required?
vroom666 is offline   Reply With Quote