Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd August 2017, 20:17   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
the good thing is, if at all there is a next one, it might be the 2.2.
Frankly I don't really care if they can't put the 2.2 . It would be nice to have the 2.2, but just the 2.6 with a better power/torque rating would suffice at this point. Frankly the 2.2 is a more complex engine and am sure will come with it's extra share of electronics and sensors, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
I have to buy the gurkha with stock wheels and tyres and then buy the optional alloys and MT separately.
But isn't this the same with most mid and lower level variants of most models including the Thar. At best they will give you an exchange price for the steel disk and OE Tyre.

Besides the manufacturers have a much higher tax structure than when you buy your alloys tyres outside. Remember the insurance and road tax is a percentage of your dealer invoice price. So, essentially if a manufacturer gives you alloys build into the price at about 7K each, then your road tax is also calculated on that.
4x4addict is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:11   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Frankly I don't really care if they can't put the 2.2 . .....Frankly the 2.2 is a more complex engine and am sure will come with it's extra share of electronics and sensors, etc...

That is true, however the pull from this engine is known to us all from the Force One days, it will be a substantial jump from the FM 2.6 (Whatever state of tune). However the 2.2 never saw usage in a Mercedes offroader, which is where another engine (OM602 updated), which we had loved in an Old Mercedes and also have had G-Wagen application could be under contention even at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
but just the 2.6 with a better power/torque rating would suffice at this point.

I have not driven this latest Gurkha, so I dont have first hand knowledge of my next statement. Seemingly there has been some tweaks to the existing Gurkha engine as well to make improvements to torque delivery (probably as part of existing contract regarding usage of this engine in the Gurkha) and the real world drive feel between the engines of the two sets of Tune is hardly noticeable, I am told. So I guess if you have made up your mind to go for it, don't hesitate, after you buy, you can always motivate the service advisor to help you install the next state of tune!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 23:15   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have not driven this latest Gurkha, so I dont have first hand knowledge of my next statement.
I have actually driven it and the bottom end is good and mid range is okay, but on the open road it looses out big time as there is no top end/bhp output.

Quote:
after you buy, you can always motivate the service advisor to help you install the next state of tune!
Great mind think alike . This is what I am thinking of doing. Need to talk to service people fist. Even better, I am thinking it maybe worth it to order the FM3.2 5-Cylinder engine. However, our resident Force Motors expert 007 who has been giving fairly accurate information about Force has assured us that the FM2.2 will be available in a month or two. So, am waiting to see the results.
4x4addict is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 00:17   #259
BHPian

Even better, I am thinking it maybe worth it to order the FM3.2 5-Cylinder engine. However, our resident Force Motors expert 007 who has been giving fairly accurate information about Force has assured us that the FM2.2 will be available in a month or two. So, am waiting to see the results.[/quote]
I'd prefer the 5 cylinder over the 2.2 anyday.
dieselhead is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote