Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 15th July 2008, 19:45   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I wonder why is the grill cut open in this one.?
LRDG & SAS Jeeps always had their grills cut open for unrestricted air
flow in the hot desert climate. In fact they also had ' surge tanks' or desert cooling tanks which acted like the coolant tanks of today, which was fitted on the grill as you can see in the picture, so that no water was lost through the overflow pipe when the radiator overheats.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 15:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
congrats brother. whats the progress on the jeep now.
Im sure you are living the dream with me Speedy. You know, it is still as much your Jeep!!

Keeping up with the updates.
The work seems to be going on just fine. The colour is not what i wanted so hes going to respray again maybe today or tomorrow after he gets my approval on a test area.
I wanted Jodhpur Dessert Sand and this is not it. He had been given a reference print and hes promised to get the exact shade. No compromises here.

The Chassis being cleaned for unreachable areas and red oxide being applied
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04497-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04498-large.jpg

The body lined up for floor pan work
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04500-large.jpg

Final checkup before mounting on the chassis. The overhauled engine being assembled. One can see the crank.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04516-large.jpg

Painted Chassis ready to take the fully overhauled gearbox.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04524-large.jpg

Overhauled Gear box being mounted
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04517-large.jpg

Does this gearbox number mean anything?
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04520-large.jpg

Almost done
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04522-large.jpg

Engine mounted and ready while the body waits next to it for some minor tin.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04525-large.jpg

All set, gearbox and engine in.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04528-large.jpg

Need to get a new three spoke steering wheel like the one in this pic from the late 60's Willy's
Name:  1964 cj3B dash.jpg
Views: 7375
Size:  24.9 KB

The engine all overhauled and mounted
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04530-large.jpg

The overhauled gearbox has a sweet notchy shift.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04531-large.jpg

Now awaiting the starter and some other parts as well as the desired paint shade. Then to take on the body.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04529-large.jpg

Suggestions please!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 15:41   #78
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Suggestions please!!
Aren't you planning to paint the engine/trans assembly in some enamel? Considering you have stripped the car to the frame?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 15:52   #79
Team-BHP Support

Gogi bhai.. this is shaping up to be great. Can't wait for the final solution.

Good that you are NOT compromising on the paint color. Do get it in the perfect sand color..
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 16:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Aren't you planning to paint the engine/trans assembly in some enamel? Considering you have stripped the car to the frame?
Yes I am. What do you think would be the right colour or do I paint it in the same body colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Gogi bhai.. this is shaping up to be great. Can't wait for the final solution.
Good that you are NOT compromising on the paint color. Do get it in the perfect sand color..
Thanks Buddy. I have a date with him in an hour for colour approval.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:39   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I had mentioned the same earlier.

Since you are doing it up so nicely, detail it completely.

The engine can get maybe a racing green color or a simple black paint coat on them.The colors are good in dissipating heat.

BTW really nice to see the progress.

Its really become tough to find people in Bangy to do a tin job nowadays.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 17:03   #82
Senior - BHPian

As the project nears completion, I have a few unanswered questions in my mind. Not questions really but im a bit confused with a few things. Im hoping that collectively, the Jeep Gurus would be able to point me in the right direction.

1) The Mahindra, CJ3b jeep should have a dash, steering and meters like these
Name:  cj3 int.jpg
Views: 16540
Size:  391.7 KB

would it be advisable to modify the dash with a single meter
Name:  Charnok63Dash.jpg
Views: 5877
Size:  23.1 KB

Like this...
Name:  Speedometer.gif
Views: 8651
Size:  27.3 KB

...Or like this with multiple meters? Should I stick to original Mahindra meters and if not then, what meters should be used
Name:  Murray55Dash.jpg
Views: 6018
Size:  25.3 KB

Then as we all know the Jeep served our country as an RCL. I definately want seats at the rear so is this a good option? Would this be comfortable for people sitting in the rear or should I just go in for the side seats like in the Gypsy?
Name:  BodyParts.gif
Views: 8448
Size:  80.7 KB

Another Dilemma is the tail gate. As the RCL has no tail gate which type of tail gate do i fit?
This one, ie the deck drawer type or the door type, one sided, hinged found in the Mahindras of today- in which case id be able to mount a jerry can on the rear.

Name:  PazTailgate.JPG
Views: 7336
Size:  82.9 KB

Coming to the most important part, safety. What would you recommend, a chunky, anti roll bar like in the Classic or the Scissor type as shown in the pic below. One thing is clear, i will have the spare, side mounted on the left hand rear part as should be in the CJ3B.
Name:  30082005004.jpg
Views: 6982
Size:  61.8 KB

Are tail lights like these available? If not where could I get these from? Also where could I get the Army type parking lights (anti aircraft if im right) as shown in the second pic. as well as the rear lights on the army jeeps.I have seen them in the army jeeps. Dont know if they can be bought in the open market. And what i s that clip looking thing right above the reflector lens?
Name:  BoschTaillight.JPG
Views: 6321
Size:  37.4 KB
Name:  52653.jpg
Views: 8906
Size:  83.2 KB

Is it advisable to mount the extra light on the fender? It came like this in the M606, right?
Name:  PazLeft.JPG
Views: 7370
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 21st July 2008, 18:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
As the project nears completion, I have a few unanswered questions in my mind. Not questions really but im a bit confused with a few things. Im hoping that collectively, the Jeep Gurus would be able to point me in the right direction.

Attachment 31192

would it be advisable to modify the dash with a single meter
Attachment 31193

Like this...
Attachment 31194

...Or like this with multiple meters? Should I stick to original Mahindra meters and if not then, what meters should be used
Attachment 31195

Then as we all know the Jeep served our country as an RCL. I definately want seats at the rear so is this a good option? Would this be comfortable for people sitting in the rear or should I just go in for the side seats like in the Gypsy?
Attachment 31196

Another Dilemma is the tail gate. As the RCL has no tail gate which type of tail gate do i fit?
This one, ie the deck drawer type or the door type, one sided, hinged found in the Mahindras of today- in which case id be able to mount a jerry can on the rear.
Attachment 31197

Coming to the most important part, safety. What would you recommend, a chunky, anti roll bar like in the Classic or the Scissor type as shown in the pic below. One thing is clear, i will have the spare, side mounted on the left hand rear part as should be in the CJ3B.
Attachment 31199

Are tail lights like these available? If not where could I get these from? Also where could I get the Army type parking lights (anti aircraft if im right) as shown in the second pic. as well as the rear lights on the army jeeps.I have seen them in the army jeeps. Dont know if they can be bought in the open market. And what i s that clip looking thing right above the reflector lens?
Attachment 31200
Attachment 31201

Is it advisable to mount the extra light on the fender? It came like this in the M606, right?
Attachment 31198
Hi V-16, Here are my suggestions;
Practically speaking, a cluster of meters are better. The original single meter is hard to find, the old ones were marked in M.P.H and the fuel guage may not be accurate because of age. The Single meter came pre 1965.
Regarding the seats, the rear seat facing front is certainly comfortable and much better than the side seats. You may be able to source a rear seat in the second hand market where they sell seats taken out from Army surplus 3Bs. Even otherwise it can be easily fabricated.All you need to do is take your tinker to see a seat and take measurements. He can replicate it. it is simple made of bent pipes.
Regarding the tailgate, the deck drawer type is easy to fit as it is a removeable type which goes into the hinge grove bracket which is fixed on either side just below the floorboard at the rear end. Since you are going to place the spare tyre on the side, and not on the tailgate, no strengthening of the tail gate is required. You can put a plate for strengthening to fix the Jerry can holder.
If you are going to do extreme offroading, then the chunky anti roll bar may be necessary. Otherwise, looks wise a scissor top definitely looks more purposeful and better.
Regarding the rear lights,Military Jonga lights with three slits (two slits come in a Willys MB) would look nice and rugged. They can perhaps be sourced from second hand military surplus shops, like Mayapuri in Delhi.
Yes,the M606s had black out lights on the fender. The Indian Military 3Bs came with small squarish lights with a shade mounted on either side in front between the headlights.
Hope my advice is helpful and all the best in your restoration.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 19:28   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogibhai - I want to see the Jeep in the garage. Maybe next weekend. 011043 is the part number of the transmission casing. This is a 3 speed transmission, it came with standard and high torque ratios. All cJs had the standard torque (1.551 second gear) whereas the FCs came with high torque (1.851 second gear). Standard torque is good enough. With high torque, on-road driveability will not be as good. Please paint the underbody with body tilted before you mount it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 20:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Or like this with multiple meters? Should I stick to original Mahindra meters and if not then, what meters should be used
Attachment 31195

the five meter setup is would be the setup of my choice as all vital
info is displayed, namely; speed, fuel, temperature, oil pressure and
amperege.

Attachment 31199

definitely the scissor type setup. on trail hardened jeeps, the body is
twisted as much as the frame. just bolting on chunky bars to the body
wont help much, only a professionally done exoskeleton roll cage mounted
on the chassis would give you rigidity and safety.

Attachment 31200
Attachment 31201

new blackout parking lights are very much available, at least in delhi they are. the clip above the reflector lens is the the power receptacle for powering the lights on the trailer (if mounted).

apart from the above, dont forget to get the "4 wheel drive" legend painted on the right part of the tail gate. looks killer...
(attached is the stencil for the same, courtesy the cj3b page)

cheers
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Miles4WDStencil.pdf (9.1 KB, 446 views)
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 20:25   #86
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am. What do you think would be the right colour or do I paint it in the same body colour?
I wouldn't know what enamel colour comes on Jeep engines, perhaps Mr. Dhabhar could clarify.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 20:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gogibhai - I want to see the Jeep in the garage. Maybe next weekend. 011043 is the part number of the transmission casing. This is a 3 speed transmission, it came with standard and high torque ratios. All cJs had the standard torque (1.551 second gear) whereas the FCs came with high torque (1.851 second gear). Standard torque is good enough. With high torque, on-road driveability will not be as good. Please paint the underbody with body tilted before you mount it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BehramBhai, i wanted to take you along so that you may give some pointers to my fellow but you were away. Whenever you are back in town, please let me know, id love you to come and give me some tips. Could you also clarify what enamel paint should be painted on (shade) for the engine as pointed out by DKG? Thanks

Thanks for the advice Dussey. A cluster of instruments it will be then.

Thank you for the stencil Gotzuk. I went crazy trying to make the guy understand what I wanted. Also gave him a printout to work a stencil on but this is God sent. Thanks so much.

Thanks Deepak.

Last edited by V-16 : 21st July 2008 at 20:29.
Old 21st July 2008, 21:06   #88
BHPian

Just in case you change your mind on the instrument cluster. There is a 1960s Speedo up on ebay for bidding.
LINK

Other parts you have mentioned:
Parking Lights
Tail Lights

If you are interested, see if you could find any BHPians returning home from the US for a holiday. They could bring these with them.
All this provided these parts are hard to find in India.
Good Luck!
bluestraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 00:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
There is a 1960s Speedo up on ebay for bidding.
Thanks man. Ill look into it.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:40   #90
BHPian

Quote:
When i first saw this pic, it looked uncannily familiar. today i realized why.
i had this jeep for three months!!
here's another shot of the same jeep during an offroading meet..
BTW, whats happening on your jeep front??

cheers
Attached Images

gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote