Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:39   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

How about this?
Can a Duster AWD manage this climb?
Need info for a friend who is planning to pick one soon
I still remember, that i was in 2nd gear and 4L in Transfer case during this climb
.


External view

akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:44   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,096
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

All the high end 4x4 are now coming with automatic gearbox only - Mercedes ML GL G Audi Q5 Q7, Range Rovers etc. All are excellent off roaders bettering the manual gearbox Thar and Scorpio 4x4 specs.

In situations like described in this thread, it is the narrow track, extreme hair pin bends that are major obstacle. Very steep slopes can be tackled with more torque and HP, but slippery, twisting steep terrain are a different ball game.

Last edited by Aroy : 3rd April 2015 at 19:45.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:29   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,439
Thanked: 1,930 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I agree to your point but then the question arises on why should there be such monopoly in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post



But then Sikkim has already done this & I am sure, many places will follow suit. There is something similar started in, up north, unsure of the place.

I can't go to places in my own country


This has been started & I am sure many unions will start following this. And then one day you will have to park your Thar @ Siliguri and catch a taxi or explore on a Motorcycle.

There should be some criteria for vehicles wanting to go to off-beat places. You never know when Sandakphu might go on that list or other lovely places.
As of now, there is no restriction for anyone. I would want it to remain that way.
If every Darjeeling visitor now decides to also do Sandakphu (And many will because of the way it is being 'promoted'), I'm not hopeful. I'm not in favour of this kind of 'promoting'.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:49   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 2,221 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How about this?
Can a Duster AWD manage this climb?
Need info for a friend who is planning to pick one soon
I still remember, that i was in 2nd gear and 4L in Transfer case during this climb
With appropriate tyres (that can handle the rocks and have decent grip), why not? From the video the trail seems relatively flat. I do understand that the video might not capture actual conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All the high end 4x4 are now coming with automatic gearbox only - Mercedes ML GL G Audi Q5 Q7, Range Rovers etc. All are excellent off roaders bettering the manual gearbox Thar and Scorpio 4x4 specs.

In situations like described in this thread, it is the narrow track, extreme hair pin bends that are major obstacle. Very steep slopes can be tackled with more torque and HP, but slippery, twisting steep terrain are a different ball game.
Why are you clubbing a Q5 with a Range Rover? A Thar would run rings around an AWD such as Q5 when the going gets tough.

Yes, narrow road + sharp curves, that will challenge any long/wide vehicle with bad turning radius.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:10   #110
BHPian
 
studentonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 45
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Its a pity most Indian drivers wont venture off road with their SUV's. I'm surprised because the cost of fixing collateral damage in India is a lot less when you compare that to countries with higher labor rates. A trip to the mechanic to get your car back to shape after an offroading trip in the US can pretty much bankrupt you if you dont have full insurance

That being said does anyone see the Indian offroading scene getting better over time.
studentonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 22:38   #111
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How about this?
Can a Duster AWD manage this climb?
Yes, this is pretty tame. The only issue is if there are big rocks lying around which can hit the underbody. Did steeper climbs in Iceland than the Gata loop shortcuts. Infact, at one stage, I had to go to 4WD Lock from Auto mode as she started spinning wheels on the steep gravel climb.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 07:19   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
With appropriate tyres (that can handle the rocks and have decent grip), why not? From the video the trail seems relatively flat. I do understand that the video might not capture actual conditions.
.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, this is pretty tame. The only issue is if there are big rocks lying around which can hit the underbody. Did steeper climbs in Iceland than the Gata loop shortcuts. Infact, at one stage, I had to go to 4WD Lock from Auto mode as she started spinning wheels on the steep gravel climb.

That Sounds assuring, even for me as might consider Duster AWD as a replacement for the Scorpio, 2 years down the line.
Might as well test it on way to leh later this year, after my friend picks it up.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 11:17   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,023
Thanked: 4,452 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That Sounds assuring, even for me as might consider Duster AWD as a replacement for the Scorpio, 2 years down the line.
Might as well test it on way to leh later this year, after my friend picks it up.
OT:

Suggest you and your friend TD [as extensive as possible] the new Scorpio as well as the Duster prior to signing the dotted line. You both might have different opinion.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 12:04   #114
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 175
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
BlackPearl has done it, so has 1100D & Himandri,
I have a question for all the respected Sandakphu gurus - Can this be done in a Fortuner 4X4 ? I am decent driver, not a specialist, and have done Dhanushkodi to Turtuk [Southern most tip to Northern most tip] and now aiming east.
Not a lot aware of my vehicle's technicals [like gear ration etc.,].
FORTified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 20:37   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,141
Thanked: 2,243 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I have a question for all the respected Sandakphu gurus - Can this be done in a Fortuner 4X4 ? I am decent driver, not a specialist, and have done Dhanushkodi to Turtuk [Southern most tip to Northern most tip] and now aiming east.
Not a lot aware of my vehicle's technicals [like gear ration etc.,].

The answer to your question can be found below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Sorry, had missed your post. For the Fortuner, I dont think the switchbacks are going to be a problem, you will have space for 3-point (even for me, I got all the turns one shot on the way up, but somehow, on the way down it was always 3 point - where you are backing up against the slope). So worth a try. Even while taking my Scorpio up, the word from locals, at every point had been discouraging. Some said, too wide, some said, too long, some said, too goodlooking!

However, there could be one "bottleneck" (almost literally), its a small bridge in the forest section between the Sangalila entry and Gairibash. The width of this narrow and weak concrete bridge might be just sufficient for the Fortuner, but (while going to S'phu) the entry to this bridge is on a curve, with very limited runoff, even Scorpio's wheelbase (since you are entering the bridge at an angle/curve) was a tight fit. You will need to be careful here, probably good "spotting" can see you through.





.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 22:15   #116
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Did you do the test in reverse also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
...you are backing up against the slope...
Moot question. Since:
- Duster AWD 1st gear ratio: 4.48
- Duster AWD reverse gear ratio: 3.09
- Scorpio 4wd reverse gear ratio: 3.524

@1100D: Your Excel sheet would need to be put to some more use.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 4th April 2015 at 22:17.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 11:29   #117
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 175
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Moot question. Since:
- Duster AWD 1st gear ratio: 4.48
- Duster AWD reverse gear ratio: 3.09
- Scorpio 4wd reverse gear ratio: 3.524
.
Can you please provide similar info for Fortuner 4X4? Also, please point me to a place where I can read more about the topic. Sorry, I don't have mechanical background but am interested.
FORTified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 14:53   #118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Can you please provide similar info for Fortuner 4X4? Also, please point me to a place where I can read more about the topic.
Gear ratios for the manual 5-speed 3.0 D4-D 4wd Fortuner:
1st gear: 4.313
2nd gear: 2.330
3rd gear: 1.436
4th gear: 1.000
5th gear: 0.838
Reverse gear: 4.220
Low range: 2.566
Final drive: 3.909(?)

More information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
...for the South African Fortuner Manual 3.0 D4D.
The Indian website has no mention of different gear ratios...

Crawl ratio: 1st gear ratio X transfer case ratio X axle/differential ratio
= 4.313 X 2.566 X 3.583 = 39.65
...
Also, for those interested in the Fortuner AT version: FYI, the manual version is more efficient in terms of offroading compared to the AT. The 1st gear ratio of the AT version is 2.804. So TC ratio and diff ration remaining same, the crawl ratio for the AT version comes to 25.78.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 15:50   #119
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 175
Thanked: 400 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Gear ratios for the manual 5-speed 3.0 D4-D 4wd Fortuner:
1st gear: 4.313
2nd gear: 2.330
3rd gear: 1.436
4th gear: 1.000
5th gear: 0.838
Reverse gear: 4.220
Low range: 2.566
Final drive: 3.909(?)
Thank you sir. Is there a good place that explains these numbers in more detail? Right now, they are just numbers for me
FORTified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 19:37   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: shimla
Posts: 237
Thanked: 242 Times
Default Re: Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Thank you sir. Is there a good place that explains these numbers in more detail? Right now, they are just numbers for me
take a look at the link below
bullrun87 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore-Raichak (West Bengal) Jan 2011 drive_or_die Travelogues 3 18th November 2010 21:10
Petrol Pump Buying in West Bengal - Need suggestions akaushik Shifting gears 3 8th April 2010 22:12
Xylo at Deomali - Highest peak in Eastern Ghats H3LIOS Travelogues 27 2nd January 2010 10:46
My say on West Bengal traffic esteemer Street Experiences 17 3rd July 2009 21:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks