Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 12th November 2013, 15:54   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Cool pics GoSlow. Did you head out with just your vehicle or did you have a another one for support if required?
Thanks vroom666. There was another MM550 with me riding on 32" bighorns!
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 16:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Cool pics GoSlow. Did you head out with just your vehicle or did you have a another one for support if required?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Thanks vroom666. There was another MM550 with me riding on 32" bighorns!
I had the same question as vroom666 and also nice photos offroad.
Glad to see the answer as well GoSlow. What HT are you planning ?
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 19:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic thread and the level of detail you have captured with timeline amazes me

I think all of us who commute on the OMR should plan an evening meet, probably for a chai, samosa and sutta!?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 19:33   #49
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! You may want to invest in a hardtop at this stage. I am starting to see quite a few Thars with (aesthetic) hard tops of late.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 22:08   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I am starting to see quite a few Thars of late.
Dear theMAG - you can see the result of the effort. Customers have accepted the product, therefore it is successful. That's all that matters, so thank you. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 09:36   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Fantastic thread and the level of detail you have captured with timeline amazes me

I think all of us who commute on the OMR should plan an evening meet, probably for a chai, samosa and sutta!?
Thanks ! Am still logging but will post updates periodically. Good idea on the OMR meet - should we do the planning on the Chennai meets thread ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Congrats! You may want to invest in a hardtop at this stage. I am starting to see quite a few Thars with (aesthetic) hard tops of late.
Thinking of going in this order for myself- brakes & roll cage as first priority and then maybe the hard top and alloys. Somewhere in between a aux lamp addition + better horn set as well.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Thinking of going in this order for myself- brakes & roll cage as first priority and then maybe the hard top and alloys. Somewhere in between a aux lamp addition + better horn set as well.
sjcherian - Brake upgrade is a must. I just want to understand if you want to get an internal roll cage or external?
Reason I ask is because I want to get a HT and a roll cage both. But I am confused between an internal or external roll cage. If I put a HT then I guess an external roll cage makes more sense. What do you think?

Quote:
Glad to see the answer as well GoSlow. What HT are you planning ?
I am planning to go for the removable FRP HT from Bimbra. I am not too keen on the looks part but there are no other reliable options. The PA HT leaks plus they take tooooo long to complete the job.

Which one are you planning on?

Last edited by GoSlow : 13th November 2013 at 11:53.
Old 13th November 2013, 12:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
sjcherian - Brake upgrade is a must. I just want to understand if you want to get an internal roll cage or external?
Reason I ask is because I want to get a HT and a roll cage both. But I am confused between an internal or external roll cage. If I put a HT then I guess an external roll cage makes more sense. What do you think?

I am planning to go for the removable FRP HT from Bimbra. I am not too keen on the looks part but there are no other reliable options. The PA HT leaks plus they take tooooo long to complete the job.

Internal roll cage which fits inside the HT is what I am looking for. Am leaning toward the Hyderabad HT (with openable roof panels) or the Italian Style HT.
I felt the Bimbra ones are too boxy.
Old 13th November 2013, 15:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Internal roll cage which fits inside the HT is what I am looking for. Am leaning toward the Hyderabad HT (with openable roof panels) or the Italian Style HT.
Gr8!

I can see lots of hard top related posts on forum these days (or am I stuck on that subject :P).

I have went through almost all the HT options and reviews on forum as well as outside and the number one HT in my list these days is HHT short with open-able roof panels and second is Bimbra FRP.

I has mail communication with Prabhu yesterday and have received the quotes today, now budget is the problem however will be going with it shortly.

Is there any way we can club the order together and get some discount
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 17:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Gr8!

Is there any way we can club the order together and get some discount
Sure why not - have sent you a PM :-). OT - Why the HT ? Are you tired of driving around without the roof already ?

Last edited by sjcherian : 13th November 2013 at 17:49.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Sure why not - have sent you a PM :-). OT - Why the HT ? Are you tired of driving around without the roof already ?
Not tired as such but the dust might spoil my music system and AC :( Also its not practical to drive open jeep for daily commute. But it is looking killer in current shape.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 13th November 2013 at 18:55.
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 19:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Not tired as such but the dust might spoil my music system and AC :( Also its not practical to drive open jeep for daily commute. But it is looking killer in current shape.
Ok understood. I have to say it again as well - your Thar with the alloys and top removed really does look good !
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 22:20   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear theMAG - you can see the result of the effort. Customers have accepted the product, therefore it is successful. That's all that matters, so thank you. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,

Not sure how my original post was interpreted as anything but a response to hard tops seen on Thars! I am sure you are more than justified to be the proud father of the Thar, however parents also tend to ignore some of the flaws in their kids - which wouldnt be wrong in being presented as constructive feedback by impassive onlookers.
theMAG is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 11:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
An internal roll cage inside a Hard Top will not save the hard top in event of a roll. A cracked FRP hard top may mean a huge repair bill that is if it can be repaired to the same structural rigidity and shape. How do you plan to over come this?

Although, I prefer internal roll cage as well because they seem to be stronger. Hence, the confusion.

BTW, is the hard top insurable? Has anyone insured their HT?
Old 14th November 2013, 11:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
An internal roll cage inside a Hard Top will not save the hard top in event of a roll. A cracked FRP hard top may mean a huge repair bill that is if it can be repaired to the same structural rigidity and shape. How do you plan to over come this?

Although, I prefer internal roll cage as well because they seem to be stronger. Hence, the confusion.

BTW, is the hard top insurable? Has anyone insured their HT?
True the HT wont survive a roll over and will probably require a full replacement. The roll bars are more from the point of ensuring the vehicle doesn't collapse on the occupants if a roll over occurs (god forbid). Also once you are in a rollover you are anyway talking serious repairs and probably a hit to the next years insurance as well.

As for covering the HT in insurance I guess it wont be covered since usually only metal parts have cover.