Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th August 2008, 02:10   #106
Team-BHP Support

Question soda blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
You mean putting baking soda in the sandblaster instead of "sand" ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I suppose its sand??!!
Yes, I meant using baking soda. That's what the fellows that work in the HorsePower section of PowerBlock TV used while blasting one of their old pickups.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Ricky,
Need here is to dissipate the heat and not reflect it, black would be more useful than silver.

To the best of my limited knowledge Black absorbs heat, NO car engine I have seen till date, is black. I have somehow always seen silver !!

Maybe you know something that I don't !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
To the best of my limited knowledge Black absorbs heat, NO car engine I have seen till date, is black. I have somehow always seen silver !!
Cheers
Black absorbs LIGHT, and a black surface will be hotter in sunlight.

White reflects LIGHT, the same surface will be cooler in sunlight.

Color of paint of a motor is not heat related. All colors of the same motor will be the same temperature if the chemical make up of the paint is the same.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd August 2008 at 01:05.
DirtyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 11:39   #109
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Ricky_63,
there is always a first time for everything
here's a black one from the cj3b
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-ittelengineleft.jpg  

gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 22:23   #110
BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my limited knowledge Black absorbs heat, NO car engine I have seen till date, is black. I have somehow always seen silver !!Cheers
"Blackbody absorption and Blackbody radiation" - remember the physics classes? It all depends on the body whether it is at a higher temperature than the ambient temperature or lower than the ambient. In case of an engine, the engine temperature is more likely to be higher than ambient when running (for a while) and therefore preferable to have a darker color (black) painted for heat dissipation.

By the way, all the engines in my vehicles (my current and the past ones) have either been painted black or covered with some material (ABS, I think) that is finished in black.

Last edited by -GT- : 24th August 2008 at 22:31.
-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 16:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

Gentleman,

Thanks for enlightening me on the subject.

All my cars (Scorpio, Octavia 1.9 TDi, Audi A4 2.0 TDi) have silver engines with the ABS shield on top being black (Lancer being the exception, it has no ABS sheild). The ABS shield as I understand has no role to play in cooling the engine. I thought it is there to kill sound..

@ Gotzuk
Is the black paint a factory job ? I should think not.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2008, 11:01   #112
BHPian

Quote:
@ Gotzuk
Is the black paint a factory job ? I should think not.

Cheers
Ricky_63
Here's a illustration of the hurricane engine employed in the Willys CJ3B in a brochure.
The exhaust manifold and the fuel pump, silver in colour, are quite different in colour compared to the engine even in this monochrome illustration
Cheers
Attached Images

gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:01   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - when the F4134 engines were produced in Kandivli and then in Igatpuri, all engines were painted shining black. For your information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thank you gentlemen for educating me on this.

My only experience has been with / of my cars mentioned above, and some others I have owned in the past.

Cheers
Old 10th September 2008, 23:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gogi - when the F4134 engines were produced in Kandivli and then in Igatpuri, all engines were painted shining black. For your information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behrambhai, i have instructed my painter to coulur the engine Shining Black as per your advice.

I got a call this evening from my mechanic that the power steering is fitted in place. We earlier had an issue of fitting it within the engine bay which we came around and solved.
I will be going to see it tomorrow morning and will take pics.
I need to know a few things.

One- Where can i get a winch from and how much should it cost.
Second- Can i get a second hand one from somewhere? Where? Cost?
Third- Where do i get it fitted in Bombay as I presume there must be some science involved (fabricating brackets, solid base, strengthning the bumber etc) in fitting it properly.
Fourth- What tyres should I use. The normal Jeep or some other OTR spec tyres.
Fifth- He also asked if i weanted a booster fitted for the brakes? I dont even know how the brakes will perform on this one so I asked him to give me a day to get back to him on that one.
Thanks. Will wait for the gurus to advice me on this.

Last edited by V-16 : 10th September 2008 at 23:04. Reason: add
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 17:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Behrambhai, i have instructed my painter to coulur the engine Shining Black as per your advice.

I got a call this evening from my mechanic that the power steering is fitted in place. We earlier had an issue of fitting it within the engine bay which we came around and solved.
I will be going to see it tomorrow morning and will take pics.
I need to know a few things.

One- Where can i get a winch from and how much should it cost.
Second- Can i get a second hand one from somewhere? Where? Cost?
Third- Where do i get it fitted in Bombay as I presume there must be some science involved (fabricating brackets, solid base, strengthning the bumber etc) in fitting it properly.
Fourth- What tyres should I use. The normal Jeep or some other OTR spec tyres.
Fifth- He also asked if i weanted a booster fitted for the brakes? I dont even know how the brakes will perform on this one so I asked him to give me a day to get back to him on that one.
Thanks. Will wait for the gurus to advice me on this.
Obviously the Gurus have not read this post days ago. I repeat the above quoted text and await the advice of people who have "been there-done that", in relation to Jeep's of course.

I post pics of the progress of my CJ-3B. The body is on the chassis and a few bits and pieces are being custom made. Even the position of the battery will have to be shifted a few inches, higher than its previous position I presume. That is due to the power steering already fitted and a booster for proper brakes.

The body coated with red oxide and being finished.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04749-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04750-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04752-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04756-large.jpg

The power steering unit.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04754-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04753-large.jpg

I am looking forward to the comments and advice from fellow Jeepers and knowledgeable persons like UBSji, Arka, Samurai, Parm, Gotzuk, and everyone else who can help me restore this beautiful machine to its prime.
Any mistakes if caught now will make it really easy to mend.
I need a whole lot of stuff for the Jeep viz, fender lights, rear lights, black out lights, jerry cans, the three spoke steering with a rubber pad type of horn, etc, etc.
Thanks guys, in anticipation.
Old 17th September 2008, 18:39   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am looking forward to the comments and advice from fellow Jeepers and knowledgeable persons like UBSji, Arka, Samurai, Parm, Gotzuk, and everyone else who can help me restore this beautiful machine to its prime.
Yikes Gogi, how can you even think of putting my name in this list, I don't even know how to do oil change on my own. And some these guys can build Jeeps on their own.

However, I can tell you one or two things I have noticed in my Jeep about tyres and brakes.

1) Tyre: You already have NDMS on it. That is good for mud and slush. But if you want to raise the Jeep, you can consider switching to wider AT tyres, preferably some self-cleaning type. Then you will have the issue of tyres hitting the leafs, I do have that problem. I am trying to solve that by using negative offset alloys.

2) Brakes: I used to complain a lot about drum brakes in the begining. Then it turned out that the drum pistons were jammed on rear wheels. As of now I have no complaints about brakes. There is no vaccum pump, no booster, just drums on all 4 wheels with tandem cylinder setup. I can stop easily, no issues. One thing I really wish I had was parking brakes. I suggest spending your money getting some kind of parking brakes than booster setup. The original Jeep hand brake was not applied on the rear drums, but on the rear propeller shaft.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 14:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yikes Gogi, how can you even think of putting my name in this list,

The original Jeep hand brake was not applied on the rear drums, but on the rear propeller shaft.
Thanks Samu.
Well, see, i already have good advice from you. You i included because you have a jeep which you are passionately attached to and have been driving it as what it was meant for.

Re the parking brakes, thats news to me. Ill attend that asap of course with advice from our Gurus who have not replied.
What do i have to do, to invoke the great Gurus of Jeepistan to give me some much needed advice.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do i have to do, to invoke the great Gurus of Jeepistan to give me some much needed advice.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 15:23   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - here's to Jeepistan. My replies are as follows:

One- Where can i get a winch from and how much should it cost. Ramsey 8000 lbs drawbar pull is minimum required. It is available but price is exorbitant. If you want, tell me, I will guide you.
Second- Can i get a second hand one from somewhere? Where? Cost? I do not know and it may not be reliable.
Third- Where do i get it fitted in Bombay as I presume there must be some science involved (fabricating brackets, solid base, strengthning the bumber etc) in fitting it properly. I will guide your guys, there is a controller which must be wired correctly otherwise the motor will burnout. (You will have to pay me for all this - in goodwill - just kidding).
Fourth- What tyres should I use. The normal Jeep or some other OTR spec tyres. 6.00*16 M&S from MRF are best suited for offroading but not for onroading at all. It depends on what you want. If you go for 15" wheels, you will lose the original looks for which I suggest you use FJ/FC360D's wheels which look quite similar to the original. Gypsy wheel offset is different although mounting pcd is same. Bolero's 215/75R15 Bridgestones will do a decent job. Don't exceed 215 size, it will make you miserable on articulation. Also I will need to drive your vehicle with power steering to ascertain whether it is OK or not because in this case we cannot change camber and for changing caster we may need wedges between the springs and the axle. These are normally made in tool room as a 1 degree angle is very difficult to machine in an uncontrolled situation. Then for production, the axle spring seat weld angle is changed. These actions are required for power steering as torque needs are different otherwise you will get a feeling of flotation and the garages will go on doing all sorts of things till the cows come home but the problem will not get solved. It will leave you bewildered.
Fifth- He also asked if i weanted a booster fitted for the brakes? I dont even know how the brakes will perform on this one so I asked him to give me a day to get back to him on that one. Booster will need a suspended pedal and a GP (gravity proportioning) valve or an LSPV (load sensing and proportioning valve). This vehicle has chassis mounted brake and clutch pedals. I suggest you don't tamper with safety issues.

Further, please be careful on engine mounting bracket dimensions as the clutch is mechanically operated by a cross shaft having ball studs on the chassis and on the transmission case. Any misalignment will slip the cross shaft and the clutch will not operate.

All above is not so simple otherwise every roadside garage would have manufactured cars by now.
Thanks. Will wait for the gurus to advice me on this. Please let me know your thoughts. See you soon.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote