Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 12:32   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
My gosh!!!
are these places that famous. If we are not visiting these this time around, next time I am in Chandigarh they are definitely on my itinerary
Its only about 1.5-2 hours drive to Kasauli from Chandigarh and the views are amazing. Follow the road down and there is a army base which you can get entry to and go up Monkey Point. On top of Monkey Point is a Mandir which is very tranquil and has the best views ever.

Whenever I am near Chandigarh I try and make my way up to Himachal (Kasauli is easiest place to get to). Its nice to breathe some of that fresh mountain air. Plus Kasauli is full of well to do folks (they have holiday homes up there) who have some of the best pedigree dogs ever. From St Bernards to little Sausage dogs, you can see them all in the mornings (dogs and horses are my other passions )

@ Randeep

Whats your best time up to Monkey Point ? I managed it in 4 minutes and a few seconds the one year. Luckily they had commercialised a bit and there was a chap selling Pepsi near the top.

Which one is Gupta stores, theres one shop that sells sweets, drinks and burgers just after the mall area as you head towards Hotel Alasia. Its run by a chap with a nice moustache. There are a few other shops next to it and one of them is a laundery/dry cleaners.

Name:  India 136.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  355.9 KB
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-india-138.jpg

Last edited by bigman : 6th March 2009 at 12:38.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:57   #332
BHPian
 
randeep04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

@ Randeep

Whats your best time up to Monkey Point ? I managed it in 4 minutes and a few seconds the one year. Luckily they had commercialised a bit and there was a chap selling Pepsi near the top.

Which one is Gupta stores, theres one shop that sells sweets, drinks and burgers just after the mall area as you head towards Hotel Alasia. Its run by a chap with a nice moustache. There are a few other shops next to it and one of them is a laundery/dry cleaners.
Well Satnam I never timed myself ya but I guess when we were in school we did the same in 15-20 mis normal speed.

Gupta stores is right above the parking area. There are three shops together. 1. is the Photo Studio (Sharma's I guess). 2. Is a clothing outlet and the corner one is Gupta Stores that keeps everythin from candy's, choco's to havasacks, shoes toys etc. A pretty good joint for kids from Sanawar.

Cheers !!!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 13:22   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

@ Randeep

You also get that excellent bottled juice in Himachal which you rarely encounter for sale anywhere else. Lychee, apple... juice etc etc.

@ Harjeev

Is the Rubicon finished yet ?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 13:55   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

MAN
I dont know how i missed this place but I have to go there sometime in the near future...
Sounds great.

@bigman
@Randeep
if this place is not that far off can it be easily managed in a day trip from Chandigarh???

@bigman
Sent you an email
I will get to know the status on monday when I visit the workshop
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 14:38   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
MAN
I dont know how i missed this place but I have to go there sometime in the near future...
Sounds great.

@bigman
@Randeep
if this place is not that far off can it be easily managed in a day trip from Chandigarh???

@bigman
Sent you an email
I will get to know the status on monday when I visit the workshop
Yes its pretty easy to get to from Chandigarh, just head towards Kalka etc and then towards Shimla. On the way you come to small place called Dharampur where there are lots of Dhaba. Well just before the Dhaba is a small turning to the left and this heads towards Kasauli. Its not very far and the route there is very scenic. On the way is that hotel to which you take cable car. Theres is usually traffic in Kalka but after that it is plain easy driving towards Kasauli.

It is easy to get to for a daytrip and well worth a visit.

Last edited by bigman : 6th March 2009 at 14:44.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:02   #336
BHPian
 
vinayrathore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DL-9C/KA-01
Posts: 516
Thanked: 300 Times
Default

Eagerly waiting to see your jeep in action Harjeev! Would love to do a TD whenever its ready.


Also any news about the Rubicon project? Do post pics for both of them!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 9th March 2009 at 11:03.
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 14:44   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Good News Good News

I will be getting the delivery of my MM550 tomorrow.Everything has been done and only the power steering and the electrical wiring is pending.

The power steering is being done as we speak will be over by today evening
The electrical work is pending as the electrician dint show up today morning and god willing will show up tomorrow.

So in all probability I will be getting the jeep tomorrow FINGERS CROSSED
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 14:46   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 935 Times
Default

Wow...Harjeev!
Waiting to see the full form in its glory and do post detailed pics please!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 15:40   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
IronWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Benga-loo-ru
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@IronWolf
Thanks man. No need to envy.HAHAHA
Had you been in Delhi I could have helped you get the same kind of work done in your vehicle too.
I do envy esp cause I have not had the slightest chance to get my hands on a Ex Army 550. Have been looking for a deal like yours outside of maypuri and something downsouth.

About where to do the job. Chennai is only 320 km away and I think I could get a excellent restoration done there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Good News Good News

I will be getting the delivery of my MM550 tomorrow.Everything has been done and only the power steering and the electrical wiring is pending.

The power steering is being done as we speak will be over by today evening
The electrical work is pending as the electrician dint show up today morning and god willing will show up tomorrow.

So in all probability I will be getting the jeep tomorrow FINGERS CROSSED
All the best. Dont want to sound pessimistic. Wont the electrical work take more than just a day?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 16:27   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I do envy esp cause I have not had the slightest chance to get my hands on a Ex Army 550. Have been looking for a deal like yours outside of maypuri and something downsouth.
I will remember to let you know if any ex army 550 comes up for sale.
There is this friend of mine who has put up a 550 for sale in the classified section. Check it out if you are interested.

Quote:
All the best. Dont want to sound pessimistic. Wont the electrical work take more than just a day?
My cousin says that it takes 3-4 hours as I am changing the complete wiring. Already bought a new wiring harness and just have to put it in the vehicle.
If the electrician doesn't show up tomorrow I am also thinking of taking an electrician from Mayapuri, give a couple of hundred rupees more than he would normally charge, take him to G.Noida and get the work done.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 16:51   #341
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Second, the R&D of the army & their use is much better and tougher than what we guys do at OTR's.
What come made you think so... come and join me for OTR someday...

Last edited by DesertKing : 9th March 2009 at 17:02.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:00   #342
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Thanks for the info. Pls see your inbox I have PMed you for this KOYO - PS

Desertking is also using this on his Jeep.
DK can you pls give some info like how it works, any alterations/mods required. and cost.

Tarkesh
Sorry for very delayed reply.. I had an accident and whole the Feb, I had plaster in both the hands.

I have driven my Jeep on some very tough tarrain (except mud and deep water, which are hard to except in Rajasthan) and Koyo PS never disappointed me.

Quite recently, I did some modification to lower down the visible part of PS so that a winch can be accomodate on the front bumper. However recent recession has stoped me to spend more on my Jeep .
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:12   #343
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Sorry for very delayed reply.. I had an accident and whole the Feb, I had plaster in both the hands.

I have driven my Jeep on some very tough tarrain (except mud and deep water, which are hard to except in Rajasthan) and Koyo PS never disappointed me.

.

Hi DK,

Nice to see you back in here. Hope all well now. I got it from your PM so I didnt bother you much.

Pls explain the KOYO working,cost,fitment and availability in India.Because I am also interested in putting PS in my 550.

Hi Harjeev , You can also shed some light on PS which you installed. I think you had mentioned it is KOYO.
Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:16   #344
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I will remember to let you know if any ex army 550 comes up for sale.
Hi Harjeev/Ironwolf,

There is one auction happening not exactly down south but in Pune on17th March and there are some M&Ms on sale. Dont know the models etc.

BTW Harjeev, What about the PM you had sent regarding CJ and pics of it?

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 17:20   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
What come made you think so... come and join me for OTR someday...
Hey DK
I am not debating that your OTR tougher than what I do or anyone else does.

Firstly my comment was solely in reference to the selection of the tyres for my 550.
Secondly, my comment was for all OTR in general. Now when I say we guys, I did not specifically refer you or me, I meant in general. How many of us do put our vehicles to use as put by the army all over India. Do you think that your OTR is more tougher or harsh on the vehicle than what the Indian Army as a whole does. If yes I would definitely like to join you someday!!!
Thirdly all the OTR's that atleast I do is more of a hobby for me than as a way of life whereas the use by the armed forces its more of a way of life than merely a hobby and the vehicles are used and abused day in and day out atleast in the forward areas.

Also on behalf of Northern India Offroading Club NIOC I invite you to any of our OTR sessions in NCR. I have no doubt that your OTR will be very nice and tough, but at the same time we a team of about 40-50 jeepers here in the NCR who have been active for the past 2-3 years also try to do some amazing stuff, but no doubt will be able to learn for each others experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Harjeev/Ironwolf,

There is one auction happening not exactly down south but in Pune on17th March and there are some M&Ms on sale. Dont know the models etc.

BTW Harjeev, What about the PM you had sent regarding CJ and pics of it?

Tarkesh
Thanks for the info Tarkesh, but man you would understand that my garage is full for the moment and I will first want to restore all my existing jeep before embarking on another buy.
Ironwolf might be interested. Nnice of you to share

I had emailed you the pics, but in anycase I will send them to you again this evening as I deleted the pics from my pc

Last edited by harjeev : 9th March 2009 at 17:25.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MM550 XD3P : Timing Chain Failure vishwaschettri 4x4 Technical 29 27th January 2014 10:54
First official pics-2011 Ford ranger/ Endeavour sidindica The International Automotive Scene 9 28th May 2013 11:53
Opinion wanted - Dicor VX 4X4 vs Endeavour XLT 4X4...updated Now Booked Dicor VX 4X suman SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 80 1st April 2009 14:11
Spotted Ford Ranger !!! comfortablywacky Super-Cars & Imports in India 4 23rd September 2005 19:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks