Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 16:35   #421
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
M&M bids fairwell to Major and Commander series of vehicles on 30th of September.
A very-very late burial indeed. The old have to make way for the young in due time, most of the time is lost here!
AWD is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 16:43   #422
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default

2 Days back I got the call from dealer that I will not get the new major .
What to do ? Its Mahindra and "Nothing else will do".I missed the Jeep One of the most beautiful Vehicle in the world which is maintained by Mahindra and still the chassis of M&M Name.
sreejeshmp is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 16:46   #423
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Vinod:

Will the pick up range also now come with the NGT520 rather than KMT90?
Yes heard so! Attaching a few pics of this very emotional moment. I am told the workers cried when the last one was being rolled out.Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1738
Size:  33.1 KB

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 17:15   #424
KMT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Coorg
Posts: 211
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Although it is an icon, it has done its time and it needs to be given a proper burial once and for all. There is a reason that no one else in the world makes them anymore!

If the boys at Ford had M&M philosophy we would still have been driving BS4 Model-T's.

I for one (after owning a few CJ's) hope it does not get reincarnated.

Whilst I am sure I will end up buying a Thar, I am dissapointed that M&M are not able to evolve the body/safety the way Jeep has evolved the Wrangler.

Why do we still have to depend on yankee brains & designs from 50 yrs ago?

Come on M&M give us some new wine in a new bottle like the Scorpio for this segment.
KMT is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 17:37   #425
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes heard so! Attaching a few pics of this very emotional moment. I am told the workers cried when the last one was being rolled out.

Spike
My dad would cry if he head the news too. For whatever reason, he always picked the CJ5xx/Major over the MM540 which used to upset me a lot as a kid since I thought and still think the MM540 is the coolest Jeep out of the Mahindra stable.

Glad to hear that the pick up will/most likely come with the NGT520. I have a pick up 4x4 booked at kottayam. The waiting period is 7 months !!
4x4addict is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 20:32   #426
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Is this officially the LAST FLAT FENDER'd jeep in the world? Sigh.!
svsantosh is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 21:00   #427
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Hopefully not, someone has already initiated the first steps towards ensuring this.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Old 5th October 2010, 21:08   #428
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Cant be Pratheesh, the 540/550/thar are all round fenders... IIRC the Major was last of the legend... I could be wrong...
svsantosh is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 00:14   #429
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Although it is an icon, it has done its time and it needs to be given a proper burial once and for all. There is a reason that no one else in the world makes them anymore!
In the U.S. Jeep corporation replaced them for a number of reasons, including inept driving by owners leading to litigation. No one in the world makes them any more? Stayed tuned to this channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
If the boys at Ford had M&M philosophy we would still have been driving BS4 Model-T's.
Model-T? Newer cars are devolving back to this. Light weight, energy efficient, small engine, big diameter tyres. Have you ever ridden in a model-T? I have. They are a total joy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Why do we still have to depend on yankee brains & designs from 50 yrs ago?

Come on M&M give us some new wine in a new bottle like the Scorpio for this segment.
Scorpios and many other cars internationally depend on key yankee drive train components, such as differentials, that were first designed and implemented more than 50 years ago. I guess the theory is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Mahindra may come up with something innovative yet. But they may do it by first capitalizing on the large international retro market.
DirtyDan is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 09:56   #430
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

KMT,
I agree that this jeep was old, but was extremely effective! This is the precise reason why newer generation vehicles like Sumo Spacio and Trax Challenger (comparitively) couldnt even break this market. None had the go any where capability and lower cost of maintenance of this jeep.
M&M would have made a wrangler long back provided consumers here are ready to pay for it. Nothing beats simplicity and effectiveness of CL550 major. I salute this true legend.

Change is constant...old must go, new must come in, however good old might be!
vinod_nookala is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 12:41   #431
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

Lots of people in rural areas appear to be buying the Mahindra Bolero/ Invader with 4x2 or 4x4 as a replacement for the old gen CJ 500/ MM540 and in preference to the Major.

I personally think the Invader is quite comfy too, in comparison - because at this moment I can barely fit in the Major and my legs stick out at odd angles.

Terrible ergonomics and very uncomfortable to drive for lengths of time. The controls and things feel like they are made of wool or something - they are so terribly unresponsive.

I recently tried getting into and sitting in an old Willys LHD vintage jeep. I couldnt even fit into it without risk of serious and permanent internal damage.

I wonder how the US Army chaps who in general were much bigger than us Indians managed when these jeeps were standard issue for them.

Despite being a person who loves jeeps and similar go anywhere vehicles, I still think it is a good thing that the Major and the old gen Jeep CJ from M&M is being shut down.

I think that our rural populace deserves better, higher quality, more ergonomic, more comfortable, safer and yet functional and tough transport which they are able to procure at a fair price.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 14:43   #432
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 501 Times
Default

This is indeed a sad moment, however practical and forward thinking we be. Certain things cannot just be replaced with something else, however good the latter maybe.

Perhaps the Thar with the MDI3200 TC and the NGT520 GB later would do justice. (provided its launched at a reasonable price).
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 16:16   #433
KMT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Coorg
Posts: 211
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Dirty Dan
The old soldier has served his time well, he has earned his retirement. Let him go and enjoy his retirement. Classics are better when you cherish/polish something that is old. Somehow buying a 2010 'retro classic' does not seem quite right.

Vinod
I take your point about economics, you are best placed to make that call as you know the facts. However, you guys have done it with the Bolero and Scorpio and have made them work in the mkt.

As a long time CJ owner, I am looking forward not to have to put up with the ergonomics/safety of CJ/MM for this 'captive market' as M&M is the sole provider.

This is not a lifestyle vehicle for us but a necessity and currently only our driver has to endure it. I would love to be able to enjoy a soft top 4x4 Jeep without having to be Rambo, Thar has high expectations to live up to.

Cheers
KMT is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 17:25   #434
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hopefully not, someone has already initiated the first steps towards ensuring this
may be a new classic with NGCS, NEF CRDe & NGT530.

(in simple words a flat fender THAR)
jeepster is offline  
Old 6th October 2010, 18:30   #435
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

^^ A 80" WB monster would have been possible, provided rear propeller shaft was eliminated, this driveline is too long for a SWB.

Attaching a pic of the last KMT90 rolled from the Transmission Product Unit.Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1752
Size:  31.0 KB

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 6th October 2010 at 18:50.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED Kairalee The Indian Car Scene 103 23rd April 2013 11:25
Maybach 62 S F/L to launch in Jan 2011 - Edit: Now to be discontinued. sidindica Super-Cars & Imports in India 42 30th November 2011 20:11
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite salilpawar1 4x4 Vehicles 148 26th February 2010 02:31
Mahindra Major 4x4 jeep- A/C & Power Steering, Diff. locks, Snorkel amit kumar 4x4 Technical 5 24th December 2009 10:22
Opinion wanted - Dicor VX 4X4 vs Endeavour XLT 4X4...updated Now Booked Dicor VX 4X suman SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 80 1st April 2009 14:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks