Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 2nd March 2010, 22:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Nilesh, I would say patience is one helpfull factor in these cases.

An interstate transfer involves a lot of pain which can be avoided.

Still if you want, just check what would be the transfer amount that needs to be paid to get it registered in Maharashtra. If not then the alternative would be to pay the road tax every year and drive on. Not sure about this.

Gurus can comment on this.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:09   #47
BHPian

Hey guys,I'm new member of team bhp,eventhough i've been following various threads for past few months.This is a cross posting as advised by nilesh.

Now getting to the point, i've been given a good offer from a friend of mine, who's planning to sell his gypsy as he's booked an ANHC.He's the second owner of the vehicle.

Its a 1986 model in stock condition.

What puts me off?

Its done about 1.5l kms.
The front drive shaft has been removed for ages.(he's still got it with him).
The insulation under the bonnet is damaged and hence there is some paint cracking on top off the bonnet.
Had used gas for about 4 years few years back and the kit was later removed.
The free wheeling hubs doesn't budge from the lock to free position.(Weren't they supposed to keep it free when using 2WD.)
The 4WD has not been used in almost 12 years so dont believe thats going to work either.(Will try and get it fixed from a MASS, once I buy it off.)

What makes me want to go for it?

Its a GYPSY
The cost of buying.Its coming cheap.
The general condition of the engine and the other mechanicals.(it's 998cc carb).
This is my third vehicle and would be meant for recreational off road and rough terrain.(not hard core though till I get a hang of it)
I want something to beat the crap out of it.(pun intended)
Planning to modify including a heart change and shackle raise or a full spoa(3-5 inches) after a couple of years.

I've a few of question's as well:

Is the Gypsy 1.3(carb or mpfi) engine same as the esteem 1.3?(I know its a G13BB on Gypsy.)
If yes; Is it possible to plonk a 1.3 G13BB engine(carb or mpfi), keeping the same 4 speed gear box?
I don't think a 5 speed is necessary for my intended usage.(guidance required).
Is it possible that I can replace the original axles to wide track ones? If so, then does the manual locking hubs stay or have to be discarded?
Should I change the front or rear differentials if I go for a heart change?

Experts please throw some light.

Kindly excuse for making it this long.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:12   #48
BHPian

I'm currently not stationed in India.So my cousin is going to do all the checks and give me a feedback within a week.
conjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:36   #49
BHPian

Like Harjeev said dont trust the Karol bagh guys. Look for genuine gypsy sellers or buy a ex army jeep and restore it as per your own taste, the price would more or less be te same.
amanpreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 11:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Folks, i have been talking to someone who is selling his rally prep gypsy. Its a 2003 MPFI done about 46k kms and has the following:

1.Auxiliary fuel Tank - 40 ltrs
2.Two Spare Tyres - BF Goodrich ALL TERRAIN TUBELESS TYRES (car is fitted with same tyres too)
3.All steel roll cage.
4.Additional relay fitting with wiring for high density head lights.
5.Two complete sets of additional spring leafs.
6.Spare clutch n accelator cables fitted inline.
7.Spare genuine maruti clutch plate n pressure plate.
8.Few more extra spares i.e. hose,fuses,headlamps,headlight assembly,sockets,spark plugs,fastners.
9.Power cut off switch.
10.Spare ECM box.(new one costs appx. 15-20000)
11.Front bumper crash guard fitted.
12.Spare set of Shockers.
13.Set of snow chain.

I dont intend to get into raid this year. It will mostly be 2011 so does it make sense to buy this one? Until i get into the raid, this one will mostly end up ferrying me back and forth from work and monsoon OTRs if there are any in Pune. :( Not sure if its going to make sense?
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 12:10   #51
Team-BHP Support

Make up your mind what you wish to do, Raid and OTR's require different set ups. If your dream is Raid go for it! but if its long term OTR usage you will need to undo many modifications.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 12:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Make up your mind what you wish to do, Raid and OTR's require different set ups. If your dream is Raid go for it! but if its long term OTR usage you will need to undo many modifications.
Jaggu - Is it really undo? Or will i need additional mods? This vehicle had participated in the adventure category only. Also, i dont see too many mechanical mods on this one. I mean the kind of mods Allan, Sultan talk of dont seem to figure here right?

I finding it hard to make up my mind cause i will mostly be dead embarassed taking this vehicle to work everyday with no plans to enter the raid for atleast 1.5yrs! Maybe its better to get a stock gypsy, do OTRs and then get the mods done when ready for the raid.

Do these mods costs a bomb? I think not since restoring a scarp vehicle takes 2.5lacs so just these mods wont pinch too much right?
hmmmm
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 13:06   #53
Team-BHP Support

See what all mods they have done to the suspension, thats the tricky bit. If its just reinforcement and stuff its fine. Cabin is debatable, as long as its not too heavy it should work fine for OTR also.

If they have replaced the stock springs with performance one's, lowered the vehicle etc it will need some rework, check if the OE parts are still around. Double shock set up is again ok, if the stock mounts are intact.

Engine tuned for more power is good thing, maybe you would want to rework the header configuration to help with more low end torque.

Typical preparation for raid will cost anything from 1.5 to 2 lakhs from stock. This is for full prep, adventure might not require so much mods.

Last but not the least, whats the price quoted

EDIT: Oh do check very clearly if the vehicle didnt have any incidents and chassis is in good shape!

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th March 2010 at 13:08.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:32   #54
BHPian

JK,what abt the 4x4 part,i have seen some of the mod gypsy's that dosent work even missing the shaft for the 4 wheel drive.

Raj
Rajachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:34   #55

Default Maruti Gyspy Mg410

I am based in Chennai, and have been looking out for a Gypsy for a off roading purpose, basically to travel to my plantation and the last 2 kms of which is to travel through a stream, puddles, uneven path, slushy path [at times]. I have come across a 1990 Gypsy, and have been quoted Rs 85000 for the Gypsy. The Gypsy is running on Petrol & Gas, it is in running condition with a soft top in front and open in the rear. Brake lining is poor, suspension is tight and not good, the engine is jerky and the body is reasonably good.

I would like to pick the thoughts of members of this forum on the Gypsy. I would like to know

1. What is your evaluation of the MG410 as a model
2. Is Rs 85000 a fair price for the 1990 model
3. What is the fuel efficiency of the MG410 in Petrol
4. What are the frequently replacable spares and the costs of the same

Shall appreciate hearing back from you

regards

KRISHNAN

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2011 at 18:47. Reason: Please use Search and post in an already existing thread. Thanks
pskrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:49   #56
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

2) Price seems to be ok for a good running piece with minimal rust. Rust part double check, especially in a costal location like Chennai
3) Expect 8-10 kmpl inside city and about 12 on highway trips.
4) Once you set it right, nothing much apart from fluids and filters which are very similar to other maruti vehicles.
Old 19th January 2012, 22:15   #57
BHPian

Default 4x4 within a limited budget:

I want to buy a 4x4. I have sold my old Maruti Zen. I am looking at used MM550-540 or Gypsy MG413 and I have a small budget of 200K (I can stretch it by additional 30-50K. I am not a rich man).

Fortunately, my Home is centrally located in the city and my major commute is within 6-7 KM from home. I have two bikes (Yezdi and CBZ) as my daily ride, considering the small distance I have to cover. I need a four wheeler for once a month long distance, say 200-500 KM, for 100KM weekends and also during heavy rains.

I need a 4x4 because I like to off-road whenever I get the opportunity during weekends. (I don't yet have any plans for heavy off-roading, I might later). I have always coveted soft-top 4x4s, hence MM550 or Gypsy.

What I want to lean from this forum:
  • Am I being reasonable within my budget to hunt for a decent Gypsy or MM550? Because most of the ads I have come across are beyond my budget.
  • Which one of the two (MG and MM) will be a better bet considering my needs?
  • There are couple of prospects in the TBHP -Classifieds I am looking at. I was wondering what kind of expenditure I am looking at after I buy a Gypsy or MM? I understand that it is all subjective and will depend on the condition of the vehicle, still a wild guess will be helpful.
  • I have never maintained a 4x4 before so I don't know what kind of maintenance I am looking at. Will it be same as the Car or will it be more? I mean mechanical maintenance.
  • How difficult it will be to register a vehicle from another state?
I request the forum to help me make an informed buy.

Thanks.
JeepHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 23:18   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 4x4 within a limited budget:

Hi JeepHyde, you will surely get a good MM550 for ~2.5 lacs.

Buttt... I'm unsure how comfortable you will be to traverse ~500 kms in it, unless you make some good on-road mods like AC, PS, good seats, damping, etc..

I guess if you extend your budget to >3L, you can get a post '04-'05 550 NGCS, which will be better for long on-road/off-road use.

Let the experts confirm.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 11:32   #59
BHPian

My vote will go for the Gypsy King MPFI, and a decent one will cost you around the 2.5 Laks mark. But to find one you will have to expand your search to all over india focusing more towards Delhi-Chandigarh side.

The reason I vote for the Gypsy KING MPFi is the reliability of it. This vehicle has been in production in the world since 1986, and all major problems have been ironed out by now. Also I have driven MM jeeps as well as Gypsys and I find the Gypsy to be more user friendly. The downside is the petrol engine. But since you live so close to the city and are a 2 wheel user as well, I am sure a diesel wont make sense to you anyways.

Both these vehicles are not the most comfortable or economical to live with. So Do keep an open mind about this aspect. If you can do that then you will love the go anywhere attitude of these vehicles.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 14:34   #60
BHPian

My vote: 550 and as Dhanush said, if you can get NGCS do that by stretching your budget. It has a better ride than the Gypsy, and IMO, looks way better. Plus the Gypsy would have a heavy fuel bill for long distance trips.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote