Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 2nd December 2009, 23:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gurus,

Did not want to start a new thread.

I am planning to sell off my WagonR and get a Gypsy (finally)

I have checked out a 2003 King MPFI on a website (will check it out this weekend). The price quoted is 275000. The dealer says that its got an AC (he was adamant over the phone that it was not retrofitted) however i am not sure whether a gypsy comes with an AC.

Can you gurus please suggest whether the price is good and can someone help me on checking what should i look for below the bonnet to see if the engine is in good condition. I am an amateur and cant identify whether the engine is good.

Kindly help. Finally after a long time i have decided to go for the Gypsy. Just want to make sure that i dont make any mistakes.

Many Thanks Gurus.

Regards,
Raj.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:41   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
This is what I have seen as well, but then I never drove a brand new Gypsy. Still think 135 is far fetched, hence asked Dwarka to get his speedo checked or compared against another car. He doesn't seem inclined though.
I have done 135 in my gypsy with the old SOFT TOP again on the Pune-Mumbai expressway: so its possible. Test came to an end when the soft top blew off!

So 125+ is definitely possible. How stable it is at that speed (esp with the soft top) is another story!
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I have done 135 in my gypsy with the old SOFT TOP again on the Pune-Mumbai expressway: so its possible. Test came to an end when the soft top blew off!

So 125+ is definitely possible. How stable it is at that speed (esp with the soft top) is another story!
You have MPFI King,right?
The gypsy in question above is the MG410W with 45 bhp engine,i had one and it never crossed 110 on speedo,even after standing on Speedo for Kms
and yeah soft top used to turn into a parachute at speeds in excess of 100.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:03   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi Gurus,

....The dealer says that its got an AC (he was adamant over the phone that it was not retrofitted) however i am not sure whether a gypsy comes with an AC.
410 did have a factory fitted A/C as option.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 01:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sutripta,

Can you give your views on the price quoted and the main things to check in the engine apart from body work and tyres and interiors...

I might go over the weekend to take a peek at whats there on offer...

Many Thanks
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 09:32   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You have MPFI King,right?
The gypsy in question above is the MG410W with 45 bhp engine,i had one and it never crossed 110 on speedo,even after standing on Speedo for Kms
and yeah soft top used to turn into a parachute at speeds in excess of 100.
I hope you meant standing on the accel pedal! :P
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:22   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
410 did have a factory fitted A/C as option.

Sutripta
Oops. forgot to add "but I don't think the 413 had that option"

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:13   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Speedo is working fine. Not done any modifications to engine. My gypsy engine is in perfect condition and had been opened for change of stardard size piston rings only a couple of years back.

I build up the speed not by revving, but increasing cruise. It is up to you to make conclusions of your own.

It is possible to touch those speeds on the Gypsy King- In fact the reason I chanced upon this forum was because on my way back from Rajmachi in my Gypsy yesterday, I managed to touch 135+ without really revving but cruising over the straighter stretches.
Also I'm pretty sure the speedo meter is working fine because I had a Swift trying to outrun me and I checked with him at the Belapur signal and he did say we were at 130+ on some stretches.
Carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 18:32   #69
BHPian

Post Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
The gypsy had a 1 litre - 45 bhp engine.

Was a great engine, bullet proof reliability.

But was a bit underpowered.

The Gypsy King had the 1.3 litre - 62 bhp engine, imported from the Esteem.

Great combo, makes up the shortage of power in the earlier model.

The newer versions of the same have an MPFi, hence bettering the ouput to 82 bhp. (not present in the 98 model)

Its a great car to drive on rough roads.

The torque comes at the right rpm and that coupled with all 4 leaf spring suspensions, makes it a good one off the road.

But do not expect any kind of comfort from this one. It is meant for hard core driving. Especially the rear seat has an extremely bumpy ride.

I sold my 1990 model , hard top , wid AC and bridgestone radials for 56 K.

So my estimate for a 98 hard top with AC (assuming good tyres) would be somewhere around 90K to 1lac.

I'm not sure about the source of your information , but even the carburettored Gypsy King made 80 BHP (as per Gypsy King 1998 owner's manual).
My father sold his 1998 Gypsy in Jan 2011 for 1.1 lakh rs.
Fuldagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 21:02   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap

I'm not sure about the source of your information , but even the carburettored Gypsy King made 80 BHP (as per Gypsy King 1998 owner's manual).
My father sold his 1998 Gypsy in Jan 2011 for 1.1 lakh rs.
Gypsy King with Carburetor engine was same as Esteem engine - pre MPFI engine. It produced around 65 BHP and never produced 80BHP. The MPFI engine produced 85 BHP in Esteem and around 82 BHP in Gypsy.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 17:03   #71
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Gypsy King with Carburetor engine was same as Esteem engine - pre MPFI engine. It produced around 65 BHP and never produced 80BHP. The MPFI engine produced 85 BHP in Esteem and around 82 BHP in Gypsy.
Have you ever had a look at Gypsy King's (1998) owner's manual. That was the first owner's manual i read in my life, was a kid then. Gypsy was the first car that i started driving. When i started reading the owner's manual i was bewildered to read that it mentioned somewhere in the starting something like this: "This is not a normal road going car, this is an all terrain vehicle......" which drew all my eagerness, imagination then. I regret giving the owner's manual to the person who bought my father's Gypsy , otherwise could have inserted here a scanned copy of specs sheet from the manual.

What i'm trying to emphasize saying all this is that i clearly remember the power output of 1998 Gypsy King as specified in the manual to be 80 BHP.
Also, i never heard/found a Gypsy King to be 65 BHP powered not even on Maruti's website ever. True as you say, Esteem's engine was used but the power output and tuning was very different.
I hope someone posts some evidence/facts over here.
Fuldagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
...What i'm trying to emphasize saying all this is that i clearly remember the power output of 1998 Gypsy King as specified in the manual to be 80 BHP....
Some facts about the "Maruti Suzuki Gypsy" :

MG410/W (plain-vanilla Gypsy) with 1.0L F10A engine --> ~ 45 BHP
MG413W (Gypsy King) with the 1.3L carburetted engine --> ~ 60 BHP
MG413W (Gypsy King) with the 1.3L MPFI (G13B?) engine --> ~ 80 BHP

This is what was generally available to the public. Maybe what you had was a one-off piece. AFAIK, there was no 1998-model Gypsy King with stock carburetted engine producing 80 BHP.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 17th February 2012 at 19:46.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 20:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap

Have you ever had a look at Gypsy King's (1998) owner's manual. That was the first owner's manual i read in my life, was a kid then. Gypsy was the first car that i started driving. When i started reading the owner's manual i was bewildered to read that it mentioned somewhere in the starting something like this: "This is not a normal road going car, this is an all terrain vehicle......" which drew all my eagerness, imagination then. I regret giving the owner's manual to the person who bought my father's Gypsy , otherwise could have inserted here a scanned copy of specs sheet from the manual.

What i'm trying to emphasize saying all this is that i clearly remember the power output of 1998 Gypsy King as specified in the manual to be 80 BHP.
Also, i never heard/found a Gypsy King to be 65 BHP powered not even on Maruti's website ever. True as you say, Esteem's engine was used but the power output and tuning was very different.
I hope someone posts some evidence/facts over here.
Dude, all manufacturers are known to print generic owner's manual for all different models that they offer. It might be the case that you read specifications of engine that was offered in other countries and not in India. But again, I haven't heard any carbureted engine from Maruti producing 80 BHP offered in Gypsy or Esteem.

Here is what I got from Wiki:

Maruti Gypsy introduced in 1985, called MG410 with 970cc engine (F10A) producing 45 BHP. This engine was shared with Maruti 1000.

In 1996, they introduced 1.3L engine (Carbureted - GB13A) producing 65 BHP called MG413W. This was shared with Esteem.

In 2000, with new emission rules kicking in, Maruti converted entire engine range to MPFI. That's when they introduced engine - GB13BB producing 82 BHP in Gypsy and 85 BHP for Esteem.

Here is the link:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maruti_Gypsy
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 09:37   #74
BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Hi guys, have some doubts as I'm new to gypsy and planing to get one for me. I saw a gypsy for sale at my town, its a 95 model widetrack ST with 70k kms done with 5 alloys and wide tires (there is only a very low amount of life left in them) and the body is really good. the guy is asking 1.8L for the vehicle is it worth it ? and is the 95 model widetrack equipped with the asian freewheeling hub ? another doubt would be about the leaf springs in the back, there is only one leaf at each side, is it like this in the stock gypsy spring set or has the guy took out the rest of the leaf for comfort ? waiting for you reply...
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:36   #75
BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Hi guys, have some doubts as I'm new to gypsy and planing to get one for me. I saw a gypsy for sale at my town, its a 95 model widetrack ST with 70k kms done with 5 alloys and wide tires (there is only a very low amount of life left in them) and the body is really good. the guy is asking 1.8L for the vehicle is it worth it ?
In all likelihood this is a I litre. So I would suggest you avoid buying this specific model as you will find it underpowered.

Quote:
and is the 95 model widetrack equipped with the asian freewheeling hub ?
IIIRC the last set of gypsy's with free wheeling hubs were sold with the first lot of 1litre widetracks. Post that they were discontinued. Having said that I have retrofitted the Aisin hubs on my 2008 model. So those mean much in terms of vehicle lineage. Very good to have though..

Quote:
another doubt would be about the leaf springs in the back, there is only one leaf at each side, is it like this in the stock gypsy spring set or has the guy took out the rest of the leaf for comfort ? waiting for you reply...
you guessed it right. fewer leaves = comfy ride = high risk of breakage = low reliability especially offroad.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote