Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 28th November 2008, 11:57   #31
BHPian

Hi Harjeet,

aThe Mahindra Bolero engine you are talking about is XDB3 which delivers 68BHP. The same engine in Army MM550 delivers 72 BHP (I guess due to some special tuning of pump). I am using this engine in my MM540 and the performance is good. I am not sure is Issuzu Turbo 2.4 deliveres any better power, but I am also concious about the maintanance.

Regards, Naren
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:59   #32
BHPian

[quote=harjeev;1071724]
Also he told me that 2001/2002 comes with the Bolero engine (he was talking something about one being a chain engine and the other being different and I dint understand the difference, If someone could please shed some light on this too) and it is a powerful and capable engine, though I don't know how powerful would it be compared to the Isuzu, but Is the Bolero engine capable for normal off-roading like the one the Jeep Thrills and the NIOC go for? Further what is the reason for the engine transplant?
Also as Bolero is a widely sold vehicle wouldn’t it be easier much easier get it repaired if it goes bad in far off places.quote]

Keep the standard engine in the 550. the XDP3 is a brilliant engine. It will go through everying and OTR will throw at you. I saw 5 such jeeps in action at the last OTR!! It has adequate power and more than enough torque for off road use, though they are not very fast on road.
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Everyone has there on views on engines.
with what you said. Infect I was trying to understand the reason which you have given us now. The best thing is that you are keeping the 4x4. If by any chance you find out the engine specification of your engine, pls do let me know.
Old 28th November 2008, 13:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

OT: Those pics of the jeep makes it look mighty purposeful. How i wish i could drive one exactly the way it is without changing the colour or the badging or the markings.

PS: I know i cant.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 14:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
OT: Those pics of the jeep makes it look mighty purposeful. How i wish i could drive one exactly the way it is without changing the colour or the badging or the markings.

If there is a WISH, there is a way. Just have a strong with and insah allah, you will be abel to drive one.
Old 28th November 2008, 14:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Keep the standard engine in the 550. the XDP3 is a brilliant engine. It will go through everying and OTR will throw at you. I saw 5 such jeeps in action at the last OTR!! It has adequate power and more than enough torque for off road use, though they are not very fast on road.
I dont plan to do much road driving with this vehicle. I plan to just use it for OTR or occasional trips to wildlife resorts like Corbett or Siriska. As I think that even if they upto 60-70 km/h its ok with me. For my other day to day usage I have the Safari 4x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Is there any specific reason that you cant change the color. I understand that you have to change the markings and badging but isnt it possible to keep the Army green color?

Also I have written my plan on how to aquire a MM550 on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1072006

All comments are graciously welkcomed.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 14:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Is there any specific reason that you cant change the color. I understand that you have to change the markings and badging but isnt it possible to keep the Army green color?
There is some RTO restricton on using army coloured jeeps. They are more strict down south but most jeeps I saw on te OTR looked like army jeeps because they had all he Army colour and fittments. I think up here you may be able to get away with it.
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 15:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
There is some RTO restricton on using army coloured jeeps. They are more strict down south but most jeeps I saw on te OTR looked like army jeeps because they had all he Army colour and fittments. I think up here you may be able to get away with it.
Apparently you cant. You cant get the colour registered in RTO on the RC book.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 20:09   #39

I've been told that you can register an olive green jeep provided it has non army markings. A friend got his olive green 540 registered in the Indiranagar RTO by painting a US Army star on the bonnet.
kodava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 12:29   #40
BHPian

Default Use of Edit Button

Quote:
Sorry Armada ya, Spelling mistake

Hi Randeep,..to correct a typo within 15 min, use the edit button at the bottom of your post. This way you do not have to add another post to correct the typo !!
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 13:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
hi Sadiq,

Thanks for the info. Looked on the online site couldn't find it. Can you please PM me the link?
Hi Fk,

Here is the link

Deepika, Internet News, News, Daily, News India, Daily Newspaper, Krala, Asian News, Latest Indian News, India today, Online Newspaper, Online Indian newspaper, Deepika, rashtradeepika, deepikaonline, News, Home, India, Daily, English Daily, Newspape

Please go to 'nattu vishesham' then select 'kozhikkodu' (malalyam) just scroll down then you will see the news 'Vahana lelam'

I hope its a MM540 since most of govt dept has the same model thats time

best rgds/sadiq.
Salikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 14:19   #42
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
The dealers name is Padam Motors
W-25 Mayapuri Phase-II,
Delhi

011-28114909
98919 25575
Hi Randeep,

been trying these numbers. Nobody is picking up the landline number and the mobile number is off for the past few days.

Any other contacts?

FK
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 16:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Randeep,

been trying these numbers. Nobody is picking up the landline number and the mobile number is off for the past few days.

Any other contacts?

FK

I went to their shop on Thursday and even talked to the guy on Friday. I too was not able to get through their mobile but the landline is working fine.
Old 29th November 2008, 16:43   #44
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
I went to their shop on Thursday and even talked to the guy on Friday. I too was not able to get through their mobile but the landline is working fine.
Thx for the infor harjeev,

you see iam in kerala, down south and any contact number is helpful. By the way, did you see any good 550? What price range?

FK
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 20:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thx for the infor harjeev,

you see iam in kerala, down south and any contact number is helpful. By the way, did you see any good 550? What price range?

FK
This guy dint have any 550. but he had a restored 4x2 MM540 and restored. For this he was asking 1.50L (approx I do not remember the right quote) I would be heading there on Monday and will update the pics.
I did a little roaming around and there was a shop I think Pali motors. he had some disposal Maruti Gypsy's and 2-3 Mahindras. I dint inquire about the prices as the mahindras were very rusty. I told him I was looking for a clean MM550 4x4 about 2001 model and he told me to come back after the elections, as he had one somewhere in Punjab or J&K but was quoting about 95-100K for the vehicle.