Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 18th August 2009, 20:47   #166
BHPian

went and saw the jeep today. its coming along really well. the body was being gasaued like nobodies business

This one is going to be a real cracker

gogi mail me the jeep snaps you promised. had a great time seeing all your cars today. The Golf GT. Paisa vasool.

cheers
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 03:22   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi is that a power steering in your jeep? that picture where someones hand is seen
Yup and thats my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
went and saw the jeep today. its coming along really well. the body was being gasaued like nobodies business

This one is going to be a real cracker

gogi mail me the jeep snaps you promised. had a great time seeing all your cars today. The Golf GT. Paisa vasool.

cheers
Thanks Mate.
Will post latest pics tomorrow.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 06:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Gogi bhai. Its taken a long time but i guess it will be worth your wait. Best of luck on getting this up and running. You would love it
Cheers
Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 17:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Gogi bhai. Its taken a long time but i guess it will be worth your wait. Best of luck on getting this up and running. You would love it
Cheers
Maddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Cheers
Maddy
Thanks Maddy. Yes it has taken almost a year but that was because my own priorities kept on changing. At one time he had three cars of mine plus others. He was working simultaneously on my W115 and the Jeep. Only after i went with GTO and gang on an OTR did this bug really bite me. As they say experiencing is another ball game altogether. This is when i asked him to keep the W115 on hold and start the Jeep. It should be out in a few days.

The steering rod fixed and the linkages for the power steering ready. Should be fixed also but i havnt got to going there as the Ganpati traffic is killing. Ill have to go someday early morning if i have to check.

Steering Rod fixed.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07217-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07219-large.jpg

Is the angle on the steering wheel fine? How do i get to know what is the right angle??

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07220-large.jpg

Also I have decided that one does need the basic five meters in the dash(Speedo, Fuel, Oil, Water & Amp, So maybe i can punch two holes as in the 5 meter dashes of the older Cjs and install these meters directly in the dash rather than suspend them on a plate from below the dash. What say? The white dots are where the other two meters would come roughly.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07220-large-2.jpg
Old 21st August 2009, 18:42   #170
BHPian

Sir,
The steering rod usually exits under the dash cowl and is affixed with a bracket.
The column would go through the big round hole on the floorboard.

Pic taken from S@~+#0$#'s 3B thread.

Last edited by gotzuk : 21st August 2009 at 18:50.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 19:44   #171
Senior - BHPian

Yup Vaibhav but the problem is that this is a power steering setup and as you know in Jeeps the whole thing is reversed else one puts the pump on the bumper. Since i was adamant to have the pump in the engine bay, the linkage had to be manufactured so that the wheels turn in the direction of the steering and not vice versa. I guess the steering rod had to be shifted through the dash for this reason. Thats why there is a problem in setting the angle of the steering. I am an absolute novice when it comes to jeeps so i havnt the faintest idea of whether whet im doing is right or not. Maybe the best time to see that would be when the power steering set up starts to work.

Any Thanks for everything Vaibhav.

Guys the painting day has almost arrived. Im giving it one last shot. Below i present my two favourite contenders for the colour of my jeep

No:1 my first choice

Name:  RafecasVIASAArmyRear.JPG
Views: 1967
Size:  84.2 KB

No:2, obviously my second choice

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj3bj4cpicbig014.jpeg

If i do get another jeep, i will paint that one the colour that i have had to choose over in this project.

Help me decide please.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:53   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Its good to see the project back in Focus

While both the colors are good, I would vote for number 2 as I have seen one in that color & it looks different from other jeeps in a very charming way

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st August 2009 at 19:56.
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 19:56   #173
Team-BHP Support

My 2 cents. Go for #1.

PS: A million dollar question: Will it get ready to see some action this monsoon or have you turned this into a govt 5 year plan kind of thing???
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:07   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Option No.1 any day! Option 2 will look terrible on our type of roads.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 03:25   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My 2 cents. Go for #1.

PS: A million dollar question: Will it get ready to see some action this monsoon or have you turned this into a govt 5 year plan kind of thing???
Well yes These pics were taken a few days ago. I think it moves to the paint shop in a day or two. Couldnt get to it in the last two days coz i have to cross an area very congested at this time due to the Ganpati festival. Will visit in a day or two for fresh pics.

In any case, slush remains long after the rains have gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Option No.1 any day! Option 2 will look terrible on our type of roads.
Ok Majority wins.. three (including me) against one, just thought id give it another shot. even before i have mentioned that option 1 is my choice.
I love the dark blackish grey colour too and if i ever get to buying another jeep it will definitely be option 2.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:11   #176
BHPian

Get that steering angle correct v16, remember what i told you at the garage

I too am inclined for option 1. Potty beige color. If I may call it that
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:14   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My 2 cents. Go for #1.

Sultan

Just to be fair to Gogi. I was at the garage. Gogi has enough in there to last him for atleast 3 years serious work. i do hope he gets the Jeep out for atleast a little off roading this year. Still even if he doesnt, it will be worth it as there is a lot of effort going into this paint job
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:31   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL Gogi I had initially opted for option 1 but then changed as I remebered seeinga Jeep in option 2 color on Discovery sometime back & I agree with what GTO says i.e. it may not look as good on our roads
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:35   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Get that steering angle correct v16, remember what i told you at the garage
Yes yes bud, iremember every word and thats why i have out this question here. Hoping some gurus to give me gyan, or else it will have to be Ferdi.

Quote:
I too am inclined for option 1. Potty beige color. If I may call it that
Thats a graphic description!! The colour is more like Jodhpur Sand Dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
LOL Gogi I had initially opted for option 1 but then changed as I remebered seeinga Jeep in option 2 color on Discovery sometime back & I agree with what GTO says i.e. it may not look as good on our roads
Actually i have seen a Jeep in that colour a real long time ago and it looks just as great but i am inclined on option one from day one.

Yesterday the wife came beck from Delhi carrying a lot of goodies sent to me from Gotzuk aka Vaibhav.
Thanks for everything Vaibhav, i really really appreciate all the trouble you went through to get the lights for me. I owe you one buddy.

I have received two rear black out lights, three front ones (one cover to be removed and used as a reverse light) and a fender blackout light with USA WW2 markings. They are really bigger than what i thought them to be as they were seen either fitted on vehicles or in pics, where their dimensions look dramatically smaller.

Now to get pics, post them and send them to the garage for paintng to body colour and fitting on the CJ.

I will be posting pics a little later as my cam is not here.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd August 2009 at 17:40. Reason: adding text
Old 24th August 2009, 10:17   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Is the angle on the steering wheel fine? How do i get to know what is the right angle?
Arrey Gogiji, Fiat steering wheel!

Going great, all the best.

I found authentic WW2 tail lights for you. Still wrapped in oh-ree-gee-nal brown paper, 'angrez zamaana ka'.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote