Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2008, 18:42   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication

Fabricating the rarely seen,1941,"Willys MA" is underway in Hyderabad. Mr.Sharfuddin (who had one very poor copy of xerox for reference) until I armed him with three high resolutiion pictures downloaded from the internet,(1st picture below). He is working on this body (last 3 pictures) from scratch in 16 guage sheet metal. Estimated time of completion of fabrication 20 more days. Though this is not my Jeep, I will try and post pics of this one till completion and am also eager to see how it turns out.
Name:  129_9709_jeepposter_06_z.jpg
Views: 12187
Size:  117.1 KB

Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-ma-1.jpg

Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-ma-2.jpg

Hyderabad, "Willys MA" 1941 fabrication-ma-3.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 19:31   #2
BHPian
 
S@~+#0$#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 701
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Nice effort there by Mr.Sharfuddin. While he is at it, could you please request him to make it a LHD. That way it will be more original.

Is he fabricating right from the scratch or is he fabricating bits for an incomplete but original Willys MA tub?
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 19:57   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Nice effort there by Mr.Sharfuddin. While he is at it, could you please request him to make it a LHD. That way it will be more original.

Is he fabricating right from the scratch or is he fabricating bits for an incomplete but original Willys MA tub?
I think the client wants it in RHD, and he is doing it from the scratch, each and every bit.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 23:56   #4
BHPian
 
wads78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 113
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
I think the client wants it in RHD, and he is doing it from the scratch, each and every bit.
It will be very interesting to see how it turns out, and yes, nice effort by Mr Sharfuddin in fabricating the whole body from scratch. I must say the owner must have plenty of time in hand to work on a project like this.
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
he is doing it from the scratch, each and every bit.

I don't know if it is OT, but one niggling doubt needs to be laid to rest. As this 1941 is being built from scratch and is not a renovation, how does the owner propose to register it with the RTO?

Last edited by gd1418 : 30th November 2008 at 13:23.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 21:08   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,631
Thanked: 2,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
... As this 1941 is being built from scratch and is not a renovation, how does the owner propose to register it with the RTO?
Interesting point there GD. Even I am intrigued about the RTO registration for this one. I think only the body may be getting re-fabricated and the engine, gear box etc etc etc would be from an existing old vehicle.

That's could be one option that I can think of.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

In that case how do you propose to tackle the Chasis number? Either there already exists a 1941 Willys that is registered, but its body/shell has gone to pieces. So, the owner is getting a new shell built/fabricated and the same RC would be used. Unless & until there is an insurance claim nobody checks the chasis number.

Is this gent only fabricating the top shell or rebuilding the entire Jeep from scratch like a manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think only the body may be getting re-fabricated and the engine, gear box etc etc etc would be from an existing old vehicle.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 03:08   #8
BHPian
 
wads78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 113
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I may be wrong but this is what people here generally do when they start a project like this.

Procure a RC book of an the jeep (model make) etc... and then look out for a chasis and shell or build a shell. And they start the project.

Coming to the registration process i am not sure but i think they either punch the chasis numbers on the chasis and then re-register the engine with the RTO. Or bribe some one to get the vehicle registered...

But i guess Fazal bhai will be able to answer this better!
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 07:08   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
In that case how do you propose to tackle the Chasis number? Either there already exists a 1941 Willys that is registered, but its body/shell has gone to pieces. So, the owner is getting a new shell built/fabricated and the same RC would be used. Unless & until there is an insurance claim nobody checks the chasis number.

Is this gent only fabricating the top shell or rebuilding the entire Jeep from scratch like a manufacturer?
Khan and gd,
RTO is no problem, like you all suggested no one checks chasis numbers and maybe it is as any 1940+ Willys registered, which RTA guy knows the difference between Wilys MA or MB?
Believe me, no one bothers.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 07:38   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
I may be wrong but this is what people here generally do when they start a project like this.

Procure a RC book of an the jeep (model make) etc... and then look out for a chasis and shell or build a shell. And they start the project.

Coming to the registration process i am not sure but i think they either punch the chasis numbers on the chasis and then re-register the engine with the RTO. Or bribe some one to get the vehicle registered...

But i guess Fazal bhai will be able to answer this better!
Wads,
You have given a better breakup of the chronology of events that take place before the RTA and at the RTA, I was diplomatic in my previous reply to omit the bribery part, but it is true!
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 932 Times
Default

Fazal, Owing to your experience, I am sure this Willy's would come out great!Will be following this thread to see the final outcome.
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 10:41   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Fazal, Owing to your experience, I am sure this Willy's would come out great!Will be following this thread to see the final outcome.
Surya,
Will try and continue this thread till the final is done, as this is not my Jeep it depends on the owner how he might take it, though I dont foresee any problem there. Just wanted to share it with fellow fourm guys the evolving of the Willys MA, as I myself have not seen one complete MA yet.
You can see the works at Bahadurpura as you are from here.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 10:54   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 932 Times
Default

Thanks Fazal.Shall meet you soon will PM my numbers to you!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 11:19   #14
BHPian
 
randeep04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hi Fazal,

I had never seen a Willy's MA. Thanks for sharing the pics with us and do keep us posted on its progress.

Cheers
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 18:18   #15
BHPian
 
wads78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 113
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Wads,
You have given a better breakup of the chronology of events that take place before the RTA and at the RTA, I was diplomatic in my previous reply to omit the bribery part, but it is true!
Yes... in fact the other day i asked one of the fabricators about a Kaiser jeep and he said there is a chasis and body... and you will have to purchase the RC book from someone and register it... and he said it so casually as if its all legal and ethical .
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Fabrication advice for Vintage Car Parts (axle, driveshaft etc.) Jehan-Sam Vintage Cars & Classics in India 1 26th October 2014 07:25
Car PC setup, install and some fabrication ankur In-Car Entertainment 224 5th July 2010 18:44
Indigo Center Console Touchscreen LCD Fabrication shldn In-Car Entertainment 95 13th August 2009 12:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks