Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 12th May 2016, 18:04   #181
BHPian

@BlackPearl Thanks for the response. Yes indeed it a good feat for Duster. IMHO such terrains should be done by a true blood only. Not sure the damage such terrains caused to Duster in short and long run.
ManuMacher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 18:42   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

Yes Dry Ice, one of my friends, a veteran rally driver has taken his Gypsy 1.3 mpfi to Sandakphu. He was complaining about the huge turning radius, the lack of low end grunt and the horrible ride quality of the Gypsy.
Did he also complain about traction at the rear and the tight and thus cumbersome to use steering in slow, tight turns? I had spoken to a Gypsy driver once who had these remarks about a similar climb on the Gypsy, though much less difficult than S'phu.

Also, was it a stock Gypsy?

Regards,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 19:23   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Did he also complain about traction at the rear and the tight and thus cumbersome to use steering in slow, tight turns? I had spoken to a Gypsy driver once who had these remarks about a similar climb on the Gypsy, though much less difficult than S'phu.

Also, was it a stock Gypsy?

Regards,
Neel
I did not understand the cumbersome steering feel being attributed to the traction at the rear of the Gypsy. Could you please explain a bit more?

It was not a bone stock Gypsy. It had headers and FFE installed.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 19:40   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I did not understand the cumbersome steering feel being attributed to the traction at the rear of the Gypsy. Could you please explain a bit more?

It was not a bone stock Gypsy. It had headers and FFE installed.
Thanks for digging into my query Sumitro Da.

Pardon my expressing skills, I didn't attribute the traction at the rear to the steering. What I meant was the tightness of the steering resulting to the cumbersome feel: "tight, and thus cumbersome". Traction at the rear is an entirely different point.

Guessed it was not stock. Rally Gypsies seldom are.

Hope I made my point clear.

Apologies,
Neel

P.S: Noticed the D-BHPian tag quite late. Congrats! Sorry for going off the topic.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 19th May 2016 at 19:42.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 20:53   #185
Senior - BHPian

The thread has gone quiet.

Experts, can a Duster AWD scale Marisimik La? Alone, with a newbie driver.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 23:13   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

I would reckon yes. But safe practice is to have two vehicles
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 12:51   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The thread has gone quiet.

Experts, can a Duster AWD scale Marisimik La? Alone, with a newbie driver.
Depends on the track condition. Some parts get deep ruts after an army convoy passes. In that case you can damage vehicle. You can try it, but don't do anything stupid.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 13:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Lol! No sir, just asking coz being a monocoque I assume it would suffer in rocky conditions due to the low hanging exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Depends on the track condition. Some parts get deep ruts after an army convoy passes. In that case you can damage vehicle. You can try it, but don't do anything stupid.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 15:30   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Monocoque or ladder chassis - both will suffer if driven without care. TSK's been there in his white elephant and knows what's likely to make you suffer
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote