Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th January 2009, 16:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

My friends, congrats on your jeep journey. . It feels great to know that the jeep community is ever growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
....you need to take it nice and slow in owning a jeep and becoming a real 4x4 off roadie!
Why slow my friend? I would say go full blast & head on. Do it with full passion, commitment & enjoy every moment of it -- the pain the frustration, the joys, the excitement, the learnings, the rip-off's, your mechanics sex life, cutting chai, etc etc..

There is no such thing as a 'real 4x4 off-roadie'. It is as real as the 'mythical western cowboy on a horse today'. I am sure almost all of us have day jobs and 4x4/jeeps/off-road is a stress buster and mostly a weekend affair (ok, sometimes a weekday also)

Quote:
..making a jeep will take away your quality time from your family and thats when things start going haywire...
That's nearly 100% true -- but if you can make your family to be a jeeper/off-road enthusiast then things can be a lots easy.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 17:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My friends, congrats on your jeep journey. . It feels great to know that the jeep community is ever growing.
Thanks khan and yeah the jeep community is grwoing in full throttle. Thanks to you people for igniting the minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
....Do it with full passion, commitment & enjoy every moment of it -- the pain the frustration, the joys, the excitement, the learnings, the rip-off's, your mechanics sex life, cutting chai, etc etc..
Best set of comments at your unique style.
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 20:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

hey kandisa,
Good to see your your thread and love your writing style. I was Going through the same phase., its just like my thoughts being written by some else.
Vhaibhav has correctly identified it as Jeepolovia.
Keep the reports coming
Harjeev
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 00:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

A MM440... Interesting. Did you know I had never heard of a MM440 until the day I bought my Jeep. In fact I saw my first MM440 on the same day, parked next to the CJ340 I bought that day. It is owned by Jammy, who goes by the forum handle MM440.

This is his MM440, it runs on petrol and LPG.

Very good start of a Jeep story, looking forward to the rest.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 14:11   #20
BHPian

How about a bit more info on the vehicle then, like what engine? what year? how is it different from the 540? Guess just a genral overview of what a Mahindra 440 was in its hay days.
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Even I dont know this vehicle!

More info please. Search on google did not reveal much either. 99% results redirect back to T-BHP.

Cheers!
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 14:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
How about a bit more info on the vehicle then, like what engine? what year? how is it different from the 540? Guess just a genral overview of what a Mahindra 440 was in its hay days.
I will write a little bit I know about the 440. The 440 was launched in 1985.
It uses the same 2.2 Litre F Head Hurricane petrol engine and T18 transfer case as found in the CJ3B.
The gearbox was KMT90 4 Speed forward unit (based on the T90 three speed unit from the CJ3B, however the ratio of top gear is 1:1 on both ).
Even the differentials are the same as the CJ3B but came with a 4.88:1 ratio(jeep gurus please confirm)

The body shell is identical to the 540/550, no changes there.

Last edited by gotzuk : 15th January 2009 at 14:40.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 14:53   #23
BHPian

Oh!!

I think I remember this Jeep!

Originally it was a petrol jeep only, right Vaibhav?

I have driven a Govt. Dept. 540 lookalike in petrol in Rajasthan. That must me this jeep only.

I think it was this.

Vinay Rathore
Old 15th January 2009, 15:07   #24
BHPian

Vinay,
The petrol version was called the MM440 and the diesel version, MM540.

Cheers
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 15:23   #25
BANNED

continuing with the discussion, if i may ask...how good is the petrol engine on MM440 and is it worth having it there in the jeep?

cheers:
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 15:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A MM440... Interesting. Did you know I had never heard of a MM440 until the day I bought my Jeep....
So did I as you will see in coming posts. Thanks for the appreciation and adding 'colours' to the post. Yeah, Harjeev, I also could relate to the feelings when i went through your posts. And thanks to gotzuk for already giving some detailing of the 440. Continuing with the story here is the 2nd part.

Part II
----------
Now, I didn’t want to take any plunge in a hurry and just because of the initial euphoria. So 1st of all, I tried to analyze what sort of purpose a jeep will serve to me. This was particularly important because arranging the fund wasn’t so easy and there is no point in investing a good amount unless it really serves some cause. Now it was the rainy season while all these thoughts were going on. The route to our office was pathetic and I was having this thought if I could have a tough vehicle, which can handle the abuse, the alto may be spared off the torture. Moreover like many I do also like to travel a lot. And nothing like travelling to places, particularly the off-beat ones, in a rugged vehicle. My inclination towards jeep was for the following reasons:
1. The history and heritage the JEEP carries
2. Nothing like the classic CJ type of look
3. Under able supervision, a reliable jeep can be built in a reasonable cost.
4. A jeep, being much basic, can be used with much less of worry compared to the common SUV’s, which need a careful handling

On the other side, there were couple of worries as well: 1st and foremost, ensuring absolute reliability in such type of old vehicle, also the kind of comfort and the ease/difficulty of driving. Anyways, with all these speculations going in my mind, one day I finally shared the thoughts with my better-half. Surprisingly she took it in a very positive manner and encouraged me to go ahead (lucky me;-p).
Thus more or less I finalized to go for a jeep for: drive on the bad roads to my office, moderate off-roading and for long distance off-roading sort of trips. Thanks to the forum, by that time, I at least could understand the names and some pros and cons of the common models of jeeps. So now that the purpose was decided, the next big question was what sort of jeep to go for.

I didn’t have the fund to go for the collectors’ items like the exotic GPWs and the Willys. Also since I was not to use the jeep for off-roading only, I wasn’t very inclined towards the SWB ones (though someday if everything goes well I will try my best to get hold of one). Not to mention these require quite a good technical understanding for a proper maintenance (Samurai’s thread on his 340 is a bible on this). Thus, what remained was the 540 domain. Though not as capable as the SWB jeeps as offroader, this category does seem to provide an all round mix of off-roading and cruising. So here came the next and the biggest question, how to get hold of one.

During this time the hot thread in the forum was the dabwali jeeps. Read about Mayapuri for the 1st time and heard about the places Moga, Malaut which can be potential hunting zones for jeeps. But these surely involve moving to those places and more importantly taking a competent person along, someone I wasn’t very familiar that time. Started some search in the sites dealing with 2nd hard cars, like carwale.com and came to know about bharathautomobiles site as well. The 1st jeep I came across in the listing was a ’94 model 540, which was put to sale by a Bengali gentleman in C.R. Park area. From the descriptions it looked good and the price was also reasonable. Rang him up the next morning to know that it has already been sold. It was a blessing in disguise I realize today. While the search for the vehicle was on, I was even more eager to find out someone around, who is technically competent and experienced with jeeps, to help me go ahead to find a jeep and its restoration as well.

To be continued……
P.S: One more post and you will get the pics
Old 15th January 2009, 16:06   #27
BHPian

At last,

We are blessed with the second post!

Just kidding Kandisa! Excellent writeup, can feel the camaraderie.

Waiting for the next one and specially the pics!

Cheers!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 15th January 2009 at 16:11.
Old 16th January 2009, 10:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
.... Excellent writeup, can feel the camaraderie. Waiting for the next one and specially the pics!
Thanks Vinay. Just trying to jot down the experience of a layman on getting acquainted with the jeep territory.Yeah you will see some snaps very soon.
-regards,
Old 16th January 2009, 10:20   #29
BHPian

Oh, we are blessed with Part II Good write up somen.

But I think currently you are in 4L 1st, maybe you could use 4L 2nd? With one pic to start with?

What say you guys Vaibhav and Vinay?
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 10:33   #30
BHPian

I totally agree,

Change gears man!!

We are waiting for the pics.

Cheers!