Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th December 2008, 21:42   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Ooops! FK7 reached there from Dubai...! congrats FK on the new purchase. So lets expect another thread here sooon..

So how did he manage to take it into calicut? trucked it or he drive the jeep himself???

tks/sali
He has trucked it in a Maruti Container Truck.
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 02:35   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Totally agree Pram,
So when are we getting together to get yours!!!
It would be great restoring 4 Army Disposals on TBhp
Myself, Randeeps, Feroz's and yours... Are you game???

@Salikt: He trucked it!! I think the truck guy charged about 18K till Callicut!! and he's back to Dubai
im planning a india trip in last week of december and will negotiate with the jeep owner and lets see how it moves from there...

..will keep you guys posted about this!

cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
..Do you really justify this price ? I was thinking I could get something for less than 1 lac and do all whatever modification I want to and still get a very decent and stunning result all within the 2 lac budget. ...I am sure the modifications that are in my mind will shoot above 1 lac budget. ...My dream plan is exactly what you see in my avatar since 1 year !
You can always buy an ex-army jeep the way others have been doing. Thats better for you, keeping in mind the sort of cosmetic mods you are planning. But this is a 550 XDB man, with a stock 5 speed one, something which is really rare and something which, if sourced aftermarket, will cost you a bomb. I think the price is quite reasonble.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:25   #79

Quote:
Thanks man. Its sure appears to be
How much is the cost working out to be for the spring suspension. I have still not made up my mind.
But would love to know the pros and cons of springs vs leaf suspension
Spring suspension will cost u around 30k to 50K (installation charges extra) but it depends. as i am doing everything myself so it wont cost me much. i got almost new balero Chase, balero chase is 15" longer,i cut the extra piece. now i m installing front independant suspention & engine etc.it ll take one week then i ll let u know.
but i suggest, you should go for leaf suspension bcoz spring suspension of any indian suv will not work for 4X4. u will have to import whole suspension setup from states,
Quote:
How much did it cost for the hydraulic suspension job in your jeep. That was one neat job.
thanks bro, well i spent more than 70k & 2month for the hydraulic suspension, as u know, not much parts are available in indian market,so it was totally custom made.
harpaalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpaalgill View Post
balero chase is 15" longer,i cut the extra piece. now i m installing front independant suspention & engine etc.

spring suspension of any indian suv will not work for 4X4. u will have to import whole suspension setup from states,
Hi Harpaal,

What is the length of a MM550 and Bolero? I think 550 has 91" am I right? Does the cutting chasis will work well or does it need any mods again. Which side you do cut to shorten it?
Salikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
You can always buy an ex-army jeep the way others have been doing.
But this is a 550 XDB man, with a stock 5 speed one, something which is really rare and something which, if sourced aftermarket, will cost you a bomb. I think the price is quite reasonble.
Hey kandisa,
If you are atlking about the current army 550's (2000's 2001'2) they do not come with a 5 speed gearbox. 5 speed gearbox, i think, were started in the army only recently, a couple of years back.
But if one were to find a maybe 2004 or later (which would onlt be phased out of the army in case of an accident or some other unknown reason) that would be havong a 5 speed Gbox. But I think that it wouldnt be worthwhile buying a vehicle knowing that ity may have some unknown flaw in it...

BTW loved your report on the OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpaalgill View Post
Spring suspension will cost u around 30k to 50K (installation charges extra)
but i suggest, you should go for leaf suspension bcoz spring suspension of any indian suv will not work for 4X4.
hey Harpaal
I have decided to drop the idea of springs and go along with the leaf spring suspension for now. This way i will save a lot of cash and use it for other mods. 50K + installaion is a lot of money and a lot of other things can be accomodated in this amount.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:52   #82
BHPian

Quote:

hey Harpaal
I have decided to drop the idea of springs and go along with the leaf spring suspension for now. This way i will save a lot of cash and use it for other mods. 50K + installaion is a lot of money and a lot of other things can be accomodated in this amount.
Hi Harjeev,

Your friend has already started a Spring suspension mods on another 550 at his workshop. I think you posted some pics about those before. Why don't you check with your friend about the Plus and Minus sides of this setup then?

tks/sali
Salikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Your friend has already started a Spring suspension mods on another 550 at his workshop. I think you posted some pics about those before. Why don't you check with your friend about the Plus and Minus sides of this setup then?

tks/sali
I would definitely be checking out the suspension mod in the other 540 standing in the workshop., when that vehicle is ready. But still i dont think that its worthwhile spending so much money on a suspension mod. But yes it be be on my wish list of future modifications.

Had a talk with my friend and he has completely striped the vehicle. He said over the phone that the engine is in a good shape as it was overhauled by the army in 2006 and a new engine head was added then. We would be needing to get the pistons re-sleeved. I dont knpw what that implies??

I am going to the workshop today afternoon and will be getting a fair idea on the costs involved for the mechnicals and labour.

My current list is as follows
Complete overhaul of the Engine
Complete overhaul of the Transmission (gearbox, transfer case, front & rear diff,) basically everything mechnical
LSD's in the front
Power steering
Change of the entire wiring
Checking the brakes, clutch, ignition for faults/ wear & tear
Change of front dashboard
Good soft top
Side door windows & front glass
Good tyres (thinking of NDMS)

This is a tentative list that i can think about. I would be having a much clear idea by the evening today abouit the cost aspects as there would be many small and big parts, changes that i would be needing to do/ buy.

Any suggestions on restoration are welcome.
Harjeev
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:44   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Harjeev,

You will need to import the LSDs. I doubht they will be available locally. Unless someone is willing to remove from the rear of the army 550 and sell it. The same one will fit upfront since they are both dana 44 axles.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:25   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... My current list is as follows
LSD's in the front
If you already have LSD in the rear diff, I would suggest that you first use it for a couple of months before you even decide to put LSD in the front diff.

Jeep gurus like arka, RedMM, MM440 etc can tell you better about the pro's/cons of the front LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
.. You will need to import the LSDs. I doubht they will be available locally. ...
In Coorg OTR, I remember Sushir Kashyap mentioning that the LSD are available in Kashmere Gate in New Delhi. There is a dealer there who will get it for you for approx 15-17K.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey kandisa,
If you are atlking about the current army 550's (2000's 2001'2) they do not come with a 5 speed gearbox. 5 speed gearbox, i think, were started in the army only recently, a couple of years back.
Well I was not talking of the army 550, was talking about the particular 550 which was on sale in the jeepthrills group. By the way, the owner probably re-evaluated the vehicle and has stopped the sale for the time being. A stock 550 XDB is the rarest in the 5x0 lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
BTW loved your report on the OTR
Thanks man, really loved the mutton dish you broughtcheers:
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:10   #87
BHPian

Harjeev - there are two sides to you getting your 550 for the OTRs.

1. We will have another jeep in our group and you would enjoy the event even more.

2. We will lose one of our best OTR photographers. We have got some excellent pics from you. Not to forget Kandisa amd Vinay as well!

How is the project going?
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:24   #88
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just a small question, how much would the LSD cost if i were to import it?

What would you guys suggest one should do, keep the jeep as stock or install Diff-locks or LSD?

Cheers
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:28   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just a small question, how much would the LSD cost if i were to import it?

What would you guys suggest one should do, keep the jeep as stock or install Diff-locks or LSD?

Cheers

Auburn Gear LSD runs about 250 to 300 USD. I think it will be hard to find Lockers for the 19 spline axles that Mahindra uses. Besides lockers are a lot more expensive. If you search, Samurai started a new thread on lockers vs LSDs.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:34   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Auburn Gear LSD runs about 250 to 300 USD. I think it will be hard to find Lockers for the 19 spline axles that Mahindra uses. Besides lockers are a lot more expensive. If you search, Samurai started a new thread on lockers vs LSDs.
I think Detroit lockers are available for DANA with 19 spline axles. it should cost somewhere around 600USD.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote