Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


View Poll Results: Which Jeep is the #1 Off-roader??
ZJ 0 0%
WJ 1 5.00%
CJ 10 50.00%
TJ 6 30.00%
YJ 0 0%
XJ 2 10.00%
MJ 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2008, 12:56   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
Ford GPW 1942 is the best of all.
Aamir, you are not supposed to vote for your own vehicle. It shows a complete lack of modesty on your part......even if you are dead on right!!!!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 14:13   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,856
Thanked: 15,418 Times
Default

Anybody care to explain what is MJ CJ etc.,
Does it stand for Micheal JAckson, Janet Jackson(I think I did not see a JJ).. .etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 14:20   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody care to explain what is MJ CJ etc.,
Does it stand for Micheal JAckson, Janet Jackson(I think I did not see a JJ).. .etc.,
CJ=Civil Jeep
MJ=Clueless?
TJ,YJ,WJ???????

Last edited by akshay4587 : 21st September 2008 at 14:21.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 14:53   #19
BHPian
 
potlaravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL MO
Posts: 148
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody care to explain what is MJ CJ etc.,
Does it stand for Micheal JAckson, Janet Jackson(I think I did not see a JJ).. .etc.,
MOD,Even i am waiting for explanation. so that i cap post my views, Believe me I am looking in Abbreviations in FAQ’s. I did even find them , Hope some one can help ,
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 16:58   #20
BHPian
 
RuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody care to explain what is MJ CJ etc.,
Does it stand for Micheal JAckson, Janet Jackson(I think I did not see a JJ).. .etc.,
@ tsk1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
CJ=Civil Jeep
MJ=Clueless?
TJ,YJ,WJ???????
evolution of the "Jeep"

ZJ,WJ,CJ,TJ,YJ,XJ,MJ = are the diff platforms of the Jeep Models.
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 17:35   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anybody care to explain what is MJ CJ etc.,
Does it stand for Micheal JAckson, Janet Jackson(I think I did not see a JJ).. .etc.,
I will take a whack at it.

MJ is a / was a nice 4x4 Jeep pickup from America. When Chrysler took over Jeep Corp. they discontiued it because it was competing, too well some say, with Chryler's own pickup.
The one here has been lifted and given big tyres.
CJ is an American jeep similar to mm550 that was discontinued due to heavy litigation filed by its owners who kept tipping over in it and blaming Jeep Corporation. Jeep sold one version of it with a small v-8 and it was a great vehicle if you were careful with it. There was a Golden Eagle, a large American raptor, painted on the bonnet of their up scale version of the cj. If you can imagine an mm550 with a 200 bhp engine that could out accelerate most cars on the road and climb cliffs off-road, you've got the idea. The Wrangler replaced it. Less power, lower, less apt to roll over, less court appearances.
Attached Images
    
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 18:04   #22
BHPian
 
RuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I will take a whack at it.

MJ is a / was a nice 4x4 Jeep pickup from America. When Chrysler took over Jeep Corp. they discontiued it because it was competing, too well some say, with Chryler's own pickup.
The one here has been lifted and given big tyres.
CJ is an American jeep similar to mm550 that was discontinued due to heavy litigation filed by its owners who kept tipping over in it and blaming Jeep Corporation. Jeep sold one version of it with a small v-8 and it was a great vehicle if you were careful with it. There was a Golden Eagle, a large American raptor, painted on the bonnet of their up scale version of the cj. If you can imagine an mm550 with a 200 bhp engine that could out accelerate most cars on the road and climb cliffs off-road, you've got the idea. The Wrangler replaced it. Less power, lower, less apt to roll over, less court appearances.
@ DirtyDan that is a nice walk thru..and nice pics too..
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 18:28   #23
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
@ tsk1979
evolution of the "Jeep"
ZJ,WJ,CJ,TJ,YJ,XJ,MJ = are the diff platforms of the Jeep Models.
So, whats the Platform used for Wrangler Rubicon (TJ I guess)..
IMO, Rubicon trim under Wrangler series would be the best Jeep as far as pure off-roading is concerened as it has got a T'Case with 4.10:1 Low gear ratio & under body protection.

For best On & Off-road use I think Cherokee Series will be a winner here, for their day-to-day practicality
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 20:47   #24
BHPian
 
RuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
So, whats the Platform used for Wrangler Rubicon (TJ I guess)..
IMO, Rubicon trim under Wrangler series would be the best Jeep as far as pure off-roading is concerened as it has got a T'Case with 4.10:1 Low gear ratio & under body protection.

For best On & Off-road use I think Cherokee Series will be a winner here, for their day-to-day practicality
Bingo @ offroad_maniac..the Rubicon is a TJ, intoduced by jeep in 2003 and named after the infamous or rather famous rubicon trail..

Justin Timberlake drives around in one of those now a days..
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 20:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,890
Thanked: 2,316 Times
Default

Jeep Wrangler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 21:03   #26
Ram
Senior - BHPian
 
Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore, Mumbai, Nagpur
Posts: 2,164
Thanked: 139 Times
Default "Jeep" is an eponym

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Hmmm why are the vehicles only from the Jeep brand?
Because "There's only one Jeep"! and then the "me-too" jeeps.

Trailblazing products created famous brands.
These brand names generically and eponymously represent the entire class of product.

Here are some examples:

The term Tempo, was originally a brand of Vidal & Sohn Tempo-Werke GmbH of Hamburg, Germany. They produced a 3-wheeled truck called the Hanseat. In 1958, Bajaj purchased a license to assemble these in India. These 3 wheelers were joined by a van with 4 wheels -- India's first front-wheel-drive vehicle.
That was the Tempo Viking with a 2-stroke petrol engine. The diesel variant that followed -- the Tempo Matador became famous all over India.

This class of vehicle regardless of 3-wheeled or 4-wheeled version manufactured by Tata, Mahindra, ...
is still known in India as a "Tempo". I have even heard common folk eponymize Matador.
e.g., Tata 407 "Me-ta-dor"

"Xerox" invented the photocopier and became a generic name.
"Thermos" was the most famous brand of vaccuum flask.
Other eponymous brands are:
Johnson & Johnson's "Band-Aid",
3M's "Scotch Tape",
"Velcro"'s hook and loop fasteners,
Otis's "Escalator" power-driven stairs is another,
Chesebrough-Pond's "Vaseline" petroleum jelly
Sony's "Walkman"

What about Jeep?
In 1939 Willys-Overland introduced the world to the little 1/4-ton 4x4 truck utility, now famous as the "Jeep".
Ownership of the brand migrated to Kaiser-Willys, AMC, Chrysler and Daimler-Chrysler. In India we even had Mahindra Jeeps.
My 1988 Mahindra MM540 came with a riveted aluminum "Jeep" logo plate.
When ownership of the Jeep brand passed from AMC to Chrysler, Chrysler discouraged Mahindra's use of the label "Jeep" and later Mahindras dropped the "Jeep" logo.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 21:46   #27
BHPian
 
vikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 149
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

here you go -

Wrangler JK (2007 - Present): Total new redesign of the Wrangler platform offering an even more improved ride and interior comfort. Gone is the 4.0HO Inline 6 and it's replaced with a new 3.8L V6 engine. Plastic front fenders and grill. Coil Sprung 5 link suspension. 95.4" wheel base. 5 on 5" rim bolt pattern. Three Piece Modular hardtop. Power windows and door locks options with side air curtains.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Wrangler JK Unlimited (2007 - Present): Total new redesign of the Wrangler platform offering an even more improved ride and interior comfort. Gone is the 4.0HO Inline 6 and it's replaced with a new 3.8L V6 engine. Plastic front fenders and grill with 4 doors. Coil sprung 5 link suspension. 116" wheelbase. 5 on 5" rim bolt pattern. Four piece modular hardtop. Power windows and door locks options with side air curtains.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrangler TJ Unlimited ('04 - '06): Windshield width 55". Round headlights. Center Tailgate mounted spare tire carrier with brake light. Tailgate opens to the side. 103.4" Wheel base. Coil spring 5 link suspension. Equipped with both driver and passenger side air bags. 5"x4.5" rim bolt pattern.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Wrangler TJ ('97 - '06): Windshield width 55". Round headlights. Center Tailgate mounted spare tire carrier with brake light. Tailgate opens to the side. Measures 81" from door hinge of vehicle. 93.4" wheelbase. Coil spring 5 link suspension. Equipped with both driver and passenger side air bags. 5"x4.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrangler YJ ('92 - '95): Same as Wrangler models '86 1/2 - '91 except for extended rear sport bar to accommodate rear 3 point seat belts. 93.4" wheelbase 5"x4.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrangler YJ ('86-1/2 - '91): Windshield width 55", round fender Jeep, one-piece windshield, factory roll bar with horizontal supports. Similar in design to CJ7, but with rectangular headlights and turn signal lights, and a squared off front grille. Comes with either half or full hard doors. Measures 81" from door hinge to rear of vehicle. 93.4" wheelbase. 5"x4.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ8 ('81 - '85): Windshield width 55", round fender Jeep, one piece windshield, factory roll bar, bottom mounted windshield wipers, factory mounted door hinges, has either no windshield retainer or screw-in design. Door opening looks like a "U" rather than an inverted "S". CJ8 is same as basic CJ7 but with longer rear over hang and 103.5" wheelbase. 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ7 ('76 - '86): Windshield width 55", round fender Jeep, one piece windshield, factory roll bar, bottom mounted windshield wipers, factory mounted door hinges, has either no windshield retainer or screw-in design. Door opening looks like a "U" rather than an inverted "S". Measures 81" from door hinge to rear of vehicle. 93.5" wheelbase. CJ8 is same as basic CJ7 but with longer rear over hang and 103.5" wheelbase. 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ6 ('55 - '75): Windshield width 59", round fender Jeep, one piece windshield, no factory door hinges, windshield retainer welded on vehicle, windshield at 90° angle to hood. CJ6 is the same basic vehicle as an early model CJ5 except with an extended rear body tub and 101" wheelbase for '55-'71 and 103" wheelbase for '72-'75. 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ5 ('76 - '83):Windshield width 55", round fender Jeep, one piece windshield, factory roll bar, bottom mounted windshield wipers, factory mounted door hinges, windshield retainer screws on, sloped windshield. Measures 71 1/2" from door hinge to rear of vehicle. 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern. 83.5" wheelbase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
M38A1 ('51 - '71) & CJ5 ('55 - '75): M38 with 80" Wheelbase and CJ5 with 81" wheelbase. Windshield width 59", round fender Jeep, one piece windshield, no factory door hinges, windshield retainer welded on vehicle, windshield at 90° angle to hood. CJ6 is the same basic vehicle as an early model CJ5 except with an extended rear body tub and 101" wheelbase for '55-'71 and 103" wheelbase for '72-'75. 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ3B ('53 - '64): Windshield height 22 1/2", hood height 10 1/2" (fender to top of hood), one-piece windshield, has tailgate, bottom mounted windshield wipers, side mounted tire carrier (factory). 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern. 80" Wheelbase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ3A & M38 ('48 - '53): Windshield height 27", flat fenders, one piece windshield, vent in middle of windshield (factory), bottom mounted windshield wipers, hood height 6" (fender to top of hood). 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern. 80" Wheelbase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CJ2A & M38 ('46 - '49): Windshield height 25", flat fenders, split windshield, has tailgate, top mounted windshield wipers, side mounted spare tire (factory), hood height 6" (fender to top of hood). 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern. 80" Wheelbase.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Willys MB & Ford GPW ('41 - '45): Windshield height 23", flat fenders, split windshield, no tailgate, recessed headlights top mounted windshield wipers, rear mounted spare tire (factory), hood height 6" (fender to top of hood). 5"x5.5" rim bolt pattern. 80" Wheelbase. The Willys chassis front cross-member is tubular, while the Ford GPW is an inverted U shape. The GPW tends to also have a Scripted F on all sub assemblies and bolts if factory.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Commando C104('72 - '73): Jeep roadster with either a full soft top, a half hardtop forming a truck. Wheel base is 104" forming the model number. AMC strayed away from the traditional Jeep front end design. Often mistaken for an International Harvester or Ford Bronco.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeepster Commando C101('67 - '71): Jeep roadster with either a full soft top, a half hardtop forming a truck. Wheel base is 101" forming the model number.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeepster VJ('48 - '51): 2wd convertable sports car Jeep produced by Willys Overland on the 4-63 chassis (Willys 4x2 wagon).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dispatch Jeep DJ5 & DJ6 ('65 -' 82): The DJ-5 was introduced in 1965 which is the postal Jeep most people are familiar with today. They also produced a long version from 1965 until 1968, the DJ-6. The DJ-5 was made by Jeep into the early 70s and production continued under AM General till 1982. All DJ models were 2wd.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dispatch Jeep DJ3 ('56 - '65): The DJ-3A was a flat fender postal Jeep similar to the CJ-3A except it was two wheel drive. It was produced from 1956 until 1965. All DJ models were 2wd.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------




Jeep Cherokee XJ ('84 - '01): An entirely new concept when it was released as it was the first uni-body Jeep vehicle. It had no frame and the suspension was attached directly to the subframe. It also was the first coil spring Jeep with the same system copied to the TJ and the ZJ and later on transformed into the WJ, WK Grand Cherokee's. It was available in both two and four door configurations. A common misconception is though that the two door version had a shorter wheelbase than the four door but in reality, they were the same measurements.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Liberty ('02 - '07 KJ): With the demise of the Cherokee Jeep released a new vehicle in 2002 with IFS and more modern comforts. The liberty returned to the round headlight look and offered many versions in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. In 2005 it was offered with CRD Diesel motor that was later discontinued for emission reasons. In Europe the Liberty was marketed as the Cherokee.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Liberty (2008 - Present KK): The 2008 model year Liberty was a totally new platform offering a more comfortable ride, more room and new rugged styling. Also released was the all new Sky View retractable top to give the Liberty owner a taste of the Wrangler experience.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Grand Cherokee ('93 - '98 ZJ): Larger than the XJ Cherokee and optionally equipped with a v8 engine the Grand Cherokee ZJ is a power house. The first Jeep vehicle to use the Quadra-Coil design later translated over to the TJ Wrangler suspension system. Equipped with an optional Quadra-trac II transfer four-wheel drive system this Jeep become an instant hit on the highway and the trail.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeep Grand Cherokee ('99 - '04 WJ): The replacement for the ZJ with more modern lines and increased interior space by sinking the spare tire under the cargo area floor.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005 - Present WK): A redesigned platform that went away from the solid front axle and to IFS. The new Grand Cherokee also featured the option of the Hemi 5.7L v8 engine and introduced the
Jeep SRT 8 Grand Cherokee. A vehicle that could literally be taken from the trail to the track in terms of performance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Commander (2006 - Present XK): Built on the WK platform the drive trains are nearly identical. This is the first 7 passenger vehicle by Jeep and is very reminiscent of the XJ platform with its boxy front end and very angular body lines.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Compass MK(2007 - Present): Front Wheel Drive Jeep with variable speed transmission. Uses a four-cylinder 2.4L engine. The base car features front wheel drive, but a choice of two elec.-controlled drive systems is optional; Freedom Drive I is a full-time system for on-road use. Freedom Drive II is made for off-road use with variable torque between speeds of 25 and 65 mph for optimal handling.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeep Patriot MK (2007 - Present): Based off of the Compass Platform with many of the same features. The base car features front wheel drive, but a choice of two elec.-controlled drive systems is optional; Freedom Drive I is a full-time system for on-road use. Freedom Drive II is made for off-road use with variable torque between speeds of 25 and 65 mph for optimal handling.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Last edited by Samurai : 21st September 2008 at 22:55. Reason: removed font tags
vikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 22:55   #28
BHPian
 
RuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikid View Post
here you go -

Wrangler JK (2007 - Present): Total new redesign of the Wrangler platform offering an even more improved ride and interior comfort. Gone is the 4.0HO Inline 6 and it's replaced with a new 3.8L V6 engine. Plastic front fenders and grill. Coil Sprung 5 link suspension. 95.4" wheel base. 5 on 5" rim bolt pattern. -------------------------------------------------------
Wow...thanx vikid...bodly going where no man has gone before..cheers:
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 22:57   #29
BHPian
 
RuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 285
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Because "There's only one Jeep"! and then the "me-too" jeeps.

Trailblazing products created famous brands.
These brand names generically and eponymously represent the entire class of product.

Here are some examples:

The term Tempo, was originally a brand of Vidal & Sohn Tempo-Werke GmbH of Hamburg, Germany. They produced a 3-wheeled truck called the Hanseat. In 1958, Bajaj purchased a license to assemble these in India. These 3 wheelers were joined by a van with 4 wheels -- India's first front-wheel-drive vehicle.
That was the Tempo Viking with a 2-stroke petrol engine. The diesel variant that followed -- the Tempo Matador became famous all over India.

This class of vehicle regardless of 3-wheeled or 4-wheeled version manufactured by Tata, Mahindra, ...
is still known in India as a "Tempo". I have even heard common folk eponymize Matador.
e.g., Tata 407 "Me-ta-dor"

"Xerox" invented the photocopier and became a generic name.
"Thermos" was the most famous brand of vaccuum flask.
Other eponymous brands are:
Johnson & Johnson's "Band-Aid",
3M's "Scotch Tape",
"Velcro"'s hook and loop fasteners,
Otis's "Escalator" power-driven stairs is another,
Chesebrough-Pond's "Vaseline" petroleum jelly
Sony's "Walkman"

What about Jeep?
In 1939 Willys-Overland introduced the world to the little 1/4-ton 4x4 truck utility, now famous as the "Jeep".
Ownership of the brand migrated to Kaiser-Willys, AMC, Chrysler and Daimler-Chrysler. In India we even had Mahindra Jeeps.
My 1988 Mahindra MM540 came with a riveted aluminum "Jeep" logo plate.
When ownership of the Jeep brand passed from AMC to Chrysler, Chrysler discouraged Mahindra's use of the label "Jeep" and later Mahindras dropped the "Jeep" logo.
Thanx for the detailed info on that Ram..gosh did not know so many things about eponym's,,,
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:02   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,994
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default

Ram,

How do you maintain such a diversity of information in your neurons ?!!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Jeep under 1 lakh and a good off-roader!! ronaldfurtado 4x4 Vehicles 13 1st April 2009 20:06
Off-roader/on-roader dwaraka Introduce yourself 9 14th November 2006 23:48
Potentiel Off Roader Tom Modifications & Accessories 12 18th June 2004 00:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks