Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 15:28   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

You have conquered one of the most 'sensitive challenges' (read wife's interest) to indulge into jeep and off-roading. Now that the jeep is getting back to its glory, pictures will be highly wanted on day to day basis. Keep posting those.
Kandisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 16:10   #77
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,003
Thanked: 21,581 Times
Default

While you guys are trying to get your wives to drive your Jeeps, I just remembered something interesting. The 3 speed Mahindra diesel Jeep was the vehicle my mother learnt to drive on - sometime in the early 60s. She's 64 now. Don't know why, but, she's against me getting a Jeep.
Just found out. My grandmother learnt on a Jeep as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2008 at 17:27.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 17:12   #78
Newbie
 
Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 16
Thanked: Once
Default

Hey i also need some advice about How to convince spouse to drive a jeep.
Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 18:12   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,307 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The 3 speed Mahindra diesel Jeep was the vehicle my mother learnt to drive on
My mother learned on a CJ500 as well. My dad only had two jeeps at that time. The CJ500 and a American Jeep Wagoneer he bought from a British National who was moving back to England after selling his estates in India. That chap also had a Landrover LWB. My dad pleaded with him to sell him the Landrover, but he was hell bent on taking the Landy back with him to england. My dad eventually bought an Tata/Merc Army truck at an auction and put replaced the Jeeps petrol engine (inline 6, if I recall) and replaced it with the 6 cylynder Tata/Merc lorry engine. If you guys recall the older Tata lorries that came with the rounded fenders and not the newer ones with the squared fenders. Yes.. Jeep madness runs in the family. I'll post some pics of my Dad's Jeep Wagoneer after I scan them. Unfortunately he sold it when I was still to young to appreciate jeeps, since he had a lot of trouble sourcing spares.
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 18:14   #80
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
She's 64 now. Don't know why, but, she's against me getting a Jeep. Just found out. My grandmother learnt on a Jeep as well.
Tell her you want to continue the family tradition, Jeeping is in your genes, etc.

PS: I didn't know Mahindra made diesel Jeeps in the 60s. I know they were making petrol Jeeps for Willys then.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 18:45   #81
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,003
Thanked: 21,581 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tell her you want to continue the family tradition, Jeeping is in your genes, etc.

PS: I didn't know Mahindra made diesel Jeeps in the 60s. I know they were making petrol Jeeps for Willys then.
Must be a petrol, then. It had a 3 speed gearbox, that's all she told me.
She thinks my Jeep craze will die after I get one and use it for a few months. Didn't happen with the Contessa. I still love the car and enjoy driving it. Guess, I'll have to do what you did - buy the vehicle first and then tell her.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 11:06   #82
BHPian
 
Sabareesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ambarnath
Posts: 328
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Must be a petrol, then. It had a 3 speed gearbox, that's all she told me.
She thinks my Jeep craze will die after I get one and use it for a few months. Didn't happen with the Contessa. I still love the car and enjoy driving it. Guess, I'll have to do what you did - buy the vehicle first and then tell her.
It must be the legendry CJ3B with the F-134 Hurricane engine.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:02   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Talking

@Aditya and 4x4 addict: Those were nice tales about jeeps. My mom learnt driving in the jeep and i still remember the number of times the vehicle used to stall when she would let go of the clutch. Back at home any lady wants to learn driving then its the jeep in some open field and well if its a guy then we prefer the tractor

And talking about jeep rebuilding well buddy best of luck as i just remembered that my 540 is currently undergoing a body job and a entire new paint job. It will be mostly done in a month or so. So currently hoping for the best
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:17   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
And talking about jeep rebuilding well buddy best of luck as i just remembered that my 540 is currently undergoing a body job and a entire new paint job. It will be mostly done in a month or so. So currently hoping for the best
Aha,
One more 540 rebuilding is on the way. How about some description along with pics
Kandisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 14:35   #85
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My dad eventually bought an Tata/Merc Army truck at an auction and put replaced the Jeeps petrol engine (inline 6, if I recall) and replaced it with the 6 cylynder Tata/Merc lorry engine. If you guys recall the older Tata lorries that came with the rounded fenders and not the newer ones with the squared fenders.
OT: Tata 1210 SE? I think the current 1613 SE retains that shape but the fenders are not as rounded as the 1210's.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 19:47   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,307 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
OT: Tata 1210 SE? I think the current 1613 SE retains that shape but the fenders are not as rounded as the 1210's.
I am referring to this model. Don't recall what it was called.

Name:  tata_merc.jpg
Views: 4440
Size:  15.0 KB
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 20:40   #87
BHPian
 
star_aqua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 612
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am referring to this model. Don't recall what it was called.

Attachment 65130
It is called as 1210D.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 22:14   #88
BHPian
 
MM440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am referring to this model. Don't recall what it was called.
Hey that is the old TMB 3 tonner. We used to go for picnics in it when I was in school.awesome machine. They would take the canvas top off and we would sit on the frame when we used to go to Bannerghatta,pearl valley and other places.
Sadly one was smashed by a train when it broke down on a level crossing. The replacement we got was a later shaktiman which was not quite as war horse looking.Though it does have a very rugged look.
cheers
jammy
MM440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:18   #89
BHPian
 
Sabareesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ambarnath
Posts: 328
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

I know this question may be of least importance right now, but just a thought... Can I plonk a Simpsons S4 Engine in my CJ 500 D ???

My uncle runs a Garage in Trivandrum, he has got a conked - off Mahindra FJ 740 DS4 High-Roof Van which has been retired from its School Bus Services. The Original Engine and Gearbox are intact. He has offered me to take the Engine and Gearbox if required as he is going to scrap the vehicle.

Here is a pic of the FJ 740 High Roof :-



Image Courtesy - auto.indiamart.com

Though I won't be doing any major modifications in the vehicle right now but at least 6 - 8 months down the line, I can think about it.

Now my questions :-

1. Is the Engine a direct fit on CJ 500D or are any modifications to the engine mounts required ??

2. Would the Engine match the 3 Speed Gearbox of CJ 500D or will i have to add the gearbox of FJ 740 to my JEEP ?

3. Last and most important question... Can the 4 Wheel Drive retained with any of the above mentioned permutation combinations ??

Any suggestions in this regards would be greatly helpful.
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 11:03   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
vinod_nookala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
I know this question may be of least importance right now, but just a thought... Can I plonk a Simpsons S4 Engine in my CJ 500 D ???

My uncle runs a Garage in Trivandrum, he has got a conked - off Mahindra FJ 740 DS4 High-Roof Van which has been retired from its School Bus Services. The Original Engine and Gearbox are intact. He has offered me to take the Engine and Gearbox if required as he is going to scrap the vehicle.

Here is a pic of the FJ 740 High Roof :-


Image Courtesy - auto.indiamart.com


Though I won't be doing any major modifications in the vehicle right now but at least 6 - 8 months down the line, I can think about it.

Now my questions :-

1. Is the Engine a direct fit on CJ 500D or are any modifications to the engine mounts required ??

2. Would the Engine match the 3 Speed Gearbox of CJ 500D or will i have to add the gearbox of FJ 740 to my JEEP ?

3. Last and most important question... Can the 4 Wheel Drive retained with any of the above mentioned permutation combinations ??

Any suggestions in this regards would be greatly helpful.

Hi,
Good luck with your restoration of jeep-

1. P4 engine or simpsons s4 engine is a good choice. It is about 3000 cc in displacement and generates about 65 hp and about 20-22 kgm torque. Iam not sure about engine mountings but i have seen Mahindra jeeps fitted with S4 engines from factory

2. 3 speed gear box is a straight fit and you dont have to forego 4wd. I have driven a jeep with such combination and the jeep was flying!

3. This is a very torquey engine and silent in operation. The only problem could be parts availability.

I feel it is definately a better choice compared to your current international engine.

regards

Vinod
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jonga 4x4 or M&M Jeep CJ3B 4x4 gd1418 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 49 24th May 2013 13:57
Gypsy and CJ3B Jeep website - worth a look Rtech The Indian Car Scene 12 3rd March 2012 21:21
Look what I found - 4.2 > 5.7! My Jaguar S-Type R Steeroid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 94 19th April 2009 20:15
Some Pics of a vicious looking Jeep - US Army look alike - High Bonnet shankar.balan 4x4 Vehicles 14 1st December 2008 18:21
Where to look for old Padmini/Fiat/Amby/Jeep CL - petrol or Disel mohandas Sedans 0 15th March 2008 10:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks