Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 20:26   #31
BHPian
 
balenopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 906
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Thats an awesome machine.Will be amazing to see it in action
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 09:48   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ok. There are differences in the pics. So what man... We seem to be playing 'spot the 10 differences between the 2 pictures'. The owner must have made mods so the pics are different.

For me, the very fact that he has installed a winch (see the main set of pictures) is a sure sign that this person loves 4x4 and is an avid off-roader.

Believe me, it's very unlikely that a person will install a winch (and keep it covered for protection) just for show. Only a person knowledgeable in 4x4 and an off-roading enthusiast will go in for a winch.


@ Khan_Sultan

The difference is apparent - hence pointed out.

As Ishaan had mentioned that the picture of the muddy vehicle was provided by the gentleman in question. It does not seem like the same vehicle.

There have been instances in the past when people have claimed various things which turned out to be incorrect. (Remember the Dubai Kid who had every other exotic car on the planet in his garage)

No one is saying that the gentleman is NOT into serious off-roading et al. I see no reason why you should jump to his defence.

There was no offence meant to anyone




Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 12:26   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
RedOne we are waiting for your reply, may be a bit in detail, how much would maintaining a land cruiser cost
In 1998 I had purchased a brand new TLC and used it for 40000 kms. Except for oil filter changes not a penny was spent on anything else. When I sold the car as I was returning home the car felt like brand new with no work absolutely. And mind you this was despite it being used regularly offroad.

Brakes is an expense that comes up at 20000 kms + on autos but the w/s was stumped mine, a manual, didn't require brake pad replacement even at 40K. Reason being I used the gears to slow her down rather than braking for every slow down.

A car at 80k will require the mandatory timing belt replacement. These cars are built like tanks. I reckon unless you've picked up a poorly maintained vehicle the TLC's don't require any special attention till beyond 150000 kms, when perhaps a new set of shocks and suspension rubber would be in order.

That said a brand new TLC is around 92 lacs (a friend just got one) so its an expensive car and parts would be expensive if requiring replacement.

Hope that helps
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 18:22   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
In 1998 I had purchased a brand new TLC and used it for 40000 kms. Except for oil filter changes not a penny was spent on anything else. When I sold the car as I was returning home the car felt like brand new with no work absolutely. And mind you this was despite it being used regularly offroad.
DKG, if you bought in 1998 was it the 100 series? 1997 was the last year for the 80 series in the USA. I bought a 2002 100 series and used for about 90000 miles without any complaints and sold it before I came to India. Changed engine oil every 5000 miles and Transmission/Transfer Case/Differential oil every 30000 miles. At 90,000 miles they suggest changing the timing belt etc,but since I was selling, I let the buyer deal with it.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 21:04   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 912 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
DKG, if you bought in 1998 was it the 100 series? 1997 was the last year for the 80 series in the USA.
Yes it was the first year of the 100 series with the independent front suspension. I guess world over they discontinued the 80 that year. It had the horizontal split tailgate with the swing tyre holder. Later models had the wheel underneath like the Lexus versions.

My memory fails me but I vaguely remember you could order the 100 with the solid front axle. I can't remember clearly. I think it was an option.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 22:53   #36
BHPian
 
mura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Yes it was the first year of the 100 series with the independent front suspension. I guess world over they discontinued the 80 that year. It had the horizontal split tailgate with the swing tyre holder. Later models had the wheel underneath like the Lexus versions.

My memory fails me but I vaguely remember you could order the 100 with the solid front axle. I can't remember clearly. I think it was an option.
The 100 series Land Cruiser can be had with manual locking hubs, a manual transmission and part time transfer case, in addition to the solid front axle and front and rear locking diffs.

These options ware available in the Base GX model only and not in USA.

The 80 series was made till 2006 in Venezuela.

Also the owner of this car has changed to aftermarket Lights and got a new front grill from the diesel model hence the "Turbo" written on it.
mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 00:45   #37
BHPian
 
-GT-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai / Dubai
Posts: 171
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
The 100 series Land Cruiser can be had with manual locking hubs, a manual transmission and part time transfer case, in addition to the solid front axle and front and rear locking diffs.

These options ware available in the Base GX model only and not in USA.
Even the LC 200 series is available with manual transmission (in the Gulf). LC 200 in the Gulf is available also in Diesel turbo version along with 4 litre V6 petrol (same engine as Prado) and 4.7 litre V8 petrol. The US version of LC200 is available only in 5.7 litre petrol V8 (tundra engine).
-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 16:32   #38
BHPian
 
gotzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 488
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The difference is apparent - hence pointed out.

As Ishaan had mentioned that the picture of the muddy vehicle was provided by the gentleman in question. It does not seem like the same vehicle.
yes, it definitely is different.. thought the headlamps and grille change can be understood, the vanishing bonnet scoop and the rooftop carrier are hard to digest..

but what i really would want to know is, WHERE is that picture taken?
i would love to take my gypsy there, for some dirty fun.

cheers
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 03:46   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Sorry guys it seems the mistake regarding the picture was mine. I somehow got the impression that the pic was of his LC when he never mentioned anything of the sort to me. Here is what the owner has to say:

Quote:
I saw the page regarding my LC today and realised that there seems to be a lot of controversy on. Thought I must clarify to the best of my knowledge. My LC has a six cylinder inline 4.5 litre Engine. Originally 1 FZE and now 1FZ. The suspension is Old Man Emu. Tires are Kumho MTs size 285-16. The LC has provision for two spares which I am awaiting and as such the rear spare is a Yokohama ATs 275/16. The thing mounted on the spare is a spade. The LC further has a Toyota winch, Safari snorkel and u Bull bar from Toyota. Further the suspension is the special winch and bull bar version. The car has had lift of about 6 inches App. With the tires suspension etc. As regards the lights, the original had 4 square headlights. I changed these to H4 Halogen single Lens original Toyota Head lamps. They were again changed to tube rim double HIDs with a single H9 conventional bulb as shown in your pix. The rear lights are LED type now. The car has a Nokia long range car phone with external antennae, JVC DVD surround sound with sub woofer and centre speaker. One 7 inch and 1 13.1 inch video screens. Input for additional audio/video, USB and SD MM card as well as a modem. The car also has a GPS, Radar and Laser detector, front and rear cameras as well as PA system. The Wheels are original Toyota. The rear auxiliary lamps do not affect road clearance. The Front Grill has been changed due to damage and as correctly pointed out belongs to the Diesel version. Similarly the mud picture is not of the same car. I never claimed it was. The car though is a similar LC with a supercharger installed by Slee off road. A picture before the modification is attached with my son Aftab behind the Wheel. I hope the issue is settled now. However if any further queries exist, I will be happy to answer them. Even the car is available for inspection should anyone be interested.
And here is the picture:
Off-Road spec LandCruiser-07042008093.jpg

I hope this resolves the confusion.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 09:23   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Irags, Get the owner to join the forum. Am sure he will enjoy being here and we all will learn from him.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 09:53   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 353 Times
Default

The clarification puts a lot of doubts to rest. Great machine - no questions about it.



Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 13:20   #42
BHPian
 
RedOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
No idea Manoj, we'll have to ask RedOne on that, he's been using one for a while now.

RedOne, what do you say??
Sorry guys, was offline for a few days.

Re my LC, it's a 96 Dec 80 with the 4.2 turbo diesel (1HD-T) engine, manual GB and part time 4WD with manually locking hubs. It' s been close to 2 years and 15K kms since I got it. The truck has been very dependable and not too problematic wrt repairs and maintenance. Maintenance so far:
  • Regular service costs about 6K with oil, filter etc, every 5-6 months. I don't go by kms done, as I do not use it on a daily basis.
  • Front brakes were changed once and cost about 8K.
  • Tyres replaced for around 24K
  • Battery died and changed for 6K
  • Currently having some electrical issues like driver side power window not going up/down, starter motor sometimes gets stuck, power antennae is stuck etc.
  • Headlight relay blew and Kashyap Motors wanted Rs 1700 for a used one! Got a local one, new, for Rs 150 in NOIDA sector 16 and it's still working.
  • Returns between 8 and 9 kmpl whatever I do.

That's about it. Like I said, not too bad for a 12 year old truck.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 14:08   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Sorry guys, was offline for a few days.

Re my LC, it's a 96 Dec 80 with the 4.2 turbo diesel (1HD-T) engine, manual GB and part time 4WD with manually locking hubs. It' s been close to 2 years and 15K kms since I got it. The truck has been very dependable and not too problematic wrt repairs and maintenance. Maintenance so far:
  • Regular service costs about 6K with oil, filter etc, every 5-6 months. I don't go by kms done, as I do not use it on a daily basis.
  • Front brakes were changed once and cost about 8K.
  • Tyres replaced for around 24K
  • Battery died and changed for 6K
  • Currently having some electrical issues like driver side power window not going up/down, starter motor sometimes gets stuck, power antennae is stuck etc.
  • Headlight relay blew and Kashyap Motors wanted Rs 1700 for a used one! Got a local one, new, for Rs 150 in NOIDA sector 16 and it's still working.
  • Returns between 8 and 9 kmpl whatever I do.
That's about it. Like I said, not too bad for a 12 year old truck.

Gears,
Red-One.
Nice, crisp points redone. With all that bulk, it manages 8-9kmpl ? wow !!
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 17:04   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,539
Thanked: 80,286 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I
That said a brand new TLC is around 92 lacs (a friend just got one) so its an expensive car and parts would be expensive if requiring replacement.
They (LC enthusiasts) say that the 200 has lost the plot. It is too expensive, has far too many electronics / gizmos and is too big & heavy for what a LandCruiser ought to be. Considering that you have driven the latest, would you agree?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 17:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They (LC enthusiasts) say that the 200 has lost the plot. It is too expensive, has far too many electronics / gizmos and is too big & heavy for what a LandCruiser ought to be. Considering that you have driven the latest, would you agree?
The 200 series put me of completely. Don't blame Toyota, they are going after the Range Rover crowd. The version sold in the USA comes only fully loaded with air suspension, NAV, DVD etc and cost upwards of 70,000 USD. Ii am not comfortable with an off-roader with so much electronics in them and so pricey that i am hesitant to take it off-road. The new 5.7 Liter V8 in the US Spec LC gives about 13 miles a gallon. They have put low profile 18 in tires on an off-roader. Guess Toyota makes what the market wants and in the US, these *4x4* are used mostly as urban mall cruisers by soccer moms and I bet you that 95% of them will drive it without even knowing that there is a low range transfer case !!

I have been seriously considering a 70 series which I think is probably the last of the original Land Cruisers which you can buy new. I am also in the market for a good used 80 Series but most of ones I see on sale have over 100K miles on them with multiple owners. If you ask me, the 70 from Bhutan with Land cruisers legendary and bullet proof 4.2 Liter inline six is probably the best land cruiser money can buy and one that is so basic that you will have zero repair costs (outside) of regular maintenance. The 70 series sold in Australia comes with Toyota's 4.4 liter V8 CRDI engine which I suspect will be costlier to maintain in the long run compared to the inline 6 diesel.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari 4x4 The Off Road, and No road journeys tsk1979 4x4 Excursions 158 27th March 2014 21:55
OTR & Paragliding: Palakkad Off-Road Adventure's "Off-Road Extreme 2013" JeepCaptain 4x4 Excursions 7 2nd March 2013 12:45
A Pure Off-Road Spec Gypsy Build | SPoA, Lockers, Bumpers etc etc. swastikviji 4x4 Vehicles 81 16th July 2010 16:54
Bangalore: Tumkur Road, off-road training & meet: Sunday 12th July dwaraka 4x4 Excursions 59 22nd July 2009 15:59
Worlds fastest Landcruiser! X-Machine The International Automotive Scene 4 17th September 2004 21:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks