Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 21st September 2008, 10:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

No it is not a turbo (yet)

This is one of the more capable off-roaders, I am told at par or better than the LC (depends which model), but I'd say at par with the Pajero.

Speedsport can shed more light on the exact thing, where art thou ?

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 10:46   #17
BHPian

@Speedsport-atleast you've got the stickering in one place and not spattered all over the car like somebody just dropped a load on them.:-)

So finally you've started to post frequently now, thats good! And two shockers from you already, i have seen your 4Runner in flesh while discussin about the Jeep, never realised you'v egot the E-Zen too.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 14:51   #18
BHPian

Hey Phil is this you? nice car, do post pics of the Kargil ride!
dr chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 22:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Cool car speedsport. Looking forward to some "action" pics.

This gen of the 4runner is really a beauty of a car -- looks even better with the cladding/armour on the doors.

I drove a V6 4runner for a little more than 2 years, and that thing really just kept going and going - rain, snow or sunshine.

Heres a pic of it after only 5minutes of driving during a really hardcore blizzard -- it continued to drive across 3 states in the blizzard and had no problems whatsoever!

My 4Runner-21610.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
....Wasn't there a black early 90's 4runner in Bombay?
Maybe thats the one Cyrus is talking about?
There was an older gen white 4runner that used to be parked on malabar hill many years back as well.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2008 at 22:45.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Cool car speedsport. Looking forward to some "action" pics.

This gen of the 4runner is really a beauty of a car -- looks even better with the cladding/armour on the doors.

I drove a V6 4runner for a little more than 2 years, and that thing really just kept going and going - rain, snow or sunshine.

Heres a pic of it after only 5minutes of driving during a really hardcore blizzard -- it continued to drive across 3 states in the blizzard and had no problems whatsoever!

Attachment 51795

Maybe thats the one Cyrus is talking about?
There was an older gen white 4runner that used to be parked on malabar hill many years back as well.

cya
R
The one I was talking about was/maybe is owned by a guy in my grade school, the guy was older than me.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 11:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I loved the car and the pics. Great slogan on the rear too.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 16:30   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great lookin' 4runner.....an absolute workhorse which you seem to be using just as intended. How long have you had it? Does it has a lift kit? Go offroading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Yeah I have seen Bharat Dabholkar's 4 runner several times, not a big fan of the lift kit, probably has never been off road.
I love that red Hilux....was totally kitted out into a road monster : Thread linky with pics (Monster Toyota Hilux Surf).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 23:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great lookin' 4runner.....an absolute workhorse which you seem to be using just as intended. How long have you had it? Does it has a lift kit? Go offroading?

I love that red Hilux....was totally kitted out into a road monster : Thread linky with pics (Monster Toyota Hilux Surf).
After seeing the pics I like the kit now. In my head it was much higher I guess.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 14:51   #24
BHPian

@gto : have had it for a couple of years now and even today enjoy driving it as my daily drive. it just got a set of hella black magic driving lights... photos of which i will put up shortly....

it runs at standard height right now... a lift kit would be good but given that i drive a lot in town and highway driving would be unstable at speeds so chucked the idea. thou have been scratching my head for some time now as to where to spend money on it .... been really long since i have on the toyota.

phil

ps: black magic pics coming soon
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:06   #25
BHPian

@dinar : this is the 2.8L engine which is basically a bored out version of the 2.4L qualis engine. the 2.4td which came in the surf also later came with a efi system which was quicker but the 2.4td has head problems where the head tends to crack as it cant handle the heat of the turbo.

another trivia/fact about the 2.8L is that this was one of the few engines that toyota motor company themselves designed most other engines are designed and manufactured for toyota by a company called Hino who manufacture trucks (they are also owned by toyota).

@razzor : i would rate the land cruiser 2 above the 4runner in terms of offroading and street ride as it has a live axle all around and is coil spring all around, but dosnt look anywhere as cool as the 4runner.

@dr. chill : yes this is me , who are you ?

@gto : havnt been to an offroading event as such BUT did you the full recce of the riad the himalaya till kargil . so that i think put the yota thru its paces for the 1st time in its life i guess. even at sub zero temperatures its started with half a crank. which was a relief

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2008 at 22:41. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:01   #26
BANNED

Nice piece of ride you've got.
It's an amazing 4X4 and I'm surprised why Toyota stopped making these.

Got a chance to drive a V8 version some days back and phew!! I had no words to chew down in excitement. I would be glad to own one of these in India for sure.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

speedie: go for the turbo!

Zakie, toyota still makes these, i think they have a new model launch in 2010 as well.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 18:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ Mods
Please move this to the 4x4 section. It belongs there.

As the only "modification" it has is a set of Hella Black Magic driving lights & a sparco steering wheel !!

Cheers
Old 19th December 2008, 00:30   #29
BHPian

@arush: turbo kit came some time back,just havnt got down to fixing it.

@ ricky : thanks DUDE . rumour has it that there is a certain gentleman in the n.c.r region doing the rounds at one of my friend place to buy out and exotic merc ? hmmm... thats karivardhans old car. am sure people on the forum will tell you who the gentleman was . iraghava where art thou??
Old 19th December 2008, 09:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
@arush: turbo kit came some time back,just havnt got down to fixing it.

@ ricky : thanks DUDE . rumour has it that there is a certain gentleman in the n.c.r region doing the rounds at one of my friend place to buy out and exotic merc ? hmmm... thats karivardhans old car. am sure people on the forum will tell you who the gentleman was . iraghava where art thou??

Oh so the TURBO is happening eh ?? Way to go

Exotic Merc ?? Mmmmm ???

Cheers