Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 31st October 2008, 00:16   #136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Samu.
Well, see, i already have good advice from you. You i included because you have a jeep which you are passionately attached to and have been driving it as what it was meant for.

Re the parking brakes, thats news to me. Ill attend that asap of course with advice from our Gurus who have not replied.
What do i have to do, to invoke the great Gurus of Jeepistan to give me some much needed advice.
I got a booster fitted ( from the HM amby ) on my friends Willys low bonnet few months ago, though its a light modification but the functunability is just superb.

There are problems in braking in the jeeps, not because of bad brakes, because of the way we drive or the way others drive around us nowadays

Imagine you driving your jeep behind a modern day car, what do you do when he brakes in front of you suddenly-- Go and bang him.........?

I feel to make your ride and braking better a booster will do more good than any harm.cheers:
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:21   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
And AFAIK, these vents came into being on the later CL series jeeps by M&M and were not present on the CJ series. And since the jeep in question is a CJ3B, these vents should not be there.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Mine is 1994 CJ340. The following image is of 1992 CJ340, don't let the Classic tag confuse you, it has a Classic makeover. That too has the vent.

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:53   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Mine is 1994 CJ340. The following image is of 1992 CJ340, don't let the Classic tag confuse you, it has a Classic makeover. That too has the vent.
Samurai,
My mistake, I should have been more specific.
I meant the CJ series as in the CJ2A, CJ3A and CJ3B.
I was under the impression that the flat fender iterations
made my M&M immediately after the CJ3B series was called the CL series.
But then, my knowledge of jeep models and nomenclature by Mahindra
post CJ3B era is equivalent to pinhead shrunken by a factor of 100.
Thanks for blowing off the mist of ignorance
Cheers
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 01:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

Right Gotzuk. It was not there in the original Jeep. Somewhere down the line, i was discussing with my tin guy and mechanic, the possibilities of coverting to an LHD, and then thats where the vent would then be, on the opposite sid eof the steering. Of course that plan was soon shelved but stayed on in my tinner's mind also the piece the guy got to replace the rusted fender already had this vent. After a look i decided to keep it as it would help in getting a bit of air in. Now i might have to shut it as I plan to put a Jerry can there. Im told that this is the place the Jerry can came in Military CJs especially RCLs.
Behrambhai and USBji, what do you say?
I applaud your observation Gotzuk but my Jeep did originally come with a vent on the LHS fender

Last edited by V-16 : 31st October 2008 at 01:46.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 09:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Something like this? Since it has transparent parts in it, it has no blind spots either.
Samurai,
Did you attach the scissor type of frame while putting on the soft top (i couldn't see any folded frame in your garage pics)? I mean how did you support the back of the top? The back design is absolutely nice. Is it custom made or available from Mahindra?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:51   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I applaud your observation Gotzuk but my Jeep did originally come with a vent on the LHS fender
Gogi bhai,
Now i am really confused
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2008, 15:39   #142
BHPian

hey v16!! what happen any updates??? Just came across this thread!!
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:18   #143
fk7
BHPian

hi v16,

any updates on the vehicle?

FK
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Gogi bhai,
Now i am really confused
Yes i get it. If you notice closely both these fenders are patched up joints. I was told by the previous owner's guy (where i bought the Jeep from) that there was a vent here which he closed as he was wanting to modify certain parts like the windscreen, rear missing tailgate etc. thats why i mentioned that it originally came with a tailgate.

Now i am confused too. My tinner has made two vents, one on each side, so now I need to know whether there are supposed to be vents or not. I believe the CJ3B had no vents?
Re the progress, the jeep meeds to be sent to the paint shop now but is awaiting its turn after my W115 merc gets there. So now the work is on, in full force on the Merc. Ill let you know when the work started and that going to be soon.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:33   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the CJ3B had no vents?
Spot on, Sir. No vents on The CJ3B..
Standing by for updates..
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for that too.
My CJ3B also has no vents and I picked up an auctioned vehicle so it shouldn't be modified.

Last edited by harjeev : 22nd January 2009 at 16:10.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:59   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

The CJ3B did not have vents - it had an army fitting for carrying an "old type" 5 litre engine oil tin, attached to the body. Some old parts may still be lying around, you know where.

Waiting to see the RCL Gogibhai!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:29   #148
Senior - BHPian

These are indeed air inlets, for cooling as the engine heat tends to creep on to the front & floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@gotzuk These are present in the later mahindras. I am not sure if it was there in gogis version. Its some sort of air inlet to the legs.
Can be pushed open from inside and closed by pushing from out
It will be clear with this pic
Attachment 65137
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 17:53   #149
Senior - BHPian

The body fabrication and all tin work (well almost) now finally over. The body is being readied for a paint job and the putty is being applied. Will post pics in a few days.

The meters need to be bought and placed. The original i see was a three metered dash. According to me there are five which are needed. Speedo, Oil, Water, Amp and Fuel. Which ones do i fit and where do i fit the other two? Should i do it in a separate suspended plate or just go ahead and make in into a five meter dash.

I am in a dilemma as to which meter goes where? Is there a pattern i have to follow or do i follow the Mahindra Classic layout. Also can someone please send me a clear pic of what this dash should look like with which switch going where. As i need to buy all new meters, any suggestions as to what kms max should be bought for my Cj as it is an RCl with a Petrol Hurricane engine?

Also i need to source tail lights and the black out lights. Is there somewhere i can get them in Bombay or will i have to search for them in the second hand bazar?

What seats do i put in as im going to be using the jeep for mainly offroading, the usual OE or some other seats?

I need all the body garnishes, the meters, steering wheel, clamps, lights etc etc. H E L P!!

My jeep's dash
Can someone label what the holes represent? What switch, meter, light/lamp goes where?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-18022008368-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-image060.jpg

Should it look like this?...if yes please point label the switches etc...!!

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj12.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj6.jpg

Or like this?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj-meters-large.jpg

Where can i source this M 606 type fender light.....though this looks like a siren

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-willje0.jpg

Where can i get a tail gate like this or can i get just the cut out pieces stamped with logos? Need "JEEP" for the front, rear and the sides.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-willys-rear.jpg

Where do i get rear lights like these? Are they readily available?

Name:  BoschTaillight.JPG
Views: 5697
Size:  37.4 KB

Are these front blackout lights available freely?

Name:  52653.jpg
Views: 2664
Size:  83.8 KB

What are these at either end? What is the use of whatever these are.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-image057-large.jpg

Thanks in anticipation!!
Old 5th June 2009, 18:00   #150
Senior - BHPian

These look similar to the lights used by the French army.

A bit expensive at £20 each and 24V but I suppose you can always change down to 12V :
French Army Rear Lights - Military Vehicles Spares and Accessories - MILWEB CLASSIFIEDS

Try searching google and ebay for M38 rear lights and you should find some for sale.

Last edited by bigman : 5th June 2009 at 18:03.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote