Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 26th March 2009, 11:27   #406
BHPian

Harjeev, can you pls post a picture of the PS. Koyo PS is customized setup and I am courious see it on your Jeep. Was it required to cut the front grill??
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 09:15   #407
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
The mechanical work as been completed on the vehicle, At last.
I even drove the vehicle around the compound, but as there was no one to take my video, so I dint bother.
I was so happy that I even distributed sweets to all there!!!

I finalised the new model tailgate yesterday, along with the brackets.

Today the vehicle will be given back to the denter, and he will fix the tailgate and couple of other small issues and then the painter will start the work from tomorrow.

Thank god the things are now finally looking up!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 09:32   #408
BHPian

Harjeev - Great news Bro!! Congrats. finally you were able to drive it. I can imagine what joy that must be. Whenever I get anything done to my gypsy I start itching to drive it so I can understand how you must feel to wait for so long and to go to all those OTRs (taking pics) while your 550 was being restored. How did it feel? Get any sleep at night?

Cheers
Ankit
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 10:10   #409
BHPian

Default Lay Low.. Hang Tight!!

Guys,
I am not superstitous, but.. let's not start talking about the big day and pictures and all that. That includes you Harjeev..

Just take it easy.. and make sure you focus on getting everything done and check out the work completely! Make sure that all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Hang tight.. I mean, hang loose!
gbanavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 11:02   #410
Senior - BHPian

I agree
With 3 months of waiting, infact
today exactly 15 weeks have elapsed and I can certainly wait for 2-3 weeks or even more.
I have told the denter and the painter not to hush up things. The initial euphoria and excitement is over.
The thing is that the amount of work done so far is only internal and now the work that is to be done is what people will see.
Not that I bother, but still when so much time and money is spent I will like is the outcome to be good!!!

Last edited by harjeev : 27th March 2009 at 11:03.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:54   #411
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
Some pics after the power steering installation
Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_7171.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_7175.jpg

Harjeev's RANGER - MM550 XD3P 4x4 (Latest Pics Updated Pg-41)-img_7176.jpg

I the rear tailgate was installed in the evening today.
I will take pics tomorrow and upload.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:04   #412
BANNED

removal of the cross member makes the front bumper too close to the front tyres and can be a problem if you have a crash as the bumper can cause more then expected damaged to tyres and the front diff!

what you say?
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 21:15   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys
The mechanical work as been completed on the vehicle, At last.
I even drove the vehicle around the compound, but as there was no one to take my video, so I dint bother.
I was so happy that I even distributed sweets to all there!!!

I finalised the new model tailgate yesterday, along with the brackets.

Today the vehicle will be given back to the denter, and he will fix the tailgate and couple of other small issues and then the painter will start the work from tomorrow.

Thank god the things are now finally looking up!!!
hey harjeev, congrats man. Hope the jeep behaved well when you took it for a spin. It would surely come out well harjeev. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to see your jeep at the next otr. Have fun tomorrow cheers! ! !
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 21:16   #414
Senior - BHPian

Parm,

The cross member was not removed. Originally a cut was made so the saginaw type PS could be recessed back. The cut was not done in an appropriate manner or reinforced to keep the strength of the cross member so Harjeev had the old one removed and added a replacement.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 23:09   #415
Senior - BHPian

@Pram
Satnam is right. Checkout this post

I bought the other cross member for 1000 bucks and the denter is asking another 1k for the removal and installation. Will pay not more than 500 bucks for the labor. But the new crossmember was removed infront of me from another army disposal chassis.

But you are right. As if the old crossmember had remained, it would have definnitely had reliability issues and might not have lasted even a couple of OTR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
hey harjeev, congrats man. Hope the jeep behaved well when you took it for a spin. It would surely come out well harjeev. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to see your jeep at the next otr. Have fun tomorrow cheers! ! !
Randeep
I drove only a little. Just a small round. But the engine sounds great.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:26   #416
BHPian

Hi Harjeev.
1> The MM440,540,550 models have their front grill mounted on a single pivot,rubber bush bolted through so as to allow the movement of the front grill to a certain extant up and down and also to flap a wee bit side to side.
2> I noticed your power steering lines are made to attach to the steering unit through a slit in the grill.
3>Please ascertain they have enough gap between for the afore mentioned play so they dont get frayed when you go offroading with your jeep.
4>This is a safety issue and definitely worth some consideration.
Cheers
Jammy
MM440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 01:03   #417
BHPian

Also, the PS box seems to be sticking out beyond the bumper.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 01:19   #418
Senior - BHPian

Alfa_Kilo,

Any way to rectify that ? I suppose if the front fender is bought out a touch there will be a detrimental effect on the inclination angle.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 04:41   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hi Harjeev.
1> The MM440,540,550 models have their front grill mounted on a single pivot,rubber bush bolted through so as to allow the movement of the front grill to a certain extant up and down and also to flap a wee bit side to side.
2> I noticed your power steering lines are made to attach to the steering unit through a slit in the grill.
3>Please ascertain they have enough gap between for the afore mentioned play so they dont get frayed when you go offroading with your jeep.
4>This is a safety issue and definitely worth some consideration.
Cheers
Jammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Also, the PS box seems to be sticking out beyond the bumper.
Thanks Jammy and Alfa
Yes that is protruding out a little and I also noticed in the pictures only.
The thing is that though I have spent money on the P/s unit, If it given me any trouble later on in off-roading I will remove it and install the original steering box without the P/S,

@jammy
What is the way to make sure that there is enough gap/play for the movement of the grille while off-roading. Should the holes me any wider? Maybe 1/2 an inch or so???

@alfa
The P/S appears a little out, but I think that its still almost at the same level or a little inside than the front hook. But I will ask him is something can be done about it as the vehicle still has to be painted
Old 28th March 2009, 04:42   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Another member on the forum has installed a Koyo unit under the firewall. He has posted some pictures as well. Forget which thread though.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote