Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd January 2009, 21:09   #121
Senior - BHPian

Man Oh Man!!!
What an offroader you are building with your Mahindra!!!
I can only imagine how its going to turn out but looks quite intimidating already!!!

Subscribed and rated 5 stars!

Amazing pics and reports. Surely will be a great help for prospective Jeep owners who plan restoration or mods as yours.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:27   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

The 3 spacers to me also sounded like too much but after mounting the tyres on them the seem pretty ok and well within the bodyline.

The spring suspension is done for the front and the rear will be over by today or tomorrow and I will be there to document it.
Hi Harjeev,

Please don't forget to get some detailed pictures of those spring suspension setup. I'm eagerly waiting to know this be done!

Those spacers are imported or Indian made? How much they cost per piece?

tks
Salikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:36   #123
BHPian

Just went through this thread and man, a serious offroader is into making.
Congrats harjeev!
Will be glued to this thread from now on.Rated 5 stars.
Cheers!
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 01:42   #124
BHPian

Firstly, awesome jeep. This is turning out to be a great project. Here are a few ideas if you want to use them.
you shouldn't have sealed the rear door shut, though the grill behind looks awesome. Im guessing its too late now but this what you could do. Please move the rear seat a little bit more to the front, this will give you ample storage behind it or even space for speakers/subwoofer. Moving the seat forward will also give you the opportunity to add seat belts to the rear seat. The roll cage at the sides is way too high and will not provide adequte protection to people sitting at the rear in case of a side topple. The side bars should be at the level of the rear occupants face/head and not above them.
bluestraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 11:45   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
harjeev,
Your vehicle is coming out really well mate!! The detailed pictorial discussion is welcome!! Keep the good job on!!!:-))))
Thanks Vinod!! The wait is killing man but theres so much to learn one get to buy and restore your own vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This is my thinking also. I want to drive it, not tinker with it for an eternity.

I really like your pics on the gear box and T-case. Well done, sir, your whole thread.l
Thanks DDan I am happy that you and everybody is liking it.
Actually photography is my hobby (I am just a novice) but am trying to document everything that I can so that it canbe used for everybodys benifit. They say a photo says a 1000 words.
This forum is an ocean of knowledge and I know I learnt loads from it like when earlier I was thinking of buying a year old Skoda Laura but thanks to this forum I changed my decision as the maintainence costs are sky high that what I would have been comfortable with (pl no offence to Laura owners). Then thanks to this forum I bought my Tata Safari then the 550 and then then the CJ3B. I mean man where can one get unbiased information. I have the answer Only on TBhp.
3 cheers: to that.

Quote:
It is your cousin who is the master mechanic of all this? Can you tell us BRIEFLY a little about him?
Yes and no sir,
My cousin is experienced, competent and understand all about cars/ engines/ mechnicals etc but Ill say also very adventerous in modifying cars/ jeep and has been doing so since the past 15-20 years. I mean he modified his first jeep when he was in the 10th standard. Otherwise he is a professional photographer and was earlier working with Bedi Films, spent 4 years in Ladakh making documentaries and has resorts in Corbett and Bhandavgarh (MP). He is the brain behind the rubicon lookalike and oened this workshop just a couple of months back.
Then he has an old guy, you must have seen in some of the gearbox pics, all of us call him ustadji , now ustadji is the man who puts the thoughts into action but is more oriented towards the mechinical aspect of vehicles rather than designing. A very nice person and workng with my cousin I think for the past year or so. Both of them work together and Ill say one is not complete without the other. Do you get what I am saying. A great team.
Quote:
I recommend this thread by Arka on what I think is an important upgrade to your steering unless you have gone PS already.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...d-upgrade.html
We have already bought the power steering, but Ill will still go through the thread as there is some info in everything and information is always useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Rubicon clone looks very impressive. The alloys look like Plati model, the one I am eyeing, what specs are they? BTW, the MT tyres look pretty aggressive, what make are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The tires are KUMHO Road Venture MT KL71 's.

Kumho Tire USA - Light Truck - Mud Terrain - KL71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Those are Kumho tyres.
Samurai I wouldnt know but I am heading off to the workshop today and will try to find out more about it can take closeup pics.
And as badboyscad and nitrous have said they are kumho tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Please don't forget to get some detailed pictures of those spring suspension setup. I'm eagerly waiting to know this be done!

Those spacers are imported or Indian made? How much they cost per piece?

tks
Done Sir,
I talked to my cousin this morning and he says that the spring suspension is almost complete. Will try to get detailed pics and info.
The spacers arfe indian made and made here in delhi itself. Will find out the cost today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Just went through this thread and man, a serious offroader is into making.
Congrats harjeev!
Will be glued to this thread from now on.Rated 5 stars.
Cheers!
Thanks live2drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Man Oh Man!!!
What an offroader you are building with your Mahindra!!!
I can only imagine how its going to turn out but looks quite intimidating already!!!

Subscribed and rated 5 stars!

Amazing pics and reports. Surely will be a great help for prospective Jeep owners who plan restoration or mods as yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post

Firstly, awesome jeep. This is turning out to be a great project. Here are a few ideas if you want to use them.
you shouldn't have sealed the rear door shut, though the grill behind looks awesome. Im guessing its too late now but this what you could do. Please move the rear seat a little bit more to the front, this will give you ample storage behind it or even space for speakers/subwoofer. Moving the seat forward will also give you the opportunity to add seat belts to the rear seat. The roll cage at the sides is way too high and will not provide adequte protection to people sitting at the rear in case of a side topple. The side bars should be at the level of the rear occupants face/head and not above them.
Thanks Dry Ice & bluetraveller
The rubicon lookalike is not mine . My pics are just of the chassis and the gearbox and the jeep hasent started comming to shape as yet. The other jeep belongs to someother guy and he is spending loads of cash on the conversion. I will be keeping mine as simple as possible from the outside but mechinically very sound

Last edited by harjeev : 4th January 2009 at 11:49.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 12:14   #126
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

Look how people are interested on this project! A lot of questions and sugessions.

Be keep us updated with each and every progress there.

tks/sali
Old 5th January 2009, 10:52   #127
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,
do share some info on the pS unit you have procured. The details including the cost.
And you will get all answers from me in a short while.
-Best regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 19:56   #128
BHPian

Hi all,

I am a newbie and just joined TB after so many attempts . I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I have also bought an Army Spec MM550XD which I am now going to restore with all your support, suggestions and help. I will start a new thread for my MM550 restoration if mods permit me .

Thanks

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 21:13   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi all,

I am a newbie and just joined TB after so many attempts . I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I have also bought an Army Spec MM550XD which I am now going to restore with all your support, suggestions and help. I will start a new thread for my MM550 restoration if mods permit me .

Thanks

Tarkesh
Hi Ricky,

Welcome on board! So one more 550 joined with us.. Please start a new thread with photos and details...

sadiq
Old 6th January 2009, 00:25   #130
BHPian

Default Where!! Where!!

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Tarkesh
Hey there pal, nice to see you have got your self a rare find.
Could you share with me where did you pick up the vehicle from?? did you get it in pune or anywhere around, i have been trying to get may hands on one from the past 3 months but in vain. last of which i plan to take harjeevs assistance in picking one from mayapuri.

if you could share your source it would save a lot of trouble and mony which could be put to better use.
obaidhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 00:35   #131
BHPian

Thumbs up Where!! Where!!

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Tarkesh
Hey there pal, nice to see that you have managed to get your hands on a really nice vehicle.

Id be really obliged if you could share info on where you purchased your vehicle from. I am from mumbai and am looking for a similar vehicle from the past 3 months but to no avail.

As a last resort i was looking at flying to Mayapuri and picking up a MM550 using harjeev's expertise, if i could find a vehicle on this side of india it would save a lot of effort and money that could be out to better use!!!
obaidhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 01:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be one mean looking jeep! can't wait to see it completed.
How long before the work gets done,Harjeev?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 10:52   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Look how people are interested on this project! A lot of questions and sugessions.

Be keep us updated with each and every progress there.

tks/sali
I know and I sometimes get confused whether people are referring to the the Rubicon project or my 550??
I would sure be updating the progress of the project from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Harjeev,
do share some info on the pS unit you have procured. The details including the cost.
And you will get all answers from me in a short while.
-Best regards,
HI Soumen,
I dont know the exact cost of the PS as I have not been doing a part to part negotiation with my cousin. But I do know that the PS, LSD's in front and full floating rear axles cost somewhere around 20K. Once the worrk is complete I will get detailed expense sheet. i.e. part by part.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks

Tarkesh
Congrats Tarkesh,
That is a nice find especially in Pune. Waiting for all the details, pics, cost estimate, plans for modification etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
This is going to be one mean looking jeep! can't wait to see it completed.
How long before the work gets done,Harjeev?
As again if you are referring to the Rubicon, that is not mine, and the work will be compleated by the 3rd or 4th week of Jan.

If you are referring to the 550 that will be done around the 1st or 2nd week of Feb
Old 6th January 2009, 12:14   #134
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks Sadiq I will start a new thread for sure. Thanks Obaid/Harjeev. I got the vehicle from Delhi only. Its very difficult to find the army vehicle in this side of the country. Even they send all auctioned vehicle to delhi or dismantle it here as a scrap.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 13:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

that good, now we need details and pics pics pics