Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st November 2014, 12:59   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear datvichrox2 and all - I do not see any "value addition" at all. This is sugar coated accessories sale, saar! .
Agree with you 100%.

Quote:
..There is a lot of difference in what could have been done and what is done. Sad! But I guess in India, anything sells!
With all due respect sir, don't you think that is the case with the whole vehicle itself and not with this particular edition. A bit more care on the QC part to make it a niggle-free vehicle is probably not too tough. So is some more care towards basic requirements of people who intend to use it as an all-purpose vehicle. There have been so many comments on the potential of this vehicle to be a complete winner but it is not. But at the end of the day it is such a high selling model that dealers even don't bother to keep a TD vehicle, so who cares.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 14:45   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
A bit more care on the QC part to make it a niggle-free vehicle is probably not too tough. So is some more care towards basic requirements of people who intend to use it as an all-purpose vehicle. There have been so many comments on the potential of this vehicle to be a complete winner but it is not. But at the end of the day it is such a high selling model that dealers even don't bother to keep a TD vehicle, so who cares.
Dear Kandisa - this platform provided the best possible solution to demonstrate the following capabilities in a real life situation. This was the actual intent:

1. Common platform design.
2. Ability to enable personalization by the customer.
3. Expontially low timeline and project cost to SOP.
4. Medium product cost.
5. Demonstration of "next-step" and "next-to-next step" strategic intent, including possibility of "contract manufacturing" business model.
6. Brand enhancement rub-off by making and selling a Super-Jeep which was never made in India before.
7. and last but not the least, practical demonstration of business success by utilizing the core competence of "auto passion".

The biggest challenge then was "organizational intent". The "so-called" variant option offered today clearly indicates that there is no change in this "organizational intent" whatsoever. Then also, the only alternative in the form of the "Sword of Damocles" was hanging over us, "NO VEHICLE"! It seems to be hanging today also. Under these extreme circumstances, now read your three sentences above, you will get your answers!

Dear datvichrox2 - exhaust system also seems to have been changed after manufacture. The "Great Satan" (CMVR) and it's "Shakuni Mama" (BS4) will ensure that nobody will take such chances. These things are all coupled as "MY" (model year) changes, if at all! The rear axle may touch the main muffler and the hand brake cable in jounce condition. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 11:33   #123
BHPian

Default DIY Door-sensing cabin Light Mod, Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!

The 'center' position of the cabin lights is pretty standard across most cars and is used to turn the cabin lights 'ON' when one of the doors is opened.
Its a very convenient and simple feature and it really bugged me that this is missing on the Thar.

Fortunately, the existing cabin light assembly already has everything that is needed, to enable this feature.

There are two parts to this mod:
Part-A : Dismantle the cabin light assembly and enable the center switch
Part-B : Install a door open sensor for each door that you want the light to turn on for

Tools:
Spanner to disconnect battery.
Screw driver.
Really long wire.
Soldering equipment / Insulation tape
Door switch.

Part-A:
This mod was done way back in July-2014.

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

Pry out the transparent lens of the light assembly. This can be done by sliding a flat-head screwdriver and lightly tugging it out.

Open the two large screws that are now visible.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-0-assembly.jpg

Carefully disconnect the black wire which is at the back of the assembly (sorry, no pic). Place the assembly on a flat surface.

Open the two little screws. This will release the piece that you move from OFF to ON. There is a ball bearing and a spring inside of this.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-5-contact-points-assembly.jpg

Take that ball bearing and spring and throw it out!
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-6-contact-points-ball-bearing.jpg

The ball bearing is responsible for the sliding effect that you feel when you move the switch from the OFF to ON position and vice versa. It also stops the contact points from resting at the center position.

This is a good time to understand how this switch works.

The golden piece in the previous image, is a piece of metal which has two protrusions that will make contact with two contacts on the switch assembly. It just shorts those two connections.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-2-position.jpg
When the slider is moved to the ON position, the -ve of the BULB is connected to the VEHICLE GROUND.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-1-off-position.jpg
When the slider is moved to the OFF position, the -ve of the BULB is connected to nothing.

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-3-center-position.jpg
When the slider is moved to the CENTER position, the -ve of the BULB is connected to the VEHICLE GROUND via the door switch. Now it depends on the door being open, for the connection to be completed. This is exactly what we want. Once we remove that ball bearing, the switch will stop in this center position. Although it will feel a bit loose, contact is always maintained.

For this we need a really long wire, which will run alongside the black wire in the roof. We need to connect one end of this wire to the DUMMY PIN (not connected to anything by default) which is marked in the image, and the other end to the door switch.

Put the OFF-ON piece back and add the two little screws.

Take a really long wire and push it through the hole in the roof. The wire needs to be so long that it should come out near the passenger foot well.
Slowly wriggle/push the wire in the direction of the passenger door and continue until the wire is seen near the passenger foot well.
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-8-new-wire.jpg

Connect the new wire to the silver piece of the light assembly as shown. You could solder it.
Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-9-before-install.jpg

Install the light assembly back on the roof using the two big screws. Put the lamp lens back.

End of Part-A

Part-B
Install a standard door switch. These are available in accessory shops.

I took a different route by using magnetic switches instead. I did not want to go to the accessory store and get holes drilled for the switches. I was somehow convinced that the standard switches would not make proper contact when the door was closed. Anyway, if you are able to install a standard door switch, then that's all that's needed.

The door switch would be of type 'Normally Closed' or 'N.C', which means that the circuit is always closed, until the switch is pressed/activated.

One side of the door switch is connected to ground. Connect the other end of the door switch to the NEW-WIRE that you inserted through the roof.

Connect the battery terminal back. Keep the cabin switch in the center position, and test if the light is ON when the door is open and light is OFF when the door is closed.

Enjoy your renewed lighting experience

Mahindra Thar CRDe - Forged in Hell!-post-install.jpg
datvichrox2 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 14:56   #124
BHPian

Quote:
[b][u]....

Now I am raising the bar, keep the wheel rims same, put 245/75R16 JK Elanzo tires and see the stance improve , remove the front bumper, fit the original MM540 (non-NGCS) bumper which is a part of the chassis, remove the rear bumperettes, ....

These are "CUSTOMER'S LATENT DESIRES". I know that you and others on these threads will understand because we are all JEEP GUYS! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Sir,

on most occasions you have endorsed using the stock tyres which are 235. i just came across this post where you mentioned JK Elanzo 245/75 R16's.
95% of my driving is in the city and across highways, i am not into much off roading as this is my primary vehicle.
based on this usage which tyres would you suggest.
thanks again !
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 16:59   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Sir, on most occasions you have endorsed using the stock tyres which are 235. I just came across this post where you mentioned JK Elanzo 245/75 R16s. 95% of my driving is in the city and across highways, I am not into much off roading as this is my primary vehicle. Based on this usage which tyres would you suggest. Thanks again!
Dear KSingh - I had 245/75R16s on MH01V521 and I was very much satisfied with the overall performance, although ride became slightly rough. Please note that my case was different, mine was a prototype vehicle, I could change anything at will without spending my money ()! In your case, it is not so. With 245/75R16, you will have fender touching issue also. See the photographs of MH01V521, the FRP extensions are not there! See the fenders, they are dented upwards! So, you must base your choice on very sound and conservative judgement. I will say, stick to the production setup, it is more than sufficient for the task. You should get tire life of minimum 80000 kms.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:53   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Dear KSingh - I had 245/75R16s on MH01V521 and I was very much satisfied with the overall performance, although ride became slightly rough. Please note that my case was different, mine was a prototype vehicle, I could change anything at will without spending my money ()! In your case, it is not so. With 245/75R16, you will have fender touching issue also. See the photographs of MH01V521, the FRP extensions are not there! See the fenders, they are dented upwards! So, you must base your choice on very sound and conservative judgement. I will say, stick to the production setup, it is more than sufficient for the task. You should get tire life of minimum 80000 kms.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you BD Sir, as always for your feedback. It goes a long way in helping take a final decision.
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 14:38   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Thank you BD Sir, as always for your feedback. It goes a long way in helping take a final decision.
Dear Ksingh - thanks! That "final" decision should also be the "correct" decision. . I have underlined this sentence, as many people get swayed by "on-the-spot" circumstances, especially in the face of people who come across to them as "experts". With due regard to all the genuine experts and their knowledge and capabilities, people must be careful, because most of the silly things that they do in such circumstances are not reversible, and even if some of them are reversible, cost becomes very high. I know of a person who literally had to beg the shopkeeper to give him his steel wheels and his production tires back. He got them back, but he did not get the production wheel nuts (remember, the steel wheels have spherical seats, not taper seats). He had to finally buy 23 nuts at spare parts cost (20 for wheels, 3 for the spare wheel. At least his vehicle runs properly now! I am sure the "dhinchak" (fancy) nonsense which he returned will be sold to another unsuspecting customer. Sad! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote