Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th June 2015, 11:24   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places

Update: The gypsy just completed a Jammu to Mumbai road trip with a few diversions.
Total distance ~ 2500 kilometers. Petrol consumption ~ 14 kmpl. Breakdowns none. Problems. Engine overheats in a stop and go traffic jam situation. Perhaps I need a supplementary electronic fan in front of the radiator.

https://goo.gl/maps/RSgeY
Name:  Screen Shot 20150630 at 11.21.55 am.png
Views: 2154
Size:  255.1 KB

Last edited by antihero : 30th June 2015 at 11:26.
antihero is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 14:30   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Update: The gypsy just completed a Jammu to Mumbai road trip with a few diversions.
Total distance ~ 2500 kilometers. Petrol consumption ~ 14 kmpl. Breakdowns none. Problems. Engine overheats in a stop and go traffic jam situation. Perhaps I need a supplementary electronic fan in front of the radiator.
14 Km/L - sounds so unrealistic for a petrol 4wd 1996 model gypsy. What was the usual mileage you were able to achieve in the mountain ranges in Himachal (around Dalhousie, Chamba etc.)
Cj3bDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 17:11   #63
BHPian

Are you going to post a travelogue of the journey? Would love to hear your story, especially on average speeds, comfort etc.
My gypsy is going into storage thanks to the NGT. That makes me want to ensure your story is about as good as it gets
Cheers!
Abhi
caged_nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 19:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
14 Km/L - sounds so unrealistic for a petrol 4wd 1996 model gypsy. What was the usual mileage you were able to achieve in the mountain ranges in Himachal (around Dalhousie, Chamba etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caged_nomad View Post
Are you going to post a travelogue of the journey? Would love to hear your story, especially on average speeds, comfort etc.
My gypsy is going into storage thanks to the NGT. That makes me want to ensure your story is about as good as it gets
Cheers!
Abhi
The mileage seems higher because I seldom take it over 70kmph. My cruising speed is around 65kmph. That means everything including Tata ace will overtake you on a highway. In Himachal with sedate driving I usually get around 12kmph. What does help is that I had the carb serviced with an original SGP carb kit and an excellent mechanic and I have taken off the 2nd propshaft effectively disabling the 4wd for the long highway jaunt. It goes back in easily with just 8 nuts.

Travelogue coming soon!

Last edited by antihero : 30th June 2015 at 19:30.
Old 1st July 2015, 17:14   #65
BHPian

Jammu Mumbai road trip

1: Gypsy preparation
  • 2 crosses replaced with Gogo brand cross (made in Ludhiana) ~ Rs 800
  • Engine oil and oil filter change (20W50 used) ~ Rs 1100
  • New silencer front and rear (Made in Delhi by a local factory) ~Rs 2500
  • 4x4 prop shaft removed. Effectively disabling the 4x4 system. Do not need it for state highways.
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:28   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post

Jammu Mumbai road trip

1: Gypsy preparation
  • 2 crosses replaced with Gogo brand cross (made in Ludhiana) ~ Rs 800
  • Engine oil and oil filter change (20W50 used) ~ Rs 1100
  • New silencer front and rear (Made in Delhi by a local factory) ~Rs 2500
  • 4x4 prop shaft removed. Effectively disabling the 4x4 system. Do not need it for state highways.
Hi antihero,

Awaiting the completion of your travelogue.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 23:34   #67
BHPian

This thread hasn’t been updated in quite some time. Adding my consolidated memorabilia for the past year.

Jammu-Mumbai-Jammu roadtrip

Part 1: Jammu - Chandigarh - Barog - Kandaghat - Solan - Nauradhar - Solan - Chandigarh (around 700 kilometres)

The first part of the trip was Jammu to Chandigarh and then on to Solan for a trek to Karol Tibba. June is a hot month to be driving a Gypsy but its not that hot yet and an early start helped. My mechanic in Jammu did a shoddy job at fixing the new silencer to the exhaust manifold. Its partly my fault, I wasn’t keeping my usual hawk eye on work done. As they say, you gotta DIY to do it properly. The long and short of it, the gypsy got a bit noisy after Hoshiarpur. Stopped just after a toll plaza and saw a gap in the silencer packing between the exhaust manifold and the silencer. Well its too hot to do anything about it so I decided to push on to Chandigarh. It started to drizzle as I entered ‘city beautiful’. Usual pit stop at sector 21 petrol pump for a tankful. Got decent mileage on this stretch 25 litres for 350 kilometres. Overnight with friends in Chandigarh, who insisted on driving the Gypsy over a divider because 1. they could 2. A gypsy brings out the kid in most sedate humans I didn’t have the heart to tell them the 4WD was effectively disabled. The feel of the low range gearbox and the ‘4WD’ light on the dashboard had them in giggles.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0659.jpg
MG410 Near Kalka

Early morning start for Barog. The silencer got a lot louder after Dharamkot and a quick looksie revealed that a bolt holding the silencer to the exhaust manifold had worked its way loose. Kicked myself in the shins since i do have Loctite stashed away in my ‘bag of things i may need on the road’. Located a friendly roadside mechanic before Barog and waited for the block to cool down as we had an animated discussion with much arm waving on petrol vs diesel jeeps over a glass of tea. A half hour later the bolt was replaced and re-tightened, only this time using loctite. The silencer still burbled as the packing was not perfect, but it was just a shade above normal and within my level of tolerence. Human Error 1 fixed in the middle of nowhere.
For anyone who has not been to Barog, I recommend visiting Barog railway station. The railway station, completed in wood is a nostalgic slice of colonial India. A must visit in my book. Overnight in a wooden train station cottage at Barog. Rs 700 only.

Nothing broke down from Barog to Kandaghat and then on to Nauradhar for a small trek to Churdhar. It rained all the way from Solan to Nauradhar. Uneventful ride that saw a lot of 2nd gear driving along a rutted road. Parked the MG410 at the school ground in Nauradhar. Overnight in the back of my Gypsy with my sleeping bag. Next day on to a trek to Churdhar and back. For those who do not know, Churdhar Peak (elevation of 3647 metres; 11,965 feet) is the highest peak in Sirmour district and is also the highest peak in the outer Himalayas.
When I did get back I realised that parking in the school playground was not the brightest idea. The playground lies below the main road after a sharp decline and rain had turned this decline into a slush fest. A couple of attempts to get back up on the main road failed, uhhh! no 4WD either. Backed up all the way to the end of the school ground and used all of it as a runway to launch myself off the sharp ascent to get back on the main road. Landed hard on wheels but it worked. In retrospective it was a stupid idea to not see it coming before it did. Solan - Nauradhar - Solan stretch did eat into the mileage and the Gypsy clocked 11kmph on this rutted stretch.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0788.jpg
Waterfall along the route to Nohradhar

At Solan made a quick trek to Karol Ka tibba. Overnight in Gypsy parked near Solan Train Station.

Solan - Chandigarh was an uneventful drive till Panchkula where the police had a huge road barrier and surprise check going. Surprisingly, they waved the Gypsy through. I guess a white Gypsy screams official. Cant complain and I could hear my friend G (who encouraged me to buy a Gypsy in the first place) telling me that its one of the perks that comes free with a Gypsy. Mileage from Solan to Chandigarh - 13.5 kmpl. Tank filled at Sector 21 and ready for a long haul to Gurgaon and beyond. More on that in the next post.

Last edited by antihero : 20th May 2016 at 23:43. Reason: added image
antihero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 11:34   #68
BHPian

Part 2 - Chandigarh to Gurgaon (around 310 kilometres)

The Gypsy has no appropriate space to store a bottle of water. In the hills, a bottle of water can easily be tucked away between the co-divers seat and the handbrake. In the plains, this hot transmission tunnel sends the water temperature soaring. Every toll plaza between Chandigarh and Delhi is a potential overheating point. The problem is that the normal belt driven fan is ineffective at keeping the engine cool. The MG410 requires forced ventilation of 20kmph or higher speed. Whether this ineffective cooling is due to -

1. A dinged fin 20 year old radiator or
2. A poor / slow 20 year old radiator fan or
3. Due to a faulty thermostat valve
I do not know yet. I muse over this at every toll plaza.

My modus operandi is switch off and turn on when whenever one car moves in line. Keeping in the left lane on a highway means dodging cyclists, motorcyclist usually three or more abreast or potential roadworks. I do have a hearty laugh at cars still trying to overtake me from the left as a matter of habit.

Haryana police around Karnal are on a lookout for speed offenders but my sedate 60-70 mph poses no problem as i breeze through. Fortunately, there is low traffic at Delhi bypass today and except for one scare on the ring road when my temperature gauge went upto 80% in a small traffic jam, all is well. Also makes me thank Maruti engineers of putting a huge analog temperature gauge in a Gypsy. My eyes are peeled on this gauge as I ease through NH8 into Gurgaon at about 1 PM. Lunch and stay wth friends for a week.

More outtakes from Part 1
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0688.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0691.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0694.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0703.jpg  

Old 21st May 2016, 17:46   #69
BHPian

I chanced across this excellent tread and read it all, only to be disappointed to reach the end all too soon. Breathtaking locales, engaging narration and top-notch photography rounds it off. I've subscribed both to this thread and for your newsletter.

There's one thing you seem to have overlooked in your purchase though; the tyres your Gypsy is shod with. I don't think you have mentioned replacing them on this thread; they are in need of immediate replacement if this has not been done.

Though your tyres may have a lot of tread depth left on them, they look like they are well past their service life in terms of age. The picture of the Gypsy rim shows a multitude of cracks on the tyre, leading me to believe they are probably much more than four years old; four years being the typical age for a set of tyres before they need replacement. In addition, your usage pattern takes the Gypsy through uneven terrain and temperature extremes making it more dicey.

Please replace all of the tyres and avoid a possible blow-out. Google for more.

Cheers and happy trails!
airfoil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:24   #70
BHPian

Part 3 - Gurgaon to Mt Abu (around 750 kilometres)

Took the Gypsy to a couple of mechanics in Gurgaon and they had no idea about what was wrong with the cooling system. Their level of ignorance left me in no doubt that I’d be better off not letting them lay their grubby hands on the cooling system.

After much deliberation about traffic patterns vis-a-vis my hot running MG410, I decided to start early. I was on the NH-8 at 0530 and immediately hit the first roadblock at Manesar toll plaza. Mismanaged toll gates had a traffic backlog that stretched for 500 metres. Some cajoling, some aggression, some patience and I was through the toll gates with the temperature gauge hovering just over 80%. NH-8 to Jaipur was probably one of the best road stretches in the country, now ruined by implementation ennui. I was disappointed to see non functional flyovers, roadblocks, diversions galore at every populated stretch. I stopped for a lassi and increased the fuel flow to the carb. The logic being that a greater fuel flow would help run the engine cold-er.

Saw a large company owned petrol pump before Jaipur bypass and topped up with 14 Litres which equates to a mileage of just over 14kmpl! Surprise, surprise, who knew a 20 old petrol guzzling 1.0 L was capable. Sunglasses and cap on after Jaipur as the temperature started to soar in the afternoon. Jaipur to Beawar stretch was the hottest part of the day. The Gypsy trudged on at 65kmph without missing a beat. The temp gauge stuck at a comfortable 40%.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0763.jpg
A bus is a woman, a maruti is a soap dish, driving a truck is a man's prerogative!

I had always maintained a healthy disdain for any commercial vehicle with RJ plates. RJ plate commercial drivers are like ‘americans’ in a way, show them curve on the road and their drivers cannot comprehend it while the vehicles shrivel up and die (With due apologies to RJ drivers and americans). The irony was not lost as an extended body truck ahead of me scraped the divider on the only hard turning for the last 50 kilometres. Sigh!

An uneventful ride to Mt. Abu, reached there late at night. Made the 500+ kilometre in under a tankful, which means i am getting over 12kmpl. The GPS helped me find my way to Guru Shikhar parking. Guru Shikar – the highest point in Rajasthan. It’s 1220m above MSL. The wind flow was lovely and I got a good night sleep. Overnight in Gypsy. Next day in and around Mt. Abu.
antihero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Please replace all of the tyres and avoid a possible blow-out. Google for more.
Dear airfoil,

Yes that is true, i am running on tyres well beyond their serviceable life and I am on pretty thin ice. The only consolation is that these Michelins are tubeless and I do drive under 65 Kmph.

They need to be changed, but I am unable to find worthy Michelin successors. I prefer AT tyres for my kind of terrain and Michelin apparently does not make any in 215-75profile-15inch. I prefer not to upgrade to 235s as they fowl with the suspension on full lock.

Thanks for pointing it out, much appreciated.
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Over heating can be the result of a clogged radiator. If you have never serviced the radiator, do so now. The service consists of
1. Taking the radiator out
2. Disassembling the top and bottom parts
3. Cleaning the cores with acid and water flush. You will be surprised at the amount of muck that comes out
4. Checking for leaking core tubes and plugging them. If at this stage more than a few cores are blocked, it is better to put in a new core
5. Putting it all back
6. Testing the radiator under pressure

That should take care of over heating. I do not think that there is any problem with engine, else you would not only get low FE, but also smoke from the exhaust.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:17   #73
BHPian

Part 4 - Mt Abu - Udaipur - Goregaon Mumbai (around 950 Kilometers)

Smooth sailing all 190 km from Mt. Abu to Udaipur. One of the most interesting bits of road was the stretch between Dang and Kuladevi when i had the road all to myself. It started to rain as i was about to enter Udaipur bringing a much needed respite to a hot, hot day. Explored the city through the day. Fuel topped up in the evening and as the sun was setting I set off on NH-8. The curvaceous road just after Udhampur is a dream come true for any petrolhead. It undulates through the Aravalis and you can maintain a constant 60kmph throughout.

Just after sunset, around 50 kilometres from Udhampur I came across the worst toll gate in my journey. Trucks and cars huddled in a scrum that lasted an hour. I barely made it through as the heat index was hovering just under the danger mark. Lesson learnt! No more driving after sunset. Found a desolate side road and parked off the highway. Overnight in Gypsy. I had wanted to make an early start and had set the alarm for 0500. The night was balmy and humid due to the recent shower and i was unable to get any sleep after 0300. Since I could not sleep, I decided to make it to Mumbai today.

Early morning drive was a solace. Quiet roads, few scattered trucks and the gypsy ran cool and quiet all the way to Gujarat border. Gujarat has the best, yet the most expensive state highways and I cruised through to Vadodara by 10 AM. A tankful at Reliance fuel stop where the attendant was adamant that they would not take cards as the fuel station had just opened for business. Around 14kmpl average clocked in my seat of pants tank full to tank full mileage test. I do miss a tripmeter in a Gypsy.

I had been warned about a major diversion at Bharuch where they are building a new bridge over Narmada. I decided to risk it and was rewarded. The traffic was slow (20kmph) but moving orderly through the diversion. Lunch time saw me in Surat and I stopped over for my last Gujarati thali. After Surat it got crowded and hot till I reached Maharashtra border. However, the minute I stepped into Maharashtra the clouds opened up in a deluge. It rained hard and heavy and the wipers could barely cope with the water flow. Despite the rain guards and the partially open windows it got a bit dangerous when my windows started to mist up. Took a 30 minute breather on the side of the road as the worst of the storm passed through. The rain continued as I made my way through the lushest green stretch. The Western Ghats in the monsoons is what I had come to see and there it was dressed in shades of almost effervescent green. At the toll plaza before Vasai creek, the toll operator let go off the toll for a lift to Ghodbunder. Vast creek was a nightmare. Roadworks and a half completed overpass had led to a huge traffic jam. Stuck for an hour in stop and go traffic. Pulled up the Gypsy on a dirt track along the road, engaged low range and pulled through the worst of the traffic fracas. A Swift diesel decided to copy me and beached itself over a rock, with a leaking sump. At times like this the higher ground clearance of a Gypsy combined with the crawl-ability of low-range is much much appreciated. Dropped off my co-passenger and trudged into Mumbai. The city toll booth was the epitome of efficiency and despite the immense traffic we were ushered in on the western highway in a jiffy. A quick roll through to Goregaon W and parked at my friend’s place.

The MG410W had landed in Mumbai.

P.S. Palm-slap for not filling up in Gujarat. Petrol prices in mumbai are Rs 5 over and above those in J&K! Tank full and calculated 12kmpl
Old 26th May 2016, 21:26   #74
BHPian

Outtakes from Mumbai.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0850.jpg
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0848.jpg

Next. Trekking in and around Western Ghats. The MG410W gets a taste of Western Ghat monsoons
Old 28th May 2016, 14:54   #75
BHPian

Part 5 - Three months in and around Mumbai (around 1000 kilometres)

The reason why I came to Mumbai during the monsoons was to explore and trek in the Western Ghats. The MG410W made that possible. First thing that I did after arriving in Mumbai was to reattach the front Prop shaft. Align spline and tighten 8 bolts with a torque wrench and Bob’s your uncle. The 4WD was back in operation. Little did I know that my arrival in Mumbai would herald a deluge that would continue for the next week. The Gypsy was parked in the street vulnerable to the natural and human elements. I had been warned by my hosts that their neighbourhood was notorious for petty car thefts by junkies. Nonetheless, after a week everything was where it should be. I guess the combination of a white Gypsy and J&K license plates is a fair deterrent. The natural elements were not so kind. The high humidity coupled with sweaty touch-points (unavoidable in my Gypsy due to a lack of Air conditioning) meant I had a lot of spore growth. Took me half a day to get it back in pristine order. It also encouraged me to use it in the city more often.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_1070.jpg
MG410W Near Ganesh Ghat, Bhimashankar

In the city -

I thought we had bad roads in Himachal and J&K but nothing had prepared me for the atrocious state of roads in Mumbai suburbs. I firmly believe now that every excursion off the Western and Eastern highway during the monsoons in Mumbai is an offroad excursion. A couple of times I had to wade through underbridges in Sion and Andheri where only the BEST (the Bus, not the BEST drivers) would dare. I had water come inside the Gypsy cabin on one such occasion. Fortunately the bow wave helped keep water off the plugs and air filter. The 4L made sure none got in through the exhaust in low speeds.

OffTopic - My respect for Mumbai Team-BHP members has grown immensely. I reckon the saltwater, monsoons, roads and insane traffic ages a car four years for every year in the city. Hats off to you fellows for maintaining your cars like you do. Much respect.

In hindsight, probably this water ingress coupled with high humidity led to my first Gypsy failure in over a year of ownership. Situation heading out of Mumbai to Karnala and the Gypsy dies on me in Andheri. Full system shutdown. The engine simply decides to switch off but fortunately I had just enough momentum to steer to the left curb. Turns out I didn’t have any electrical power either. Pop the hood to check the battery connectors. So far so good. Grab my ‘bag of many things for a road trip’ and strip a wire. Open the battery connectors, remove the battery to the side of the road and short the battery to check for battery current. The wire blazes. That’s a good sign. Battery installed. Next inside the driver footwell to check the fuses. The ACC fuse looks fine but the fusebox was extremely moist. Removed all fuses, wiped them clean, blew at the fuse connectors and replaced them with spare fuses i carry in my bag. Check horn and honk. Eureka the Gypsy lives again. Engage clutch and feather the starter. The Gypsy purrs to life. Splendid.

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0896.jpg
MG410W At Prabalgad

No such failures in the next 3 months. I did get into the habit of cleaning the fuses every once in a while. The other realisation, I know now that a Gypsy leaks. Its no surprise it has holes in the driver and co-driver footwells as a design feature. Also, having any kinds of foot mats is a bad idea in Mumbai monsoons. Mats trap moisture and cause rust spots. Its best to have a bare bones body with the drain rubber nubbins taken off. Water gets in, water gets out!

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0901.jpg
At Karnala

More
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_0899.jpg
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-img_1016.jpg

Some photographs and trek logs that the MG410W enabled

Last edited by antihero : 28th May 2016 at 14:58. Reason: grammar and spelling