Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 12th January 2009, 20:34   #106
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Anyone heard of "jeep bottom"? It is a medical condition. Google it for the gory details
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:17   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
many Classic owners here would have noticed my bonnet hooks, wire wheels and few other stuffs on my Classic turned black from original chrome finish, the reasons are:
Yeah, the chrome alloys are a nightmare to maintain. I was contemplating on painting them a dull black myself. And then I saw the perfect set of alloys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Actually I was thinking in that line to paint the wells with black color.
You should get an underbody coating in black. Will keep rust at bay and look better as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Each time for the next 48 hours each muscle in my body ached, I was temporarily deaf, I did not have any sensation in my bum - it felt as if it didnt exist, my eyes could not see anything clearly, my hair had become brittle and i used up a full bottle of shampoo to clean them and i could not smell anything - everything smelt like the exhaust gas from the trucks.
C'mon Spitfire! That's surely an exaggeration! I have done the Bombay - Goa (600 kms to South Goa) and while the Jeep tires you out, it wasn't that bad. I didn't have any body ache at all, but the NVH and limited top speed make even a 100 km stretch seem that much longer (Slow noisy progress). In '97, we had an 800 (SS80 model) and I preferred using the Jeep over the 800 on highways. It felt much better planted and was a joy over bad roads.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:26   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Anyone heard of "jeep bottom"? It is a medical condition. Google it for the gory details
doc. Considering the huge numbers of jeepers here, I am sure you will find many tail happy visiters to your clinic

On a more serious note, my jeeping experience has been very short. After ruining 2 800s while going to our farm(where every visit meant getting down and pushing the 800 out of the slush) we decided to get a jeep.
Visited mahindra dealer, and 5 minutes of test drive proved jeeps are not for us. So in came the Gypsy
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:47   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
C'mon Spitfire! That's surely an exaggeration!
The Bomaby - Goa road has a lot of tree shade on the stretch. The humidity is high so its not dry heat. The truck traffic is much lesser then we have on NH4. The road is even quite scenic.

I even drove the Classic from Goa to Pune and i wasnt as half dead as this.

On the Goa - Bangalore highway there is no shade after the 4 laning happened. Its a very dry and barren road. After you leave bangalore right uptil Dharwad when you take the road into the ghat. Leaving out small places like Haveri and others there is no respite from the sun. Also durng this time there were a million diversion on that road as the 4 laning was going on. These diversions were nothing but dust pits filled with the finest gravel. Also the truck traffic on NH4 is much much more then the Goa - Mumbai road. And they surely drive at a faster pace then the Classic.

Then the Anmod Ghat, there are so many mining trucks on that route each driving like a bat from hell with the soil/gravel/ore flying all around that if you are not in an enclosed vehicle you are done for. Lets forget the condition of that road in 2004-05. Member who have been down that route will know what i am talking about.

There is another JT member from Goa who has done the trip as me in his Classic.

I still think the all enclosing and AC(ok if you can call it that) environment of the 800 was much more comfortable then the Classic on that route.

I have never since driven it on that route again in the Classic. I now use a Bolero.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th January 2009 at 11:50.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:02   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Though my dream of owning one Mahindra Classic came true, but doing real off-road with a Jeep was still in a distance. My friend’s newly build JEEP didn’t arrive as expected hence I was waiting unwillingly for some times. I took decisive to try out my off-road activities in the nearby areas of Velachery in Chennai.

It was on a dry season hence the lake bed near to my house was almost arid and the clay in the lake bed looked like rocks. Due to the bulldozer’s work on the lake bed during the rain season left uneven accumulation of clay everywhere in the lake. I, my cousin and my three and half year old son are the three who posed our first every off-road with the Mahindra Classic after restoration.

At first I took the jeep into the clay bed and with in few minutes of trail my jeeps tyres were caught and started spinning, it took some time to understand that I shouldn’t press hard on the accelerator while doing the off-road like this in the hard surface. Finally few forward and reverser gears with the help of left and right turn of steering released the tyres from where it was trapped.
Name:  Picture_scan 258.jpg
Views: 3448
Size:  22.6 KB
Unfortunately I forgot to carry a camera and mobile was running out of battery for videos/photos. In any case we attempted to capture our first attempt, though the video was not in full length here is shows my first attempt to claim on a clay dune.

That was the end of the off-road attempt. Later in the next week I got to notice my friend’s jeep entering into the parking lot where I used to park my Jeep in the office. A ray of hope in my eyes as getting a partner to go to off-road is really a great stuff. We rolled our plans for the forth coming weekend to do off-road at the beach. (Some say beach drive is not an off-road but I believe it is)
Name:  IMG_4112.JPG
Views: 2866
Size:  12.4 KB
It was an evening when we both went and did off-road on the beach; both of us didn’t have prior experience also not sure if we get trapped in the beach how to come out etc. Anyway we put the pains to the Jeep god and first I started driving the Jeep in to the sand, Hurray it was not as scary as I thought but realize the stress that the Jeep engine had. After couple of minutes of my Jeep doing the beach play, we decided to bring my friend’s newly build MM540 but for our luck the 4WD engager failed and we couldn’t bring the jeep into the sand.
Name:  IMG_4128.JPG
Views: 3154
Size:  10.9 KB
My friend did few rounds of sand drive with my jeep, later in the evening both the jeeps were driven back to home.

That’s the starting of my Jeeping exercise and it continued till today, I hope the same will happen in the future too. From the day one when I located my Mahindra Classic, I’m keeping a blog dedicated for the updations that goes around my Jeep and my Jeeping. The Jeep has served me for long travel (I have driven the jeep for 750kms in two days), rescue (the recent chennai flood is the classical example and the Jeep saved my entire family and many other in Velachery) and offroad trips.
Name:  IMG_4244.JPG
Views: 2810
Size:  41.3 KB

The Kelambakkam quarry turned out to be my first offroad training spot as Patrick of JT thought me really valuable lessons practically on the engine breaking and gearing etc.
Name:  DSC_6802.JPG
Views: 2827
Size:  114.7 KB
JAWADHU HILLS, TADA and Kelambakkam were the finest off-road location I have been with my jeep till date and the Videos of this off-road are as published in the YouTube here:

I sincerely thank all the T-BHPians here and those who have appreciated me for my writing in spite of all the errors.

Here are some of the pictures that I like:
Name:  DSC_6771.JPG
Views: 2837
Size:  140.3 KB
Name:  DSC_6715.JPG
Views: 2792
Size:  141.2 KB
Name:  2898093508_484acccf62.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  188.5 KB
Name:  IMG_5458.JPG
Views: 2651
Size:  27.8 KB
Name:  3016722176_ef38e6dccb.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  91.0 KB
Name:  3016874004_93b143c6a2.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  65.4 KB

-Story Ends here but Off the road trips continues-

Last edited by trammway : 13th January 2009 at 12:14.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

***** - Execellent

What else can anyone saw about story writing skills. And of course the Jeep itelf :-)

Since the suspense is over, please post some exclusive pics of 'Explorer', Under Hood, Interior (if thats whats its called in a open Jeep), and some bigger RES pics.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:41   #112
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful piece of narration and nothing else to say about your writing skills. Simply amazing. And yes, some nice and bigger pics please
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 13:01   #113
BHPian

Default Great one there!!

Hey Trammy!!

A great writeup and excellent narration there.

I felt like everythings been happening just in front of my eyes.

You should seriously think on taking up some kinda writing work, say a novel.

Can we expect a great travelogue if you are going for the Munnar OTR?

cheers:

Vinay Rathore
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 13:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi trammway,

An excellent narrative with amazing pics, it was like watching all the episodes of suspense thriller in one go.

You have made yourself an excellent ride, make me almost sell my mHawk and get myself a Classic (my wife hates the Scorpio & is absolutely in love with the open jeeps).

Your passion for the Classic shows in the final product that you have made for yourself despite your busy schedules (I can understand the work home balance that would have been put to test, being an IT guy myself).

I too have been brought up on the jeeps since my father was also working for the government and had jeeps as his official ride during his career since he had to do a lot of travelling to places in the hills of north India where there were no roads.

The 3 gear lever in those 4x4's never failed to amaze me & as a child I thought the smallest lever was called the Hanuman Gear which was meant to climb vertical walls aka. batman style. (this misinformation was by the drivers who used to be my best friends in days)

You are an inspiration to all of us who are still sitting on the fence making jeeps in their dreams.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Good story trammway. Fantastic effort put into owning your favourite vehicle.

The paint job looks pathetic in the pics. More like a lorry painter's job. I am sure it deserves a little better paint work.

I saw your Jeep in the kelambakkam off road. Did you have it repainted then ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Good story trammway. Fantastic effort put into owning your favourite vehicle.

The paint job looks pathetic in the pics. More like a lorry painter's job. I am sure it deserves a little better paint work.

I saw your Jeep in the kelambakkam off road. Did you have it repainted then ?

Not sure, which photo made you think like that, anyway it was painted by those who also paint lorries ;-)

This jeep was painted only once and as you have gone through the series of posts, the kelambakkam quarry where you have seen me is immediately after my restoration job, so first time paint.

I think probably the low res pics posted here with blurred effect shows you a bad paint work alike.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 14:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the images I am talking about. Why would he paint the shocks ? I think he took the literal meaning of painting the town red with your jeep. lol
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 15:15   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

This is one of the images I am talking about. Why would he paint the shocks ? I think he took the literal meaning of painting the town red with your jeep. lol
Good catch! I never looked at it, as I was always in a mood to change them from day one.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interestingly, the trailer is within another trailer.

It is actually it is parked in a truck, which was also auctioned from army.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image217.jpg
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:07   #120
Senior - BHPian

Once in a while I get email, comment or message from some unknown person appricating my jeep build.

My Mahindra Classic is grabbed attention from Internation Auto Magazines, Sites and People.

Here are few for TBHPians view.

Mahindra Utility : Classic passion

Jeep Thrills visits the Jawadhu Hills | eWillys

Offroad Poland - Polish Magazine featured our Jawadhu hills trip under a title - Offroad in India duing December 2008.
Their site (translated using google) shows the article title they covered.

Translated version of http://www.new.off-road.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=273:1 2-100-2008&catid=51:numery

I'm unfortunate enough not able to read what was written on the article. We got a hard copy of the magazine however not sure what is there in it. Since no online version made available the translation also became impossible.

I have picture of the magazine article, but not sure if it is good to share here due to copyrights.