Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 6th September 2011, 19:28   #331
BHPian

Default Re: The story of my jeep: MM 440

wow - is the word! I know i am very very late here - but this is one awesome Jeep! Loved it fully!

I am new entry here, and just saw the thread today - read it in one go.

Congrats on the build and also kudos - lovely. Now i also want a replica
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:21   #332
Senior - BHPian

Amazing - Your trips are just amazing - I had to read it from page 1 thru - non stop - Congrats on achieving such a wonderful setup!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:58   #333
BHPian

Kandisa - Fantastic Jeep!!
One question though - what is the size of the big horns that you are running on your Jeep?
Do you face any problems with mounting these tyres on Gypsy rims?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:10   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
One question though - what is the size of the big horns that you are running on your Jeep?
Cheers,
Deepak
The tire size,as mentioned earlier as well,is 31x10.5 on r15 gypsy rims,and no,there is no problem what so ever in mounting them on it.i vouch for this tire as one of the best as we have tested it on every possible terrain/altitude/weather conditions.I hope this answers your question.
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:34   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
The tire size,as mentioned earlier as well,is 31x10.5 on r15 gypsy rims,and no,there is no problem what so ever in mounting them on it.i vouch for this tire as one of the best as we have tested it on every possible terrain/altitude/weather conditions.I hope this answers your question.
Thanks Renegade!
I was a bit worried, if it would be possible to mount 31X10.5 on the gypsy rims since it is 5.5J. Especially, during situations where you have to deflate.
Thanks again for clarifying that it is no problem.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:50   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
wow - is the word! ...
....Congrats on the build and also kudos - lovely. Now i also want a replica
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks and hope your jeep project has taken some concrete shape by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Amazing - Your trips are just amazing - I had to read it from page 1 thru - non stop - Congrats on achieving such a wonderful setup!!
Thanks a lot man. Hope to cover many more enjoyable and memorable trips in this Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Cheers,
Deepak
Thanks. As renegade has mentioned, the 5.5 gypsy rims were good enough to accommodate the 31x10.5 Bighorns. No problem so far in lock to lock condition, no balloon effect either. As and when budget permits, will look for some other steel wheels in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
....i vouch for this tire as one of the best as we have tested it on every possible terrain/altitude/weather conditions....
Yeah, till now as per our experience, i guess this is an M/T tyre which has the best on-road manner also apart from the usual advantages off the road. Extremely happy with the set and glad that these were picked up before the price hike.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:24   #337
BHPian

Soumen, Mandeep
Amazing. NO really its beyond that. Don't have words to explain this.
Would you do a JEEP on a budget over time for me too.
Mandeep & Soumen if its not too much to ask - could you PM me your numbers.
regards
salil
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 17:20   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
...Amazing. NO really its beyond that. Don't have words to explain this...
Thanks for those kind words. Sent you a PM.

Meanwhile since the thread has become alive after quite a long time, let me update with couple of facts and pics.
Firstly, the upgrade is on and this time the steering system has been paid attention to. Got the MRCBT type steering box installed with all the associated items. Fabricating the mounts in the front and other things needed a bit of thought, but was done successfully at the end. Quite a huge improvement compared to the earlier steering, fully satisfied so far. Like other mechanical upgrades, this one also was done in the authorized Mahindra workshop with all brand NEW and genuine spares and hence the bill was not very less!
Also installed new pair of front seats, customized Cruze seats having thigh & lumber adjustment with extra padding.

A new rear bumper+ tyre carrier is being designed by renegade, that will further increase the functionality of the jeep as and when it gets fitted. Rest all are small cosmetic modifications.

Here are some snaps of the jeep from two trips we made long time back: 1) Sariska & Alwar in Rajasthan and 2) at a buffer area of Corbett NP in the Kumaons, one of my favourite places to explore.

Snaps from Alwar & Sariska:

The story of my jeep: MM 440-jai_1.jpg

Name:  Jai_2.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  Jai_3.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  Jai_4.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  282.8 KB

Name:  Jai_5.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  251.7 KB

Name:  qila_1.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  136.8 KB

The story of my jeep: MM 440-qila_2.jpg

Name:  qila_3.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  452.0 KB

Name:  sariska_1.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  475.4 KB

The story of my jeep: MM 440-siliser.jpg

Snaps from somewhere in the buffer region of Corbett NP:

The story of my jeep: MM 440-1.jpg

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  118.0 KB

The story of my jeep: MM 440-gadappu_2.jpg

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  262.0 KB
Attached Images

Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 18:38   #339
BHPian

Kandisa ,

As Always Jeep looks Amazing.

Can you please share the details of the OKBJ conversion ? Like Which OKBJ Diff you use,The Disc Break etc..

- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 23:00   #340
BHPian

kandisa- amazing jeep and amazing pictures too,do give detailed report on the trip.
desigNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 10:51   #341
BHPian

Soumen,
Your Jeep looks awesome, especially with that wide stance... seriously drool maal. Added to that are all the fabulously functional mods done to it. So to put it succinctly- "Beauty with Brains". As Sreejesh said above please post details of the OKBJ and Discs used and if you have pics during the install- that'll give couch enthusiasts like me something to reve and drool over.
Overall one of the most purposefully built Jeeps I have seen. When are you planning to add a winch? Actually considering your usage do you need one at all?
regards
salil

Last edited by scphanse : 9th November 2011 at 10:52. Reason: correction for brevity.
scphanse is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 11:23   #342
BHPian

Soumen - Really need to see the 440 now. Amazing job you have done, but now need to see this in the flesh.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 11:24   #343
BHPian

Awesome photos my friend, keep updating.

If you don't mind can you please re-post the Tyre and Rim specs.
Are the Rims direct fit?
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 13:04   #344
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
....Can you please share the details of the OKBJ conversion ? Like Which OKBJ Diff you use,The Disc Break etc..
This is the 57" one. The disc brake is nothing special, AFAIK it is the standard one which comes in the latter versions of the jeeps/pick-ups. Just that all the fitted stuffs were brand new and not 2nd hand one, scavanged from scrap market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
kandisa- amazing jeep and amazing pictures too,do give detailed report on the trip.
Yeah have been thinking to put into a travelogue. Will do that at a suitable time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Soumen,
Your Jeep looks awesome, especially with that wide stance... .....As Sreejesh said above please post details of the OKBJ and Discs used and if you have pics during the install...............
Overall one of the most purposefully built Jeeps I have seen.
......When are you planning to add a winch? Actually considering your usage do you need one at all?
Thanks for all those comments. This jeep was definitely built with a purpose in mind and thankfully it has surely met the expectations so far. Unfortunately, i didn't have much of scope to go to the workshop regularly for the install, so no detailed pictures of these two conversions. Posting few very poor quality pics taken in cell.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  Image021.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  139.3 KB

The story of my jeep: MM 440-image025.jpg

Name:  Image037.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  80.5 KB

As per winch, it is definitely worth to have it. Realized that in a couple of situations. But considering the money to be spent and the requirement, i am not planning to add one in the short term, considering this is not the utmost necessity. Actually i need to get some proper seating arrangement in the rear now since a new member has arrived in our family and planning to resume the trips once she becomes a bit more 'mature'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Soumen - Really need to see the 440 now. Amazing job you have done, but now need to see this in the flesh.
Oh you are most welcome to come anytime and see it in person. Just let me know in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Awesome photos my friend, keep updating.

If you don't mind can you please re-post the Tyre and Rim specs.
Are the Rims direct fit?
Thanks. The tyres are 31 x 10.5 R 15 Maxxis Bighorn M/T 762, rims are standard new gypsy rims. Yes those are direct fit as the PCD is same 139.7 with 5 hole pattern.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 16:18   #345
Senior - BHPian

Time just passes by so quickly. After digging the thread realized that its been more than two and half years since there was any update! Though i thought that post the addition of our new family member in 2011, the importance of jeep was slowly going to reduce, but thankfully it didn't. The jeep has been going strong as usual and serving as a wonderful companion for numerous trips we have made in between.

Followings have been done in the last two years:
1. A brand new wiring harness, OEM one with bit of customization to suit the present form.
2. A brand new UCAL carb to eliminate any niggles with the older nikki one, which i have kept as a spare.
3. A set of front facing seats from Innova were fitted in the rear to accommodate my office pool members (thankfully they agreed to travel in the jeep as it is my daily drive!) and occasional additional traveller, my photography enthusiastic brother. It served as a platform for placing the baby seat also with some mountings on the rear roll bar.
4. A roof rack with body mounted support structure. This was again a necessity to accommodate the good amount of stuffs we carry now a days for our trips including all the provisions for the little one. Though the execution was not exactly same as i wanted, it is more than enough to serve the purpose.

Though ideally, i should have written some full fledged travelogues for few of the trips, posting few of the snaps as a glimpse of the journeys in between.

Somewhere inside Sonanadi wildlife sanctuary

The story of my jeep: MM 440-img_009811.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-img_0233.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-img_0280.jpg

One of the few 'jeep-only' kind of terrains we have travelled:

The story of my jeep: MM 440-img_0343.jpg

En-route Chanshal in Himachal Pradesh

The story of my jeep: MM 440-picture-397.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-picture-664.jpg

Into the clouds of Chanshal

The story of my jeep: MM 440-picture-7111.jpg

One of the many beautiful Forest/PWD Rest Houses we have been, at Larot, HP.

The story of my jeep: MM 440-picture-454.jpg
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote