Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 10:05   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Somen - jst saw the videos , What a jeep man! It was flying!!
Thanks, it was a combination of the machine and the man behind the steering. But this is not the end of it, lets wait and watch whats more in store.
Quote:
Post the link to this thread on the NIOC site, let everyone enjoy.
I guess it would be better to show it physically in an outing to the NIOC jeepers. And that time is not far away.
Quote:
M - You have transformed this vehicle buddy. Brilliant job!
He he, what else can you expect when it is getting built in his hands from the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
lets stick to 440's story.its kandisa's jeep which is the center of attraction here and not anyone of us
Yeah hopefully the attraction will sustain. By the way, noticed your avatar
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 21:30   #107
BHPian
 
renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 184
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

thanks buddy for your kind words,i try to do the best as i enjoy driving a lot and i am finiky about refinement.i love to visualise jeeps in different styles,i am working on some designs for myself and have started working on it.i do 3d modelling so its easier for me to visualise the outcome and is easeir to fabricate parts if you have 3d drawing before hand with dimensions.come over to our office sometime and we can have a good jeep dinner,will call few other jeepers also.how about a b-b-q?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Somen - jst saw the videos , What a jeep man! It was flying!! Post the link to this thread on the NIOC site, let everyone enjoy.

M - You have transformed this vehicle buddy. Brilliant job!
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:17   #108
BHPian
 
GoSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 507
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
thanks buddy for your kind words,i try to do the best as i enjoy driving a lot and i am finiky about refinement.i love to visualise jeeps in different styles,i am working on some designs for myself and have started working on it.i do 3d modelling so its easier for me to visualise the outcome and is easeir to fabricate parts if you have 3d drawing before hand with dimensions.come over to our office sometime and we can have a good jeep dinner,will call few other jeepers also.how about a b-b-q?
M buddy - check out my gypsy diesel conversion thred - any advise on my questions there would be very welcome!

Dinner soungs good. Will give us a chance to disciss our passion!!

PS: sorry somen , intention is not to pull people away from your thread
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:19   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
..Dinner soungs good. Will give us a chance to disciss our passion!!
PS: sorry somen , intention is not to pull people away from your thread
Chill man, why you sound so apologetic! And yeah, a time-out on discussing about jeeps is always great. I am fortunate to be very near to the workshop
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 12:07   #110
BHPian
 
GoSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 507
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Hi Somen - how is the work going? Any updates?

P.S. - M - how about that dinner on the 21st/22nd weekend?
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 00:10   #111
BHPian
 
renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 184
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

i'm all set to roll,as far as kandisa's jeep is concerned,well i have to start the body work and i think it will happen in the coming week or so.i am still confused on the design part as of now,got some ideas for the roof and tailgate,but thinking to fix the jeep first and make it a good ride before i get into fabrication,which can anyways happen later.first and foremost issue is the mechanicals needs to be reliable,which are sorted,then kandisa should be able to drive it the way it should be,then look into fabrication part as kandisa and i would like to convert this jeep into a crawler,got few designs ready but i want to go easy on them at the moment.Now the dinner part,i am open to any date,lets fix up and have a nice dinner at noida,vaibhav has also come but is preparing for the desert storm.Let me know what you guys decide on the dinner part,i am open to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi Somen - how is the work going? Any updates?

P.S. - M - how about that dinner on the 21st/22nd weekend?
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 10:23   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Well Ankit you got the status as of now as renegade has already mentioned. Yes, as emphasized from the beginning, the 1st thing we want to be dead sure about is the reliability in terms of mechanical functionality so that it is not restricted to an occasional drive vehicle. Substantial things have already been done, now that it has been driven out, some feedbacks are noted and accordingly remaining few things would be sorted out very soon. Will surely update when its done.
Regarding the dining, well i don't have any issue on weekend evenings except this saturday. So any saturday/sunday you people are comfortable with is ok for me. Let M recover completely, Jas be bit free from his duties, we will have it before the winter is gone
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 13:36   #113
BHPian
 
nofear9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default 1.8

Hello Kandisa
Just would like to know whether the isuzu 1.8 petrol engine used for your jeep is powerfull enough.
What i mean to say is the jeep is heavy and originaly bears a 2.1 l diesel so do you get good power, because many people use this engine for the gypsy and they say the gypsy just flies with it.
and also whats the bhp of the 1.8 engine.
Regards
Hrishikesh
nofear9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:44   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear9009 View Post
Hello Kandisa
Just would like to know whether the isuzu 1.8 petrol engine used for your jeep is powerfull enough.....
Hello Hrishikesh,
I agree, for the weight of the vehicle, more power probably would have been good. This jeep originally came with a 2.2 hurricane Petrol engine. This is a carb Isuzu and bhp is probably around 70 or so. If the engine is installed even in an SWB jeep like 3b, definitely the vehicle will fly because of the much reduced weight. But thats probably not advisable unless in very expert hands. There is one such jeep i know which is able to literally rob of anybody's happiness on road (including a brand new modded Lancer as per practical experience)

Now for a replacement petrol engine, there is nothing better than this Isuzu. I have seen this engine running on an even heavier jeep, and there is no complaint regarding the performance. Also there was an MM540 ISZ model around 2000 which used to come with Isuzu and the reviews about that jeep was also pretty good. In my case, the engine-gearbox set up will also be much more suitable in terms of frequent driving characteristics. Lastly, since this is a petrol jeep, the scope for performance improvement is enormous at each level. So once I get habituated with the basic vehicle configuration we can keep on adding those step by step for more and more gains.
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 11:37   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Update

Well, its been a long time since i updated this thread. In gist, couple of uncontrollable happenings delayed the activities for quite some time. Though i guess thats quite common in any jeep restoration project..! Anyways, the latest news is that, the jeep has been sent to the denter's custody for the necessary work on the body. The rear floor is very badly damaged and its being changed. Also there is quite significant rust in the b-piller area. The doors will also be changed as the previous ones didn't have any glass panel. Here are few recent snaps. As always, mandeep has been taking all the pains to supervise the activities and doing all the runnings for me!
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my jeep: MM 440-image42.jpg  

The story of my jeep: MM 440-image43.jpg  

The story of my jeep: MM 440-image44.jpg  

Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 13:13   #116
BHPian
 
GoSlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 507
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Hi Somen

How have you been buddy? You seem to have dissapeared from the OTR world. We missed you at quite a few of them!

Good to see the work is progressing! Mandeep's passion will transform this vehicle.

All the best guys

Cheers
Ankit
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:57   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

HI Ankit,
Thanks, i am perfectly fine. The distance to Manesar and the summer have been the factors for not attending last few OTRs. This time though the weather was really nice but we went to pick up some stuffs for the jeep, so couldn't go. Yeah the work has started and hopefully it will continue without much of hitch
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 12:39   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Hurricane vs Isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Hello Hrishikesh,
I agree, for the weight of the vehicle, more power probably would have been good. This jeep originally came with a 2.2 hurricane Petrol engine. This is a carb Isuzu and bhp is probably around 70 or so. If the engine is installed even in an SWB jeep like 3b, definitely the vehicle will fly because of the much reduced weight. But thats probably not advisable unless in very expert hands. There is one such jeep i know which is able to literally rob of anybody's happiness on road (including a brand new modded Lancer as per practical experience)

Now for a replacement petrol engine, there is nothing better than this Isuzu. I have seen this engine running on an even heavier jeep, and there is no complaint regarding the performance. Also there was an MM540 ISZ model around 2000 which used to come with Isuzu and the reviews about that jeep was also pretty good. In my case, the engine-gearbox set up will also be much more suitable in terms of frequent driving characteristics. Lastly, since this is a petrol jeep, the scope for performance improvement is enormous at each level. So once I get habituated with the basic vehicle configuration we can keep on adding those step by step for more and more gains.
-regards,
Hi Kandisa,

F4-134 vs 1.8L Isuzu

Torque -- 16Kgm@2000rpm(12Kgm@900rpm) vs 13Kgm@3300rpm
Bhp -- 51/72Bhp vs 70Bhp

By sheer torque characteristics which do you think is better?

What gearbox & Transfer Case are you using for the JEEP?

I remember a 1.8L CJ3B from a few years ago, I remember it flying only on the road.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 16th May 2009 at 12:40.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 21:33   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Hi Arka,
Pleasure to have your comments.
Well there is no doubt that from off-roading point of view and torque characteristics the Hurricane is way better. In fact we wouldn't have the changed the engine at the 1st place if this jeep was an OTR-exclusive vehicle (If situation permits I definitely dream of having a hurricane powered 3b in future to be used only for OTRs). But, as i repeatedly mentioned in the thread, the purpose of this jeep demanded a petrol engine which is lot hassle-free on frequent usage basis, more on the fuel economy and moreover enables a 5-speed gbox set-up straightway. We couldn't find anything better than the Isuzu on these fronts. The gbox is: 4x4 Isuzu gearbox (trooper) with in-built transfer case.
-regards,
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:31   #120
BHPian
 
renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 184
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

soumen,i guess you should post some more pics,update your jeep story a bit,its been quite a while.

cheers
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
280 BHP and 440 Nm Torque from a 2.0L engine - My '09 Audi A3 Turbo raneeshvijayan Modifications & Accessories 14 23rd September 2014 05:32
My CJ3A Story, Jeep Gurus please read! vinayrathore 4x4 Vehicles 12 24th December 2009 21:04
Cruiser version of MM550/440 svpatra 4x4 Vehicles 16 16th November 2009 13:49
Jeep --- The untold story. egangsta 4x4 Vehicles 48 18th June 2009 15:08
McKinsey: Indian Asset Management Biz To Grow 3-Fold To $440 Billion By 2012 nishantgandhi Shifting gears 2 11th March 2008 12:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks