Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 18:35   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 155
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Fantastic thread, Tejas. Went through it in one go. I had a Pajero and now you have brought it all back to me, including what all I could have done but didn't have the knowledge to! Perhaps will get one soon and follow in your footsteps.

Wonderful work. What a Pajero!
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 13:35   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Finally took the plunge and got the suspension overhaul.

The car had done 99750kms and was time to replace the shocks. So went the full hog and got the Ironman Lift Kit.

Kit contains 4 nitrogas shock absorbers, 2 coils and 2 torsion bars.

I didn't want to do the lift and the torsion bars will be at stock setting.

Got a sweet deal from Zac of Ironman India and picked the kit up at pre GST rates in June but got time to install it only two weeks ago.

Waited to test it out on two offroad excursions and highway runs before putting up my review.

Here's the kit:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-04a-full-set-shock-boxed.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-01-coils.jpg

The Torsion bars:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-03tb.jpg

Left and right are clearly marked and should not be interchanged:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-02-tb-marked.jpg

The individual coil (also marked driver and passenger):

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-04-coil.jpg

Stock Coil:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-05-stock-coil.jpg

Vehicle on lift at the Sanjay Raj Mitsubishi Service Centre at Marol, Mumbai:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-06-lift.jpg

With the tyre removed, you can clearly see the old shock and coil:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-07-tyre-removed-rear.jpg

The old shock absorber removed:
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-08-old-shock.jpg

The axle drops as soon as shocks removed and needs to be supported from below: (they used a drum)

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-08a-old-removed.jpg

The new and old spring. Height is the same, the spring rate is different:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-09-old-new-spring.jpg

Attaching the spring compressor to fit the coil: (2 are used per spring)

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-10-coil-insertion-tool.jpg

Inserted:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-11-coil-inserted.jpg

Removed the tool:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-12-coil-inserted-tool-removed.jpg

The coil and the shock:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-13-coil-shock.jpg


Both Coils:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-14-both-coils.jpg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 16th August 2017 at 13:38.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 13:47   #123
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

The new shock absorbers have a longer travel.

So the stock brake pipe was just right for stock suspension and in case i had both rear wheels drop into a crevice or ditch during offroad, i had a sure shot chance of ripping the pipe off.

Old pipe:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15a-brake-pipe-old.jpg

So had to source a longer brake pipe:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15b-brake-pipe-new.jpg

Even rear brake pads were replaced in the same sitting.

The old rear linkage bushes were torn and tearing:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15c-rear-old-linkage.jpg

Got new ones fit as well:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15d-new-linkage.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15e-new-linkage-fixed.jpg


Front old shock absorber:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-15-front-suspension.jpg

New one fit:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-16-front-shock.jpg

Remember, the shock absorbers have to be tightened fully to recommended torque only after the vehicle is back on the ground and the shocks get loaded. Zac was always on the phone with me guiding me and seeing pics on whatsapp of every step to make sure everything is getting done correctly.

Last to be fit are the torsion bars:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-fixing-torsion-bars.jpg

With tyre in place:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-16a-front-shock-tyre.jpg

Since the tyres were already off the rim, i got a rotation done as well according to the following formula:

Name:  17 tyre rotation.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  20.9 KB

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 16th August 2017 at 13:53.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 13:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Since the guy who does balancing at the workshop wasn't in that day, got the balancing done at Mahim:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2725.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2726.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2727.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:01   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

The mechanic at the workshop was an old hand at the Pajero SFX and pro and got to learn a few things about the vehicle.

Here's an underbody shot:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-underbody.jpg

The front differential has an aluminium cover with fins for heat dissipation:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-fron-dif.jpg

There are slots in the skid plate to aid this:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-slot-skid-plate.jpg

The brake bias spring. As the weight in the rear increases, the spring activates a valve and extra braking force is applied to the rear. Precursor to EBD?

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-brake-bias-spring.jpg

The Pajero has stock build in diff breather tubes. The tube goes from the dif to a cross pipe in the chassis:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-dif-breather.jpg

The pipe is hermetically sealed with plugs at both ends and the pressure stabilises here without any issue: (same for front). So no need to run long pipes to the engine bay.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-plugs.jpg


Did you know that the Pajero has more than 9 greasing points?

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-greasing.jpg

There are also nearly 6 places from where brakes need to be bled. Most outside workshop people only know of 4 and miss 2 near the brake bias valve.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 16th August 2017 at 14:02.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:19   #126
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

The behaviour of the vehicle after the install is superb!

Tackles rough roads like they didn't exist.

Body roll is less but could have been lesser (probably due to the load on the roof).

Some pics from a recce we did for an event:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2618.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2634.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2638.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2642.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2673.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2683.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_2699.jpg

At one point the car slid down 4 feet and hit a tree hard:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-slide.jpg


I thought, "there goes my rear corner bumper." Was quite shocked when i saw that the plastic part was just scratched a bit and a 1% deformation on the top curved inside area:

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-hit.jpg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 16th August 2017 at 14:21. Reason: typo correction
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:47   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 213
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Great upgrade. A lot of interesting and useful information about the small but critical things like brake bleeding points. Really helpful. Thanks for sharing. My Pajero just crossed 95k too, perhaps I need to look at my shocks and springs too. Do share Zac'c details and the cost of the Ironman kit if if possible. Wish you all the best for the next 100k kilometres.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 15:18   #128
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Great upgrade. A lot of interesting and useful information about the small but critical things like brake bleeding points. Really helpful. Thanks for sharing. My Pajero just crossed 95k too, perhaps I need to look at my shocks and springs too. Do share Zac'c details and the cost of the Ironman kit if if possible. Wish you all the best for the next 100k kilometres.
Thanks.

I got a pre GST deal where dealer wanted to liquidate as much stock as possible.

I suggest you contact Zac directly for current pricing.

Now the next question is why Ironman?

I had the following options available in India to choose from:

- TJM
- Ironman
- OME

TJM were price wise value for money but online reviews were mixed (I always refer to Aussie forums for Pajero related product reviews). Honestly i was tempted but they weren't in stock for a month or so and thus made my choice not to go with them easier. Plus, the pros of ironman that are listed further down in this post.

OME, great stuff from a well known company, ARB. Online reviews say it was more suited for offroad and on road ride being a bit jarry. With my usage being more on the road and plus a heavy price point made me look away here as well. I did have an option to import them directly (a fried could have carried it), but these are the following reasons i finally chose Ironman:

- Local dealer with years of goodwill and i've never heard of any complaint against him
- Warrantee honoured in India
- And the clincher was that a buddy on mine has done 1 lakh kms on his Pajero GLX on this suspension and the vehicle is as good as new.

The pre GST deal just made it sweeter.

NOTE: I have no special obligation to promote Ironman in return for any favour. I value my integrity more and this is an honest opinion.

Next point why the Nitrogas shocks.

They also have foam cell shocks which are much better.

Two reasons:

Nitrogas shocks will fade a bit on sustained long hard drives and need a bit of cooling down. Ofcourse they are better than stock shocks but this fade is caused by cavitation (reduced to a high extend by N2) and is unavoidable in any brand. There are many youtube videos explaining this phenomenon.

The foam cell ones are designed to overcome the above issue.

However, the ride is hard on an unloaded vehicle and the dealer himself said if you are not going to be towing a trailer and carrying more than 200kgs at the rear he would not recommend them to me in interest of better ride quality.

Plus the price is also much higher.

Thus, the choice of nitrogas shocks and medium load springs.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 15:28   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On the road...
Posts: 213
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Any contact details for Zac if you can share please.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 16:37   #130
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Any contact details for Zac if you can share please.
Have PMed you the contact.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 20:19   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,379
Thanked: 937 Times
Default

Hi Tejas, many congratulations for the Ironman upgrade. I took the same in June from Zac and it does show the difference in the ride and handling departments.

Happy Motoring!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 13:38   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,162
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
reasons i finally chose Ironman:

- Local dealer with years of goodwill and i've never heard of any complaint against him
- Warrantee honoured in India
- And the clincher was that a buddy on mine has done 1 lakh kms on his Pajero GLX on this suspension and the vehicle is as good as new.
Good upgrade Tejas. Having used Ironman setup on my Fortuner for long enough, I can vouch for the advantages of this setup Vs the OEM.

However, will share my recent experience with Ironman (a proper post regarding this incident will be up on my ownership thread soon).

On my car, one of the Ironman shocks from the rear broke during a road trip to Shimla, this was in mid-August. Went through a big ordeal because I was with family during this trip.
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20170815_220913.jpg

Utter surprise and response from Zac wasn't really heart warming either.

A couple of facts about the setup:

1. Ironman Nitrogas Shocks all around; Load rated springs in front (due to bar and winch) and medium rate springs in rear. 90,000 kms of total mileage on this setup.

2. Rubber bushes on the shock absorbers wear out, a very common issue with Ironman shocks. I was in touch with Zac, discussing rubber bush replacement, even before the shock broke.

3. The setup was installed in early 2013 and came with 2 years/40,000 kms warranty. So when the shock absorber broke, they were out of warranty.

4. Zac's response to breakage incident was inadequate and he seemed to blame it on off-roading. Even more surprising to be honest. I can understand a shock absorber seal weeping, but breakage is completely unacceptable. No seal leaking in my case!

We have multiple cars in our off-roading circle which have done similar mileage under similar usage on OEM shocks, the worst they have seen is faded shock damping and leaky seals. No breakage still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Next point why the Nitrogas shocks.

They also have foam cell shocks which are much better.

Two reasons:

Nitrogas shocks will fade a bit on sustained long hard drives and need a bit of cooling down. Ofcourse they are better than stock shocks but this fade is caused by cavitation (reduced to a high extend by N2) and is unavoidable in any brand. There are many youtube videos explaining this phenomenon.

The foam cell ones are designed to overcome the above issue.

However, the ride is hard on an unloaded vehicle and the dealer himself said if you are not going to be towing a trailer and carrying more than 200kgs at the rear he would not recommend them to me in interest of better ride quality.

Plus the price is also much higher.

Thus, the choice of nitrogas shocks and medium load springs.
Haha, in my case, when I was in discussion with him for shock absorber replacement (before breakage incident), he kept pushing my towards Foamcell, and kept mentioning 'you have already tried Nitrogas, try Foamcell this time'. I had done my research on this thoroughly and I would have gone for nitrogas for myself again, if the replacement would have been Ironman. Zac's quoted prices to me were quite steep in India, I got the quotation from Ironman South Africa and Australia as well, the price difference there between Nitrogas and Foamcell lies between 11% to 15%. With Zac, I am still unsure why the price difference between these two becomes 45% to 50%, surprising because the commodity remains the same and I am sure even with higher price at origin and added taxes, it doesn't justify so much price increase at destination. Better margins for him, may be, but then why hide things from customers!

I am glad he was honest with you in your case. BTW, as per him, his ratio of sales of Nitrogas Vs FoamCell is 98:2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have no special obligation to promote Ironman in return for any favour. I value my integrity more and this is an honest opinion.
Same for me, nothing against Ironman for that matter. I have said it many times and saying it again, Ironman setup is a super nice and worthy upgrade over OEM setup (more so, in case of Fortuner where OEM is just too bumpy and jittery). However, this incident of shock absorber breaking simply left a bad taste and Zac's inability to provide any sort of support in this case was unjustified IMHO. The worst thing in my case was the super-fast deterioration of suspension within a month period!

Hence I decided to move ARB Old Man Emu Nitrocharger this time, loving the new setup even more than Ironman and warranty is at par with Ironman as well (3 years/60,000 kms). We have a local ARB dealer in Delhi NCR now and this should facilitate any warranty related issues, if any. Funny thing is, OME shock absorber's quoted price were at least 10% lower than Ironman! World over, they are priced at higher premium compared to Ironman.

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20170819_123659.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion-img_20170820_090042.jpg


Anyway, back to your thread, I just wanted to post my experience for putting things in better perspective for others.
Ace F355 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 14:01   #133
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Thanks for the heads up!

Good no accident happened when they broke.
So how many Kms did you do on the Ironman Shocks before they broke?

BTW, isn't this Rahul's (Terrain Tiger) car? Did you buy this from him? Even he had installed the Ironman's if i recall correctly. I remember this because he used to do a lot of jumps with the vehicle and was very happy with the performance.

So this is the second set of ironmans that you installed after taking out rahul's set? Because rahul must have destroyed his set...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 15:33   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,162
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

Good no accident happened when they broke.
So how many Kms did you do on the Ironman Shocks before they broke?

BTW, isn't this Rahul's (Terrain Tiger) car? Did you buy this from him? Even he had installed the Ironman's if i recall correctly. I remember this because he used to do a lot of jumps with the vehicle and was very happy with the performance.

So this is the second set of ironmans that you installed after taking out rahul's set? Because rahul must have destroyed his set...
90,000 kms on these shocks. Yes this is Rahul's car (I have an ownership thread on TBHP as well) and has been running on 1st set of Ironman shocks. I am not sure how you say Rahul must have destroyed his set, because when I bought the car in April 2011, he had put on a little less than 40k kms on the shocks and the suspension was absolutely perfect by then, not only my words but also Toyota's because I had the car inspected by them thoroughly before my purchase.

Since past April after I got the car, I put on around 50k kms on them before they gave up on me. A lot of really good trips, too (including mine and .anshuman's adventures in Ladakh and Himachal trip this past April). That's how I know how good Ironman setup really is (as long as it works!!!).

I am 100% sure I could not have survived 50,000 kms on a destroyed set of shocks! I know after we put on the information in the public regarding the broken shock, Ironman4x4 dealer (and his sub-dealers) have been putting this excuse to save their skin, but the fact is, this incident was equally rude shock to me and that's why I decided to put it out in open (more so, because there was absolute no sign from the shocks to give up like that, no leaking seals etc).
Ace F355 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 16:00   #135
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
90,000 kms on these shocks. Yes this is Rahul's car (I have an ownership thread on TBHP as well)
Can you put up the link?

Quote:
I am not sure how you say Rahul must have destroyed his set
Using the word liberally because i used to see a lot of his pics of extreme offroad and a few doing jumps. And jumps and suspension are not good friends.

Quote:
Since past April after I got the car, I put on around 50k kms on them before they gave up on me. A lot of really good trips, too (including mine and .anshuman's adventures in Ladakh and Himachal trip this past April). That's how I know how good Ironman setup really is (as long as it works!!!).
Ok.

Quote:
I know after we put on the information in the public regarding the broken shock, Ironman4x4 dealer (and his sub-dealers) have been putting this excuse to save their skin,
I have no clue about what the dealer and sub dealers are doing.

Not very active on social media except when i go to Facebook to update my offroad junkie page.

However, i'd be interested in reading this if you can share links.


The fact that they broke at 90k kms means something wrong has happened. Either too many jumps or abuse or a flaw in the setup. This is because a few friends have put in more than a lakh kms on these without issue which is the reason why i went with Ironman in the first place.


Quote:
but the fact is, this incident was equally rude shock to me and that's why I decided to put it out in open (more so, because there was absolute no sign from the shocks to give up like that, no leaking seals etc).
A shock sitting down or not returning to normal height (squatting) or leaky seals is a failing shock due to age according to my personal understanding. A broken shock is either abuse or flawed piece - again my understanding.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Pajero SFX spittingfire 4x4 Vehicles 108 11th December 2015 18:56
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX production to end in 2012 GTO The Indian Car Scene 85 5th September 2015 12:54
Pajero SFX one year on Sawyer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 70 15th October 2012 20:10
Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 3 17th February 2012 12:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks