Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 13th August 2008, 10:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

krishna you are one lucky guy

all the best and ENJOY this beauty

I am happy for you, but being only human cant help being a bit envious !

It is a superb specimen!
cheers
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 11:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

kittigadu,

Congratulations...Excellent buy, worth it!!!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:01   #63
BHPian

I have only one thing to say about this JEEP. "WOW" , its absolutely marvelous. You have shown me a path to hunt for my 4x4.

Being based out of Mumbai, I have very limited options to find a JEEP or a Gypsy. Most of the rides which I have seen here are pimped up MM540, 550s & CJ340's most of which are 2WDs. It makes me sad when I see posers using JEEPs and Gypsies. I managed to find 2 classics, both were re-operated, transfercase & propeller shaft were removed to attain better milage, even then, they were priced exhorbitantly.

When ever I visit a used car dealer, I hear only one thing "Saahab, aap 4WD leke kya karenge ? 2WD hi bahut hai... "

These things really make me think whether I can get a functional 4WD ???

Heres me waiting for a paradigm shift...

Once again congrats on your priced possession.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 15:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Finding a used car in excellent condition is a tough job, finding a jeep in excellent condition is a nightmare....kittigadu congrats on the possession, its a gem

Last edited by jacs : 13th August 2008 at 15:24.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 18:10   #65
BANNED

[quote

When ever I visit a used car dealer, I hear only one thing "Saahab, aap 4WD leke kya karenge ? 2WD hi bahut hai... "

These things really make me think whether I can get a functional 4WD ???

quote]

i get to hear the same thing after i called few jeep dealers in Mayapuri and Dabwali in north india.

i have asked my father in law in punjab to keep an eye on any 4x4 mm550 he finds.

cheers
cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 22:21   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
My friend who came along with me for the deal, said one thing that made me go for that price. He said
" This is exactly what u wanted. Just imagine that u are buying a new one and ur dad used it for all those 2k kms. Most probably you might not even find any other jeep that is anywhere near to what it offers. This is the 'one'. Go for it what ever, you wouldnt regret, but if you dont, u definitely will all your life till you find something similar which is highly unlikely.Tell me. if you are not buying, i shall "
I was the lucky one to test drive it first, and the unlucky one, to not own it, cause Krishna, did not let it go. If it was not for Krishna, it would have been me.

It is one magnificient machine. I liked the whole thing, the power and the neat mods.

The first day after Krishna bought it, I drove it atleast a 80kms till late in the midnight in Hyderabad, testing everything out.

Sure, he is a lucky man.
Enjoy! your first wife. We'll talk about the second one.
challasravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:54   #67
BHPian

The previous owner has very tastefully done up the small changes in the jeep from what is available in the Army version.
1. Wheels
2. Tail lights
3. Head light guard
4. Rear view mirrors
5. Additional rear view mirror on the co-dvr side.
6. Absense of paking light/idicator console on the front of the mudguard.
7. Parking lights next to the grill.
8. Absense of insect guard.
9. Absence of the metal plate between the bumper and the grill console.
These are the few things which I could notice in the photos. I admit that the jeep looks good with all these changes.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 16:34   #68
BHPian

Am planning to buy a mm540 soon in coming weeks, will be able to spend around 2.5 laks for the mods. I had a different picture in mind, But after I saw your jeep, its simple and mind blowing. I will soon post pictures of my MM540 from buying it till the end of Mods. cheers
yamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 21:56   #69
BHPian

Default This top for a M&M550/540

Guys,
check these photos.

Name:  1638.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  31.0 KB
Name:  sportgrayrearlg.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  67.3 KBName:  sportpurple9.jpg
Views: 2414
Size:  18.4 KBName:  sportpurple3.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  14.5 KB

Wanted some pointers,suggestions from members who know someone in the bodyshop+plastic/fiber molding field who can do such a thing for my mm550.
I am not happy with the current rexine curtain i have right now. I just put it so that the rain does not mess up the cabin. I even thought of getting a full softtop, 8000Rs was the quoted price.
Name:  flap.JPG
Views: 2346
Size:  13.6 KB

The white jeep here in the below image seems to have a similar setup. This gives me confidence that the idea is not impossible. Also, i have seen a fellow member's post who had done fiber molding at home to fix speakers in his santro door and it looks awesome .(sorry couldn't find the post). Which again proves that this is very much doable. I just need a professional.
A friend suggested coimbatore/chennai where they dressup the rally gypsys.
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-20944d1213363775tnissan4w73aka1tonpict0002.jpg

Krishna.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th September 2008 at 22:00. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 16:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

I hope you change your mind about this. Your idea robs you of usable space in the rear and detracts from the classic good looks of this vehicle. Actually, I think your solid back rear seats are ugly, too. I think this ole rag top is what you should opt for. This is just my opinion.
Attached Images

DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 16:38   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Guys,
check these photos.

Wanted some pointers,suggestions from members who know someone in the bodyshop+plastic/fiber molding field who can do such a thing for my mm550.
Krishna,

These tops are for the SWB Samurai. I had done extensive research on these tops and believe me they will NOT look good on any longer wheel base vehicle -- even the LWB Samurai (the Gypsy we have in India).

Also, they will reduce your rear space -- but that's your choice of space.

This can be easily done and I know a person/tinker garage in Bangalore that was ready to do it for me. I just did not pursue it further.

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 18:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Dear krishna garu,

Please dont resort to such kind of tops. They dont look good. I have seen that white jeep you are reffering in real, doesnt look good. I like your present vehicle look. If you are looking for lockable cabin security then go for a full hard top, but you will loose on looks for sure. Your present top looks good. I suggest you to replace your magwheels set as they dont entirely justify the looks of your rugged jeep. Personal opinion.

Believe me your jeep looks fabulous. Iam planning to get mine done like yours!!!
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 19:48   #73
BHPian

Your vehicle with the half open top is a treat to the eyes. Again a personal opinion, but the top you are looking for might rob the MM540 of it's original looks.
amreshmahapatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 07:45   #74
BHPian

Default Go for split softtop

Hi Krishna,

I second the opinion of Dan, Vinod Nookala & Khan Sultan. The hardtop full or patial will rob the Jeep of its classic looks.

What i see from your pictures is that you only have the bikini top for the your jeep. You can get the softtop in two sections. This way the rear portion of the softtop can be removed when you dont want. If done properly this is very effective.

My Jeep has same 2 section softtop
My Brand New MM550 XD 4x4-softtop-thedayafteroffroading.jpg

At the B pillar (highlighted in Red circle) you can remove the softtop. This setup is pretty good and no rain water seeps in.
Just a suggestion.
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 11:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hi Krishna,

Excellent find, hope to see you off-road with your JEEP.

Please check your shock absorbers, particularly the Left Rear.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote