Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st February 2009, 08:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Fazal,

I had never seen a Willy's MA. Thanks for sharing the pics with us and do keep us posted on its progress.

Cheers
Dear Randeep and all,
Here's a quick update on the PROGRESS or RESTORATION or EVOLVING or METAMORPHOSING of Willys MA, Job being done very metaculiously but painfull slow.Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-2.jpg
Notice the curve to the drivers seat entryway. Do not miss the headlamps, they can be manually focused from spindle at the bottom rear .
Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-3.jpg
Rear view, handmade spare wheel bracket.
Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-1.jpg
The Jeep is not as tall as it appears, this optical illusion is due to the fact that, two guys on either side who are not more than 5'-2" tall, max. On the right is the wizard man behind the bodyworks.
Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-6.jpg
The Willys emboss is not machine pressed but a hand job too.
Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-4.jpg
Loved this quote:
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not urs or mine -Henry S. Haskins
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 12:59   #17
BHPian

Looking Good... Some reference pictures

mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 20:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Methew,
Great pics for reference thanks, will pass them on.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:45   #19
BANNED

i must say thats some job undertaken by the owner as well as the fabricator. im glad JEEPERs like faizal are lending a helping hand by providing the photos and drawings to them.

glad to see the photos being posted here and wish the guys luck in bringing a jeep to life from scratch.

kudos again to the guys.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 23:29   #20
BHPian

Default That easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i must say thats some job undertaken by the owner as well as the fabricator. im glad JEEPERs like faizal are lending a helping hand by providing the photos and drawings to them.

glad to see the photos being posted here and wish the guys luck in bringing a jeep to life from scratch.

kudos again to the guys.
What happens in these fabrications? Quite possibly the look of the vehicle is like the original? What about the feel? Does it behave like it should? If this is adequate way to build an off-roader, why doesn't everybody stop buying from each other, and just build their own off-roaders and live happily ever after?
bonobashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:41   #21
BHPian

Hello Bonobashi, Rejo and others,
have you ever tasted Hyderabadi Biryani?
The pains and efforts spend in doing up a replica Willys "MA" to atleast look like a real one, should reserve a space for clinical appreciation.
The local sheet metal artists and others have impressed us greatly.
Irrespective of the standard drive side, they have done a fairly good job to adopt a Mahindra CJ3B right hand drive chassis (long or short) with 'wrong' steering side, and projected as good vehicle... WILLYS?
Wish them all the best, and hope to be there next time to point out the apparent mistakes.
All the best,
yours UBS
U.B.Singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The jeep seens to be turning out well, but i've noticed one thing. No 4X4?? So i guess this is just gonna be another poser jeep eh? sad! would've looked goo off road!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Amazing !!!!! The Jeep seems to be taking a great shape.

All the best !!!!!

Cheers !!!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazing job!!!

I want to clear one thing, Lets say even if the RC says that its a CJ3B and just the body has been modified. Will the RTO people have a problem with that too?
I think that they shouldn't

But anyways its a fantastic job and had it been a LHD would have been fabulous
Also do tell us how much is the entire fabrication costing the owner

Last edited by harjeev : 2nd February 2009 at 13:17.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:02   #25
BANNED

Great job,

But i see a lot of difference in its styling compared to the original reference.

The restorer must look into lot of intricate details when he's spending so much in the rebuild.

Kindly rectify the front grille and the bonnet styling.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Front end of the bonnet should be narrower, I feel.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

kudos again to the guys.
Parm,
You will not beleive the vague photo which was the only reference this guy started the project. Now he is armed with about six photos and has orders for 3 Willys MA,s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Front end of the bonnet should be narrower, I feel.
Nitrous,
Yes! you are right there are many flaws in this first job as this guy hardly had any reference material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Amazing !!!!! The Jeep seems to be taking a great shape.

All the best !!!!!

Cheers !!!!!!!!
Randeep, JayD,
It is turning out well but at the same time needs many refinements to be what it should be, and yes it will be a poser jeep like JayD rightly pointed out, I really doubt if anyone has the original chasis and engine train which has a LHD and gearhsift lever on the steering column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Great job,

But i see a lot of difference in its styling compared to the original reference.

The restorer must look into lot of intricate details when he's spending so much in the rebuild.

Kindly rectify the front grille and the bonnet styling.
Pawan,
Can you be specific in the difference of styling so that I can pass it on to him, though I too see many things to be desired in styling but could have missed out on some.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2009 at 14:11. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Amazing job!!!

I want to clear one thing, Lets say even if the RC says that its a CJ3B and just the body has been modified. Will the RTO people have a problem with that too?
I think that they shouldn't

But anyways its a fantastic job and had it been a LHD would have been fabulous
Also do tell us how much is the entire fabrication costing the owner
Harjeev,
Most probably the RC has Willys on it and which RTO guy knows the difference in a Willys MA or MB? " Money talks bullshit walks"! moderators excuse me here as it is not my line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Bonobashi, Rejo and others,
have you ever tasted Hyderabadi Biryani?
The pains and efforts spend in doing up a replica Willys "MA" to atleast look like a real one, should reserve a space for clinical appreciation.
The local sheet metal artists and others have impressed us greatly.
Irrespective of the standard drive side, they have done a fairly good job to adopt a Mahindra CJ3B right hand drive chassis (long or short) with 'wrong' steering side, and projected as good vehicle... WILLYS?
Wish them all the best, and hope to be there next time to point out the apparent mistakes.
All the best,
yours UBS
U.B.,
The owner provides them the chasis and they do a job on any, like you, I too appreciate the effort and challenge they take up in doing what they know best. I am doing my best to provide him with material, also thanks to guys on the forum who have posted four new pics. of the original, which will help the next one to be more refined. When you come here I will take you the the best Biryani houses in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
What happens in these fabrications? Quite possibly the look of the vehicle is like the original? What about the feel? Does it behave like it should? If this is adequate way to build an off-roader, why doesn't everybody stop buying from each other, and just build their own off-roaders and live happily ever after?
It will never feel like the original, apart from the looks. These days modifications are done to engines and suspension for a more comfortable drive and live happily ever after.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2009 at 14:10. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:39   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Pawan,
Can you be specific in the difference of styling so that I can pass it on to him, though I too see many things to be desired in styling but could have missed out on some.
Nothing much fazal, that man himself is such a nice craftsman, must admire his passion in such a rebuild.

Just a bit of work on few things will turn things towards more originality
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-willys-ma-6.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nothing much fazal, that man himself is such a nice craftsman, must admire his passion in such a rebuild.

Just a bit of work on few things will turn things towards more originality
Pavan,
Thanks, your valueable tips are going to help him in his next project tremendously. Also noticable is the bottom curve where the driver and front passanger get in, should be improved upon. Cant blame him as he had started the project with a single very very poor picture which did not show the Jeep in profile.