Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 20:25   #151
BHPian
 
Torque-ative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 487
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Harjeev, can you throw some light on the NDMS tyres, their advantages and disadvantages, both on road as well as off road. I need to decode fast what to get for my CJ though im tilted towards the NDMS.

What about the Safari from MRF as it is an NDMS type tyre with some treads in the contact patch. Will those be better than the normal NDMS? Thanks in anticipation.

Hey V-16 Safari tread pattern has been discontinued.
Its an excellent pre-war tread pattern for Cj3B's.

Did you say CJ,..is it a CJ3B or a CJ-340.

If its a 3B, then look no further than the MRF 6:16 NDMS.
If its a CL/CJ 340 then look at a slightly wider (softer) tread pattern.

Make from the BF goodrich or Maxxis range should suit it good.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 22:08   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Harjeev,
Thats a pretty neat CJ3B you've got there.
Thanks Fazal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Harjeev, can you throw some light on the NDMS tyres, their advantages and disadvantages, both on road as well as off road. I need to decode fast what to get for my CJ though im tilted towards the NDMS.

What about the Safari from MRF as it is an NDMS type tyre with some treads in the contact patch. Will those be better than the normal NDMS? Thanks in anticipation.
Gogi
I have used the tyres for only 2.5 kms and my use is only off-road. For on road use I had the MM550 earlier and now have the gypsy. So I wouldn't be the right person to give you the correct advise, but still based on my limited experience
  • I bought the tyres as
    • they were cheap 2.5k for a tyre tube, one cant get a much better deal than that
    • in the looks department they look great with the overall stature of the CJ3B,
    • Size wise I would have preferred the 7X16 NDMS but they are not easily available, and the ones that are (SPEEDWAYS) are ridiculously priced
    • Fellow jeepers in NCR have been using them on CJ3B's, GPW's MB and all of them swear by it. Further these tyres I feel are a balance for all kinds of terrain mud, slush, rock, etc. The only place where I feel they lack slightly is sand. But again not that much. Balance of everything in one package
  • On Road use I will not be too confident to comment as the majority on road usage is traveling to the OTR venue twice a month, So for that usage they are great, other than this I drive is occasionally for leasure
  • I have driven them on speeds of 80ish but these tyres give me the most peace of mind and confidence at speeds of 50-65 km/hr with occasional flirting 70-75 km/hr
  • No idea about the safari tyres
I hope this helps
Cheers
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 23:54   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default

Thanks for your reply Harjeev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Hey V-16 Safari tread pattern has been discontinued.
Its an excellent pre-war tread pattern for Cj3B's.

Did you say CJ,..is it a CJ3B or a CJ-340.


If its a 3B, then look no further than the MRF 6:16 NDMS.
If its a CL/CJ 340 then look at a slightly wider (softer) tread pattern.

Make from the BF goodrich or Maxxis range should suit it good.
So that means i cant get a tyre with best of both worlds. i saw on the net that even Birla tyres make a similar tyre like the Safari. Would you know if that is available?

My Jeep is a CJ-3B Hurricane engined RCL.

Heres a link to my thread. Would like some advice there too. (Sorry for hijacking your thread Chadha saab)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-now-what.html (A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!)
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 13:18   #154
BHPian
 
Torque-ative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 487
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks for your reply Harjeev.
So that means i cant get a tyre with best of both worlds. i saw on the net that even Birla tyres make a similar tyre like the Safari. Would you know if that is available?
Nope BKT does'nt make this pattern either. Ask around with dealers they may have some old stock left.

There is another pattern from mrf called Big Rover. It looks purposeful but I have been told to stay away from this pattern, as this is basically a high mileage hard compound tyre for rural taxis.

Speedway 7.16's are available,..not proven though.
The Flying Laxman has a 9.5X16 on his Dodge weapons carrier.

You could give it a try. sales@speedwaystyres.com
Address the Mail to Randeep.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 14:32   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default JEEP Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
There is another pattern from mrf called Big Rover. It looks purposeful but I have been told to stay away from this pattern, as this is basically a high mileage hard compound tyre for rural taxis.
The MRF Big Rover is good tyre Off-Road, I have seen HBVivek's (Rainmaker) CJ3B in action with those tyres, and are very good on Mud and Rocks.

Willys Tire Application Chart on The CJ3B Page

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Jeep Bride - Mahindra Willys Petrol CJ4A ( CJ3B sibling ) - Ground up restoration abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 68 9th September 2016 11:49
Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD Spyder 4x4 Vehicles 39 4th September 2013 20:51
Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power trammway 4x4 Vehicles 68 10th August 2010 22:09
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's. 0333 4x4 Vehicles 33 5th March 2009 11:15
Mahindra CJ3B for sale headers Shifting gears 2 25th April 2007 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks