Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 22nd April 2009, 12:33   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
Hey Randeep. Please let me know how much did the ISUJU Engine cost you? and was it a brand new engine
Hi USR,

Well the Isuzu engine and gearbox were not brand new. These are imported engines that come in bulk from Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong etc. These engines have hardly done 30-35k kms.

I picked up the engine and 4WD gearbox for 65K.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

@Randeep....this engine is too clean for a jeep . All the best on ur restoration, waiting for the final product.

Last edited by jacs : 22nd April 2009 at 12:58.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:46   #213
Senior - BHPian

Randeep,
The PCD on MM550's were of two sizes, The one fitted with the army rim on your jeep and the other with a wider pitch which in came later models. As your alloys went directly on the stock hubs, can you specify what PCD is it.
Can you source the same alloys for me?
Regards,
Fazal
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:57   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Randeep,
The PCD on MM550's were of two sizes, The one fitted with the army rim on your jeep and the other with a wider pitch which in came later models. As your alloys went directly on the stock hubs, can you specify what PCD is it.
Can you source the same alloys for me?
Regards,
Fazal
Hi Fazal,

As mentioned earlier my alloys did not fit directly on the stock hubs. I got plates made for them. My Jeeps PCD was 139.7 where as the alloys were 160 PCD. So I got plates made where on on side it has holes for the plate to fit on the stock hubs where as on the otherside it has bolts for my alloys to fit on. The thickness of the plate is 1.25".

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:07   #215
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Latest update is that the fenders and bonnet were temporarily fitted and measured, now work to extend them is in full swing. Once this is done the front diff would be moved forward and then the Jeep goes to the paint booth.

Cheers !!!!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:49   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Fazal,

As mentioned earlier my alloys did not fit directly on the stock hubs. I got plates made for them. My Jeeps PCD was 139.7 where as the alloys were 160 PCD. So I got plates made where on on side it has holes for the plate to fit on the stock hubs where as on the otherside it has bolts for my alloys to fit on. The thickness of the plate is 1.25".

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Randeep,
Thanks, I missed out the part you had mentioned earlier, re. adapter plate.
Is it possible to source the same alloys for me or if you can direct me to the retailer, it would be a great help.
Regards,
Fazal
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:57   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Randeep,
Thanks, I missed out the part you had mentioned earlier, re. adapter plate.
Is it possible to source the same alloys for me or if you can direct me to the retailer, it would be a great help.
Regards,
Fazal
Not an issue Fazal, I have sent you a PM mentioning the details of the dealer. Please have a look.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:10   #218
fk7
BHPian

wow.. your jeep now looks fantabulous. Man it looks mean. Now I also need this.

I need to ask you something. What is the weight of a army rim + sand grip tyre. And what is the weight of your new rims and mudzilla tyre?

I'm asking this because I'm worried of the difference of weight.

I have another question for the gurus or even you can ask your mamaji, please.

Do the engine and transmission have any relation to tyres? That is, can I put these rim and tyres on an MM550 with XD3P engine with the only modification being an adapter plate and nothing else?

Regards

Firoz
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Do the engine and transmission have any relation to tyres? That is, can I put these rim and tyres on an MM550 with XD3P engine with the only modification being an adapter plate and nothing else?
Those are what, 31" tires?
I think they wouldn't give you much trouble at all, that is if your still using the stock crown/pinion. The Army tires are probably the same height, maybe even an inch more, therefore they'll be just fine, and i don't think you'll feel in difference in the power delivery of the motor. All you have to check is the front steering limit bolts on the front axle tube, which you would have to set so that the tires don't rub against the leaf springs when you take a turn.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:46   #220
Senior - BHPian

Randeep your jeep looks muscular and heavy.Superb it is!!!

The choice of alloys is good too.BTW are you retaining the round head lights or going for square ones.?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:54   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
The Army tires are probably the same height, maybe even an inch more,
Hi,

These tyres are taller than the sand grips by about an inch.

@Joshguy,

I would be keeping the lights round only.

Cheers !!!!!!

Last edited by randeep04 : 23rd April 2009 at 16:01.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:13   #222
BHPian

Randeep, sorry if I missed out. Can you please advice the size of the rim and tyre. Also I need to know the cost of the tyre.

The rims are the best one I have ever seen. Congratus.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:29   #223
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Those are what, 31" tires?
I think they wouldn't give you much trouble at all, that is if your still using the stock crown/pinion. The Army tires are probably the same height, maybe even an inch more, therefore they'll be just fine, and i don't think you'll feel in difference in the power delivery of the motor. All you have to check is the front steering limit bolts on the front axle tube, which you would have to set so that the tires don't rub against the leaf springs when you take a turn.
thanks for the info brutus, another question will the increase in weight of the tyre+rim combo from the stock army rim+sandgrip have any adverse effect on the MM550?

Firoz
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:44   #224
BHPian

What the tire size of the new rubbers you bought? The army stock tire is 7.5x16, if i'am not mistaken, so that makes them a 31" size tire, but normally the manufacturers quote is about less than an inch size more than what the actual tire size is, and that hold true especially in case of radials, though the army stock ain't radials(correct me if i'am wrong). When mounted, the bottom part to the tire spreads out and therefore the wheel height goes a bit more lower. Besides, the Amry tires have about a 3/4th inch thread depth, so worn tires go down another inch or more.

I don't think an inch more height would make much of a difference, especially considering that the diameter height, so he actually has only the half inch to ajdust to. I don't think Firoz saabh would have any problems with useing this tire, and if he does, it would be just minor problems with clearance, especially during articulation, but that can be easily adjusted. He, i know modded his suspenion to use helper springs(much like what's used on the driver side front springs of WW2 jeeps). I think he did for gaining a little bit more comfortable ride, and normally when mechanics handle the spring for this purpose, they kind of flatten the arch of the springs a little bit( a flatter spring is a bit softer, and easier to move either up or down), so maybe his ride sits a bit lower too but still he can gain a reasonable height by useing Bolero shackles without any side effects, that is if he has clearance issues.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
thanks for the info brutus, another question will the increase in weight of the tyre+rim combo from the stock army rim+sandgrip have any adverse effect on the MM550?

Firoz
Normally bigger tires do add a little bit to the Unsprung mass, but for this size it would be negligible. Besides, the weight gained by the tires would be easily offset by useing the lighter alloy wheels inplace of those heavy Army wheels, so maybe you end up with a even lessor overall tire-rim weight than what you have now, which would be even better. Also these tires are radials, so the ride is actually going to get better.
Just one piece of advice, if you don't offroad a lot, it would make no point to go for mud tires, which also has a lower life. You can go for All-Terrian tires which have better handling and softer ride characteristics.