Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 2nd March 2016, 14:24   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I know the Gypsy transmission is designed to cater to the current engine's torque. Any thing more (say 50% more torque) and the axles will start breaking. That is why till date no deisel has been fitted to the Gypsy.

You second option - rebuild the Verito and sell it off. Then buy yourself a 4x4.
Thank you for replying. So, I cant use this gem of an engine in a Jeep or Gypsy. What a waste, I really wanted to use this engine and other car parts like power steering & maybe disc brakes, etc. to build something good. One of the mechanic I know says it could be done, or he is rather it 'may' be done by the way he sounds about it and I am scared it might end up being some sort of a 'JUGAAD'.
Rebuilding Verito isn't too exiting as its resale is already too low and being an accidental case it would not help its cause anyway. I also don't want to build a 4x4 that would be standing 24x7 in a mech garage.
So its time to hunt for a Logan/Verito body shell. Anything that involve cars is exiting anyways.

I was also thinking about Renault Logan/ Dacia Logan Pickup. But I guess converting it to those will make it illegal on road. And I am not too sure what purpose would it serve. So I think rebuilding Verito it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-dacia_logan_pickup_by_vladyd.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-screenshot_20160219190138.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by wrongturn : 2nd March 2016 at 14:32.
wrongturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Thank you for replying. So, I cant use this gem of an engine in a Jeep or Gypsy. What a waste, I really wanted to use this engine and other car parts like power steering & maybe disc brakes, etc. to build something good. One of the mechanic I know says it could be done, or he is rather it 'may' be done by the way he sounds about it and I am scared it might end up being some sort of a 'JUGAAD'.
Rebuilding Verito isn't too exiting as its resale is already too low and being an accidental case it would not help its cause anyway. I also don't want to build a 4x4 that would be standing 24x7 in a mech garage.
So its time to hunt for a Logan/Verito body shell. Anything that involve cars is exiting anyways.
Before you embark on rebuilding the Verito find out
A = How much the junk dealers are willing to give for your car as is.
B = How much will it take to rebuild the car.
C = How much can you sell it for after rebuild.

If C > A + B, then it is financially viable, else just sell it as is. Even if you make less than 10K profit, it is not worth the time and effort spent.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:43   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Before you embark on rebuilding the Verito find out
A = How much the junk dealers are willing to give for your car as is.
B = How much will it take to rebuild the car.
C = How much can you sell it for after rebuild.

If C > A + B, then it is financially viable, else just sell it as is. Even if you make less than 10K profit, it is not worth the time and effort spent.
Difference is huge, I got a couple of quotes that are both under 75k. If I rebuild this, which is a 2011 Verito D4 which has done 27K Kilometers, it holds a resale value of around 2.5L and more. And its engine is still in good condition and running, all it needs is a new body majorly. I think rebuilding it is the way forward.

Last edited by wrongturn : 2nd March 2016 at 14:45.
wrongturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:02   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It will take a long time and a whole lot of effort more, but selling parts individually might fetch you more value
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote