Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 17:52   #91
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Hi Blackpearl,

have been a big fan of your Thar especially with the White body with the black alloys, which looked amazing.

I hope you dont mind me saying this but the silver alloys just dont have the same look and take away the character from your vehicle.

Please take this as healthy feedback. Look forward to the rest your travelogues.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 10:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 3,276 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Recently did a 4500 Kilometers Kolkata-Chennai-Pondicherry-Kolkata trip in the Thar. Did Kolkata-Chennai (1800 odd kilometers) non-stop in 29 Hours and it was fun to drive. Got held up in Andhra Pradesh due to some festival going on. Lost around 5 hours there. Had to take quite a few detours through villages. Realised that the Thar is comfortable for long distance drives. But the mileage that I got was quite poor at 10 kmpl. While returning, drove sedately and got a mileage of around 14.5, the highest till date. No issues to report at 16000 Kms after 9 months of ownership.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_4861.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_4872.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_4873.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_4876.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Blackpearl,

have been a big fan of your Thar especially with the White body with the black alloys, which looked amazing.

I hope you dont mind me saying this but the silver alloys just dont have the same look and take away the character from your vehicle.

Please take this as healthy feedback. Look forward to the rest your travelogues.

cheers

Kundan
Thanks Kundan. Didn't mind at all. The Thar is primarily driven by wifey and she likes the alloys, so no issues. And I took this opportunity to install the black alloys on my Bolero

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th August 2015 at 10:24.
BlackPearl is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 16:09   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,179
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post


Thanks Kundan. Didn't mind at all. The Thar is primarily driven by wifey and she likes the alloys, so no issues. And I took this opportunity to install the black alloys on my Bolero
Hi Blackpearl,

I remember you mentioning that the black alloys you had on the Sherpa were of HRS make. It would be very kind of you if you could please specify the model name/number and price.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 16:25   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 3,276 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Hi Blackpearl,

I remember you mentioning that the black alloys you had on the Sherpa were of HRS make. It would be very kind of you if you could please specify the model name/number and price.

Cheers,

Jay
Hi Jay, the alloys were not originally black, they were painted. Also I got them used, so no idea about the model or price. They are 15 inchers. I paid 15K for the 5 of them.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2015, 23:35   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 3,276 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

The Thar completed 1 year with us today. Did a 800 km round trip over the weekend and the Thar performed flawlessly as usual. The odometer currently reads 18300 kilometers. The journey with the Thar so far has been peaceful, touchwood. Got the third servicing done just before the trip. Here are a few pics of the vehicle from today's trip.

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20151031_140245.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20151031_140312.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20151031_204147.jpg

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20151101_101324.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:57   #96
BHPian
 
swami69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Great to see your Sherpa performing well. Mine too is perfect so far and I have clocked 13000 kms in 1 year and enjoying every moment of it. Let us catch up next time when you are in Chennai.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 09:01   #97
BHPian
 
johy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 837
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
While parking the vehicle I found out that the tyres were squealing and screeching on tight slow turns. I could still live with a rattling door as I knew it was not a major problem, but this one got me thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The next morning the Rajarshi called up and asked me to first engage the 4WD, then disengage and reverse for about 10 to 12 meters. I followed the instruction and behold!! the problem was resolved. Then I realized that the night before taking the Thar to the workshop I had done the same thing. Hence the service adviser was not able to replicate the issue in the morning. But during the trial in the afternoon some smart-ass must have engaged the 4wd and did not reverse properly resulting in the issue coming back.
You know, BlackPearl, I faced the same issue in my month-old Thar. The first day, my new tires were screeching (just for a fraction of a second) when I took made a quick maneuver on the day of the delivery, taking a sharp left. I did not think much of it, thinking it was a minor tire issue. I had just changed from the Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin LTX AT2.

And then it occurred consistently going up to Kurseong on the Rohini Road on the turns, especially on the sharp turns (turning left). Then I read your review once again this morning, and it seems to a auto locking hub issue. I am going to try the unlocking maneuvers and hopefully the problem should go away.

However, I thought the new Thar had fixed flanges? Please enlighten.

Last edited by johy : 11th November 2015 at 09:04.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 09:19   #98
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 499
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
You know, BlackPearl, I faced the same issue in my month-old Thar.

However, I thought the new Thar had fixed flanges? Please enlighten.
The unlocking procedure for the hubs is mentioned in the service manual. You need to drive the jeep in reverse for a bit to hear the clicking sound for the hubs to be unlocked after moving from 4wd mode to 2wd mode. Driving with locked hubs would not only have steering issues while turning but it may also damage the front drive train components.

The fixed flanges were introduced for a short while only. Although they were intended to solve the issues with the auto hubs, they caused more issues than they solved, especially at higher speeds. The Thar is now back to using auto locking hubs.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 16:10   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 3,276 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
You know, BlackPearl, I faced the same issue in my month-old Thar. The first day, my new tires were screeching (just for a fraction of a second) when I took made a quick maneuver on the day of the delivery, taking a sharp left. I did not think much of it, thinking it was a minor tire issue. I had just changed from the Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin LTX AT2.

And then it occurred consistently going up to Kurseong on the Rohini Road on the turns, especially on the sharp turns (turning left). Then I read your review once again this morning, and it seems to a auto locking hub issue. I am going to try the unlocking maneuvers and hopefully the problem should go away.

However, I thought the new Thar had fixed flanges? Please enlighten.
Dear Johy, your Thar will have auto locking hubs as amolpol has mentioned. One more thing is, even if the hubs are disengaged, if you take a very sharp turn, the rear wheels are going to squeal. This squealing increases a lot if the front wheels are engaged. I don't know why the squealing happens even when the front hubs are disengaged, but it happens to each and every Thar I have driven.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 01:16   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: kolkata
Posts: 259
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The Thar completed 1 year with us today. Did a 800 km round trip over the weekend and the Thar performed flawlessly as usual. The odometer currently reads 18300 kilometers. The journey with the Thar so far has been peaceful, touchwood. Got the third servicing done just before the trip. Here are a few pics of the vehicle from today's trip.

Attachment 1434241

Attachment 1434242

Attachment 1434243

Attachment 1434244
I envy your garage, especially the way you put your rides to use..mile-munching the way they were meant to.Reminds me I now absolutely have to get a 4x4, sedan love be damned

Just a question, how good is the Thar as a daily ride?Question coming from a person who's only had Sedans all his life(Baleno/Octy RS/Sonata Crdi).
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 11:23   #101
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
How good is the Thar as a daily ride? Question coming from a person who's only had sedans all his life(Baleno / Octavia RS / Sonata CRDi).
Dear Octane1002 - hello to you. My answer is . I now request Blackpearl, Amolpol and all other Thar CRDe TeamBHPians to also answer your very important question.

Dear Blackpearl / Amolpol / all TeamBHPians owning Thar CRDe - I request you to kindly do the honors. The question is asked by a person who has used mid-to-high end sedans all his life!

.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 11:33   #102
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,851
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

Just a question, how good is the Thar as a daily ride?Question coming from a person who's only had Sedans all his life(Baleno/Octy RS/Sonata Crdi).
As somebody who has never owned a jeep, and decided to test drive a Thar for an extended period of time, let me give you my 2 cents.

For a car owner, its not really a vehicle. Its a jugaad. There are things you take for granted in a car. For example. When you drive, you are sitting in the drivers seat and steering is in front of you. Not in Thar. You drive like the Vikram/bhoond/Auto driver who has seated 3-4 people on the single drivers seat, and is now driving in a tilted position.

Then there are other things like. When you get out, your clothes should not get caught on hanging screws here and there. Or your knees should not bang against hard metal etc.,

Sometimes when you open the door the door handle may come in your hand. Sedans do not donate parts so easily.

That said the engine is a gem. Its like a group of engineers made and wonderful engine and drivetrain, and gave it to a kindergarten to make it a vehicle.

So you get wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, while sitting sideways, with torn underwear and bits and pieces falling in your lap.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2016, 12:20   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: kolkata
Posts: 259
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Octane1002 - hello to you. My answer is . I now request Blackpearl, Amolpol and all other Thar CRDe TeamBHPians to also answer your very important question.

Dear Blackpearl / Amolpol / all TeamBHPians owning Thar CRDe - I request you to kindly do the honors. The question is asked by a person who has used mid-to-high end sedans all his life!

.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BD Sir, Thank you for the intervention on a very noble cause(if I may say so myself).Let me clarify.Although I have personally owned the sedans I listed (and therefore got used to the associated driving dynamics of a sedan), I was pleasantly surprised recently when I drove a colleague's newly purchased Thar. I certainly did not miss power, had Ac/PS, breaking of course is not in the same league as the sedans.I am not an off-roader, but yes, someday I would like to take the road less travelled..do road trips.

Other than that it got me wondering, if I had missed a trick so to speak, by never having had the courage to buy a 4x4 all through these years. I have been sitting on the fence since the last 8 years since passing out of college w.r.t purchasing an SUV, the only option I ever considered was the Safari.The most recent iteration of the 2.2 VTT Safari to me appeals more than the Storme(personal opinion on looks I guess). Scorpio and XUV are the other real options, but XUV doesn't have a proper 4x4)...and now a Thar.

By liveability, I mean I am absolutely fine with lack of creature comforts as far as basic features are covered.However, not something that will require a nip and tuck every week or the other thereby eating into my time for other chores. Tanveer's reply below seems to point in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As somebody who has never owned a jeep, and decided to test drive a Thar for an extended period of time, let me give you my 2 cents.

For a car owner, its not really a vehicle. Its a jugaad. There are things you take for granted in a car. For example. When you drive, you are sitting in the drivers seat and steering is in front of you. Not in Thar. You drive like the Vikram/bhoond/Auto driver who has seated 3-4 people on the single drivers seat, and is now driving in a tilted position.

Then there are other things like. When you get out, your clothes should not get caught on hanging screws here and there. Or your knees should not bang against hard metal etc.,

Sometimes when you open the door the door handle may come in your hand. Sedans do not donate parts so easily.

That said the engine is a gem. Its like a group of engineers made and wonderful engine and drivetrain, and gave it to a kindergarten to make it a vehicle.

So you get wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, while sitting sideways, with torn underwear and bits and pieces falling in your lap.
Thank you Tanveer for the honest feedback. Engine no doubt is stellar.Its the other things that you mention that worry me.

Last edited by octane1002 : 30th January 2016 at 12:27.
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 20:37   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 3,276 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
I envy your garage, especially the way you put your rides to use..mile-munching the way they were meant to.Reminds me I now absolutely have to get a 4x4, sedan love be damned

Just a question, how good is the Thar as a daily ride?Question coming from a person who's only had Sedans all his life(Baleno/Octy RS/Sonata Crdi).
I think you have already got your answer from the above two posts, however I would like to say only one thing, I have very basic requirements from a vehicle and the Thar fulfills it to the T. Saying that, the Thar is a vehicle that one should never recommend to any other person, because he or she might hate it after putting in the money. Thankfully in my case it has been a wonderful journey so far.
So about your query, you are entirely on your own in this cruel world

Here is a pic to tease you..

The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4-img_20160123_010041.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 31st January 2016 at 20:43.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 14:35   #105
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: The Sherpa - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
BD Sir, Thank you for the intervention on a very noble cause (if I may say so myself). Let me clarify.Although I have personally owned the sedans I listed (and therefore got used to the associated driving dynamics of a sedan), I was pleasantly surprised recently when I drove a colleague's newly purchased Thar. I certainly did not miss power, had AC / PS, braking of course is not in the same league as the sedans. I am absolutely fine with lack of creature comforts as far as basic features are covered. However, not something that will require a nip and tuck every week or the other thereby eating into my time for other chores. Tanveer's reply below seems to point in that direction. Thank you Tanveer for the honest feedback. Engine no doubt is stellar, it's the other things that you mention that worry me.
Dear Octane1002 - OK, now let me give you my honest-to-goodness take on this one. I made Thar because I was nuts (I still am, it's nice to be nuts, there is less competition here). . First of all, I must thank all those "self-respecting-corporate-honcho-type-program-managers" who obviously would not touch this one with a barge pole (poor guys), so I got to do it, yippee! That said, I did it because I knew that nothing else will make my head turn like this one, nothing else will get me a thumbs-up from the merc and beemer guys, nothing else will bring a quiet smile to my lips and a small nod to my head when this one passes me every single time (even today), nothing else will make my heart beat just a little faster, and nothing else (with the exception of all my fully restored classic cars) will make me feel happy and nice!

It is fashionable to flaunt the term "Auto-Passion"! Well, this is living-breathing auto-passion for you! So, I ask you, are you nuts enough? You decide! .

Dear Tanveer - thanks, good one there!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 1st February 2016 at 14:37.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chérie : My Pre-owned Mahindra Thar Crde 4x4 (Toreador Red) sjcherian 4x4 Vehicles 80 29th July 2016 21:25
My 1969 Royal Enfield Sherpa 175cc with Villers engine 82rawath Post-War 54 27th July 2015 19:06
Which 4x4: 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero Mk2 or 2011 Mahindra Thar CRDe 53BHP 4x4 Vehicles 23 14th March 2015 23:53
Mahindra Thar CRDe - An owner's honest perspective. EDIT : Now returned back!! Janjua Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 125 30th May 2013 17:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks