Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:53   #196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 30
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have been trying to get hold of OE Bolero mirrors but none of the M&M dealers here seem to have them in stock Can I order these online? I tried searching in eBay and Amazon but to no avail.
Recently I bought the bolero mirrors for my newly painted gypsy and it didn't fit. I had to drill holes in the body which felt like a nightmare. I have now settled for the original one and yes it doesn't look catchy. However Bolero mirrors are easily available in automobile shops and check wether they will fit or not before payment
Raul258 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:34   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,157
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
I have now settled for the original one
Did you manage to get an original one for LHS as well?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 20:05   #198
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 30
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Did you manage to get an original one for LHS as well?
Yes it is easily available in motor markets.. costs rs 60 only. I haven't fitted it yet because as I have to drill there.
Raul258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:20   #199
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,157
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Yes it is easily available in motor markets.. costs rs 60 only. I haven't fitted it yet because as I have to drill there.
Great! Can you please post pics of the set, if you don't mind? I am unable to get these on eBay or Amazon.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:51   #200
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 30
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Great! Can you please post pics of the set, if you don't mind? I am unable to get these on eBay or Amazon.
Don't have a better picture now as I'm out of station I hope this helps. The RHS mirrors are fitted
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-1477390812654.jpg  

Raul258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 15:57   #201
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,496
Thanked: 6,779 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Yes it is easily available in motor markets.. costs rs 60 only. I haven't fitted it yet because as I have to drill there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Great! Can you please post pics of the set, if you don't mind? I am unable to get these on eBay or Amazon.
Ask / search for old maruti omni mirror set, those came with this type of attachment.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:00   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,157
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Don't have a better picture now as I'm out of station I hope this helps. The RHS mirrors are fitted
Can you please send me a close-up of the LHS one which you have procured?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 21:41   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,157
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

I somehow feel my Gypsy's rolling resistance (in neutral) is more than my Alto. On a slight incline my Alto rolls (in neutral) but Gypsy would do so only on a steeper incline. Is this by design or an issue?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 17:46   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,098
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I somehow feel my Gypsy's rolling resistance (in neutral) is more than my Alto. On a slight incline my Alto rolls (in neutral) but Gypsy would do so only on a steeper incline. Is this by design or an issue?
The 4x4 transmission has more rolling resistance than a 4x2, that is why some vehicles use free wheeling hubs - to reduce the transmission resistance, otherwise the front wheels will be driving the front transmission all the way to the transfer box.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th November 2016 at 17:47.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 03:04   #205
BHPian
 
satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 801 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

If the gypsy is for keeps, then worth investing in Qualis mirrors. They are INR 900 each but will not get loose, rattle, vibrate or deform like Bolero mirrors. Also offer excellent adjustability and vision. you can get these at any Toyota dealership

The OE mirrors of the gypsy are trash and dont even bother buying the super cheap van passenger side mirrors...
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 15:53   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,157
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The 4x4 transmission has more rolling resistance than a 4x2, that is why some vehicles use free wheeling hubs - to reduce the transmission resistance, otherwise the front wheels will be driving the front transmission all the way to the transfer box.
Valid point. I guess that might be the reason for the difference in "feel" here. The Gypsy comes without FWH which means that front transmission / transfer case is always "live", thereby increasing the rolling resistance to an extent.

Any other thoughts from anyone else on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
If the gypsy is for keeps, then worth investing in Qualis mirrors. They are INR 900 each but will not get loose, rattle, vibrate or deform like Bolero mirrors. Also offer excellent adjustability and vision. you can get these at any Toyota dealership.

The OE mirrors of the gypsy are trash and dont even bother buying the super cheap van passenger side mirrors...
Completely agree that the OE mirrors are quite rudimentary when compared to some of the good ones out there. However, I somehow feel they go best with the looks of the Gypsy and all others - including the hugely popular Bolero ones - look like add-ons. Again, just my opinion. Let's see if I am able to get hold of the LHS OE soon - if not, I might just go for Bolero or Qualis ones.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 16:20   #207
BHPian
 
satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 801 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Valid point. I guess that might be the reason for the difference in "feel" here. The Gypsy comes without FWH which means that front transmission / transfer case is always "live", thereby increasing the rolling resistance to an extent.

Any other thoughts from anyone else on this?

.
The FW hubs were discontinued by Maruti back in 1995 for one very simple reason - Cost. At INR 16k a pair for the OE Aisin they aren't cheap (as they are Jap manufactured and imported) but they do serve a purpose as mentioned by many others on the forum. Again, its a question of investing in your rig and many here will shy away citing various reasons like "keeping things original" or "forgetting to lock them when offroading", etc. There are cheaper ones available from Warn, AVM, Superwinch etc but their quality is very average as the locking mechanism will clog up with muck over a period of time unless regulary maintained.

So its really upto you whether or not you want to go for them. Best to drive a gypsy that has them fitted and feel the difference in the drive.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 18:55   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Any inputs on installing Power Steering on an old Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi would be much appreciated.
Im in the process of buying an old Stock Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi just for my personal use and would like to consider the modification to have Power steering on it just for a little extra comfort.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 22:44   #209
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,496
Thanked: 6,779 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Any inputs on installing Power Steering on an old Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi would be much appreciated.
Best option is to source original unit from abroad (Thailand), rest need too much of modification and zap power. Another option is see if and EPS unit from an old zen can be fixed at column end. Much lesser modification required than going full hydraulic.

Honestly not really worth the trouble. Steering assist is needed only at parking speeds on a Gypsy.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 05:39   #210
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Any inputs on installing Power Steering on an old Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi would be much appreciated.
Im in the process of buying an old Stock Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi just for my personal use and would like to consider the modification to have Power steering on it just for a little extra comfort.
Shankar, If things go well my friend might be picking up a Gypsy with a EPS system already installed. I test drove it last Sunday and it worked fine albeit a little overservo-ed feeling if one is used to driving a non PS gypsy. You are welcome to come and test drive the same if we pick it up. Please let me know an easy way to contact you if you would like to. Cheers
sanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
For Sale Maruti Suzuki Gypsy 4*4 pdev29 Shifting gears 1 14th April 2007 07:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks