Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 01:35   #106
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 939
Thanked: 551 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

TEAM

My uncle who is 55 year old owns a 1993 MG 410 4WD.

He is on a lookout for entire gypsy body since the current body shell is in bad shape.
Any leads around Mumbai and pune or in Maharashtra would be fine with us.

Also is it possible to fit a electric Power Steering unit in a gypsy?
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 04:56   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 244
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
TEAM

My uncle who is 55 year old owns a 1993 MG 410 4W...
Sorry for being OT, but was curious to know why your uncle's age is relevant in this quest.

Cheers
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 09:46   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 313 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Thanks for the help codelust.

I shall check out the vehicle with a mechanic and take it up from there.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 02:23   #109
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 939
Thanked: 551 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Sorry for being OT, but was curious to know why your uncle's age is relevant in this quest.

Cheers
No relevance at all, i just wanted to tell team that he still adores his Jeep even at this age and at a stage wherein its not easy for him to maintain it.

Also the mention of age helps to creates a certain image of the person, doesnt it?

Heck he is even ready to shell out 70k for a new body if he doesnt find one.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 07:31   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 244
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado

No relevance at all, i just wanted to tell team that he still adores his Jeep even at this age and at a stage wherein its not easy for him to maintain it.

Also the mention of age helps to creates a certain image of the person, doesnt it?

Heck he is even ready to shell out 70k for a new body if he doesnt find one.
How dare you call 55 as old. I know you must be a 25 something to say that. At that age anything above 50 seems old. Ask your uncle what he thinks.

Alas, this does reveal my age or does it?

Cheers and kudos to your young uncle.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 10:27   #111
BHPian
 
karizma9292's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 206 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Which model gypsy diffs are these ? The perches position are different in each .

Name:  DSCN0929B.JPG
Views: 1334
Size:  149.6 KB
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 12:18   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Which model gypsy diffs are these ? The perches position are different in each ....
Guess they must be the narrow-track(pre-1992) and wide-track versions, hence different spring-perch positions. ~1992 was the year, when the wide-track version was launched.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 11:03   #113
BHPian
 
karizma9292's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 206 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Guess they must be the narrow-track(pre-1992) and wide-track versions, hence different spring-perch positions. ~1992 was the year, when the wide-track version was launched.
But the lengths look the same and different perch positions , narrow track gypsys had lesser width like you said . I guess wide track gypsy was launched in 1994.
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 18:22   #114
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Hi,
I have a 1997 model - MG410W ( Wide track ) . i was told by MASS that the wrong part which was shipped was for Gypsy King MG413W.
Gypsy_roadies is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 20:58   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Lightbulb re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_roadies View Post
...i was told by MASS that the wrong part which was shipped was for Gypsy King MG413W.
From the pics, the "wrongly ordered" part seems to have a manufacturing defect...the leaf-spring 'restraining ridges' are missing/have not been welded on. Check the bottom of the right side of the axles.

The MASS could have just told you the truth!

I dont think there is any visible difference between the MG410W and MG413W axles. The difference is inside.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 19:07   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 345 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Gypsy gurus - how easy / difficult is it to swap a 1.3 lit carb engine of a Gypsy King with a 1.3 lit MPFI? What are the changes needed?

Follow up question - what is the feasibility of getting hold of a used MPFI engine? How much would a new one (ordered from MUL) cost?

thanks in advance....
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 20:09   #117
BHPian
 
Bump-Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 82
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Hi all, I need some advice:
1. my transfer case gear lever starts to vibrate between 55 - 70 kmph at 4th gear . Had the vehicle checked at MASS with self in situ during the inspection of couse but called no joy....transfer case mounts seem to be intact and nothing seems to be out of whack or coming loose.
2. "Clunking" sound when suddenly accelerating or decelerating on 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes when dumping the clutch quickly
....could it be more than normal backlash on the diff pinions
Bump-Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 21:28   #118
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD-USaapA
Posts: 337
Thanked: 275 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi all, I need some advice:
1. my transfer case gear lever starts to vibrate between 55 - 70 kmph at 4th gear . Had the vehicle checked at MASS with self in situ during the inspection of couse but called no joy....transfer case mounts seem to be intact and nothing seems to be out of whack or coming loose.
2. "Clunking" sound when suddenly accelerating or decelerating on 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes when dumping the clutch quickly
....could it be more than normal backlash on the diff pinions
Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration?
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 21:32   #119
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD-USaapA
Posts: 337
Thanked: 275 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi all, I need some advice:
1. my transfer case gear lever starts to vibrate between 55 - 70 kmph at 4th gear . Had the vehicle checked at MASS with self in situ during the inspection of couse but called no joy....transfer case mounts seem to be intact and nothing seems to be out of whack or coming loose.
2. "Clunking" sound when suddenly accelerating or decelerating on 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes when dumping the clutch quickly
....could it be more than normal backlash on the diff pinions
Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration? If yes, then its definitely the mounts.
I'm not sure how you checked the mounts in MASS, you can get under the vehicle, grab the T-case and literally shake it . If it moves more than a little the mounts are bad.

MOD's please merge both the replies (delete the earlier one), not sure how it ended up as two replies.

Last edited by Twinn : 5th February 2016 at 21:34. Reason: Duplication
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2016, 21:43   #120
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD-USaapA
Posts: 337
Thanked: 275 Times
Default re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Gypsy gurus - how easy / difficult is it to swap a 1.3 lit carb engine of a Gypsy King with a 1.3 lit MPFI? What are the changes needed?

Follow up question - what is the feasibility of getting hold of a used MPFI engine? How much would a new one (ordered from MUL) cost?

thanks in advance....
If you are swapping the 1.3 cb to MPFI, you would need would be the upper portion of the the engine, like the intake, manifold, head and mainly the wiring. and most importantly the fuel tank, fuel pump also needs to be changed.

You can retain at-least 60% of your engine components and 50% of your wiring (Only the body wiring can be retained).. I'd suggest go for a whole wiring replacement in your case, saves a lot of wiring hiccups.

Cost depends on which part of the country you are and how good you are with getting a used engine. I think you'd get relative cheaper stuffs in Delhi and if you are really quite interested in this approach check with Aman (AutoAttitude) I think he is an Noida.

Edit: Looks like you are in Namma Bengaluru, parts is going to be a bit expensive.. but there are a lot of folks who work on Gypsy's here.. Pm me and I shall refer you to one, where my baby goes to service if in Bangalore.

Last edited by Twinn : 5th February 2016 at 21:46. Reason: Update
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
For Sale Maruti Suzuki Gypsy 4*4 pdev29 Shifting gears 1 14th April 2007 07:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks