Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 00:22   #1
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

After selling my CJ500 after 4 years of ownership, I was looking for a replacement that had a few more creative features. The ownership period of my old jeep made me realise that I needed something a little more modern. I did not enjoy spending hours at end scouting for parts, spending my weekend at the mechanic shop, having the insecurity of an impending breakdown at the back of my mind at all times. In short, I realised that I was not as much of a true blue JEEPER as I had thought,I was.

Initially, the THAR was not even considered. I just could not fathom paying 8.75 lakh on a vehicle that was so bare bones. My initial plans were to buy a used Landcruiser Prado. The higher cost of spares would easily be offset by the bullet proof reliability. I had even short listed a 1999 model in a peach of a condition. The only problem was, I had to make the whole payment in cash as no bank was willing to finance it. I did not want to deplete my bank accounts due other commitments. Once that was ruled out, I started looking at Pajero's as I could avail a bank loan. The only problem was to find a vehicle with low mileage. It seems that all of who buy the pajero, drive the hell out of that car. The other option as to buy an import of 94-96 vintage and use the spare money for all the repairs and modifications. However, from the beginning I was not too comfortable about owning a obsolete vehicle that would have definitely passed its prime.After searching for a while, I gave up on that idea as well (to be honest, I was not as convinced about the pajero as I was about the prado. It was just the sheer lack of options that made me look at it).

This is when the thought of a used Thar came up( used because I don't see value for the cost that a new one is sold for and also because I had plans on spending quite a bit doing a fair bit of modifications) Sure, it was no match for the Prado or the Pajero but it at least had the basic comforts that I wanted, is cheaper to own and maintain and it is a current model. After a few futile negotiations, I finally found a vehicle that caught my eye ( there was an ad on Team Bhp as well, among other sites). The price quoted was quite high for my liking so did not even call the owner. After about a month, while sitting at Mumbai airport and casually browsing through various sites, I noticed that the car was still there. Decided to call the owner just to check the pulse and get a feel on how desperate he was to sell. The price quoted was still high for my liking but decided to go and have a look at the car nonetheless. I had already made up my mind about the vehicle and so the test drive was just a formality. Negotiated with the seller and got the price to ALMOST what I had in mind. Did not mind paying a little extra as the vehicle and the seller seemed genuine. I am generally not all that excited about a new purchase( the last time I was this excited was when I decided impulsively one day that I would book my bullet the next morning, back in 2005) but somehow was feeling very excited about this purchase. I finished my side of the formality in a day but as luck would have it,had to wait for another 10 days to get the vehicle home ( partly owing to the fact that the owner had an oversees travel the next day and partly due long weekend in dussera whereby all the banking formality came to a stand still).

Rest of the transaction went pretty smooth. I had requested the buyer to get the vehicle near my house for delivery. Incidentally, his in law's house was a mere 200m from my house and he had plans of visiting them for dussera anyways, so he obliged.

Wanted to take the vehicle for the customary puja to the temple but the absence of both mother and wife on that day made me postpone the same. That still remains pending to this date

Initial experience :

Since I did not expect a great deal from the vehicle, it actually came up to be a big surprise. The vehicle is actually great fun to drive. The wife drove it commented on how easy it was to drive the Thar and that we now actually had two cars that are mutually interchangeable . The views from the whole family was unanimous that this was a far better vehicle than the CJ 500( the family judges the vehicle on different parameters, you see). This is actually a practical Jeep , if there is such a thing. The off centre steering and the ergonomics are not such a deal breaker for me. It's actually fairly comfortable though I must admit that I have never driven it more than 2 hours at a stretch.

I usually drive with by seat pushed fairly back and find the B pillar affecting sideways visibility to a fair extent. The visibility, looking at the front is fantastic and with the HHT, the rear visibility has improved as well.

Like Khan_sultan had mentioned in the test drive report, one is always looking for the perfect driving position but there isn't one. Somehow the seating, pedals and the steering have no harmony.You can only always get any two out of the three right. With the seat pushed back, one has to really stretch for the steering and with the seat moved in front, the legs fouls with the steering.I have no complaints though as one does tend to get used to it.

Have not actually done a top up to top up fuel mileage check but my guess is that I get around 11 kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic. Will be doing my first long distance drive soon.( once I get my forward facing rear seat). Will post the fuel figures and overall driving experience then.

There is nothing left to be said about the THAR that has not already been said so far on this forum but I will try and on down my impressions nonetheless.

What I liked:

The jeep character:It may not have the off-roading prowess as some of its predecessors but it retains every bit of that character. There are some vehicle that transcends generations and everyone has a story to tell about Them. This is one such vehicle.(along with the bullet) Someone's father owned a MM540 and they grew up riding on them, some drove it themselfs while in the forces, in the farm, some others always wanted to have it and yet Some others just can't grow up to own one. The point is,this is one vehicle that many have had in the past,wanted to have in the past, have it in present or will want to buy in the future.

Refinement : The engine is such a gem. It is buttery smooth to drive and it is so drivable in the city for a car it's size.( I would choose this anyday for a city drive over my Fabia)

Usable power: There is just so much of usable power. One can use just the 2nd and the 3rd gearing for the typical stop and go city traffic. The turbo lag is non existent and overtaking is such a breeze without the need to downshift.

Practicality : Many may disagree but this vehicle is quite versatile. One can customise it to fit the requirement. It can be used as a 2 seater with loads of space in the back, as a four seater which would be a good compromise between passengers and luggage or as a 7 seater to haul people around. Sure it would mean spending some money but it does at least give the flexibility.

The bully factor: What I sorely missed after selling my CJ was the freedom to block the way of the auto wallah's who wanted to squeeze from all sides having little regards for the other vehicles. ( I had my Fabia's tail light broken by an auto a couple of months back and it was merely a mild touch). With the Thar, "I AM BACK".

Lockable tool compartment : YAY!!

What I don't like :

The interior: Enough has already been said that one already knows what to expect but somehow every time you enter, it leaves you speechless. I am still in a phase of discovering the many design gems of the interior but I now quietly smile at it. It's pretty funny actually, if you think about it, what with the glove compartment/ wiper stalk/hacksaw cut dashboard etc etc

Rattle: This vehicle can give you a head ache in no time over bad stretch of road with the constant rattle. After the hard top, the rattle has subsided to some extent or perhaps, I am just used to it now.

Cost : This is one vehicle that is just not value for money. The cost of new Thar in bangalore is just short of 9 lakh. Depending on what the owner deems a necessity, the cost of modifications could go up by a few thousand to a few lakes. I find it quite steep.

Braking: The braking is definitely inadequate for a vehicle this size and capable of doing such speeds.

The lack of subject knowledge: I have called twice to the toll free number to inform that I would like to add the reinforcement that the new Thar has between the A and B pillar to reduce the viberations. Each time the agent seemed perplexed at first and then told me that he would ask someone to call me. Each time someone called saying that they were calling as I had enquired about buying a new Thar.

The bumpy ride: The back seat is punishment for its occupants. A few hours in it, coupled with the lack of fresh air is sure to make the occupants throw up. As I would be travelling with at least 3 occupants apart from myself, I will have to come up with some modification.

Over responsive steering: not sure if others feel the same but I find the steering to be too responsive. It does not weigh down at high speed and one needs to be careful as a vehicle of this size can easily loose balance due over enthusiastic steering input. Another thing that I noticed this that whenever the front wheel goes into a pot hole, the exit needs a course correction. What I mean is that it does not give out in the same trajectory that it goes in. ( not sue if this is a problem with just my vehicle)


One thing that a person learns very quick after buying a Thar is that they can bid farewell to any kind of bank savings that they may have had in the past. The modifications are inevitable and endless. It's amazing how after repeating for a few times in the head, the mind gets convinced that the modifications are much needed and justified.


Mods done so far :

First change was to throw the useless wiper blades and replace them with Hella Dynapro(Thanks to the many BHPians who had given it a thumbs up). The result is quite evident. Would highly recommend this change.

Second mod that I did after buying the Thar was change the tyres to Maxxis AT771 255/65/16. I had initially thought of getting the Geolanders but changed my mind at the last minute and went for Maxxis instead. I had read about the soft side walls of the Geolanders and there were some decent review's about the Maxxis online. I must say that, so far, I am very happy with my choice. The ride seems more planted and the breaking seem a tad better.

Next up was installing a music system.Got a blaupunkt HU, pioneer components, blaupunkt coaxial and a JVC 4 Chanell amp from snapdeal. The sound quality is pretty nice for the price. It plays a major role in making the Thar a everyday drive.

The Next upgrade was installing a central lock from autocop. Bought it from reliance autozone. Wanted to get the power windows as well but decided against it as I had plans of installing damping on the door and thought that it would be a pain to reach if the power window ever fowled.

The next upgrade and much needed one at that, was AC Install. Got it done at We Cool. Have used the same parts that Ranjith has mentioned in his thread.The cost has gone up to 30k now. Would highly recommend the place for its service. The work done was very professional and the cooling is phenomenal!!!

The next and the singe most expensive upgrade was the Hyderabad Hard Top. I will reserve my comments on that as I have some grouse with it and will not be able to comment until they are sorted out.

Did some DIY as well to try and make the Thar more user friendly. First was to add yoga mats in the inside of the outer doors. The "clunking" sound while closing the door was very annoying and it has come down to some extent. Also added some mat between the door pad and the metal as it used to rattle with the vehicle in idle. The second DIY was to make a center console cum arm rest between the forward seat. I found it to be a useful addition and makes the drive just that bit more relaxed.

Modes planned in the future:
1) Wrangler tail lamp.( I have already purchased it, just need to get it installed)
2) Forward facing rear seat.
3) South African roll over bar
4) brake upgrade.
5) Rear bumper with tyre carrier by Swastik Fabs.
6) Steel rims.
7) Front bumpers by PRAD.
8) Rear view mirrors of Wrangler JK.( Any leads ??)

As you can clearly see, writing is not my forte .At this point, I am just hoping that I have not put anyone to sleep. For the few of you who may have gone through the entire post, I do apologise for the dull writing skills.

Posting a picture of when I bought the Thar. More to follow.......

Some pictures with the new tyres :

Pictures of the AC Install. Ac works like a charm and have the heater option as well. Just wish that there was a recirculation mode.

Hard Top Install Pictures. As I mentioned in my opening post, I do have some grouse with the set up. Will not comment on it yet as I am waiting for it to be sorted out ( have been promised that it will be taken care of, soon). Will wait and watch before commenting.
Attached Thumbnails
A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-image.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131019_1700261.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131019_174659.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131026_1231351.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131026_1232001.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131026_123220.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_10395911.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_1040391.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_104245.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_105854.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_113835.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_113915.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131108_114735.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_123334.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_123351.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_130415.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_130500.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_131152.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131111_131407.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131116_172932.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131116_172954.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131116_173020.jpg  

A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-20131116_173028.jpg  


Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2013 at 09:31. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for superior readability. Thanks!
RVD is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,357
Thanked: 756 Times
Default re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Looks mean. How about the post mod pictures? Did you use a pre fabricated centre arm console or made one as per your requirement?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 01:39   #3
BHPian
 
sjcherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 429
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Good to see your thread RVD. It looks good as all Thars do.
Please do post more photos of the Thar with all the mods you mentioned especially the yoga mat ones - very curious about where it was applied.
Also did you only change the tires - were the wheels were kept same ?
Please do post photos of the hardtop and also specifically issues you faced as a lot of us are planning to add the Hyderabad HT as well and will need to know what we are getting into as that is really the single costliest item to be added.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 13:14   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 541
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quite surprising, one more Thar CRDe sold!
How many KMs the Thar covered? By the looks vehicle do not looks more than 1 or 1.5 years old.
I presume that you have not paid more than 'new Thar Di 4x4 on rode price' for the vehicle.
Any idea why the previous owner sold the vehicle?
(Alok) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 13:59   #5
Newbie
 
TwistOfFate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 11 Times
Smile re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Congrats on your impulsive buy RVD. Hope you have great miles ahead with your machine. It just looks so RAW in your post-purchase pictures. The fit and finish of the Soft Top (especially at the driver's end) isn't up to the mark. Good that you've opted for a hardtop, considering the upgrades you've done to your Thar. Expecting regular updates from your end with all the possible pictures!
Regards.
Vinay.
TwistOfFate! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 15:04   #6
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Looks mean. How about the post mod pictures? Did you use a pre fabricated centre arm console or made one as per your requirement?
Thanks wandernomad. Post mod pics coming up shortly. I did get the arm rest made as per my requirements. Even though, it will not win any awards for engineering, it does serve the purpose very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Good to see your thread RVD. It looks good as all Thars do.
Please do post more photos of the Thar with all the mods you mentioned especially the yoga mat ones - very curious about where it was applied.
Also did you only change the tires - were the wheels were kept same ?
Please do post photos of the hardtop and also specifically issues you faced as a lot of us are planning to add the Hyderabad HT as well and will need to know what we are getting into as that is really the single costliest item to be added.
Hi sjcherian !! Will post the pictures very soon. The wheels are the same. I will be changing them soon as I doubt if 6.5J does justice to the 255 profile tyres. Will try and get 0 offset wheels else will have to go slightly negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Quite surprising, one more Thar CRDe sold!
How many KMs the Thar covered? By the looks vehicle do not looks more than 1 or 1.5 years old.
I presume that you have not paid more than 'new Thar Di 4x4 on rode price' for the vehicle.
Any idea why the previous owner sold the vehicle?
Hello alok!! The Thar had done 13k Kms at the time of purchase. It is beginning 2012 model. The owner sold it as he was not using it as much as he would have liked. I guess he also had plans on buying a Skoda vRS . Yes,I did get it for lesser that a new DI 4*4. Actually more close to the DI 4*2 in Bangalore
RVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 15:20   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 541
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Congratulation for Thar.
You have got an overpriced vehicle at a reasonable price.
Enjoy jeeping.
What you have planned for brake upgrade?
(Alok) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:33   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,577
Thanked: 80,480 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to 4x4. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:13   #9
BHPian
 
Thar4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 512
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Initial experience :

Since I did not expect a great deal from the vehicle, it actually came up to be a big surprise. The vehicle is actually great fun to drive. The wife drove it commented on how easy it was to drive the Thar and that we now actually had two cars that are mutually interchangeable . The views from the whole family was unanimous that this was a far better vehicle than the CJ 500( the family judges the vehicle on different parameters, you see). This is actually a practical Jeep , if there is such a thing. The off centre steering and the ergonomics are not such a deal breaker for me. It's actually fairly comfortable though I must admit that I have never driven it more than 2 hours at a stretch.
Congrats man ! Believe me you are the perfect match for this vehicle because you know very well what you want form the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
What I don't like :
Braking: The braking is definitely inadequate for a vehicle this size and capable of doing such speeds.
Keep all mods on hold and get this done first, this is very imprtant for using vehicle in bumper to bumper traffic. I learned it hard way when I rear ended on Maruti Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
The lack of subject knowledge: I have called twice to the toll free number to inform that I would like to add the reinforcement that the new Thar has between the A and B pillar to reduce the viberations. Each time the agent seemed perplexed at first and then told me that he would ask someone to call me. Each time someone called saying that they were calling as I had enquired about buying a new Thar.
Please forgive them for sake of your heart. Read my story on my ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
The bumpy ride: The back seat is punishment for its occupants. A few hours in it, coupled with the lack of fresh air is sure to make the occupants throw up. As I would be travelling with at least 3 occupants apart from myself, I will have to come up with some modification.
On what tyre pressure you run? I run on 30 PSI and have very smooth ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Over responsive steering: not sure if others feel the same but I find the steering to be too responsive. It does not weigh down at high speed and one needs to be careful as a vehicle of this size can easily loose balance due over enthusiastic steering input. Another thing that I noticed this that whenever the front wheel goes into a pot hole, the exit needs a course correction. What I mean is that it does not give out in the same trajectory that it goes in. ( not sue if this is a problem with just my vehicle)
I also experienced this earlier on my Thar however it is no more after I installed alloy wheels (not sure about technical details though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
One thing that a person learns very quick after buying a Thar is that they can bid farewell to any kind of bank savings that they may have had in the past. The modifications are inevitable and endless. It's amazing how after repeating for a few times in the head, the mind gets convinced that the modifications are much needed and justified.
200% true, for every mod I promises my wife that this will be last mod on Jeep. ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Mods done so far :

Next up was installing a music system.Got a blaupunkt HU, pioneer components, blaupunkt coaxial and a JVC 4 Chanell amp from snapdeal. The sound quality is pretty nice for the price. It plays a major role in making the Thar a everyday drive.
Agree! but I have to remove front panel every day because of no security in soft top. Just hoping that this way the socket will not get damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
The next and the singe most expensive upgrade was the Hyderabad Hard Top. I will reserve my comments on that as I have some grouse with it and will not be able to comment until they are sorted out.
Did you transported it to your place and installed it on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Modes planned in the future:
2) Forward facing rear seat.
3) South African roll over bar
4) brake upgrade.
+1 to these mod, they are essential and VFM.

All the best and enjoy your Thar.
BTW follow the forum tradition and do the naming ceremony of your Thar

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:15   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Modes planned in the future:
2) Forward facing rear seat.
Congrats on your purchase . It is a good looking jeep and I hope I can own one someday . Please keep us updated on the forward facing rear seat. I have seen a lot of them on team bhp but I still do not know how one can get into the back seat. Is it by bending the front seats (remember the old tata sierra ?) or through the rear door (gate ) .

Sorry for the total noob question (I am one ) .
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:13   #11
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
Congrats on your impulsive buy RVD. Hope you have great miles ahead with your machine. It just looks so RAW in your post-purchase pictures. The fit and finish of the Soft Top (especially at the driver's end) isn't up to the mark. Good that you've opted for a hardtop, considering the upgrades you've done to your Thar. Expecting regular updates from your end with all the possible pictures!
Regards.
Vinay.
Totally agree on the soft top finish. Hopefully the hard top will improve the looks to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Congratulation for Thar.
You have got an overpriced vehicle at a reasonable price.
Enjoy jeeping.
What you have planned for brake upgrade?
The only thing that I can think of right now is adding a tandem booster. Actually, I have not really gone into exploring many options yet as I wanted to drive the car for a while so that I get a feel of what the original brakes are like. When I do decide to do the brake upgrade, will probably read up a little more on that and also bug a few people who have already got it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Keep all mods on hold and get this done first, this is very imprtant for using vehicle in bumper to bumper traffic. I learned it hard way when I rear ended on Maruti Omni.

Actually, to be honest I don't find the brake too bad for city traffic. Maybe my mind is tuned to plan ahead due my years of ownership of the CJ500. Having said that, I Will definitely upgrade the brakes as there an option to do so. Just want to drive a bit .


On what tyre pressure you run? I run on 30 PSI and have very smooth ride.

I run on 32 psi.



I also experienced this earlier on my Thar however it is no more after I installed alloy wheels (not sure about technical details though).

Hmmm, have plans on installing wider steel rims. Hopefully should help a bit.


200% true, for every mod I promises my wife that this will be last mod on Jeep. ha ha.

lol:

Agree! but I have to remove front panel every day because of no security in soft top. Just hoping that this way the socket will not get damaged

I have the hard top now. Hopefully that should help. Have vying said that, I have had my zen's system stolen from in front of the house many years back so not sure if a hard top is a deterrent to a determined burglar.


Did you transported it to your place and installed it on your own?

I had it transported


+1 to these mod, they are essential and VFM.

All the best and enjoy your Thar.
BTW follow the forum tradition and do the naming ceremony of your Thar

Thanks Vishal, let me see if I can come up with a nice name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Congrats on your purchase . It is a good looking jeep and I hope I can own one someday . Please keep us updated on the forward facing rear seat. I have seen a lot of them on team bhp but I still do not know how one can get into the back seat. Is it by bending the front seats (remember the old tata sierra ?) or through the rear door (gate ) .

Sorry for the total noob question (I am one ) .
I am sure that you will own one soon. Regarding the seat, it's actually a good observation that you have made. With the forward facing rear seat, the ingress will definitely be an issue. People would have to either enter from the back, over the wheel well or from the front, between the front seats. Either way, it will be a little bit of an excercise.
RVD is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:07   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post


I am sure that you will own one soon. Regarding the seat, it's actually a good observation that you have made. With the forward facing rear seat, the ingress will definitely be an issue. People would have to either enter from the back, over the wheel well or from the front, between the front seats. Either way, it will be a little bit of an exercise.
Too uncomfortable especially if one have a hard top.

Not sure if this will work, but no harm in asking I guess. How about placing one bucket seat all the way towards the back (left corner of the jeep )and leave some space say 1/2 to 3/4 ft and place the other seat on the right . Still both facing forward. Both passengers have enough leg room ,comfortable ingress and egress (relatively) . This is just my imagination . I am not sure if I am high on something.

You will end up compromising on the storage space though.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:34   #13
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Too uncomfortable especially if one have a hard top.

Not sure if this will work, but no harm in asking I guess. How about placing one bucket seat all the way towards the back (left corner of the jeep )and leave some space say 1/2 to 3/4 ft and place the other seat on the right . Still both facing forward. Both passengers have enough leg room ,comfortable ingress and egress (relatively) . This is just my imagination . I am not sure if I am high on something.

You will end up compromising on the storage space though.
The only problem with the idea is that one looses out on a lot of luggage space and also new holes have to be drilled to accommodate the channel for the two seats.I really am not too keen on drilling any more holes in the body than what is absolutely necessary. Also, the seat that I am planning can be folded away when not in use. I guess people will have to manage if they want to ride in the vehicle
RVD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:28   #14
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

One thing that I really wanted to address after getting the Thar was the rattling issue. It really does get to you. Also, the sound while slamming the door shut is worse than a Maruti 800. I wanted to reduce both to a more tolerable levels. The hard top does help in bringing down the B pillar induced vibrations and rattle. I also do plan on adding a roll over bar and a targa band.

With respect to the door, I went ahead and added yoga mats on the outer metal of the door and also the door mat which comes in contact with the inner part of the door(Thanks to all the thread on the topic). The result is quite satisfactory. The annoying "clunking" sound has come down by a large extent and the door seems a bit more weighed down.

Attaching a few pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-image.jpg  

RVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 14:30   #15
RVD
BHPian
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 154
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home

Mods, I am not sure if it's a problem with the setting on my iPad but I am unable to attach more than one picture at a time. When I add another picture, it replaces the first one. Kindly merge
Attached Thumbnails
A Pre-Owned Mahindra Thar comes home-image.jpg  

RVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cute little beauty comes home..., Yes its the pre-owned i10 1.2 kappa rki2007 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 11 4th January 2011 11:54
Pre-owned Optra / Pre-owned Accent CRDi / New Tata Indigo ashthedivx Sedans 15 24th February 2007 14:03
pre-owned Baleno vs pre-owned Accent vs ikon flair rohantn Sedans 36 16th February 2007 20:27
pre-owned Wagon R or pre-owned Bolero - pls advice rohantn Hatchbacks 26 7th February 2007 17:02
Pre-owned Ford mondeo vs Pre-owned Skoda octavia azifali Sedans 6 24th July 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks