Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 17th April 2008, 12:09   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That probably explains why Invader comes with Peugeot XD-3P H IDI engine. No turbo lag to deal with.
There's no Turbo at all in the IDI engine..right?

Only the new boleros come with a DI engine and Turbo!!
Old 17th April 2008, 12:19   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...Only the new boleros come with a DI engine and Turbo!!
I have seen an Invader with DI badging : I think the new Invader 2WD is available with the DI Turbo that is now standard on the Bolero (prob. the 4WD Invader has only the 2.5L IDI engine)
Old 17th April 2008, 12:23   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There's no Turbo at all in the IDI engine..right?

Only the new boleros come with a DI engine and Turbo!!
The Invader is still offered with non-turbo engines.

DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles
Old 17th April 2008, 12:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

The engine combinations that Mahindra works on is so damn confusing
Old 17th April 2008, 12:58   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The engine combinations that Mahindra works on is so damn confusing
agreed Spitfire, it may end up like the gurkha story where you never know what in inside the hood until you get the keys!!!
Old 17th April 2008, 13:40   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That probably explains why Invader comes with Peugeot XD-3P H IDI engine. No turbo lag to deal with.
To add more to the confusion, XD3P engine is no longer offered as an option since it is not BSIII compliant and Mahindra doesn't want to invest in making this engine BSIII complaint. Not sure if it can be special ordered if you are registering the vehicle in a rural place. I was told by a dealer that you cannot get the XD3P anymore but then again, many people ont his board know more than the dealers about the vehicles they sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I have seen an Invader with DI badging : I think the new Invader 2WD is available with the DI Turbo that is now standard on the Bolero (prob. the 4WD Invader has only the 2.5L IDI engine)
You are correct. New Invader comes with the DI Turbo engine and as I mentioned about 2.5 IDI is not longer available due to BSIII compliance issues.

Quote:
The Invader is still offered with non-turbo engines.

DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles
Dealer websites aren't usually uptodate.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 17th April 2008 at 13:43.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:59   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
To add more to the confusion, XD3P engine is no longer offered as an option since it is not BSIII compliant and Mahindra doesn't want to invest in making this engine BSIII complaint. Not sure if it can be special ordered if you are registering the vehicle in a rural place.
In rural areas they still sell BSII most of the time. For example, Force motors is extremely reluctant to sell BSIII engines with Gama, they mostly sell BSII engines. I can actually buy BSII because of my location, but not in the market right now.
Old 17th April 2008, 15:17   #173
Senior - BHPian

As per the mahindra bolero website the 4x4 version comes with the XD3P Engine but 68bhp, wasnt it rated at 72.5 bhp for civilian use?

God!!! i am going mad looking at these engines Mahindra keeps changing.
Old 17th April 2008, 16:10   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
As per the mahindra bolero website the 4x4 version comes with the XD3P Engine but 68bhp, wasnt it rated at 72.5 bhp for civilian use?

God!!! i am going mad looking at these engines Mahindra keeps changing.
It was 75 bhp when first launched on the Armada Grand. The Army version of the engine still makes 75 bhp. The civilian version was detuned to 72.5 bhp. I remember reading many years back that it was doen for milage reasons. More recently it was further downgraded to 68 bhp. You got to love the attitude of these indian companies who actually lower engine power in newer models !!!
Old 17th April 2008, 16:16   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Dealer websites aren't usually uptodate.
Remember some dealer in north still selling the Marshall and Voyager until Q3' 07..!!
Old 17th April 2008, 18:09   #176
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To add more to the confusion, XD3P engine is no longer offered as an option since it is not BSIII compliant and
I will confirm, but am pretty sure that the invoice on my XD3P read BSIII.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:40   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I will confirm, but am pretty sure that the invoice on my XD3P read BSIII.
GTO, if you are referring to the new engine you got recently, It may very well be a III, not sure if its mass produced yet!
Old 17th April 2008, 22:34   #178
Senior - BHPian

The XD3P engine is not is not BS3 complaint thats the reason it's not sold in the major cities, but vehicles with this engine are sold outside of the city limits. The reasion for not getting these engines complaint for new Norms is that , they will have to down the power more to get them complaint and very expansive to do this [same reason frod pulled out the diesel Ikon] ,M&M wants to develop one engine platform and DI engines from M&M have been more relaible than both the peugot engines.

But may be the enigne they supplied GTO may be from the export model [if any are exported with this engine] and hence BS3.
Old 18th April 2008, 06:46   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
M&M wants to develop one engine platform and DI engines from M&M have been more relaible than both the peugot engines.
I doubt that the DI are more reliable than the peugeot engines..It must be the Pollution norms!
Old 18th April 2008, 07:54   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
M&M wants to develop one engine platform and DI engines from M&M have been more relaible than both the peugot engines.
I don't think it is an issue with reliability. My guess is that the DI engine belongs to Mahindra and the XD3P is licensed from Peugot so there must be some royalty payments involved. Secondly the DI offers more mileage. I have seen Bolero DI adverts/brochures promising 16 kmpl. You cannot get this from the XD3P.

I would guess that 90% of bolero buyers don't know the difference in getting the XD3p and DI turbo engine. Besides the DI engine is probably cheaper for Mahindra to produce than a turbo XD3P engine.

Remember the DI engine is very crude and agricultural and hence not offered in any of the export range of vehicles. But it has good Torque numbers and good milage and i think it is the best engine for purely commercial use. i.e Taxi/Pick up etc.. But for personal use, i would still prefer a high revving diesel like the XD3p or the more recent diesel engines.
Closed Thread