Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 21:04   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

[quote=[B]GTO - Touring;[/b]917781]I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.



Could not agree with you more M&M should come out with something similar to the Wrangler ! Similar stuff is being done in Hyderabad, why can't M&M with all their resources do it ???

Is M&M listening ????


Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th July 2008 at 21:05.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 21:34   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Striker is so Gypsy-ish. They should launch these in civvi versions.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 21:37   #33
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 591 Times
Default hey

i have just finished sending an email to DGM - Customization of M&M division regading what GTO and Ricky said, mahindra has all the tools to make a genuine 4x4 in limited numbers for indian customers.

lets see what reply i get. if you guys want i can forward you his email and details and the email i have written to him.

cheers
cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 21:50   #34
BHPian
 
RedMM340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on the move
Posts: 459
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.



Well, judging by Force Motors handling of the Gukha, it really is no suprise that they haven't really moved off the showroom floors, is it? The Gurkha has pathetic dealership support, most inquiries are not answered and sometimes, neither the dealership nor the factory has a clue of how you can source one.

You think that the previous sales of CL340's, Classics, and MM550s were due to excellence on the part of M&M dealers? I don't. It was the vehicle that sold due to it's merits (and Jeep brand equity).

Keep in mind that M&M opened a complete new line of dealerships across the country to sell the Scorpio product. The previous Jeep dealers were terrible, just like you point out for Force motors.

M&M is going down a different path now, and will unlikely go back to making traditional Jeep products. They just have a different focus now.

My point was that , notwithstanding the poor dealer network, there is an excellent 4x4 vehicle made in India, off the shelf for 4x4 enthusiasts in the Force Gurkha.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 21:52   #35
BHPian
 
Alfa_Kilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 328
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I have lost...will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.
My formula for a Classic replacement, a minimum change vehicle to keep the bean counters happy.

1) NG Chassis (from the Army MM550XDB) shortened to the CJ3B wheelbase.
2) MM550XDB axles, front and rear LSDs.
3) The 63bhp Turbo DI engine with a 5 speed GB
4) A proper roll cage, not just for looks.
5) 31-11.5R15 tyres.

Options: Fog lamps, winch, diff locks, tread pattern on tyres, seats with 5 point seat belts, beadlocks etc.

The 'Commando' concept is based on a Bolero chassis with a mutilated
Bolero body, not the longer WB Camper.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 21:57   #36
BHPian
 
RedMM340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on the move
Posts: 459
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
My formula for a Classic replacement, a minimum change vehicle to keep the bean counters happy.

1) NG Chassis (from the Army MM550XDB) shortened to the CJ3B wheelbase.
2) MM550XDB axles, front and rear LSDs.
3) The 63bhp Turbo DI engine with a 5 speed GB
4) A proper roll cage, not just for looks.
5) 31-11.5R15 tyres.

Options: Fog lamps, winch, diff locks, tread pattern on tyres, seats with 5 point seat belts, beadlocks etc.

The 'Commando' concept is based on a Bolero chassis with a mutilated
Bolero body, not the longer WB Camper.
Sounds nice.

Only problem I see is the 5 speed gbox is too long for the CJ3B wheelbase.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 22:04   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Sounds nice.

Only problem I see is the 5 speed gbox is too long for the CJ3B wheelbase.
Can the 2.2 Crde engine with 4x4 be plonked in the above shown army versions.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 23:16   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 911 Times
Default

M&M does offer the Major in 4x4 config at Rs 5.5 lacs new. I think what most want is something like a Wrangler which not only is a 4x4 but looks a million dollars too

Apart from the Major one other option is the base Tata Sumo with 4x4.

I think the real issue is neither of these look cool and hence the poor response from the enthusiast.

As basic as the old Jeep was it looked fabulous. That's what's missing now. What do you guys think?

Moreso its a small community today in India who desire an offroader. Half the time I am explaining myself to people about what going offroad is all about and more often than not they think I've lost it to want to do all that monkeying around in the wilderness.

I think as someone suggested all we need to do is convince M&M to sell a bunch of MM550 military spec for offroading enthusiasts. To me it looks just right and M&M don't need to do anything more to make this happen. Its just a marketing decision to release a few cars to civilians. Unless ofcourse they are obligated not to due to the military contract.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 05:55   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

We have some members here, who I think has an inside line to Mahindra. If I am right, guy, please please talk them into releasing a few MM550's to the general civilian public.

Btw, was the legend based on 550?
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 09:18   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i have just finished sending an email to DGM - Customization of M&M division regading what GTO and Ricky said, mahindra has all the tools to make a genuine 4x4 in limited numbers for indian customers.

lets see what reply i get. if you guys want i can forward you his email and details and the email i have written to him.

cheers
cheers:


Would look forward to hearing from you on what their response is

It'd be nice if you share the content of the mail.



Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 09:23   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.
Count me in with similar thoughts as GTO, go to think of it, either it does not make coomercial sence for M&M to do so, or they are just a munch of fools, I think they are the latter.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 09:26   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default

first class thoughts.
I am a 100% with you on this one.
There is a niche market out there for the Army type 550 XDP Jeep for enthusiastic people.
I hope Mahindra comes up with a similar vehicle for civilian use.
Cheers

[quote=Ricky_63;917920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
GTO - Touring;[/b]917781]I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.



Could not agree with you more M&M should come out with something similar to the Wrangler ! Similar stuff is being done in Hyderabad, why can't M&M with all their resources do it ???

Is M&M listening ????


Cheers
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 13:46   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Dan,

A big thanks to you for prescribing the necessary treatment for Sir Alec's almost unmentionable criticism of a Jeep. The only acceptable way to eliminate external hinges is if you eliminate the doors.

Yes it really is a shame that first M&M stopped the CL340. And now even the 550 is not available. M&M fully has the capability to provide a nice 4x4 550 with the new mHawk engine.

However, there is always the Gurkha. No tinkering needed. Just take delivery and start 4 wheeling!

But judging by the sales of the Gurkha and the typical criticisms on this forum by 4x4 enthusiasts about the high price, VFM, unnecessary lockers, poor fit/finish, etc., do you blame M&M for not offering a similar vehicle?
SirAlec, only kidding, all in jest. Probably a little over the top though, in retrospect.

Red, yeah, we agree. But Force does not stand behind the Gurkha, that is the problem. They complain that it does not sell but how many people in India even know it exists? And, if they are going to sell it then they need to stock spares at their dealers. If they commit to it then they also need to deliver it in under 2 months, not in 6 months or a year or whenever there is by chance a blue moon.

The idea of Mahindra selling mm550s with the new 2.2 or old 2.6 is intriguing. That would be a pocket rocket for Indian drivers, for sure. I wonder if they could handle it.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 14:12   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Some things which i want to add is

1) Major is a good road vehicle compared to the older generation Internationals. The body here is pretty light.

The availability of spares for any mahindra jeep is close to nil. We really have to rely on stuff you get off some spare parts shop as in they are not the originals. My friend who is building up his willys i already facing problems with this. Numerous visits to India garage didnt help him out. He is on a last try before plonking the other spares into his vehicle.
The spares even in the modern vehicles which they have is pretty hard to find. I went to the showroom with 3 articles i wanted but got none. The smallest was a clutch release spring!!! No i didnt get it. Well it was for a bolero.
These are 2 statements i got while talking to dad and also my friend. We been having jeeps since 1980.
Dad " We dont have any option here. Whatever mahindra makes we got to buy. For service we got to depend on local mechanics. They have been doing the same job from really long so you end up getting a good job from them with the different companies which makes spares also to support"

Friends comment is simple and straight " No more mahindras for me! If i got to buy one i will have to buy 2 of them. One for driving and the other to fish for spares!!"
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 02:36   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 9
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
SirAlec, hinges belong on the outside.

I agree with the Addicted One. It is a national disgrace, a disgrace, I say!!, that there are not 2 or 3 top notch tough jeeps available on the market. LR and Land stuff has changed hands so many times now it's hard to say what is going to come out of their forges now.

We are faced with the alternative of building up old ones. But I want to drive the d*mn things, not tinker with them.
Love and Completely agree with the last line sir.
Desified is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindras - Customized - Scorpio Passion & CEO, Bolero - Inspira & Commando sjcherian Modifications & Accessories 43 19th November 2010 18:57
RE Café U'Morok - the Hottest Commando Racer on the Indian Sub-Continent gbanavar Motorbikes 15 28th April 2010 09:19
Mahindra Shaan - New Tractor from Mahindra! normally_crazy Commercial Vehicles 25 7th April 2009 00:36
Scorpio or the Bolero Commando manasm SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 1 27th December 2007 14:28
mahindra and mahindra entering the bike battle devarshi84 Motorbikes 17 4th October 2005 23:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks