Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:28   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,275
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Did anyone notice the price list available on Mahindra Thar's official website?

Below is a screen shot showing the price list for the state of Karnataka. The price seems to have increased by almost one lakh!

Attachment 1394443

Source: http://www.mahindrathar.com/mahindra-thar-price.aspx
So this will be 9.5 around on road and Mahindra excepts to sell this ? Best of luck M&M !
humyum is online now  
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:40   #197
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 197
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Hope they would have some old Thars lying with dealers which we could pick up at a bargain. With the looks of the new one, they wouldn't last long enough though!
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:00   #198
BHPian
 
swami69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Based on the shared price list, it seems the pricing has gone up by Rs. 1.20 lakhs. M&M has failed to understand the real requirements of the buyers and instead concentrated on some cosmetic changes. Once the basic of A/C was fixed during 2013, the key requirements on a Thar was for a little better interiors, little tweaks here and there, better braking, but most importantly an option of a factory fitted hard top.

If M&M has considered these and done up the following, it would have been a hit.

Option of a Hard Top
Corrected the off-centre seats with some Jugaad
A better quality dash board with limited Instrument clusters
A larger Vaccuum tank for Brake booster

They need not have spent money on that funny looking bumper and any other thing which has consumed that Rs. 1.20 lakhs.

For this same increase or even lesser, they could have provided the above mentioned upgrades which would have made so many people happy and at the same time enhanced its looks.

Now, this THAR is not going to be fancied by Jeep lovers (whether off roaders or non-off roaders) due to a question - Rs. 1.20 lakhs for what ? Plastic Bumpers and the dashboard ? they may not pay for something which they may not like AND It may not be liked by a regular buyer as well considering it is Rs. 9.50 Lakhs stating lacking safety, soft top, etc., Just my opinion.


Swami
swami69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:15   #199
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,493
Thanked: 6,771 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

I am just loving it! These manufacturer's really know how to butcher a perfectly looking classic car into a nonsensical confused creature!

What the vehicle really needed was:

- Braking system from a scorpio, rear disc would have been awesome. ABS included.
- Airbags for safety.
- Rear track width correction with more offset rims.
- Better seats, the new cluster and AC vents in black.
- A decent hard top to keep the elements out. More than anything, to keep that annoying soft top fluttering sound out!!

Option pack should have a central door lock, a powered window winder, front facing seat and maybe some running lights and powered mirrors etc.

This would have made sense!
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:47   #200
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

I agree with everyone that the new bumper is hideous. while the rest of the upgrades are decent in my opinion.

Since the launch of the Thar most owners have spent a bomb doing up interiors, fenders, seats, hardtops etc and maybe now they will find a Thar with interiors which are atleast at par.

DB sir utmost respect for you knowledge, experience and contribution to the Thar project. But Sir if M&M is trying to kill the Thar by giving shoddy plastic bumpers, then by the same logic when it was launched as a "lifestyle" vehicle with the worst interiors what was it trying to do then ?

I can understand the hardcore 4x4 enthusiasts on this forum and in general will hate the "softness" thats been added to this 2015 Thar. But luckily for them at best they have to remove a bumper and maybe remodel fenders.

On the other hand for the last 4 years an average consumer who loves to own something Jeep like, something macho, something " cool & bling"... you know which categories i mean had to go through a world of revamps (and money) to get their vehicles road ready.

with the Thar 2015 i think M&M has tried to woo & cater this segment of youngsters who will use their Thars as their "show off" vehicle and have no qualms in paying the ticket price of 9.5L

anyway these were my 50 cents (which is now valued more than the rapper of the same name, since he went bankrupt )
Ksingh544 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:16   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

The Thar has seen serious price increases since launch. The launch price for the crde in 2011 was 5.99 lac . Agreed, they've added features like the AC and engine immobilizer, but with the current pricing, that's about a 40% increase in 4 years. M&M is clearly cashing-in on the lack of options, but they can't really increase prices without adding commensurate features.

An increase of 60K on the ex-showroom price would translate to 75-80 K on road in Bangalore , taking into account higher insurance and road tax.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:50   #202
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,313 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The Thar has seen serious price increases since launch. The launch price for the crde in 2011 was 5.99 lac .....but they can't really increase prices without adding commensurate features.
Have all other manufacturers held the price they offered in 2011? There is concept in economics called inflation. I don't like price increases but it has happened to pretty much every single model, so why single out Thar & MM for this??

I disagree with many people on the forum that the changes are going to make Thar sales bomb. On the contrary, many people will appreciate the some of the changes which are for the better. There is no point in harping on a removable plastic bumper cover. Most people who go off-road go for aftermarket bumpers anyway.
4x4addict is offline  
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:52   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
I agree with everyone that the new bumper is hideous. while the rest of the upgrades are decent in my opinion.

Since the launch of the Thar most owners have spent a bomb doing up interiors, fenders, seats, hardtops etc and maybe now they will find a Thar with interiors which are atleast at par.

DB sir utmost respect for you knowledge, experience and contribution to the Thar project. But Sir if M&M is trying to kill the Thar by giving shoddy plastic bumpers, then by the same logic when it was launched as a "lifestyle" vehicle with the worst interiors what was it trying to do then ?

I can understand the hardcore 4x4 enthusiasts on this forum and in general will hate the "softness" thats been added to this 2015 Thar. But luckily for them at best they have to remove a bumper and maybe remodel fenders.

On the other hand for the last 4 years an average consumer who loves to own something Jeep like, something macho, something " cool & bling"... you know which categories i mean had to go through a world of revamps (and money) to get their vehicles road ready.

with the Thar 2015 i think M&M has tried to woo & cater this segment of youngsters who will use their Thars as their "show off" vehicle and have no qualms in paying the ticket price of 9.5L

anyway these were my 50 cents (which is now valued more than the rapper of the same name, since he went bankrupt )
I totally echo your sentiments.

Cannot say this about other sections of TBHP, but the members active on the 4x4 section are NOT a true representation of the Thar target market.

Everything said and done, the Thar will sell. Even at 9.5L. Ugly bumpers notwithstanding.

Cheers!
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:07   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,275
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Someone notice the Tachometer in the picture posted. Starts redlining from 6 and ends at 8. Looks like some petrol car's parts bin was picked up without any head or tail notice of what a diesel can or can't do. Half hearted attempts.
humyum is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:33   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Have all other manufacturers held the price they offered in 2011? There is concept in economics called inflation. I don't like price increases but it has happened to pretty much every single model, so why single out Thar & MM for this??
Believe me , I too have heard of the term "inflation" in economics.

How many other vehicles have had an ~40% increase in 4 years ? Please point me to relevant data. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the average price increase in this period will be much lesser.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 22nd July 2015 at 19:38.
sdp1975 is offline  
Old 22nd July 2015, 22:43   #206
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,313 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Please point me to relevant data. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the average price increase in this period will be much lesser.
You are the scientist that made the claim, so I think you should bring out the data that proves a 40% increase..
4x4addict is offline  
Old 23rd July 2015, 05:55   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You are the scientist that made the claim, so I think you should bring out the data that proves a 40% increase..
The thar was launched at 5.99 lac and going by the price chart in a previous post , will be 8.3 lacs - that's a 38.6 % increase in the price of the Thar crde.

Prices of vehicles on an average haven't gone up by 40% in the last 4 years . My 2009 Punto cost 7 lacs , now it costs around 8 lacs. That's about a 15% increase in 6 years, for a car that sells in hundreds. A more ballpark figure of price movement would be 10-20% in the last 4 years for vehicles in general.

The price of the Thar has certainly gone up a lot more than other vehicles in the same period. That's due to lack of competition, inflation alone doesn't explain the price rise.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 23rd July 2015 at 05:57.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:30   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

So rest in peace, Thar.
Mahindra has literally shot their own foot with the ugly bumpers and interiors along with the price rise.
speedmiester is online now  
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:46   #209
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
So rest in peace, Thar.
Mahindra has literally shot their own foot with the ugly bumpers and interiors along with the price rise.
I see a possibility of a silver lining around the dark cloud - if Mahindra sells the 2nd-gen Thar (with air con) as the Mahindra Thar Classic - it may in fact have more takers than the current 'refresh'!

Incidentally, the Thar 'refresh' makes Dilip Chhabria's Thar 'disaster' look more palatable
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:07   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,010
Thanked: 2,468 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Prices of vehicles on an average haven't gone up by 40% in the last 4 years . My 2009 Punto cost 7 lacs , now it costs around 8 lacs. That's about a 15% increase in 6 years, for a car that sells in hundreds. A more ballpark figure of price movement would be 10-20% in the last 4 years for vehicles in general.
Agreed - its because of very limited / nil competition in this segment that Mahindra can afford to increase prices - I think this has now gone beyond Bolero which comes with much more stuff ( steel included ! )

Maybe things might change after launch of Isuzu 4x4 next April , price I doubt but Mahindra will have to give more .

Are we aware of increase in prices of DI - I understand there are lot of sales of this model as well as its one of the cheapest Diesel vehicle available
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 441 25th April 2013 12:26
Scoop Pics: Ford Figo facelift spotted testing Auto freak The Indian Car Scene 92 15th October 2012 16:07
SCOOP* Audi A4 Facelift caught testing on Mumbai roads - Launch on 4th May 2012 Mad Monkey The Indian Car Scene 91 3rd May 2012 17:22
SCOOP - Mahindra Thar caught testing on the expressway Sabareesh 4x4 Vehicles 168 7th January 2010 13:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks