Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 16th April 2009, 19:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Kunaalsaigal,

Why not just go for a good looking well finished hard top/roof instead of trying to disguise one to look like a softtop.

bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 10:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Am not able to visualize this very well. But If I got it right, it means the roll bar would be under the metal sheet which would extend little more to the back?
Hi Dan,

I know its difficult to visualize and describe also, I am using Harjeev's pic to make you understand . Lets see if you can .

Now you can give ur feedback and suggestion.

Tarkesh
Attached Images

Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 10:35   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Dan,

I know its difficult to visualize and describe also, I am using Harjeev's pic to make you understand . Lets see if you can .

Now you can give ur feedback and suggestion.

Tarkesh
Hi Tarkesh,

What is the reason because of which you want to increase the B pillar and roll bar height?

I suggest keep the height same as in the roll bar height should not go higher than the wind screen height or infact keep it stock.

Cheers !!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 13:53   #109
BHPian

Hi Randeep,

To increase the roof height I have two main reasons

1) I am planning to fit Front facing seat at the rear and If I fit the seat as it is then the heads will be over the B piller height. To avoid this I have 2 options - Alter a fender by 2-3 inches at front corner to accomodate the seat and second- increase the height of the roof.
2) I like the roof set up of Gypsy or Invader which is inclned after B piller. I like the look basically.

Here I am not altering B piller or not doing any Mod with B piller. Th roof will be same as all 550 till B piller from wind screen and from B piller it will be inclined a bit by 2-3 inches and then flat like I have shown.

Here I am increasing the height of the bar and not the B piller. Plus I will fix safety belts for rear seats on that Bar .

I hope I am able to make you understand the design.

Can you pls tell me why u are saying to keep the height same?

Tarkesh
Old 17th April 2009, 14:36   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Randeep,

To increase the roof height I have two main reasons

1) I am planning to fit Front facing seat at the rear and If I fit the seat as it is then the heads will be over the B piller height. To avoid this I have 2 options - Alter a fender by 2-3 inches at front corner to accomodate the seat and second- increase the height of the roof.
2) I like the roof set up of Gypsy or Invader which is inclned after B piller. I like the look basically.

Here I am not altering B piller or not doing any Mod with B piller. Th roof will be same as all 550 till B piller from wind screen and from B piller it will be inclined a bit by 2-3 inches and then flat like I have shown.

Here I am increasing the height of the bar and not the B piller. Plus I will fix safety belts for rear seats on that Bar .

I hope I am able to make you understand the design.

Can you pls tell me why u are saying to keep the height same?

Tarkesh
Well do what suits you best Tarkesh but I bet your front facing seats are not going to be higher than the one fitted on the side. If its the same height then I dont think you need to raise the roof because if one sits straight and upright on the side seats his head does not really touch the roof.

But then as you said you like the design.

Cheers!!!!!!!
randeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarkesh,

I think you should check with redmm340 , I think thats his Blue MM550 posted, which also has front facing seats.

Personally like randeep said if it goes along the height of the B pillar looks better.

Again thats your call. Just check if you really need to increase height.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:12   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hi Tarkesh,

I think you should check with redmm340 , I think thats his Blue MM550 posted, which also has front facing seats.

Personally like randeep said if it goes along the height of the B pillar looks better.

Again thats your call. Just check if you really need to increase height.
Will surely check Dan before making any alteration.
Can anubody tell me that where will I get Shovel,Axe,Spade,- Ex Army for my 550 ? I enquired in Mayapuri with my sources but I think these are not available there. Anybody has info on this where will I get these in Mayapuri?

Tarkesh
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:30   #113
BHPian

You can get the axe and shovel in Dabwalli, i mean the original auction units, but these guys put some a really useless handles on it, with some gaudy looking design. It might be available in Mayapuri too, but i'am not aware of it.
The Dabwalli handles are too short to be of any use, and made of some light Amb di lakard, so it breaks easily, and whats more , they are screwed on to the jeep body by those idiots, rendering it entirely useless in case you really have to use them in an emergency situation. What you can do is to buy the hardware, and use a good and strong quality of wood like Teak or Talli (Don't know whatds it called in English) to make the handles. I found the older looking design of a spade from dabwalli, but since the army does'nt auction lots of axes, the ones available in Dabwalli are way to small to be used efficiently( it weigh less than a KG), therefore no good ones, so i finally found the kind i was looking for in Rampur in Himachal.
I think someone told me you can get some very good looking imported ones from delhi, but thats about all i know. I'am planning to open open up a offroad accessories cum modification garage in CHD in about a yr so maybe i can help you that time,lol.

Also, have you ever seen the axle/ spade mounts that come in the Army ambulance, the Tata sumo 4x4, those are very nice looking and very strong and convenient mounts and you can find plenty of them in Dabwalli too, but only 2 shops have it there(one of them i think belongs to a guy called Angreez).
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
You can get the axe and shovel in Dabwalli,

It might be available in Mayapuri too, but i'am not aware of it.

I think someone told me you can get some very good looking imported ones from delhi, but thats about all i know.
Hi Bikram,

I really doubt about the quality of Dabwali but anyways..
Can you pls find some details for me where in Delhi can I get the stuff? Even if it is Mayapuri , its fine. I also have told my source to find the same in Mayapuri.

Tarkesh
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:17   #115
BHPian

lol ,no , the Dabwalli guys don't make it themselves, they're all auctoned units.

In Mayapuri, there's this guy called Khanna, who has a shop by the same name. I think he sits right across that park in the middle of the entire market (that is i think the galli just before the traffic lights on the main road if you're heading from the Karol bagh side. This galli right at its enterance has a public toilet and a shop by the name of chaudhary motors. You just cannot miss it, as this is where they park the Auctioned gypsies and jeeps. If you go down this galli, you'll come across a park on the right-hand side. Just as you cross the park, or the ground, there's a road to the right side, and its the 2nd or the 3rd shop there). I've seen these with him, although since i'am not familiar with delhi/mayapuri roads, i cannot pin-point the exact location.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
lol ,no , the Dabwalli guys don't make it themselves, they're all auctoned units.

In Mayapuri, there's this guy called Khanna, who has a shop by the same name. I think he sits right across that park in the middle of the entire market (that is i think the galli just before the traffic lights on the main road if you're heading from the Karol bagh side. This galli right at its enterance has a public toilet and a shop by the name of chaudhary motors. You just cannot miss it, as this is where they park the Auctioned gypsies and jeeps. If you go down this galli, you'll come across a park on the right-hand side. Just as you cross the park, or the ground, there's a road to the right side, and its the 2nd or the 3rd shop there). I've seen these with him, although since i'am not familiar with delhi/mayapuri roads, i cannot pin-point the exact location.
Thanks Bikram,

That is also enough . I have a friend who does all the work there in Delhi. Basically he stays nearby. I have to just provide him the pics , he goes there...finds contacts for bargaining...does the deal... send it to me here in Pune.

I got all my missing parts of 550 from there only like Glow plugs, Blackout light swith(withS1,S2,S3 slots), LHS Brake caliper,4X4 housing , and small little things. That too veru cheap. As the break caliper costs something 2k+ I got is 300bucks a pair(even I required only LHS)

I will make him run for these things now. Poor guy does it for me.

Tarkesh
Old 24th April 2009, 19:49   #117
BHPian

You bought 2nd hand glow plugs?? Or did you had to specifically get new ones from delhi? I think the new ones should be available in Pune too.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
You bought 2nd hand glow plugs?? Or did you had to specifically get new ones from delhi? I think the new ones should be available in Pune too.
Hi Bikram,

I bought new plugs only but the ones which fits correctly on my 550 were not available here and the ones which were available were having less circumference than the slot so there was chance of plugs getting damaged or getting off after crank.

Tarkesh
Old 27th April 2009, 17:46   #119
BHPian

Did you try the Mahindra dealerships?
I think its pretty odd, since i heard the main Bosch dealerships are in Pune too.

Anyways, make sure you use only the Mico heatplug timer cutout. I tried other different (desi) timers on a Isuzu motored jeep i used to have, and none of them were good. They timed it bit longer than was supposed to and i always ended up with blown plugs and a pocket lighter by another 1 and a half thousand bucks.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:09   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Did you try the Mahindra dealerships?
I think its pretty odd, since i heard the main Bosch dealerships are in Pune too.

Anyways, make sure you use only the Mico heatplug timer cutout. .
Hi Bikram,

I checked with all the mahindra dealerships in Pune/Kolhapur(my native where the restoration is going on) even I had sent PM to Mr.Behram also but these dealerships were not having the plug, it was pretty surprising for me too.
In fact in Pune they told me that this is very rare glow plug and they have never ordered it since it was used in Pre DI Boleros and it was not available with them.

Yes I have got the Mico heat plug timer cut out .

Tarkesh