Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 22nd January 2009, 11:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

I have a stupid question here:

Won't the snorkel s**k all the bugs while the vehicle is being driven and won't it harm the engine? I am a newbie with regards to 4X4's and hence this question. I don't see any "small" grill to save it from the bugs going inside the engine.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:17   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

Won't the snorkel s**k all the bugs while the vehicle is being driven and won't it harm the engine?
Normally, bugs are attracted to the headlights,hence they fly towards the lights and get diverted due to airflow over the bonnet and hit the windshield, so i guess there wont be much of bug sucking by the snorkel opening which is way far from lights and windshield.

Quote:
I don't see any "small" grill to save it from the bugs going inside the engine.
Those are just WIP pics, i guess a wire mesh will be added before final touches are given.

Last edited by badboyscad : 22nd January 2009 at 11:18.
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:19   #213
BHPian

Quote:

Won't the snorkel s**k all the bugs while the vehicle is being driven and won't it harm the engine? I am a newbie with regards to 4X4's and hence this question. I don't see any "small" grill to save it from the bugs going inside the engine.
Amtek,

As I have mentioned earlier, the snorkel is only 50% done. It has yet to get a mesh and an added curve to retard water and anything that can go in. Secondly, even without the mesh, if its only for the insects and small objects, they get traped in the air filter and do not harm the engine directly. However, in long term, if such objects accumalate, it can hamper the induction process.

Cheers!
vinayrathore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:34   #214
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Ankit
The snorkel is a copy of the safari snorkel, the same that Laxman has in its jeep. I dont know and I am not offended by you comment, but can you explain what is the visible difference between the two?
I mean the purpose of the snorkel is to direct and not restrict and raise the air intake to the engine. Right? So if its solving the How does it make a difference.
I am not thinking of adding one to my 550 though!

Here is a pic for comparison
Hi Harjeev,

I think you know this vehicle personally. If you can, please take a picture of the connection inside the engine compartment for the same vehicle and post it please.

I would like to see how it is connected internally.

Regards

FK
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:12   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
BTW is the 25th OTR on?
No idea Ankit. There have been no mails exchanged on the NIOC group for a couple of days now. If you get to know something pl do let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Do let me know when you would be visiting the work shop again.

Would surely like to come along. But this weekend i'm off to Jaipur.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
I would be visiting the workshop this Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

I think you know this vehicle personally. If you can, please take a picture of the connection inside the engine compartment for the same vehicle and post it please.

I would like to see how it is connected internally.

Regards

FK
Feroz
Which vehicle are you talking about. The Rubicon look alike or Laxmans jeep with the safari snorkel??
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:18   #216
BHPian

Ah this saturday i'm off to Jaipur. Maybe will join you the following weekend then.

Cheers !!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:19   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Ankit
The snorkel is a copy of the safari snorkel, the same that Laxman has in its jeep. I dont know and I am not offended by you comment, but can you explain what is the visible difference between the two?
I mean the purpose of the snorkel is to direct and not restrict and raise the air intake to the engine. Right? So if its solving the How does it make a difference.
I am not thinking of adding one to my 550 though!

Here is a pic for comparison
Harjeev, I agree that the purpose of the snorkel will be met well by the one on the Rubicon lookalike. I suppose it will look better once it is painted and aligned correctly to the windscreen (as vinay has mentioned).

My view was about what it looked like and if you have a beautiful jeep, that it is turning out to be, would you then be comfortable with a thin silver pipe which sticks out away from the vehicle rather that how it is attach in Laxman Ji's 550.
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:23   #218
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Which vehicle are you talking about. The Rubicon look alike or Laxmans jeep with the safari snorkel??
Hi Harjeev,

I am talking about Laxmans Jeep

FK
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:37   #219
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going offtopice:How is the first one different from the other?

Harveej, I feel you should color your Jeep in this yellow color!
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2009, 12:43   #220
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking.. just thinking of going with Glossy Black
My brother and my cousin think that black would look great along with the foldable softtop (khanchi type) the one that comes in a CJ3B, I personally am not able to decide between the Army green and the black.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:52   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking.. just thinking of going with Glossy Black
My brother and my cousin think that black would look great along with the foldable softtop (khanchi type) the one that comes in a CJ3B, I personally am not able to decide between the Army green and the black.
Black if you are not married and Green if you are! Ladies love black Jeeps!
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:05   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for going offtopic:How is the first one different from the other?
The first one(yellow jeep) has a "pre-cleaner" and the second one has just an air-ram head.

This is the pre-cleaner:
Name:  pre cleaner.jpeg
Views: 4790
Size:  11.3 KB

A pre-cleaner may be used in case of severe(more dusty) offroading. It has a pre-filter that removes most of the dust even before it reaches your air filter.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:28   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The first one(yellow jeep) has a "pre-cleaner" and the second one has just an air-ram head.

This is the pre-cleaner:
Attachment 92382

A pre-cleaner may be used in case of severe(more dusty) offroading. It has a pre-filter that removes most of the dust even before it reaches your air filter.
I have seen these pre filters on tractors (or my imagination might be playing tricks) so that might be an option to source one.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:02   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I have seen these pre filters on tractors (or my imagination might be playing tricks) so that might be an option to source one.
NO, your imagination is NOT playing tricks. They can bee seen on tractors but they are big ones and yes, there might be an option to source one locally(may be a visit to the tractor service station will prove useful).
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
NO, your imagination is NOT playing tricks. They can bee seen on tractors but they are big ones and yes, there might be an option to source one locally(may be a visit to the tractor service station will prove useful).
cheers: Would the smaller tractors (Eicher etc) use little ones ? or are they too big for a jeep as well ?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote